Page 33 of 65 FirstFirst ... 23 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 43 ... LastLast

Thread: It's the THINGS THAT IRK YOU thread - not hockey related

Dobber Sports All-Star

Default Re: It's the THINGS THAT IRK YOU thread - not hockey related

^so ridiculous. I had to wait a few hours when my daughter was about 2 yrs old. She needed stiches. I had my son with me and a buddy and his son also came along. After a few hours, I told the kids to do what they want. Play. Run. Scream. Yell. Throw things. It worked.

Dobber Sports All-Star

It irks me that a terrorist, Kadr, is awarded $10 million and an apology when that award should go to the widow of the soldier that he killed. Seems like a slap in the face for our troops.

Dobber Sports Monster

Quote Originally Posted by Godin View Post
    It irks me that a terrorist is awarded $10 million and an apology when that award should go to the widow of the soldier that he killed. Seems like a slap in the face for our troops.
    agree. was a messed up situation that he was in as a kid but give the money to the people who are really hurting through all of this. it's like everything works backwards these days

Dobber Sports Star

^ It's not like they just decided to hand the guy a bunch of money out of the goodness of their hearts. They were getting sued, and it sounds like there are some details of mistreatment that they would rather stay buried.

Dobber Sports Master

Quote Originally Posted by StuntMan12 View Post
    slow lineups in tim hortons. nothing more irritating
    did you post this while in the lineup

Dobber Sports Monster

Quote Originally Posted by butch View Post
    did you post this while in the lineup
    no lol. i dont really use my tablet and its hard finding wifi at my tim hortons. u got to be basically inside the store in order to get it.

Dobber Sports Monster

Quote Originally Posted by forumname View Post
    ^ It's not like they just decided to hand the guy a bunch of money out of the goodness of their hearts. They were getting sued, and it sounds like there are some details of mistreatment that they would rather stay buried.
    i know, am not one to really argue politics or care to but just seems crazy to me that a war criminal who went to prison for throwing a grenade at a us soldier is getting compensated. like he is the real victim in this case. the ones i really feel for is the soldier and his family that is effected by all this.

Dobber Sports Master

i know, am not one to really argue politics or care to but just seems crazy to me that a war criminal who went to prison for throwing a grenade at a us soldier is getting compensated. like he is the real victim in this case. the ones i really feel for is the soldier and his family that is effected by all this.
    Except he didn't really go to prison... he was held for 10 years without any real trial and probably tortured... also, not a war criminal (historically the term would be enemy combatant, but thanks the pesky Geneva Convention they avoid that term in the middle east these days and use 'terrorist' instead)

Timothy McVeigh got a trial and the protection of his rights... if Kadr had been treated the same there wouldn't be a lawsuit.
    /S

~ I'm not a sociopath, it's just that my magnetic personality keeps throwing off my moral compass.~

Victoria DH
    C(3): Athanasiou, Sissons, Zibanejad
    LW(3): Lehkonen, Burakovsky, Hymen
    RW(3): Bjorkstrand, Smith, Palmieri
    F(3): Stepan (C), Bjork (LW), Poehling (C)
    D(6): Carlson, Heiskanen, Bogosian, Edler, Hakanpaa, Fleury
    G(1): Talbot, Sorokin, Varlamov
    Bench: Parise (LW), Motte (C), Richardson (C), Hagg (D)
    IR: Wood, Henrique, Johnson, Dvorak

Prospects: (F) Barre-Boulet, Khovanov, Beckman, Greig, N. Robertson, Fagemo, Tuomalaa, (D) Ceulemans, Hughes, Schneider, Zboril

Dobber Sports Monster

Quote Originally Posted by Loch View Post
    Except he didn't really go to prison... he was held for 10 years without any real trial and probably tortured... also, not a war criminal (historically the term would be enemy combatant, but thanks the pesky Geneva Convention they avoid that term in the middle east these days and use 'terrorist' instead)

Timothy McVeigh got a trial and the protection of his rights... if Kadr had been treated the same there wouldn't be a lawsuit.
    killing an american service member is enough grounds to be imprisoned by the us. A terrorist who took up arms against his own nation is no longer a Canadian i believe. He should be happy he is a free man in Canada let alone becoming a multimillionaire after this is all said and done. Its the hard working tax payers of canada who are footing the bill, and im pretty sure the tax payers didnt support him going overseas and supporting his cause or whatever he was trying to stand for.

