Thread: Brossoit

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Default Brossoit

Hi everyone,
    In the Prospect report, Laurent Brossoit stand 2 and 7. With Cam Talbot in town, are the expectations lower?

Thank you!

Dobber Sports Stud

Default Re: Brossoit

Possibly on Dobbers side as he accounts heavily for oppurtunity....I'd say stick with 7th
    16 Team Dynasty Weekly H2H Fantrax (starters in bold)

G A P +/- PIM SOG PPP H+B FOW --- W SV SV% GAA SO

(C) Krejci, Spezza, Koivo, Statsny Faksa
    (LW) Zetterberg, Duclair, Ehlers, M Domi Belesky, M Martin
    (RW) Pastrnak, Oshie, Larkin, Toffoli S Reinhart, Brouwer
    (D) J Honka, Seabrook, Goligoski, D DeKeyser, Vatanen, Parayko L Schenn, S Johns
    (G) Ward, Lack

Prospects- W Nylander, C Dvorak, I Barbashev, C White, T Rattie, M Dal Colle, A Mantha, R Barber, L Crouse, M Barzal, C Keller, L Brown, C Fischer, B Point, J Forsbacka-Karlsson

Dobber Sports Padawan

Both Scrivens and Talbot have one year remaining on their contracts. I could see a situation in which one of them is not re-signed after the season*, which would open up a spot for Brossoit in 2016-17. But I can't see him playing much in Edmonton this season unless there's an injury. So yes, Talbot's presence lowers Brossoit's value a little.

* On a side note, there's also a minor chance that Talbot is not back in Edmonton next season, even though the Oil gave up three picks to get him. But it's more likely Scrivens gone.
    Follow me on Twitter @Ian_Gooding

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by gooding74 View Post
    Both Scrivens and Talbot have one year remaining on their contracts. I could see a situation in which one of them is not re-signed after the season*, which would open up a spot for Brossoit in 2016-17. But I can't see him playing much in Edmonton this season unless there's an injury. So yes, Talbot's presence lowers Brossoit's value a little.

* On a side note, there's also a minor chance that Talbot is not back in Edmonton next season, even though the Oil gave up three picks to get him. But it's more likely Scrivens gone.
    I believe Scrivens is already gone because the Oilers also have Anders Nilsson who is better than him.

Brossoit is still very young, so a couple of years in the AHL won't hurt him at all.

Dobber Sports Icon

I think Brossoit is grossly overrated in the Dobber Prospects report. Look back over his past 4 seasons. Last season, he was the 2nd best goalie on an average AHL team as Richard Bachman was much better. The year before he was terrible in the AHL and lights out in the ECHL. The two years before that Brossoit was the 2nd best goalie on a great WHL team as Tristan Jarry had much, much better numbers in both seasons. I don't think he ever becomes more than an NHL back up goalie if he even becomes that.

Dobber Sports Deity

I am not sure that Talbot affects Brossoit all that much. Brossoit is still a couple years away from really proving much at the NHL level. The Oilers are in no rush to speed up his development.

My expectations remain the same on Brossoit. He's a prospect goalie who's still honing his craft. As with any young goalie in the AHL, patience is preached or failure is usually the outcome.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Apprentice

As the other contributor to the goalie list in the Dobber prospect report I can shed some light...

The official ratings on Brossoit were #2 by Dobber a #9 by me... (dunno where the 7 is coming from... unless there's been an edit I'm not aware of... There is a minor mistake on my top 50 list but its not worth mine or your time to denote)

Dobber - as mention felt at the time, and could still feel, Brossoit is one of 2 prospects that has a chance of thrusting themselves into the NHL in the fall and having success... His rating is more weighted to the now and opportunity... and I do agree with that ideal that Brossoit is one of the top 3 closest to making the NHL for good.

Me - I look long term and overall success with skill as my measure... I feel Brossoit is going to be a very legit NHL goalie... and 50% chance at being a starter for the majority of his career... that said, I feel he does not have the talent to be a top end starter like the 8 above him. I would actually compare him to Devan Dubnyk as a low talent, big guy, that just keeps his teams in the game, not spectacular but steady. Might be capable of a few big seasons, especially if his team owns the puck possession game (which is a good outlook for talent in Edmonton), but I don't feel is a must own for fantasy managers, more of a #3 or if he is the best left avalible... His closeness to the show and security/outlook in the current organization was why I put him above guys like Berube, Jarry, Dansk ect...

Now to answer the original question... Talbot and Nilsson do affect the fact it lowers the odds that he breaks camp with the Oilers, But keep in mind, what ever combo they use this year, they are all 1 year contracts and Brossoit will have the exact same chance to make the team next year with only Nilsson being an RFA... So his outlook is good short term...

Possible scenarios:
    Scrivens has to clear waivers to go to the AHL, so if Nilsson makes the NHL roster with Talbot, they are either using 3 goalies or Scrivens can be waived and claimed, making Brossoit clear #3...

Through the season if Scrivens makes the team and shows poorly, they will give the best AHL goalie a shot, Brossoit or Nilsson, with Scrivens back on waivers...

In the case of an injury, Brossoit has the chance to be the recall considering he has had a great showing in his first NHL appearance...

Without the Oilers bringing in a Legit #1 goalie or secure backup, Brossoit's outlook is rather positive.

It was mentioned that he may be 'grossly overrated'... That may be true way down the road, won't denie it as I rated some more talented potential guys behind him... but we try and give an outlook more for the next 3 seasons than 10 years down the road... and Brossoit is much closer and easier to project than Jake Paterson, Igor Shesterkin, Ilya Sorokin and Ilya Samsonov, and besides I and most other managers would rather own a guy that is more likely to see the light of day within the next 2 years rather than 4-5 years down the road...

The goalie list is sort of a rolling list usually only a few guys drop from it year over year... Last year Brossoit was rated 22nd by Dobber (right behind Hellebuyck) and 12th on my list... Gibson, Vas, Svedberg left my list, and Laurent jumped Dansk, Stolarz, Wedgewood and Campbell... Hellebuyck had a huge showing in pro and World Championships to jump from 25th - 1st, Demko being closer to the NHL with no other notable Prospect in the Vancouver system jumped him from 24th - 3rd, Matt Murray's amazing AHL season threw him from off my list due to Jarry's projected status, to #7... and Eric Comrie turning pro in a solid system has propelled him to enter my list at 8th... Just to show how it rolled and how it affected Brossoit's station in my opinion...

Currently Visentin is my albatross this off season as Phx declined to give him a contract due to losing a year to injury, He is now part of Chicago system but on an AHL contract to Rockford where he will likely be the starter over Mike Leighton... but he has to prove that he is still high quality and that the injury will not affect his career. In my opinion his talent is still there, but not knowing his outlook as any organization can sign him and undercut Chicago, negatively hits his rating...
    Current Roster:

F: H Sedin, Plekanec, Perry, Cammalleri, Oshie, Stepan, Anisimov, Kunitz, Justin Williams, Little, Baertchi, Huberdeau, Eberle, Rattie, Hoffman, Holland, Horvat, Dano, Dal Colle, Kerdiles

D: Boumeester, Green, Carlson, Del Zotto, Myers, Alzner, M Staal, Pouliot, Gormley, Mueller

G: Varlamov, Mrazek, Niemi, Vasilevski, Ramo, Hellebuyck