Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: ISS Top 30 Draft Rankings

Dobber Sports Padawan

Default Re: ISS Top 30 Draft Rankings

Why is Marner not rated #3? From what I've seen the only thing he lacks on a recent undersized prospect, Drouin, is top end speed.
    16 Team H2H Dynasty
    G A Pt PIM SoG PPP H+B FOW DZS
    W Svs GAA Sv%

C Scheifele Tavares Dvorack Eller
    LW Domi Aho Ritchie Vrana
    RW Tarasenko J Williams Laine Sheary
    D Klefbom M Rielly Spurgeon Provorov Ellis Dahlin
    R White Kase Schmaltz Thomas Anston-Reese Lindell Theodore

G McEhlinney C Anderson
    R Kuemper

M Bjork Raddysh Kravtsov Ylonen Soderstorm Gilles Gustavsson Point Khakonen Delia Hill

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by yougo View Post
    You seriously think that teams do not back away from players from Russia even though they play in the CHL? Best example last year is Scherbak. He had better numbers than Virtanen and Bleackley yet he dropped.
    To be fair, Virtanen and Scherbak are completely different players; Scherbak is still a very raw prospect and has a very underwhelming two-way presence. I didn't agree with the Avs selection of Bleackley but the explanation would probably have to be his leadership abilities, defensive soundness, PK abilities etc.

By your standard, teams should have opted for Goldobin (94 points in 67 games) over Ritchie or Perlini, or am I misunderstanding your point?

Dobber Sports Expert

Quote Originally Posted by petegreg21 View Post
    To be fair, Virtanen and Scherbak are completely different players; Scherbak is still a very raw prospect and has a very underwhelming two-way presence. I didn't agree with the Avs selection of Bleackley but the explanation would probably have to be his leadership abilities, defensive soundness, PK abilities etc.

By your standard, teams should have opted for Goldobin (94 points in 67 games) over Ritchie or Perlini, or am I misunderstanding your point?
    Yep, they should have. Pts/G is by far the best way to predict future production in the NHL.

http://www.arcticicehockey.com/2015/...ent-production
    twitter: @hugotwigg

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by yougo View Post
    Yep, they should have. Pts/G is by far the best way to predict future production in the NHL.

http://www.arcticicehockey.com/2015/...ent-production
    I certainly won't get into a pissing match with you about this, but it's pretty easy to debunk if you back test your theory. The 2009 draft for example, with Pts/G in draft year alongside NHL pts/g:

OHL:
    3. Duchene (1.385) / (0.76)
    7. Kadri (1.393) / (0.61)
    13. Kassian (1.033) / (0.33)
    15. Holland (0.985) / (0.32)
    33. O'Reilly (0.97) / (0.58)
    85. Cody Eakin (0.87) / (0.45)

WHL:
    5. Braden Schenn (1.257) / (0.49)
    8. Scott Glennie (1.272) / (0.00)
    179. Brandon Kozun (1.50) / (0.20)

49. Stef Elliot (0.775) / (0.29)
    64. Tyson Barrie (0.764) / (0.56)

Another fun one to throw in that was the first to come to mind is the 2006 draft:
    6. Derrick Brassard (2.00) / (0.59)
    22. Claude Giroux (1.927) / (0.91)
    ^ Pretty big difference, even though Brassard had a better pts/g.

Dobber Sports Expert

I certainly won't get into a pissing match with you about this, but it's pretty easy to debunk if you back test your theory. The 2009 draft for example, with Pts/G in draft year alongside NHL pts/g:

OHL:
    3. Duchene (1.385) / (0.76)
    7. Kadri (1.393) / (0.61)
    13. Kassian (1.033) / (0.33)
    15. Holland (0.985) / (0.32)
    33. O'Reilly (0.97) / (0.58)
    85. Cody Eakin (0.87) / (0.45)

WHL:
    5. Braden Schenn (1.257) / (0.49)
    8. Scott Glennie (1.272) / (0.00)
    179. Brandon Kozun (1.50) / (0.20)

49. Stef Elliot (0.775) / (0.29)
    64. Tyson Barrie (0.764) / (0.56)

Another fun one to throw in that was the first to come to mind is the 2006 draft:
    6. Derrick Brassard (2.00) / (0.59)
    22. Claude Giroux (1.927) / (0.91)
    ^ Pretty big difference, even though Brassard had a better pts/g.
    You are right. It was dumb from me to say that Pts/G is the best way to rate players. I think it's a very important factor when assessing players but shouldn't be the only thing. I'll take the hit for saying that, not sure what I was thinking when I wrote that.

