Page 5 of 30 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 15 ... LastLast

Thread: Don't sleep on Mark Stone. He will score 70 points at the minimum.

Banned

Default Re: Don't sleep on Mark Stone. He will score 70 points at the minimum.

Quote Originally Posted by RizzeeDizzee View Post
    If I professed to have an "eye for the game" I'd be a scout, not a fantasy hockey columnist. Where's your column btw?

But I digress - winning in fantasy hockey means going by the numbers first and foremost. Is there room for judgment and personal preference? Of course, but not when the numbers paint such a diametrically opposing picture.

These forums are here for everyone to comment, but when I, as someone who spends hours each weeks writing and research players for two weekly columns, feel like someone is letting personal preference lead people down a path that cannot be reconciled with data I'll take it upon myself to speak up about it.

- - - Updated - - -

Nyqvist is being covered in next week's cage match FWIW - so stay tuned for the sobering reality about him. Johnson already scored 70 points last I checked, and didn't have 60+ as a rookie.

I have plenty of data. Search hockeydb Mark Stone and you'll see all the days you need. I don't need to spend hours doing research to write a column that I don't get any money for.

Your last point makes no sense. So scoring MORE points as a rookie is an indicator that the player will score less the following year. So because Johnson didn't score 60, that's better than stone scoring 64. You are cherry picking stats to back your opinion.

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by Big Ev View Post
    I have plenty of data. Search hockeydb Mark Stone and you'll see all the days you need. I don't need to spend hours doing research to write a column that I don't get any money for.
    I see - so I'm supposed to judge Stone by his junior and AHL success? How reliable has that been in predicting NHL success? I know a lot of former "can't miss" talents with stellar pre-NHL credentials who, when the dust settled, missed.
    DobberHockey Senior Writer (columnist since 2012)
    Click here to read my weekly "Roos Lets Loose" columns, going live every Wednesday morning and consisting of a rotating schedule of a "forum buzz" column, a fantasy hockey mailbag, a tournament/poll, and an edition of Goldipucks and the Three Skaters: https://dobberhockey.com/category/ho...key-rick-roos/

Dobber Sports Stud

If I professed to have an "eye for the game" I'd be a scout, not a fantasy hockey columnist. Where's your column btw?

But I digress - winning in fantasy hockey means going by the numbers first and foremost. Is there room for judgment and personal preference? Of course, but not when the numbers paint such a diametrically opposing picture.

These forums are here for everyone to comment, but when I, as someone who spends hours each weeks writing and research players for two weekly columns, feel like someone is letting personal preference lead people down a path that cannot be reconciled with data I'll take it upon myself to speak up about it.

Nyqvist is being covered in next week's cage match FWIW - so stay tuned for the sobering reality about him. Johnson already scored 70 points last I checked, and didn't have 60+ as a rookie.
    As a columnist for this site, show a tad bit of maturity. Asking him "where is your column BTW?" is so childish and immature its not even funny. We get it, you disagree with Ev.

WHL - World Hockey League (24 Team - Daily H2H)

Maine Moose 2021-2022

2019 WHL GM of the Year #Supersoft

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by GinFizz View Post
    As a columnist for this site, show a tad bit of maturity. Asking him "where is your column BTW?" is so childish and immature its not even funny. We get it, you disagree with Ev.
    He insults me by questioning whether I have the requisite judgment to make an assessment and because I haven't sat there glued to Sens games like preteens to a One Direction video, yet when I defend myself it's immature and childish. I see - good to know.
    DobberHockey Senior Writer (columnist since 2012)
    Click here to read my weekly "Roos Lets Loose" columns, going live every Wednesday morning and consisting of a rotating schedule of a "forum buzz" column, a fantasy hockey mailbag, a tournament/poll, and an edition of Goldipucks and the Three Skaters: https://dobberhockey.com/category/ho...key-rick-roos/

Dobber Sports Stud

yeah.. its called being a professional and by professional i mean that you are representing Dobber Hockey... take the higher road. In the end, your getting into a pissing contest with a forum member.

WHL - World Hockey League (24 Team - Daily H2H)

Maine Moose 2021-2022

2019 WHL GM of the Year #Supersoft

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by GinFizz View Post
    yeah.. its called being a professional and by professional i mean that you are representing Dobber Hockey... take the higher road. In the end, your getting into a pissing contest with a forum member.
    I disagree. A forum is a forum. In the comments section of his articles he's representing DobberHockey. On the forums, he's just another forum member.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Mark Stone. Quite the Polarizing Fantasy Asset.

will he or won't he. I guess it's up to him to prove either side right/wrong.

Thanks for the insight Ev. Thanks for the constructive criticism RD.

Us Stone owners appreciate the effort you both are bringing to this thread.

