Page 34 of 65 FirstFirst ... 24 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 44 ... LastLast

Thread: It's the THINGS THAT IRK YOU thread - not hockey related

Dobber Sports Master

Default Re: It's the THINGS THAT IRK YOU thread - not hockey related

Quote Originally Posted by Atomic Wedgy View Post
    I think its important to question the media and do your own research. If your main source of "news" is FB memes then you should definitely seek alternative sources of information. Folks seem to jump on bandwagons real quick without knowing the facts. They are also quick to regurgitate misinformation they receive and treat them as fact. This also irks me.
    I hate facebook facts.

I had an acquaintance who 'liked' an article about how big pharma was covering up vitamin B-17's excellent results against cancer cells in the lab because it is cheap and readily available so they can't make money off of it.

Couple of things:
    1. Google vitamin B17... go ahead, take a moment.
    2. Yeah, that was easy wasn't it? And probably not the most supportive results either...

If you didn't want to google, I'll give you the short form: It is a poison with no evidence of anti-cancer effects.

This post had pages of anti-drug company rants because they were denying us this 'cure'... I didn't chime in for the same reason that I don't use my ***** to harvest honey from wild beehives.

As an aside, if you ever see 'kills cancer cells in the lab' as an explanation for a miraculous cure just remember that fire, explosions, handguns, acid, etc, can all kill cancer cells in the lab.
    /S

~ I'm not a sociopath, it's just that my magnetic personality keeps throwing off my moral compass.~

Victoria DH
    C(3): Athanasiou, Sissons, Zibanejad
    LW(3): Lehkonen, Burakovsky, Hymen
    RW(3): Bjorkstrand, Smith, Palmieri
    F(3): Stepan (C), Bjork (LW), Poehling (C)
    D(6): Carlson, Heiskanen, Bogosian, Edler, Hakanpaa, Fleury
    G(1): Talbot, Sorokin, Varlamov
    Bench: Parise (LW), Motte (C), Richardson (C), Hagg (D)
    IR: Wood, Henrique, Johnson, Dvorak

Prospects: (F) Barre-Boulet, Khovanov, Beckman, Greig, N. Robertson, Fagemo, Tuomalaa, (D) Ceulemans, Hughes, Schneider, Zboril

Dobber Sports Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by Godin View Post
    Well said. He should be happy he is a fee man in Canada.

I know Law Man mentioned that the only evidence of him killing anyone was obtained via torture. I don't know for a fact if he did or if he didn't because I wasn't there. At the same time, obviously he would never admit to killing anyone, and I would think that other soldiers witnessed him throwing an explosive device. I don't know what we are supposed to believe regarding the media and there are media services I trust more than others, however, every media source that I have read, has said that he was guilty.

Whether it was through torture or not, the guy is still alive. Thats more than anyone can say for any ISIS or al qaeda prisioner.
    2 points
    1. Khard did enter a plea deal with the U.S. government in October 2010 whereby he pled guilty. In that sense he is “guilty”. He pled “guilty” to “murder in violation of the laws of war” in a US military tribunal. Since entering the guilty plea multiple other convictions from the same court have been overturned by US Appeal Courts for a variety of reasons including that the crimes charged were not recognised war crimes and thus the military tribunal had no authority to make the rulings. Essentially, Khadr was convicted of a crime created by the US government after the actions he was accused of took place in many ways it was a crime invented after the fact.
    2. The bigger issue is the reason Khadr entered his guilty plea was that even if he were to be acquitted of the charges in front of a US tribunal, the US took the position it still had the right to detain him indefinitely at Guantanamo Bay. So, go on trial, be acquitted, still get detained as an enemy combatant. Further, it had been 10 years and there was no trial in sight for Khadr, the only way he was guaranteed a hearing was by agreeing to pled guilty. By pleading guilty Khadr’s hope and understanding was that he would be repatriated back to Canada to serve his sentence. Ultimately Khadr was repatriated to Canada in 2012 to serve out the remainder of his sentence.
    In a nutshell there was a very real possibility that if he refused to pled guilty he'd never had seen a trial, or been acquitted at trial and still held indefinitely.

Finally, the argument “the other side is garbage and tortures people so who cares if we tortured someone who is allegedly a member of the otherside” holds zero water IMO. We adhere to the rule of law whether the others do or not, we do it because it’s the right thing to do and because our principles demand it. We uphold the rights of individuals because they are rights, if the government fails to uphold them, or upholds them selectively they become privileges.

Quote Originally Posted by Godin View Post
    Fair enough AW.

The thing is, who then do you believe? I wasn't in Afghanistan when Khadr alledgidly tossed a grenade and killed a US soldier, nor was I in Guantomino Bay when Khadr was alledgidly tortured into a confession. So could neither of these events even happened? We can't say for sure because I, and I am assuming you as well, was not there. So, who are we supposed to believe? US Soldiers? Canadian Sodiers? al quadea? Guantonomo Bay officers? Khadr? We can research stories about this until we are blue in the face but, all the stories are going to originate from either Afghanistan and Guantomino Bay. Also, he was imprisioned by the Americans, not Canadians.