On another note, have you guys ever taken the time to look at http://www.theprojectionproject.com/Home/Search. Very interesting stuff there.
    twitter: @hugotwigg

Dobber Sports Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Big Ev View Post

crouse is a coache's dream. I'm a huge fan and his offensive is very underrated
    He can be a coach's dream, I am sure Tyler Biggs was a coach's dream too! haha. I said I think he will be a good hockey player I just don't see the fantasy/offensive upside to warrant a high pick is all
    BEER RULES - 16 team H2H keeper. Dress: 3C, 3LW, 3RW, 6D, 2G Reserve: 5; 20 farm players
    Stats: G, A, STP, +/-, GWG+, H+B, PIM, W, SV, SV%, SO
    C: Hischer, Zib, J.Hughes
    LW: Guentzel, Svechnikov
    RW: Bratt, Pastrnak
    D: Hamilton, Weegar
    G: Merzlikins, Samsonov, Murray
    Rookies: Too many awesome prospects to list

Yahoo - Keep 3, 12 team H2H.
    Stats: G, A, PTS, +/-, PPP, SHP, PIM, GWG, HIT, SOG, W, GAA, SV%, SV, SO
    Keepers: Zibanejed, Connor, Svechnikov

Twitter for this Associate editor at DobberProspects: @FHPQuinn

I can't list my 2nd main keeper as there are too many players, but it is a keep all H2H points-only league

Banned

yougo: If points was all that mattered the draft would be very easy for GMs and every easy for people to predict.

Dobber Sports Titan

Is Crouse really that good? Or is he a talented player that has the ability to move from top line scorer to 3rd line checker that can pot some goals? And the ability to play PK, even, and PP? So it’s more of what he can do for a team than what he puts up stats wise? Like 60pt, great side stats, and ability to play in all situations?
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by 2014olympicgold View Post
    Is Crouse really that good? Or is he a talented player that has the ability to move from top line scorer to 3rd line checker that can pot some goals? And the ability to play PK, even, and PP? So it’s more of what he can do for a team than what he puts up stats wise? Like 60pt, great side stats, and ability to play in all situations?
    He can Sean Couturier the crap out of his career

Banned

He's a better skater than Couturier and has more offensive upside in my opinion.

Dobber Sports Titan

Hopefully a team lets him try and become a top 6 scorer instead of type casting him into a checker/shutdown player. He’ll start out on that 3rd line prolly, but hopefully he moves up. I don’t like it when these “coaches players” get type casted into a checking role because that’s what coach asked.

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by 2014olympicgold View Post
    Hopefully a team lets him try and become a top 6 scorer instead of type casting him into a checker/shutdown player. He’ll start out on that 3rd line prolly, but hopefully he moves up. I don’t like it when these “coaches players” get type casted into a checking role because that’s what coach asked.
    His play compares pretty favourably to Jamie Benn IMO. He's a good skater, knows how to use his size, has a hard shot, goes to the net. It'll be up to him to work his way up from a bottom 6 role, but he has the tools.

Dobber Sports Titan

His play compares pretty favourably to Jamie Benn IMO. He's a good skater, knows how to use his size, has a hard shot, goes to the net. It'll be up to him to work his way up from a bottom 6 role, but he has the tools.
    Ok, thanks for the knowledge on the kid. I was never really so high on him as a scorer mostly because the only action I saw from his was the WJC, where he went from being with a skilled player (McDavid I think), to a GREAT checker on a very good checking line. But as many have seen, it’s hard to find the players to play with elite players (Crosby and Pitts rotating wingers).

In 2 yrs if he’s not producing on the stat sheet, but becoming an Eakin level checker, people will call him a bust.

Dobber Sports Deity

I am not overly high on his offensive upside but that's on limited viewings from them playing the odd time on Sportsnet.

I don't think he was used to his best abilities in the WJC so I take what I saw there with a grain of salt. That being said, I am just not excited by his overall offensive game.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    I am not overly high on his offensive upside but that's on limited viewings from them playing the odd time on Sportsnet.

I don't think he was used to his best abilities in the WJC so I take what I saw there with a grain of salt. That being said, I am just not excited by his overall offensive game.
    I could be thick skulled on this, but I don't see any issue with where his offence is at. Look at his play at the Hlinka last summer. He was still 16 years old (turned 17 right before the championship game) and he tied for the tournament lead with 6 goals in 5 games in a U18 tournament. Barzal and Marner had 7 points, Crouse, Strome, Konecny all had 6.

This year he improved his goal clip from 0.24 to 0.51 in the OHL. Fine by my standards!

Agreed he was under-utilized at the WJC but I think his versatility is what gives him such a high NHL certainty. To throw out another Benn comparison quickly, you look at the role Jamie Benn played in the bottom 6 at the olympics and chipping in 2 goals. These are guys who can play in premier roles on their own clubs but can be great team players and contributors in lesser roles on the big stage.

I'd also expect Crouse to take a much larger role at the WJC next season and again at age 19.

Disclaimer: I'm not saying Crouse is going to win any NHL scoring races, just more of a stylistic comparison and the toolkit to be a premier power forward.