Thread: Trade Mik Granlund for Draisaitl?

Dobber Sports Veteran

Default Trade Mik Granlund for Draisaitl?

I put some players in my sig on the block looking to hopefully upgrade my forwards and got this offer. I was hoping to get a 2 for 1 deal otherwise I will need to cut deep into my prospects at the end of season. The other GM is competing this year.

I'm not sure Granny ever hits 60, maybe I'm just impatient? I'm projecting to finish mid pack this year and Mik is one guy I'm kind of forced to dress. Moving him will help me finish lower on the board and get a better pick next year. Question is, what will come of Drai? Will he one day outproduce what I would be trading away? He isn't exactly lighting up the AHL and the Oilers don't seem to have room. Feels like a sideways move, kind of stumped.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Default Re: Trade Mik Granlund for Draisaitl?

I haven't watched Draisaitl play much, but from what I gather he's has plenty of potential and is a solid tier 1-2 prospect at this time.

My take on Granlund is that he'll likely never eclipse 60 points. As an owner I've watched him quite a bit the past two seasons and feel like I've got a good handle on him.
    As you know, he's a smaller player and has missed time due to concussion in his first two seasons and a broken arm last season. I feel that these injuries have made him a perimeter type player as he generally stays well away from the dirty areas and quickly gets rid of the puck when he has possession (this is almost always a pass and not a shot on net). He's now on the top PP, but seems to keep himself glued to the half wall and rarely gets involved in the play beyond just simple cycling of the puck.

I bet he was much more successful at the lower levels because the play was less physical and he was willing and able to involve himself more directly in the offense. You have to give credit to MIN, they put him on the top line straight away last season and haven't moved him since. They are giving him plenty of opportunity, which is more than a lot of players in his position receive, but they did sign him to just a two year deal this offseason. He's going to need to stay healthy for an entire season to get into 50 point territory and going beyond that will take a change in his game.

Bottom line IMO is that he is not top line material at this point in his career. Granlund is still young, but he's going to have to stay more consistently healthy and better adapt his play to the NHL game to keep his top center spot in MIN.

If you're looking be less competitive Drais will certainly accomplish that. Granlund doesn't have a whole lot of value given his injuries, production history, etc. I'd be surprised to land Draisailt for Granlund just a month ago, but now might not be a bad time to make that move.
    Full Keeper: 10 Team (300 drafted), H2H, Daily, Y!
    Roster: 4C, 4LW, 4RW, 6D, 2G, 10Reserve, 1IR
    Stats: G, A, +/-, PIM, PPP, SOG, FW
              W, GAA, SV, SV%, SHO

C: Backes, Toews, Couture, Scheifele, Horvat, Fabbri
    LW: Landeskog, Galchenyuk, Lucic, Palat
    RW: Kucherov, MacKinnon, Carter, Coyle, Kassian
    D: Karlsson, Klingberg, Josi, Shattenkirk, Ekman-Larsson, Phaneuf, Nurse, Ceci
    G: Holtby, Allen, Lack, Greiss, Enroth, Kuemper

2015 League Champion
    2016 League Champion

Dobber Sports Monster

I got the chance to see him play last season in Kamloops. He didn't have his greatest game but got 1 assist. I would keep Granlund if I were you. But man I love watching WHL hockey. I just may watch the Cougs next home game Edit. Going to watch Kamloops home game on Friday vs Lethbridge

Dobber Sports Veteran

I think Ill try to make this part of a bigger deal, knowing he is interested.

Granlund + Simmonds + Ju Schultz (this GM owned him last year) for Draisaitl + ???

Any chance I could land Duchene, or Strome in that or am off my rocker?

Dobber Sports Monster

Quote Originally Posted by audiopile View Post
    I think Ill try to make this part of a bigger deal, knowing he is interested.

Granlund + Simmonds + Ju Schultz (this GM owned him last year) for Draisaitl + ???

Any chance I could land Duchene, or Strome in that or am off my rocker?
    I like

Granlund, Simmonds, Shultz

for

Duchene, Draisaitl

Draisaitl is good but he is a prospect. Maybe throw that trade at him. Once you send this offer just keep thinking of GLEN SATHER WITH CIGAR IN MOUTH

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by StuntMan12 View Post
    I like

Granlund, Simmonds, Shultz

for

Duchene, Draisaitl

Draisaitl is good but he is a prospect. Maybe throw that trade at him. Once you send this offer just keep thinking of GLEN SATHER WITH CIGAR IN MOUTH
    Denied, and pretty quickly too.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

It's never too late to go for it!!

