Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: [Mailbag] Ask Laidlaw Anything

Dobber Sports Padawan

Default Re: [Mailbag] Ask Laidlaw Anything

Morgan Rielly or Justin Schultz in league in my sig? Drafted Schultz mainly due to the potential of PP1, but Morgan is an FA.

Also for the same league, Dano, Nichushkin, Stewart, or Belesky? Again, drafted Dano due to potential of being 1LW, rest are FAs

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by ztking View Post
    Kessel+Shattenkirk for my Voracek+Kucherov

14 Team
    Start 4C/LW/RW, 6D
    Almost Identical Stats to my Sig League
    14 Keepers
    Pre-Draft

I currently have Voracek, Kucherov, Okposo, Ryan, Yak at RW.
    I currently have Hedman, Letang, Rielly at D

I got the best RW and strengthened up big time at the hard to fill D position (14 team, start 6 is tough)

Kessel, Okposo, Ryan, Yak at RW
    Hedman, Letang, Shattenkirk, Rielly at D

Thoughts? Would you do it?
    Kessel is the best player in the deal so you consolidate your talent quite well with this move. I do worry that Shattenkirk isn't the perfect candidate to take advantage of your hit/block bonuses but he might score enough that it's irrelevant. Good deal.
    Follow me on Twitter@SteveLaidlaw

https://image.ibb.co/k3o8Sa/dobber_banner_sig.jpg

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by snipshow101 View Post
    Morgan Rielly or Justin Schultz in league in my sig? Drafted Schultz mainly due to the potential of PP1, but Morgan is an FA.

Also for the same league, Dano, Nichushkin, Stewart, or Belesky? Again, drafted Dano due to potential of being 1LW, rest are FAs
    I prefer Rielly over Schultz but perhaps the move here is to give Schultz a good couple of months to see if that Edmonton power play clicks. I'm not optimistic he'll be the benefactor if/when it does but you never know. It's H2H so having a somewhat lesser 4th D for a couple of months won't kill you even if it means you miss out on Rielly cracking the 30-point mark because someone else got to him first.

I think Nichushkin is the guy with the best potential to go off here but again, it's H2H so you can be patient and wait things out to see who emerges.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Categories are in my sig
    I've been debating about trading Malkin for a while now. Haven't had him in my last two playoffs due to injury. Is now the time to deal him that he has the opportunity to play with Kessel? Or do I hold on to him because he might get back to 100 points. I was thinking if I do trade him I target a LW as I've lost some duo eligibility on some players (Staal and Kucherov for example)

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by 9601 View Post
    Categories are in my sig
    I've been debating about trading Malkin for a while now. Haven't had him in my last two playoffs due to injury. Is now the time to deal him that he has the opportunity to play with Kessel? Or do I hold on to him because he might get back to 100 points. I was thinking if I do trade him I target a LW as I've lost some duo eligibility on some players (Staal and Kucherov for example)
    I don't believe in forcing a trade just for the sake of it. Explore what's out there for Malkin but I think you might need to wait until he stays healthy and productive for the first month in order to extract the most value.

Dobber Sports Stud

Hi Steve, I've been having a lot of discussions about the Dallas Stars for this upcoming season, especially about the projections for Jason Spezza. Some people were saying he was "unlucky" last year, shooting 8.3% when his career average was 13.4%. He also had a very low IPP last season, his lowest in 5 years.

Most people are expecting a bounce back this season and are projecting him to get north of 70 points (he got 17G - 45A = 62 PTS last year). Me, I don't buy it, I think at best, he will reach the same totals as last year. First, his role won't really change (2C with PP1 ice time). He's also 32 now and seems to be trending downward. So what do you think?
    Yahoo! 1 year league, 9 teams, Points only [G (3pts), A (2pts), PPP (1pt), Hits (0.1pt) *** W (4pts), Goals Against (-2pts), SV (0.2pt), SO (3pms)
    C: McDavid, Couturier, Kopitar, D.Strome
    LW: Guentzel, Connor, Miller, Kaprizov
    RW: Stamkos, Stone, Teravainen, Tatar
    D: Dahlin, Theodore, Andersson, Dumba
    G: Shersterkin, Talbot

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Dikoi View Post
    Hi Steve, I've been having a lot of discussions about the Dallas Stars for this upcoming season, especially about the projections for Jason Spezza. Some people were saying he was "unlucky" last year, shooting 8.3% when his career average was 13.4%. He also had a very low IPP last season, his lowest in 5 years.