Dobber Sports Superstar

It irks me that this matter is being distorted and oversimplified by members of the media and a great deal of people on social media. For one the only evidence Khadr killed anyone is a confession that was obtained via torture yet the "fact" that he killed an American serviceman is constantly brought up.

It irks me that Justin Trudeau (who I am no fan of) is taking the hit for this settlement when the misconduct being settled was commenced long before he got to office. Both Liberal (Chretien/Martion) and Conservative (Harper) governments screwed up the handling of the Khadr matter for many, many years. Khadr has won in front of the Supreme Court of Canada on 3 separate instances. Trudeau is saving the country millions in dollars with this settlement. If nothing else this settlement is pragmatic in that regard.

The bigger it irks me is that society, the news, social media seem to have lost any sense of nuance and the Khadr case is just another example. You shouldn't have to pick between siding with the soldiers who are fighting for their Country or you wanting the rule of law upheld. The reality is you can back both and demand both of the government. You can want our soldiers to receive fair compensation, including access to extensive mental health services, for their heroic service and at the same time you can insist that the government of Canada adhere to the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms as well as all other domestic and international policies it is a signatory to.
    12 team H-2-H 1 year league, daily roster changes, 3 goalie start minimum/week
    2xC, 2xRW, 2xLW, 4xD, 3xUtil, 2xG, 5 Bench
    G, A, P, PIM, PPP, SHP, GWG, SOG, Hits, W, SV%, GAA, SVs
    C: C. Keller, C. Mittelstadt, B. Nelson, R. Strome,
    LW: K. Connor, B. Tkachuk, J. Gaudreau, J. Marchessault, E. Rodrigues, A. Lafreniere
    RW: K. Fiala, J. Bratt, T. Jeannot V. Arvidsson
    D: R. Josi, J. Trouba, E. Gustafsson,
    G: L. Thompson, F. Gustavsson, V. Vanecek
    NO IR

Dobber Sports Titan

It irks me when people will complain and stomp their feet on "injustice" then go and sit on their butts and watch TV. Obviously you don't care too highly in the regard to do something so why waste your breath complaining?
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports Master

Quote Originally Posted by LawMan View Post
    It irks me that this matter is being distorted and oversimplified by members of the media and a great deal of people on social media. For one the only evidence Khadr killed anyone is a confession that was obtained via torture yet the "fact" that he killed an American serviceman is constantly brought up.

It irks me that Justin Trudeau (who I am no fan of) is taking the hit for this settlement when the misconduct being settled was commenced long before he got to office. Both Liberal (Chretien/Martion) and Conservative (Harper) governments screwed up the handling of the Khadr matter for many, many years. Khadr has won in front of the Supreme Court of Canada on 3 separate instances. Trudeau is saving the country millions in dollars with this settlement. If nothing else this settlement is pragmatic in that regard.

The bigger it irks me is that society, the news, social media seem to have lost any sense of nuance and the Khadr case is just another example. You shouldn't have to pick between siding with the soldiers who are fighting for their Country or you wanting the rule of law upheld. The reality is you can back both and demand both of the government. You can want our soldiers to receive fair compensation, including access to extensive mental health services, for their heroic service and at the same time you can insist that the government of Canada adhere to the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms as well as all other domestic and international policies it is a signatory to.
    This, 100000000000 times over.

