Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Steve Mason

Dobber Sports Master

Default Re: Steve Mason

I read this today and thought of this thread.

“We think we brought in a real good goalie that’s going to give us a real solid backup, and I’m sure he’s probably going to play more than the typical backup,” Hextall said to the media on July 1.
    The average NHL backup goaltender plays between 20-25 games per season. With Hextall wanting Neuvirth to play “more than the typical backup,” the best guess for his average number of games started would be a solid 35. Certainly not a full split that you would have in a 1A-1B system, but enough that Neuvirth’s presence would be felt in the standings though not enough to instill fear in Mason that he’s being pushed out of the goal crease.

- http://alongtheboards.com/2015/07/wh...s-steve-mason/

The Magnificent One

interesting quote but I don't see it happening. I know people believe in Neuvirth but he is a backup not a starting goalie. if the flyers want a better chance at winning they will be playing mason more often.

as for halak vs mason probably halak as he will get more wins but shutouts that's flip a coin. Halak wont get too many shutouts.
    18 team H2H Keeper League
    G/A/PPP/SHP/GWG/SOG/FOW/Hits&blks/W/GAA/SV/SV%
    play 4c/8w/6d/1G (2min start)/6 bench/
    C: Hughes, Zacha, Howden, compher, Tierney, Frederic
    W: Gaudreau, Schwartz, M.Tkachuk, Fabbri, Bratt, Yamamoto, Wahlstrom, Okposo, Heinen, M.Folingo, Hinostroza, Mcginn
    D: Hughes, Ceci, Pelech, oleksiak, Holden, Poolman
    G: Markstrom, Oettinger,
    P:Rossi,Bowers,Heponiemi,Kupari,Wise,Dorofeyev,Fir stov,Clarke,Fortin,holloway,Nygard,Aberg,Rasmussen ,Elynuik,M.Jones,Chlapik,Platzer,Bracco,Kuokkanen, Lind,Liljegren,J.Roy,Montembeault,Raaymakers,Woll, prosvetov,Larmi

Dobber Sports Master

I think that 35 is a pretty high number. I think it'll be closer to 25. That is still a lot of starts though. Enough to make you rethink having him as your goaltender. If he's only gonna get a maximum of 57(ish) starts, its a fairly large impact.

Dobber Sports Ace

Mason is also a walking band aid boy with back and knee issues....smart to have a better backup G

None of the young Flyer D prospects are likely to make the jump this season; likely 1-2 seasons after this one to see much impact
    Champion: 2010, 2014, 2015, 2016
    12 Team Keeper League - 12F, 6D, 3G, 3 Bench (Keep 6, in Bold)
    $250 Cap (0-9 +3; 10-19 +4; >20 +5 each season)
    WW = $10

G, A, +/-, PPG, PPA, GWG, SHG, W, GAA, SV%, SO - Points Based League

F: Guentzel (15), Point (11), Barzal (18), WNylander (15), Trochek (1), Eberle (1), Domi (4), Toffoli (1), TBertuzzi (1), Buchnevich (1), Tuch (1), Puljujarvi (1)

D: Theodore (17), Heiskanen (15), Pulock (7), Sanheim (1), Faulk (1), Morrissey (1)

G: Markstrom (7), Saros (15), Binnington (39), Jarry (40)

B: DeSmith (1), Lindblom (1)

IR or Out: Ghost (1), OEL (9), Teravainen (28), PMyers (1)