Just as an example, last season I was third last until January but I kept a win-now mentality. I came back to win. I made trades to fix my def mid-season (which I basically destroyed again to get McDavid), picked up Dubnyk when he was still in Arizona, and traded for Kopitar one week before his resurgence. You just never know!

So personally, I wouldn't make this trade. What exactly will Draisaitl do this season to skyrocket his value anyways? He's not going to light it up like no tomorrow on a stacked forward group in Edm. When Eberle gets back, that becomes even more true.

If you really want Drai, I'll bet you can pull this off closer to season's end, when you really know if you got a shot or not. Granlund might even surpass your expectations this year too.
    12 team keeper
    Points only: G-1, A-1, W-2, SO-3; weekly rosters: 7F, 5D, 2G; keep 20 of 25

F: Tavares, McDavid, RNH, Stepan, Okposo, Brassard, Stone, Scheifele, Zibanejad, Ehlers, Larkin, Lindholm, Namestnikov
    D: OEL, Hamilton, Mo. Rielly, Parayko, Gostisbehere, Trouba, Theodore
    G: Price, Dubnyk, Lehner, Hellebuyck, Greiss

2014-15 Champ

Dobber Sports Icon

Quote Originally Posted by Nikerato View Post
    What exactly will Draisaitl do this season to skyrocket his value anyways?
    Draisaitl is set to play on the wing with RNH and Hall tonight against Montreal. That is the one thing that he could do to skyrocket his value.

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by Nikerato View Post
    It's never too late to go for it!!

Just as an example, last season I was third last until January but I kept a win-now mentality. I came back to win. I made trades to fix my def mid-season (which I basically destroyed again to get McDavid), picked up Dubnyk when he was still in Arizona, and traded for Kopitar one week before his resurgence. You just never know!

So personally, I wouldn't make this trade. What exactly will Draisaitl do this season to skyrocket his value anyways? He's not going to light it up like no tomorrow on a stacked forward group in Edm. When Eberle gets back, that becomes even more true.

If you really want Drai, I'll bet you can pull this off closer to season's end, when you really know if you got a shot or not. Granlund might even surpass your expectations this year too.
    Our league standing are pretty stagnant, and there isn't much trading going on so end of season predictions are fairly accurate. I also lost two of my best to injury in Barkov and Schwartz so there is no going for it this year. Next year is when I feel I will be more competitive for a top 3. I like your suggestion to wait until the later in the season.

Quote Originally Posted by chuckcouples View Post
    Draisaitl is set to play on the wing with RNH and Hall tonight against Montreal. That is the one thing that he could do to skyrocket his value.
    I'd rep you but it won't let me.

Anyone's opinion changed after the weekend? The offer is still on the table. I'm not biting yet, but I have started to drool a bit.

Dobber Sports Initiate

I would not do it. I think that top line for Minny could catch fire at some point this season, and Granlund would benefit greatly.
    ---------
    12 team ESPN H2H
    auction draft (260 budget)
    limited keeper (4 keepers)
    2016-17 Champion, 2017-18 Runner-up
    G,A,+/-,PIM,PPP,GWG,FOW
    W,SO,GAA,SV%
    Start 1 LW/C/RW, 3 D, 3 Util, 2 G

C - J. Hughes
    LW - Panarin
    RW -
    D - Bouchard
    G - Levi

Packer Fan

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by chuckcouples View Post
    I think we have different perceptions of the term "skyrocket."

When Eberle gets back I don't see how he would keep up any meaningful production unless he bumps Yak or Pouliot off. A few weeks of production will hardly move the needle at the end of the year if Edm doesn't make space for him in their top six. If he does happen to usurp someone then by all means, sell the house for the kid. I just think it's unlikely.

I'd still hold on Granlund.
    12 team keeper
    Points only: G-1, A-1, W-2, SO-3; weekly rosters: 7F, 5D, 2G; keep 20 of 25

F: Tavares, McDavid, RNH, Stepan, Okposo, Brassard, Stone, Scheifele, Zibanejad, Ehlers, Larkin, Lindholm, Namestnikov
    D: OEL, Hamilton, Mo. Rielly, Parayko, Gostisbehere, Trouba, Theodore
    G: Price, Dubnyk, Lehner, Hellebuyck, Greiss

2014-15 Champ