The Great One

Unless someone is willing to bet on something predictions are for gypsies.

I'll take the Under on Stone for 70 this year.....Anyone wanna pipe up?

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

I'd take an over on 59.5, but definitely not 70.
    16 Team Keeper League. Head-to-Head. Daily moves. Keep 10. Roster 20. Keepers in Bold
    Positions: 2C, 2LW, 2RW, 2F, 5D, 1Skt, 2G, 4 Bench
    Skaters: G, A, PPP, PIM, SOG, HITS, BLKS, FOW Goalies: W, GAA, SV%

C: MacKinnon, Couturier, Eriksson Ek, McCann (LW), Cizikas, Carrick
    LW: Kaprizov, J.T. Miller (C), J. Robertson, Colton (C)
    RW: Perron (LW), T. Moore
    D: Carlson, Ekblad, Letang, Dumba, Lindell, Siegenthaler
    G: Hellebuyck, Vejmelka

Prospects: Turcotte, Raty, Holtz, N. Robertson, M. Bourque, Lundkvist, Soderstrom, Sandin, Addison

He insults me by questioning whether I have the requisite judgment to make an assessment and because I haven't sat there glued to Sens games like preteens to a One Direction video, yet when I defend myself it's immature and childish. I see - good to know.
    it did come across as pretty childish.

This little dispute started when Rizz said Ev was the "prototypical example of fandom blinding reality". So I'd say they both got in their licks and should kiss and make up.
    16 Team Keeper League. Head-to-Head. Daily moves. Keep 10. Roster 20. Keepers in Bold
    Positions: 2C, 2LW, 2RW, 2F, 5D, 1Skt, 2G, 4 Bench
    Skaters: G, A, PPP, PIM, SOG, HITS, BLKS, FOW Goalies: W, GAA, SV%

C: MacKinnon, Couturier, Eriksson Ek, McCann (LW), Cizikas, Carrick
    LW: Kaprizov, J.T. Miller (C), J. Robertson, Colton (C)
    RW: Perron (LW), T. Moore
    D: Carlson, Ekblad, Letang, Dumba, Lindell, Siegenthaler
    G: Hellebuyck, Vejmelka

Prospects: Turcotte, Raty, Holtz, N. Robertson, M. Bourque, Lundkvist, Soderstrom, Sandin, Addison

Dobber Sports Stud

I'm taking o59.5. Any betters on this forum?? Or just writers??

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by RememberRobitaille View Post
    This little dispute started when Rizz said Ev was the "prototypical example of fandom blinding reality". So I'd say they both got in their licks and should kiss and make up.
    And sing together because the NHL is back in full swing!
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

​​

Stone is a FA in my one-year league along with the likes of Huberdeau, Galchenyuk and Scheifele. Eight-team, 9-forwards league and he's been available since our draft this past Monday.

Not professing that anyone in my league is a fortune-teller or a fantasy hockey god, but to me, Stone sitting as a FA in our league indicates that no one is sold on him surpassing or even reproducing his totals from last season. Being optimistic about a player is great, but considering the long line of guys who have regressed after their rookie season, I don't see anything convincing as to why Stone will increase his production from last year.

Did Turris suddenly become a top-five centreman in the league without anyone else knowing? Is Hoffman also slated to dramatically break out offensively? Only 16 players from last season scored 71+ points. Among those who hit 71-80 points were Johansen, Stamkos, Johnson, Foligno, Tarasenko, Giroux, H. Sedin, Hudler, D. Sedin, Seguin and Backstrom. I could see Foligno and Hudler missing from this group this season, but I don't see Stone joining it. At all.

I think these "heated" debates are actually healthy for the forums. Look how many posts/opinions/members have read this thread just in the last day. If everyone agreed or disagreed but didn't fight to show why their opinion is their opinion, these boards would be pretty dull. Let the debates continue.

When insults or personal hacks begin to set it, that's when it's too far but what BigEv and Rizzie have done is nothing. I'm all for defending one's opinion, and via forum you need to state things how they are with confidence or your post will be lost in the mix.

Good on you two, whether you're right or wrong. This had been an entertaining read.
    Last edited by stotan; October 9, 2015 at 3:13 PM. Reason: typo
    FANTASY LEAGUE: "Hockey Night on Hoth" (est. 2012)
    TEAM NAME: "The Barrelriders"

FORMAT: H2H Keeper League (Keep 4 - no more than two per position)
    TEAM FORMAT: 12 Teams, 17 Players per Team (3C, 4W, 3D, 2G, 5Util)
    STAT CATS: G, A, P, PPP, FW, Shots, Hits, Blocks | Wins, SVS, GAA, SV%

MY TEAM:

C | N. Mackinnon,
    W | J. Benn, J. Pavelski
    D |
    G | A. Vasilevskiy