I'll say one more thing. My basis for whom I believe is that, I am not going to believe the person that is on the side of those trying to kill the people that are fighting for our freedom and safety.
    We don’t and can’t know what to believe. That’s why we have a trial, to test the evidence and apply the law. Ultimately Khadr has never stood trial before a court of competent jurisdiction with the evidence being tested. That is the whole issue here. Obviously you or I don’t know if Khadr is guilty of the crimes he was accused of that’s the entire point of a trial, a real trial, with real rules of evidence and rules of natural justice (right to face your accuser, right to know the case against you, the right to know the evidence against you and to cross-examine same, right to an impartial trier of facts etc. etc. etc.). If he’s found guilty of the charges then we punish him in accordance with our principles of justice and if he’s acquitted of the charges we release him. This never happened. Instead he was held without charges, or trial for over a decade, no charges, no court, no trial whatsoever.

Further, the fact that Khardr was tortured is not disputed by either side. The US military records and CSIS records both acknowledge that Khardr was sleep deprived for 21 straight days (moved cells every 3 hours for 21 straight days) he was short shackled, denied medical attention and force-fed. The US disputes that some or all of these amount to “torture” preferring “enhanced interrogation techniques” but the fact that these actions occurred is not disputed.

You are correct that he was held by the American government. The Canadian government failed him in other ways, that is what his lawsuit was over and that is the lawsuit that is being settled. The Canadian government (across parties) was compliant in his capture and detention and at points even helped in his interrogation.

This is a complex issue legally, morally and ethically and a fine debate that could go on for many pages. For that reason I'm going to end my comments in this thread [The Things that Irk You] here as I believe the intention of the irks you thread are matters that are much lighter in nature. If anyone is interested in continuing the debate I will be happy to do so in a new thread.
    12 team H-2-H 1 year league, daily roster changes, 3 goalie start minimum/week
    2xC, 2xRW, 2xLW, 4xD, 3xUtil, 2xG, 5 Bench
    G, A, P, PIM, PPP, SHP, GWG, SOG, Hits, W, SV%, GAA, SVs
    C: C. Keller, C. Mittelstadt, B. Nelson, R. Strome,
    LW: K. Connor, B. Tkachuk, J. Gaudreau, J. Marchessault, E. Rodrigues, A. Lafreniere
    RW: K. Fiala, J. Bratt, T. Jeannot V. Arvidsson
    D: R. Josi, J. Trouba, E. Gustafsson,
    G: L. Thompson, F. Gustavsson, V. Vanecek
    NO IR

Dobber Sports Ninja

At they gym yesterday and I look over at the leg press to see 2 x 50 kg (about 110 pounds for those non-metric people) weights, one on each side. It's not leg day for me (it's not leg day a lot for me!), so I'm not upset because I have to use the machine, but I think of all the people who aren't able to move a 50 kg plate and I get pissed at the jackass, idiotic, dickhead, inconsiderate juicer that leaves weights that heavy on the machine. Anyone who goes to a gym knows that gym etiquette states that you are supposed to put away your weights after use. It's probably the same guy who doesn't use his turn signal in his car, speeds up to close the gap when you signal when you're trying to merge and leaves a big turd in the work toilet without flushing. I hope you get dick cancer and almost die and then get rectal leukemia.
    "For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry God. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now and at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon. Amen." - Sterling Archer

"Don't spray that urine on my sons window. If you want a dollar for doing nothing, walk to Canada." - Malory Archer

“Anyone who thinks the pen is mightier than the sword has not been stabbed with both.” - Lemony Snicket

Dobber Sports Sage

Quote Originally Posted by The Comish View Post
    At they gym yesterday and I look over at the leg press to see 2 x 50 kg (about 110 pounds for those non-metric people) weights, one on each side. It's not leg day for me (it's not leg day a lot for me!), so I'm not upset because I have to use the machine, but I think of all the people who aren't able to move a 50 kg plate and I get pissed at the jackass, idiotic, dickhead, inconsiderate juicer that leaves weights that heavy on the machine. Anyone who goes to a gym knows that gym etiquette states that you are supposed to put away your weights after use. It's probably the same guy who doesn't use his turn signal in his car, speeds up to close the gap when you signal when you're trying to merge and leaves a big turd in the work toilet without flushing. I hope you get dick cancer and almost die and then get rectal leukemia.
    I'm with ya!
    10 Team, 60 Player Roster
    G, A, PTS, PPP, PIM, BLKs, Hits, +/-, Shots, W, GAA, SV%, Saves
    C- JHughes, Trocheck, RThomas, Zegras, Norris, Bennett, PLD, Stephenson, Danualt
    RW- Raymond, Stone, TWilson, Toffoli, KJohnson, Nyqvist, Zary
    LW- Keller, Schmaltz, Bunting, Skinner, Barbashev, Duclair
    D- QHughes, McAvoy, Doughty, Heiskanen, LHughes, Mintyukov
    G- Shesterkin, Demko, Andersen, Kahkonen, Levi, Tarasov, Annunen

