Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: 2015 mock drafts

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Default Re: 2015 mock drafts

I don't know enough about all the draft eligibles (yet) to go all that deep, but a couple thoughts.

I can't see Arizona taking anyone but Strome. His size over Marner in that division gives him the edge I think. Height and size definitely isn't the same thing. Crosby is only 5'11, but he's 225. That is a beefy player. I also can't see Arizona trading down with the Leafs, unless they have Marner and Strome rated equal. I personally think they will have Strome ahead, so I don't think they trade down.

Don't think the Leafs would take Hanifin at 4. I think they will go with a forward, Marner.

Carolina at 5 is a wildcard. Wouldn't be surprised with any of Rantanen, Crouse, or Hanifin. Lean Hanifin to have a stud top US pair of him and Faulk.

NJ at 6 depends on Carolina at 5. If Crouse is there, I don't see NJ passing. If he's not, they will take Hanifin.

Philly probably will take the last of those three. I wouldn't be surprised to see Hanifin fall to them. Either way, I think this pick comes down to Rantanen or Hanifin. Don't see any way Crouse falls past NJ, he's the "safe/responsible" kind of player that Lou loves.

CBJ as a team are in the best shape. They will take BPA. at this point I would say that falls to Provorov.

San Jose needs help on D a lot more than forward, although they have needs everywhere. I think they take Werenski. If CBJ takes Werenski, than Provorov.

Colorado has a desperate need at D. I think they take Kylington here. I'll admit I don't know enough about the D porspects at this point to project though. I think it will be one of Carlsson, Larsson, Kylington, or Zboril

Florida probably takes Zacha or Barzal. Whichever they like more. Could see them taking one of the D listed above though.

Dallas will definitely go forward. Whichever of Zacha or Barzal are left.

LA and Boston are tough. Probably will come down to Meier and Connor for these two. That's making the assumption that Zacha and Barzal are both taken.

Dobber Sports Wizard

I think Dallas is in a position where they go best player available. Yeah they are pretty deep in the system on defense, but couple that with Nill's often stated belief that a team can never have too many D and if the right defenseman is there the Stars pull the trigger. That said I think they go forward, but once again, the best forward available regardless of position. I don't think Nill is feeling a particular need to draft a specific position and could go in any direction.

I like where the Stars are at given that we have have flexibility to pursue the best available and not be tied to chasing a particular position.
    Your beer mug isn't half-empty, your just half-way to the next refill.....

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by NoWayOut View Post
    I think Dallas is in a position where they go best player available. Yeah they are pretty deep in the system on defense, but couple that with Nill's often stated belief that a team can never have too many D and if the right defenseman is there the Stars pull the trigger. That said I think they go forward, but once again, the best forward available regardless of position. I don't think Nill is feeling a particular need to draft a specific position and could go in any direction.

I like where the Stars are at given that we have have flexibility to pursue the best available and not be tied to chasing a particular position.
    I agree, although I think at that spot Zacha/Barzal will be the BPA

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by rataylor22 View Post
    I agree, although I think at that spot Zacha/Barzal will be the BPA
    I kind of wonder if they go Barzal if both are still on the board. I base that on what I've read of potential red flags on Zacha's character/discipline. Seguin as much as I and other Stars fans love him on ice impresses me as the type that would be a handful off the ice. Nill likewise doesn't impress me as the type who's going to want many distractions from within, so maybe those supposed issues with Zacha steer him towards Barzal, Meier, or Connor. I'd be inclined to roll the dice on Zacha if he's still there.
    Your beer mug isn't half-empty, your just half-way to the next refill.....

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

I love how so many leafs fans are trying to fix this so Strome falls to 4. Not gonna happen. If they trade Kessel they'll pick Marner, or if they trade Phaneuf they'll pick Hanifin.
    10 team pts-only keeper league - keep 10 plus 10 from past/present farm. No bench: entire active roster counts. Goalies: 2 pts/win + 3/shutout. 82 adds / year. NHL playoffs count for separate prize.

F: J Eichel, M Tkachuk, J Guentzel, E Pettersson, P Laine, R Thomas, C Kreider, M Boldy, J Kyrou, M Backlund, F Vatrano, N Niederreiter, R Rakell, M Marchment, M Domi
    D: A Fox, S Theodore, R Andersson, B Montour, S Durzi, D Keith
    G: F Andersen, S Knight, J Swayman
    IR: J Hughes, M Stone, M Grzelcyk, S Perunovich
    Farm: L Raymond, O Wahlstrom, S Skinner, C Addison, Y Chinakhov, J Perreault

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Can't see Arizona passing on Strome to take Hanafin when they have Ekmann-Larsson. Also can't see them taking a smaller Marner over a centreman with a 6'3 frame when the Coyotes currently have the likes of Hanzal, Gagner and Arcobello. Not terribly impressive up the middle and to compete in the West, it's almost fact that a big(ger) pivot is needed who can make plays.