Most people are expecting a bounce back this season and are projecting him to get north of 70 points (he got 17G - 45A = 62 PTS last year). Me, I don't buy it, I think at best, he will reach the same totals as last year. First, his role won't really change (2C with PP1 ice time). He's also 32 now and seems to be trending downward. So what do you think?
    I'm inclined to agree that he was a bit unfortunate at even strength both shooting a low percentage and failing to get in on the average piece of the pie when goals were scored with him out there. His per-60 scoring at evens fell to below 2.00 for the first time in five seasons (I'm not counting 2013 where he only played five games) and that's likely the result of this dip in IPP. His primary assists also fell to half their usual rate, which if it keeps up suggests there is a serious decline here so that's worth monitoring.

The big thing for me is that in watching the Stars last season Spezza didn't look noticeably diminished or in-decline. He has the sort of skills/vision that tend to age very well. With improved linemates and maybe an improved defense the Stars should offer a better supporting cast to prop Spezza up even if he is on the way down.

The flip side is that Spezza is an injury concern. Can he play another full 82 games? Is 70 more reasonable? What about 75? Have to consider the injuries and not just the ones that cost games but the ones that linger and cost effectiveness.

He's a part of that lethal Stars power play so he doesn't have to produce much at even strength to be fantasy relevant. I have him for mid-60s production because the injury concerns are real. His luck could improve as far as IPP goes but still wind up with the same results as last season if he skates 10 fewer games.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Hi Steve,
    In a keeper league, points only, no position who do you prefer this year and for the next 3 years: Stepan, Nyquist, Palat and Mark Stone.

Thanks

Dobber Sports Rookie

Hello Steve,

What is a reasonable price to pay for MacDavid in a Dynasty league with G, A, +/-, PPP, PIM, FW, HITS and Blocks.

Guy is asking for Tavares plus Subban and offering MacDavid and Shattenkirk

Thanks

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Still learning View Post
    Hi Steve,
    In a keeper league, points only, no position who do you prefer this year and for the next 3 years: Stepan, Nyquist, Palat and Mark Stone.

Thanks
    Bunch of 55-65 point guys there but Stepan stands out to me as having another gear.

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by lanky_franky View Post
    Hello Steve,

What is a reasonable price to pay for MacDavid in a Dynasty league with G, A, +/-, PPP, PIM, FW, HITS and Blocks.

Guy is asking for Tavares plus Subban and offering MacDavid and Shattenkirk

Thanks
    I'd say that's a fairly reasonable price to pay. Personally, I wouldn't go this far. I think McDavid is the best prospect since Crosby but Tavares was once the best prospect since Crosby and we probably haven't seen the best from him yet. You've also got Subban headed out and he absolutely crushes with these categories. So you're giving up a top-five forward and a top-two defenseman for maybe the #1 forward in a year or two plus the #10-or-so defenseman. Shattenkirk is a beauty but he doesn't touch the peripherals the way Subban does.

I think you've got to be very confident that McDavid gets to 100 points by next season and that Tavares is capped out at 90 to make this worth your while. I wouldn't pay this much but conversely if I were selling McDavid I'd need a guy like Tavares coming back, no question.

Dobber Sports Veteran

For the league in my sig. if I can get Klingberg for Galchenyuk, should I do it?
    18 Team Full Keeper. Total points.

Start 10 F, 3 D, 1 UTIL, 1 G

3 Points: SHO, 2 Points: G, PPA, SHG, SHA, W, 1 Point: A, PPG, GWG, .25 Points: BLK, .1 Points: FOW, SOG, SV, .15 Points: HIT, -.05 Points: FOL, -.15 Points: GA

Forwards: Backstrom, Barre-Boulet, Beauvillier, Caufield, Dickinson, Donato, Donskoi, Gourde, Greenway, Horvat, Kase, Keller, Kuznetsov, MacKinnon, Marchessault, J. T. Miller, Sikura, Tarasenko, Zegras

Defense: Barrie, Brannstrom, Cholowski, Honka, Matheson, Pulock, Shattenkirk

Goal: Dubnyk, Jarry, Markstrom, Merzlikins

2014-15, 2016-17 MHL Champions!

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Hi Steve,
    I know that they are all 55-65 points guys, but could you give me a ranking regarding next year and for the next 3 years.

Having a hard time myself to decide, your opinion will be much appreciated.

Thanks

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Quote Originally Posted by metaldude26 View Post
    Bunch of 55-65 point guys there but Stepan stands out to me as having another gear.
    Hi Steve,
    I know that they are all 55-65 points guys, but could you give me a ranking regarding next year and for the next 3 years.

Having a hard time myself to decide, your opinion will be much appreciated.

Thanks

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Savvy1982 View Post
    For the league in my sig. if I can get Klingberg for Galchenyuk, should I do it?
    Defensemen have less value because of how few you start but Klingberg looks like he'll be breaking out before Galchenyuk so I'd make that move.