There is a reason that LawMan is my #1 Dobberhockey man-crush (sorry Bondon, we had a good run and I will remember you fondly).
    /S

~ I'm not a sociopath, it's just that my magnetic personality keeps throwing off my moral compass.~

Victoria DH
    C(3): Athanasiou, Sissons, Zibanejad
    LW(3): Lehkonen, Burakovsky, Hymen
    RW(3): Bjorkstrand, Smith, Palmieri
    F(3): Stepan (C), Bjork (LW), Poehling (C)
    D(6): Carlson, Heiskanen, Bogosian, Edler, Hakanpaa, Fleury
    G(1): Talbot, Sorokin, Varlamov
    Bench: Parise (LW), Motte (C), Richardson (C), Hagg (D)
    IR: Wood, Henrique, Johnson, Dvorak

Prospects: (F) Barre-Boulet, Khovanov, Beckman, Greig, N. Robertson, Fagemo, Tuomalaa, (D) Ceulemans, Hughes, Schneider, Zboril

Dobber Sports All-Star

killing an american service member is enough grounds to be imprisoned by the us. A terrorist who took up arms against his own nation is no longer a Canadian i believe. He should be happy he is a free man in Canada let alone becoming a multimillionaire after this is all said and done. Its the hard working tax payers of canada who are footing the bill, and im pretty sure the tax payers didnt support him going overseas and supporting his cause or whatever he was trying to stand for.
    Well said. He should be happy he is a fee man in Canada.

I know Law Man mentioned that the only evidence of him killing anyone was obtained via torture. I don't know for a fact if he did or if he didn't because I wasn't there. At the same time, obviously he would never admit to killing anyone, and I would think that other soldiers witnessed him throwing an explosive device. I don't know what we are supposed to believe regarding the media and there are media services I trust more than others, however, every media source that I have read, has said that he was guilty.

Whether it was through torture or not, the guy is still alive. Thats more than anyone can say for any ISIS or al qaeda prisioner.

Dobber Sports Master

Quote Originally Posted by Godin View Post
    Well said. He should be happy he is a fee man in Canada.

I know Law Man mentioned that the only evidence of him killing anyone was obtained via torture. I don't know for a fact if he did or if he didn't because I wasn't there. At the same time, obviously he would never admit to killing anyone, and I would think that other soldiers witnessed him throwing an explosive device. I don't know what we are supposed to believe regarding the media and there are media services I trust more than others, however, every media source that I have read, has said that he was guilty.

Whether it was through torture or not, the guy is still alive. Thats more than anyone can say for any ISIS or al qaeda prisioner.
    I think its important to question the media and do your own research. If your main source of "news" is FB memes (and I am not saying this is you Godin), then you should definitely seek alternative sources of information. Folks seem to jump on bandwagons real quick without knowing the facts. They are also quick to regurgitate misinformation they receive and treat them as fact. This also irks me.

Dobber Sports All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by Atomic Wedgy View Post
    I think its important to question the media and do your own research. If your main source of "news" is FB memes (and I am not saying this is you Godin), then you should definitely seek alternative sources of information. Folks seem to jump on bandwagons real quick without knowing the facts. They are also quick to regurgitate misinformation they receive and treat them as fact. This also irks me.
    Fair enough AW.

The thing is, who then do you believe? I wasn't in Afghanistan when Khadr alledgidly tossed a grenade and killed a US soldier, nor was I in Guantomino Bay when Khadr was alledgidly tortured into a confession. So could neither of these events even happened? We can't say for sure because I, and I am assuming you as well, was not there. So, who are we supposed to believe? US Soldiers? Canadian Sodiers? al quadea? Guantonomo Bay officers? Khadr? We can research stories about this until we are blue in the face but, all the stories are going to originate from either Afghanistan and Guantomino Bay. Also, he was imprisioned by the Americans, not Canadians.

I'll say one more thing. My basis for whom I believe is that, I am not going to believe the person that is on the side of those trying to kill the people that are fighting for our freedom and safety.