Thread: Nilsson or Ortio

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Default Nilsson or Ortio

Hey guys,

Which would you keep in a pts only keeper league? I'm looking for one to be both my backup to Bishop this year and a guy I can move for the biggest return at the end of the year.

Pts only, 28 team keep 9, start 9 fwd, 4d, 1g

Cheers!
    28 team, pts only, Keep 9 (or 10 if you miss playoffs)

Start 9 fwd, 4D, 1G

F: [B] Kuznetsov, Konecny, Hall, Crosby, Kreider, Couturier, Lindholm, Bergeron, Schmaltz
    D: [B] Hedman, *Girard, Jones, Petry, Doughty
    G: [B] Vasilevskiy

Farm
    Heponiemi, Comtois, Kayumov, Krebs, Abramov, Khovanov, Shalagin, Dineen,

Dobber Sports Genius

Default Re: Nilsson or Ortio

I'd take Nillson

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Well, I have a slightly different question. I have Hiller and snagged Nilsson on the ww yesterday. Should I try to use Nilsson as a trade bait to get Ortio?

Dobber Sports Genius

Quote Originally Posted by Rato View Post
    Well, I have a slightly different question. I have Hiller and snagged Nilsson on the ww yesterday. Should I try to use Nilsson as a trade bait to get Ortio?
    I think if you could do a straight swap for Ortio I'd try it. Then you'd be getting all of the Calgary games

Dobber Sports Deity

I think it's still early to determine who will be the better trade bait at the end of the year but if I were keeping one for myself, I'd want to keep Ortio. Long term I like him more. Short term, I think Nilsson is the better option.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Veteran

This is a tough one. I might go with Ortio because I think Talbot is a better goalie than Hiller.
    Points only keeper league
    7 teams
    28 keepers
    Weekly line up: 12 F / 6 D / 2 G
    Goalie stats: W=2 / SO=2

Dobber Sports Apprentice

They're really in the same situation, except I think Ortio has a better shot at taking over than Nilsson; the biggest reason being that Talbot has the best contract out of the four goalies on these teams.

This year and next, I would take my chances on Ortio. In 2017-18, Gillies will be the Hellebuyck of 2016-17.
    12 team keeper
    Points only: G-1, A-1, W-2, SO-3; weekly rosters: 7F, 5D, 2G; keep 20 of 25

F: Tavares, McDavid, RNH, Stepan, Okposo, Brassard, Stone, Scheifele, Zibanejad, Ehlers, Larkin, Lindholm, Namestnikov
    D: OEL, Hamilton, Mo. Rielly, Parayko, Gostisbehere, Trouba, Theodore
    G: Price, Dubnyk, Lehner, Hellebuyck, Greiss

2014-15 Champ

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Quote Originally Posted by Nikerato View Post
    They're really in the same situation, except I think Ortio has a better shot at taking over than Nilsson; the biggest reason being that Talbot has the best contract out of the four goalies on these teams.
    This year and next, I would take my chances on Ortio. In 2017-18, Gillies will be the Hellebuyck of 2016-17.

Great post.
    It's a tough call... because if either Ortio or Nilsson truly emerges as #1... will a fantasy GM really trade them?
    Let's say they seriously will.

What's more valuable?
    Option 1: #1 Goalie of EDM with no threat in minors.
    Option 2: #1 Goalie of CGY with J.Gillies as serious threat in minors.

The odds of Nilsson emerging as EDM #1 are low (30% perhaps), but the reward is high.
    The odds of Ortio emerging as CGY #1 are solid (55% I'd guess), but the reward is moderate & temporary.

Right now, the sexy pick is Ortio... because CGY clearly has two FAILS in goaltenders to this point in the season.
    He's in a position a bit like Steve Mason was in PHI... follow in the Bryzaster's shoes and one is bound to be viewed as a (relative) success.

I'd go with Ortio - and if you are really about trade value, look to offer him to somebody holding Hiller or Ramo or Gio or Hamilton or Gaudreau or Monahan.
    And don't wait on the trade offer... if Ortio rattles off 3 consecutive good starts, that's the time to offer.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by Pengwin7 View Post
    I'd go with Ortio - and if you are really about trade value, look to offer him to somebody holding Hiller or Ramo or Gio or Hamilton or Gaudreau or Monahan.
    And don't wait on the trade offer... if Ortio rattles off 3 consecutive good starts, that's the time to offer.
    Sadly I guess I'm that owner right now. I'd keep Nilsson but if he never gets the starting job and Hiiler loses his to Ortio I'm doomed in a league where ther's no no goalie wire whatsoever.
    Thank you, great post.

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

Ortio, there is a reason that the Flames waived Ramo... and that reason is likely Ortio.

Dobber Sports Initiate

I would go with Ortio in your situation. I like the idea of locking up a teams net when the goalie waiver pool is pretty much non-existent. It might be the "safer pick" but sometimes you need to do that and for me this is one of those situations.

12 H2H Dynasty:
    S: G, A, +/-, PIM, PPP, SHP, SOG, Hits
    G: W, GAA, SV%, SHO
    LW: Robertson, Debrincat, Gaudreau
    C: Matthews, Point, Kuznetsov
    RW: Kyrou, Toffoli, Rakell
    D: Chychurn, Krug, Gavrikov, Giordano, Liljegren
    W/FWD/Skt: JT Miller, Nelson, Farabee
    G: Bobrovsky, Swayman
    Bench: Horvat, Dach, Greenway, R. Smith, Stutzle, Kunin, Skjei, E. Johnson
    Farm: Johnston, Raty, Maccelli, Lysell, Quinn, Sandin, Brannstrom, Dostal, Forsberg, Gustavsson, Thompson

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Thanks for the great reply's guys. I appreciate the feedback. I've been trying to move for Ortio and Gillies - he has them both. So far, he's holding tight to Gillies. I think I'm going to go with Ortio and a 4th rd pick for Nilsson and see if I can't turn him into a better asset down the road. Thanks again!

Edit - I moved Nilsson for Ortio and a 3rd. Took some negotiating but I made him see the light! Thanks again
    28 team, pts only, Keep 9 (or 10 if you miss playoffs)

Start 9 fwd, 4D, 1G

F: [B] Kuznetsov, Konecny, Hall, Crosby, Kreider, Couturier, Lindholm, Bergeron, Schmaltz
    D: [B] Hedman, *Girard, Jones, Petry, Doughty
    G: [B] Vasilevskiy

Farm
    Heponiemi, Comtois, Kayumov, Krebs, Abramov, Khovanov, Shalagin, Dineen,