Notable Prospects- Nikishin, Kulich, Leonard, Wood, Perreault, Lekkermaki, Ostlund, Othmman, REvans, L-Heureux, Ivanov, Murashov

Dobber Sports Monster

forest fires. theres like 4 fires RIGHT near my town and its 32 degrees outside and windy. there was dry lightning apparently and i heard one house burned down so far. so close to town thats the scary thing

Dobber Sports Monster

FFS theres like 7 fires within 100 km from me and theres one maybe 10 km from my place. the other fires are on the other side of my town. we're pretty small town only 20,000 or so population. ALL of which popped up today. WTF

one of our highways is closed now too and the airport and firecenter are evacuated.

Dobber Sports Monster

now were being told our whole town should be ready for a full evacuation. smokey as heck right now.

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by StuntMan12 View Post
    now were being told our whole town should be ready for a full evacuation. smokey as heck right now.
    First and foremost StuntMan12, stay safe and I hope everything turns out alright.
    "For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry God. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now and at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon. Amen." - Sterling Archer

"Don't spray that urine on my sons window. If you want a dollar for doing nothing, walk to Canada." - Malory Archer

“Anyone who thinks the pen is mightier than the sword has not been stabbed with both.” - Lemony Snicket

Dobber Sports Monster

Quote Originally Posted by The Comish View Post
    First and foremost StuntMan12, stay safe and I hope everything turns out alright.
    thanks comish. earlier in the day i thought nothing of this until now there has been about 3000-4000 people evacuated and the fire is just metres away from our airport. all over the news.

there is video on the fires all in our area

http://globalnews.ca/news/3583975/williams-lake-fire/

Dobber Sports Monster

good god now all our highways are closed coming in and out of our town. if worse comes to worse there are back roads by my area so it should be ok. still this is nuts. how this isn't a state of emergency is beyond me

Dobber Sports Star

There is another thing that I would also like to point out about the Khadr situation, that most people are not taking into consideration at all. It isn't like Speer was walking down the street minding his own business and Khadr killed him. This was a combat situation. The Americans had already killed most everyone else in the compound and Speer was on the team to secure the building when the grenade was thrown (Again, very little evidence to support that Khadr threw the grenade. Certainly not enough evidence to even warrant a trial by Canadian standards). I may be wrong (Lawman, help me out here), but it seems as though the Americans have made it so that it is completely legal for them to kill you, but you can't legally kill them. To me, that's not right.

I also feel like the Khadr situation should have its own thread here, although that has the potential to get out of hand. I also agree that people are jumping to conclusions without taking the time to research what happened. Also, the media is shamefully using this incident to push their own agendas (Yes, I am talking to you, Toronto Sun).

Rylant

Dobber Sports All-Star

^^^^^^^^^^

Thanks for your knowledge Law Man. Very much appreciated. Great to have you on here.

There are legal issues basically in every aspect of life. Whether to protect people from others or even themselves, 99% of the time, I trust the law is right. However, this just seems so wrong IMO. Khadar wasn't sent to battle by his country. He went with his father to join a terrorist group that kills Canadian soldiers and is then protected by those soldiers country. It doesn't make sense, but like you said, that is the complexity of the legal system.

As wrong as it legally may be, that's just my opinion and won't say anymore about it.

Dobber Sports Genius

Lots of irking lately but all done in a respectful way. Keep it up.
    Hockey Pools? Too many to mention. Points only, salary cap and dynasty.

Dobber Sports All-Star

WD40 spray cans. They are awful. They drip all over your hand when you spray it, which is a waste and also annoying because you have to wash up after using it. You shouldn't have to do that. Do they not have a quality control department? Geez. I have been using this product for probably 40 years, but no more. I just bought Liquid Wrench. It sprays great and no dripping. Roughly the same price.

Dobber Sports Master

People who think speed bumps in mall parking lots are cross-walks. The crosswalk is that stripey thing about 10yrds away... if you were there I would stop and let you cross, but you ain't so I will run you the eff over you entitled moron. Suffice it to say, someone done irked me today.
    /S

~ I'm not a sociopath, it's just that my magnetic personality keeps throwing off my moral compass.~

Victoria DH
    C(3): Athanasiou, Sissons, Zibanejad
    LW(3): Lehkonen, Burakovsky, Hymen
    RW(3): Bjorkstrand, Smith, Palmieri
    F(3): Stepan (C), Bjork (LW), Poehling (C)
    D(6): Carlson, Heiskanen, Bogosian, Edler, Hakanpaa, Fleury
    G(1): Talbot, Sorokin, Varlamov
    Bench: Parise (LW), Motte (C), Richardson (C), Hagg (D)
    IR: Wood, Henrique, Johnson, Dvorak

Prospects: (F) Barre-Boulet, Khovanov, Beckman, Greig, N. Robertson, Fagemo, Tuomalaa, (D) Ceulemans, Hughes, Schneider, Zboril