Thread: This years draft question outside of top 15

Dobber Sports Stud

Default This years draft question outside of top 15

Im being asked to sweeten a deal that would send my Muzzin and my 17th pick for Kane and the 28th pick.. Is there any talent left that might still be available with the 28th pick? is the drop off from 17th to 28th that big of a difference in fantasy terms?

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Default Re: This years draft question outside of top 15

patrick kane - do it asap
    evander kane - depending on what your league setup is like i'd still probably do it.

17th will likely get you a better player than 28th but there are a lot of good forwards available in this draft that i wouldn't hesitate if i got a good upgrade.

Dobber Sports Legend

All depends on who drops. That said, you had me at "Muzzin for Kane", assuming that's Patrick Kane? If so, I make this deal in a heartbeat and reach for a boom or buster with the 28th pick. See which player lands on a favorable team that presents a nice opportunity and take him.
    8-GM / WK-H2H
    Forwards: G=2, A=1, PP/SH= +1, GWG= +2, Shootout G=1, HT= +1
    D-Men/Captain: G=3/A=2
    Goalies: W=3, OTL=1, SO= +2, SV= .10

Start = 13F, 6D, 2G / Keep 44 (3G)
    Captain: Matthews
    (F): MacKinnon, Pasta, Marner, Rantanen, Malkin, Barkov, M.Tkachuk, W.Nylander, Pettersson, Gaudreau, Laine, Keller, Miller, B.Tkachuk, Stutzle, DeBrincat, L.Raymond, K.Johnson, Cozens, Quinn, Guenther, Kulich, Cooley
    (D): Makar, Dahlin, Q.Hughes, Ekblad, Rielly, Werenski, Letang, Jones, Chychrun,
    Seider, Edvinsson, Jiricek, Korchinski, Mintyukov, Ceulemans, Hutson
    (G): Shesterkin, Demko, Vejmelka

Dobber Sports All-Star

Even at 17th it's pushing it. There's always a chance that a late pick would get lucky like Pastrnak last season but odds are against it. I'd do the deal for Kane as I don't see the value past the top 15.
    14 Team NHL Salary Cap Dynasty -daily starts
    H2H, Salary Cap 95mil, Player actual salaries (all)
    +/-,G,A,GWG,PTS,STP,PIM,SOG,HT,BS,GAA,SO,SV,W
    Starters: 12 Forwards, 6 Defense, 2 Goalies

Forwards: Domi, K.Connor, Kessel, Parise, Monahan, Point, Rantanen, Kucherov, Panarin , M.Martin, Reaves, Marner
    Defense: Butcher, K.Russell, Pelech, Girard, Klingberg, Larsson
    Goalie: Rask, Hellebuyck
    Reserves: D.Strome, Jo.Benn, Polak, C.Crawford , M.Jones, A.Dell, Koskinen
    Prospects: Soderstrom, Sorokin, J.Dahlen, Kaprizov, Yamamoto, Makar, Starrett , F.Sandstrom, Timmins, T.Terry
    Fantrax TAHL 2013 & 2018 Champion

Dobber Sports Stud

sorry its Evander Kane.

Im more concerned with the drop off in talent from 17th to 28th.

Dobber Sports Legend

Quote Originally Posted by GinFizz View Post
    sorry its Evander Kane.

Im more concerned with the drop off in talent from 17th to 28th.
    This is a different ball game. But I do think Evander Kane has 30/30/60 potential playing with Eichel. My biggest concern about him is durability. The dude just always gets hurt. Muzzin is a reliable and solid D guy but nothing special IMO. He's good but replaceable. There will be a drop from 17 to 28 but even at 17 there are no guarantees. If you want to gamble on E.Kane reaching his ceiling in Buffalo, pull the trigger. It's justified. Just not a no-brainer like if it was P.Kane.
    8-GM / WK-H2H
    Forwards: G=2, A=1, PP/SH= +1, GWG= +2, Shootout G=1, HT= +1
    D-Men/Captain: G=3/A=2
    Goalies: W=3, OTL=1, SO= +2, SV= .10

Start = 13F, 6D, 2G / Keep 44 (3G)
    Captain: Matthews
    (F): MacKinnon, Pasta, Marner, Rantanen, Malkin, Barkov, M.Tkachuk, W.Nylander, Pettersson, Gaudreau, Laine, Keller, Miller, B.Tkachuk, Stutzle, DeBrincat, L.Raymond, K.Johnson, Cozens, Quinn, Guenther, Kulich, Cooley
    (D): Makar, Dahlin, Q.Hughes, Ekblad, Rielly, Werenski, Letang, Jones, Chychrun,
    Seider, Edvinsson, Jiricek, Korchinski, Mintyukov, Ceulemans, Hutson
    (G): Shesterkin, Demko, Vejmelka

Dobber Sports Stud

regarding the actual trade, i would do it. i think kane's upside is worth trading down from 17 to 28, no matter how big the drop off is. we're not talking about dropping from 4 to 15, the higher pick is only 17.
    that aside, based on my list for this year's draft, from a fantasy perspective, i see a pretty big dropoff directly after 15th overall. every fantasy league is different, and puts more emphasis on different positions and categories, but in general, let's say number 15 is evgeny svechnikov, who could very easily wind up as an elite scorer. after that, there are really good dmen like chabot, roy and zboril, and a bunch of forwards, some with more potential but higher risk (like daniel sprong) and some with less potential but safer picks. among those dmen and all the forwards, imo there really isn't much difference between 17 and 28. i owned the 22nd pick in my draft, and was more than happy to trade it (now, i did use it to get mcdavid, so obviously i'm happy about it, but would have traded it nonetheless!) because i can get a very similar player with my 3rd round pick at 34th overall. guys like sprong, boeser, merkley, bittner, eriksson, debrusk, white, bracco, roslovic, beauvillier are all very evenly matched in my book. there's also jansen harkins, who will definitely be a first round pick, but he strikes me as one of those really good third line centers. but in some leagues that's also very valuable. the wildcard for me is denis guryanov. i think he falls due to the russian factor, especially this year, with so much high-level talent, there are so many safe guarantees to not take a chance on a russian in the first round, but he could easily still be there in your draft at 28, and you could be looking at the next kuznetsov or kucherov. he has top 10 talent according to many.