Thread: Demaryius for John Brown + Foster?

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Default Demaryius for John Brown + Foster?

12-team .5ppr DT for John Brown + Foster?

My starting Wrs are DT, Julio & Landry (flex), Bench is Stevie J and Charles Johnson. Starting RBs are Miller & Latavius, with Joique, Tre, D.Johnson, and DMC on the bench.

Full info:
    I'm worried about my RB depth since all those guys are losing time to others ahead of them. Plus Latavius may be limited by game situation if OAK falls behind a lot.
    The Foster owner has CJ, Abdullah, Sankey, and his WRs are Edelman, J.Brown, Maclin, Decker, LaFell (no idea why).

I'm not trying to sell low on DT (Denver's schedule really opens up after this week), but it's really the only position of strength I could deal from to try and improve my RBs. Definitely a big risk dealing for Foster, but I think the only time to get him is before he plays. Sucks that I'm 0-1 plus going against this guy as a div. rival in Week 2. If I go 0-2 could I even wait til, say, Week 5, to get Foster into my lineup?

Only other deal I've thought of trying to improve my RBs is DT for Cooks+Ivory, but the guy's a Jets fan and I'm not sure he'd go for it.
    12-team H2H Yahoo League
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1UTIL, 2G
    G, A, +/-, PPP, SHP, GWG, SOG, HIT
    W, GAA, Sv%, SO

C: Benn (LW), Marchessault (LW), Galchenyuk (RW)
    LW: Ovechkin, Marchand, Pacorietty
    RW: Rust (LW), Buchnevich, Fiala (LW), Zuccarello
    D: Josi, Theodore, Sergachev, Dahlin
    G: Mrazek, Khudobin, Sorokin
    IR: Grzylcek

Dobber Sports Expert

Default Re: Demaryius for John Brown + Foster?

I would do this deal because I think Manning is in for a significant regression. When you still have Julio, to me this makes DT very expendable to upgrade. Foster would be a nice addition to trot out with Miller as your 1-2 punch. But the longer you wait on this deal, the harder it will be to get Foster as his time table gets closer to a return. I would take my chances and wait till this week is over to make the move.

Dobber Sports Padawan

Quote Originally Posted by NJDev803 View Post
    12-team .5ppr DT for John Brown + Foster?

My starting Wrs are DT, Julio & Landry (flex), Bench is Stevie J and Charles Johnson. Starting RBs are Miller & Latavius, with Joique, Tre, D.Johnson, and DMC on the bench.

Full info:

I'm worried about my RB depth since all those guys are losing time to others ahead of them. Plus Latavius may be limited by game situation if OAK falls behind a lot.
    The Foster owner has CJ, Abdullah, Sankey, and his WRs are Edelman, J.Brown, Maclin, Decker, LaFell (no idea why).

I'm not trying to sell low on DT (Denver's schedule really opens up after this week), but it's really the only position of strength I could deal from to try and improve my RBs. Definitely a big risk dealing for Foster, but I think the only time to get him is before he plays. Sucks that I'm 0-1 plus going against this guy as a div. rival in Week 2. If I go 0-2 could I even wait til, say, Week 5, to get Foster into my lineup?

Only other deal I've thought of trying to improve my RBs is DT for Cooks+Ivory, but the guy's a Jets fan and I'm not sure he'd go for it.

If you believe the Broncos schedule opens up and better receiving days are ahead for DT, wouldn't trading him now be selling low? They had a rough Sunday against a top notch D. If you think based on one game that Peyton is destined for a 3K 20TD season, then trade DT. personally, I'd be holding

Dobber Sports Veteran

I'd probably hold tight for now.

I don't hate the deal. Foster is a top tier RB when healthy and I'm expecting a nice year out of Brown. That being said, you could be 4 more weeks without Foster.

Try replacing Brown with Edelman. He's a PPR monster.

Dobber Sports Expert

Quote Originally Posted by TheWhale View Post
    If you believe the Broncos schedule opens up and better receiving days are ahead for DT, wouldn't trading him now be selling low? They had a rough Sunday against a top notch D. If you think based on one game that Peyton is destined for a 3K 20TD season, then trade DT. personally, I'd be holding
    The schedule does open up and they get a bunch of cake matchups, but will focus on the run game. Denver's philosophy this season is on possession control, not all out aerial assualts. Their focus is on Anderson/Hillman and the run game to grind out the clock and use their high class D to shut down their opponents, much like the 2014 Cowboys.

Dobber Sports Padawan

Quote Originally Posted by Goldendelicious View Post
    The schedule does open up and they get a bunch of cake matchups, but will focus on the run game. Denver's philosophy this season is on possession control, not all out aerial assualts. Their focus is on Anderson/Hillman and the run game to grind out the clock and use their high class D to shut down their opponents, much like the 2014 Cowboys.
    I agree that there will be more focus on the run. Their success depends on it. But even if they do follow the path of Dallas last year (who were run heavy) they will still pass more than they throw. According to pro football reference, the Cowboys ran 508x and threw 558x. A 52%:48% split. There are yards and scores to be had in every scheme.

