Page 18 of 30 FirstFirst ... 8 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 28 ... LastLast

Thread: Don't sleep on Mark Stone. He will score 70 points at the minimum.

Dobber Sports Ninja

Default Re: Don't sleep on Mark Stone. He will score 70 points at the minimum.

Quote Originally Posted by Rylant View Post
    I doubt anybody is surprised. It was a ridiculous statement in the first place. Followed by 17 pages of ridiculous points to support the original ridiculous statement. Now, trying to set up a ridiculous condition to create a ridiculous loophole out of your original ridiculous statement. I guess coming forward like a man with "hey, I took a shot at a bold statement and in the end, I might be wrong" was never on the table. I would have had at least a little respect for that type of stance.

Rylant
    Ridiculous...lol!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by mojavedesert View Post
    Oh, you mean Marcel Hossa?
    No, aiming for the stars, mojave hossa. Aka MoHo

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by JohnScott AllStarMVP View Post
    Lots of players started with two good seasons and faded, lots had two good seasons and maintained it.

Your random comparable makes little sense here
    With all due respect, read the thread and you'll see why this comparison is apropos from where I sit (Ev can rightfully disagree) and has already been made and explained. Long story short, like Stone, Boyes is one of the VERY RARE examples of a player who, like Stone, scored 60+ points as a 23+ year old rookie. The others, like Boyes, faded quickly, which I pointed out to suggest that past history is not on the side of those who believe Stone will be a productive player in the long term. Remember - I have no rooting interest here, other than to stand behind data, which I always do. In most cases the data turns out to be correct, but in others (OEL, Pavelski) it can be wrong. We'll know in a couple of years with Stone.
    DobberHockey Senior Writer (columnist since 2012)
    Click here to read my weekly "Roos Lets Loose" columns, going live every Wednesday morning and consisting of a rotating schedule of a "forum buzz" column, a fantasy hockey mailbag, a tournament/poll, and an edition of Goldipucks and the Three Skaters: https://dobberhockey.com/category/ho...key-rick-roos/

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by RizzeeDizzee View Post
    With all due respect, read the thread and you'll see why this comparison is apropos from where I sit (Ev can rightfully disagree) and has already been made and explained. Long story short, like Stone, Boyes is one of the VERY RARE examples of a player who, like Stone, scored 60+ points as a 23+ year old rookie. The others, like Boyes, faded quickly, which I pointed out to suggest that past history is not on the side of those who believe Stone will be a productive player in the long term. Remember - I have no rooting interest here, other than to stand behind data, which I always do. In most cases the data turns out to be correct, but in others (OEL, Pavelski) it can be wrong. We'll know in a couple of years with Stone.
    And this is exactly why I tried telling Ev that Stone is NOT a proven commodity. With only one full NHL season under his belt, it's too early in his career to call him proven.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by RizzeeDizzee View Post
    the data will be wrong this time. Big ev is right, stone is the real deal. You're letting pride and a data formula get in the way of reality on this one

The Great One

You're letting pride and a data formula get in the way of reality on this one
    What pride exactly? He's siding on the side of data which happens to be right more often. I'm taking his word for that. So again where's the pride?

Even though I don't agree with his approach how can you say he's letting pride get in the way? I don't get it.

Quote Originally Posted by Rylant View Post
    I doubt anybody is surprised. It was a ridiculous statement in the first place. Followed by 17 pages of ridiculous points to support the original ridiculous statement. Now, trying to set up a ridiculous condition to create a ridiculous loophole out of your original ridiculous statement. I guess coming forward like a man with "hey, I took a shot at a bold statement and in the end, I might be wrong" was never on the table. I would have had at least a little respect for that type of stance.

Rylant
    +1

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Guru View Post
    What pride exactly? He's siding on the side of data which happens to be right more often. I'm taking his word for that. So again where's the pride?

Even though I don't agree with his approach how can you say he's letting pride get in the way? I don't get it.

There must be some pride if someone takes that much time and energy to adamantly argue their point being right. Nothing wrong with that although the multiple threads of speculators arguing over trivial stuff does get ridiculous like the statement you just repped alluded to

The Great One

He's arguing the data, numbers and history. Not his pride.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Guru View Post
    He's arguing the data, numbers and history. Not his pride.
    There is nothing wrong with taking pride in the data you provide (that rhymes like a poem)

Dobber Sports Pro

There is nothing wrong with taking pride in the data you provide (that rhymes like a poem)
    This is true but irrelevant to the discussion you guys are having. Arguing in defense of your pride is very different than taking pride in your argument because it's accurately crafted with facts, numbers, and history.

We need a new section in this forum called "Semantics". Once that is made, a mod can move this thread there.

Dobber Sports Master

This thread gets me thinking that Ev should do a predictions thread every year. Its great entertainment value. Ev, if you would kindly post up 20 predictions at the beginning of next year, we could all have fun arguing the points. Seems like a win-win-win to me.

Imagine the click-bait created by a thread title like "Big Ev's "Mark It Down" Predictions for the year.

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by Atomic Wedgy View Post
    This thread gets me thinking that Ev should do a predictions thread every year. Its great entertainment value. Ev, if you would kindly post up 20 predictions at the beginning of next year, we could all have fun arguing the points. Seems like a win-win-win to me.

Imagine the click-bait created by a thread title like "Big Ev's "Mark It Down" Predictions for the year.
    It will only be entertaining if the predictions are for Sens players

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by blayze View Post
    It will only be entertaining if the predictions are for Sens players
    And only if the justifications are Biv Ev's style too.

Dobber Sports Master

Ev only has one style. Big Ev style.

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by Atomic Wedgy View Post
    Ev only has one style. Big Ev style.
    Oh man, at least he's got a style. I really need to get a style.