There are a lot of short throws that are essentially run plays and Denver likes to use screens and short picks. DT should still get his targets and is great with the ball after the catch.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

First of all, thank you for the responses!

I would do this deal because I think Manning is in for a significant regression. When you still have Julio, to me this makes DT very expendable to upgrade. Foster would be a nice addition to trot out with Miller as your 1-2 punch. But the longer you wait on this deal, the harder it will be to get Foster as his time table gets closer to a return. I would take my chances and wait till this week is over to make the move.
    Agreed about at least waiting this week out. And part of my reasoning certainly has to do with the risk of Peyton declining and also Kubiak's traditional run-heavy tendency. Though of course if the run is successful, that opens up the passing game and DT is the best redzone target. Also it's a 2-keeper league, but DT will be too expensive for me to keep.

I don't think DT will be bad by any stretch this year, the guy was great with Tebow as his QB. Yes I guess technically I'd be 'selling low' considering his 10-point outing for me last week, but that's not factoring into why I'm looking to move him. I know he's better than that. But as his schedule opens up and he posts larger numbers, we're nearing Foster's return in which he might be unattainable. The timing adds another level of risk to the deal. And as mentioned above, it's a keep-2 league, but I won't be keeping DT for the $60 price he'll cost; Foster on the other hand would be a $26 keeper (and fwiw Brown will cost $19).

Quote Originally Posted by FinnishFlash View Post
    I'd probably hold tight for now.

I don't hate the deal. Foster is a top tier RB when healthy and I'm expecting a nice year out of Brown. That being said, you could be 4 more weeks without Foster.

Try replacing Brown with Edelman. He's a PPR monster.
    Definitely a risk to do it now since we don't know how much longer Foster's out for, but I think once we know for sure the owner won't want to part with him as he could be a very high-value keeper next season. Also I considered Edelman over Brown, but I'm giving the edge to Brown's playoff weeks (very early to predict, but at first glance looks much more favorable than Edelman vs Revis week 16).

I agree that there will be more focus on the run. Their success depends on it. But even if they do follow the path of Dallas last year (who were run heavy) they will still pass more than they throw. According to pro football reference, the Cowboys ran 508x and threw 558x. A 52%:48% split. There are yards and scores to be had in every scheme.

There are a lot of short throws that are essentially run plays and Denver likes to use screens and short picks. DT should still get his targets and is great with the ball after the catch.
    The run-heavy offense is the word on the street, and part of my hesitation in parting with DT. He'll definitely put up numbers we're more accustomed to, and if the run is very successful then the pass is opened up even more. But Denver likely won't be playing catchup and airing it out late in games, so it'll be tough to predict DT's weekly role. He's great after the catch and their biggest redzone target so I don't expect the elite-WR production to dwindle.

If anyone thinks I'm aiming too low for Brown and Foster, I'd love to hear suggestions for guys that might be a more appropriate return in value. Again, probably should've mentioned in the initial post the keeper aspect of my league. DT will be way too expensive to keep, but Foster could be kept for $26/200 draft budget and Brown for $19.
    12-team H2H Yahoo League
    W, GAA, Sv%, SO

Dobber Sports Padawan

if you're looking for someone relatively inexpensive to keep and help you out a few weeks down the road, why not look at Gurley? Or any other cheap, young back? Because unless Landry is super expensive, it would take a monster year from Brown for me to consider keeping him instead.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

if you're looking for someone relatively inexpensive to keep and help you out a few weeks down the road, why not look at Gurley? Or any other cheap, young back? Because unless Landry is super expensive, it would take a monster year from Brown for me to consider keeping him instead.
    Landry would cost $26 for me to keep, which is actually the same price as Gurley. My keepers this past season were Latavius for 10 and Kelce for 12 (we add 10 bucks each season).

I considered targeting Gurley but I'm not sure the guy would go for it at a reasonable price (he always tries to rip people off in trades). His RBs are DeMarco, Coleman, Spiller, D.Lewis, and WRs are Cobb, Cooper, Garcon, Moncrief, and Jordy (burning a bench spot because he can't put him on IR if he wants to keep him for like $15).

I suppose it wouldn't hurt to send out a message asking what he'd take to consider moving Gurley or Coleman, but I'm sure I won't like his answer.
    12-team H2H Yahoo League
    W, GAA, Sv%, SO

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

Is this a keeper league? If so I would pull the trigger and get Brown and Foster.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by PenguinHunter View Post
    Is this a keeper league? If so I would pull the trigger and get Brown and Foster.
    Yes, we have the option to keep up to 2 players for $10 more than their acquisition value. DT cost over $60 for me next year, Foster would cost $26 and Brown would cost $19. I'm not too focused on securing keepers for next year as I am for maximizing my roster to stand a shot at winning this year. But getting a good value keeper certainly would be a bonus to any deal.
    12-team H2H Yahoo League
    W, GAA, Sv%, SO

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

I wouldn't do this. One, it is usually a bad idea to trade after the first week. Second, I think you could at least get a much better deal. Why sell low for an injured running back who may still be weeks away? Third, even if Foster comes back healthy (and, don't forget, that is a big if), I still don't like Foster + Brown more than Thomas + Murray. And even if you did, do you really like it enough to punt the next few weeks?