1. EDM - McDavid
    2. BUF - Eichel
    3. ARZ - Strome
    4. TOR - Marner
    5. CAR - Hanafin
    6. NJ - Rantanen
    7. PHI - Crouse
    8. CLB - Barzal
    9. SJ - Provorov
    10. COL - Zacha

Dobber Sports Initiate

I have a feeling we might see some jockeying for position in this year's 1st round; teams trading up/down to get guys they have a preference for.

Dobber Sports All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by petegreg21 View Post
    This is what I was thinking. Maybe AZ wants to keep Domi and Marner together for a while longer
    Good point.

Dobber Sports Expert

For the Panthers this will be best forward available. Depends if this will be Barzal, Zacha or Meier. Small chance for Konecy IMO.
    Commish of UNFFHL, dangered species being the sole Panthers fan on Dobber.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

1.EDM - McDavid
    2.BUF - Eichel
    3.ARI - Strome
    4.TOR - Marner
    5.CAR - Hanifin
    6. NJ - Barzal (who they should take)
    7. PHI - Crouse
    8. CBJ - Provorov
    9. SJ - Zacha
    10.COL - Werenski
    11.FLA - Rantanen
    12.DAL - Meier
    13.LAK - Connor
    14.BOS - Konecny

Dobber Sports Initiate

Quote Originally Posted by Dean Youngblood View Post
    1.EDM - McDavid
    2.BUF - Eichel
    3.ARI - Strome
    4.TOR - Marner
    5.CAR - Hanifin
    6. NJ - Barzal (who they should take)
    7. PHI - Crouse
    8. CBJ - Provorov
    9. SJ - Zacha
    10.COL - Werenski
    11.FLA - Rantanen
    12.DAL - Meier
    13.LAK - Connor
    14.BOS - Konecny
    FLA does like their Finns, I could see that happening.

Dobber Sports Wizard

We now know the order of picks between 1 and 26, so here's my updated mock draft (I also made a couple of changes to my earlier picks). I also added picks 27-30 but the order of those is not known yet; I selected order thinking Chicago and the Rangers advance to the Stanley Cup finals, and the Rangers win it all. Either way, at that point, the order doesn't even matter that much.

1. EDM - Connor McDavid, C
    Nothing to consider here; best prospect since Crosby, possibly even better than him.

2. BUF - Jack Eichel, C
    Another generational talent, will become a Top-20 center in the league.

3. ARZ - Noah Hanifin, D
    I personally think the Coytotes should take Strome here but Hanifin is a sure bet and their plan might be to tank for Matthews in 2016.

4. TOR - Dylan Strome, C
    Toronto finally gets the big #1 center they've needed for a very long time.

5. CAR - Mitch Marner, RW
    Marner adds lots of offensive talent, something the Hurricanes are missing right now. Will complement the Staal brothers very well.

6. NJ - Mathew Barzal, C
    The Devils need offensive talent and Barzal can deliver. He can become a #1 center or at worst a very good #2 center.

7. PHI - Lawson Crouse, LW
    Crouse may be ready to jump right into the NHL; great size, very good two-way game. Would be a nice fit on a line with Giroux and Voracek long-term.

8. CBJ - Ivan Provorov, D
    Provorov can become a #1 D-man for the Blue Jackets, and he may be ready to jump right into the NHL. Nothing flashy in his game but he can eat lots of minutes while playing a solid two-way game.

9. SJ - Pavel Zacha, C
    Zacha's upside is one of the best in the draft class; there are some question marks but the Sharks are willing to take that risk.

10. COL - Zach Werenski, D
    Perfect fit for the Avalanche; an offensive D-man with left-handed shot.

11. FLA - Mikko Rantanen, RW
    The Panthers need goal-scoring and they need wingers, so Rantanen is an obvious choice here. Can play with fellow Finn Barkov long-term.

12. DAL - Timo Meier, RW
    Meier can play pretty much anywhere in the Top-9; a versatile player who can complement star players well.

13. LAK - Kyle Connor, C
    Connor is a very good center who can also be converted to wing if needed. The Kings can take best player available here.

14. BOS - Travis Konecny, C
    Konecny might be small (5'10") but he doesn't play that way. He can be easily converted to Right Wing to play with Bergeron or Krejci.

15. CGY - Jakub Zboril, D
    Zboril brings size (6'2") and two-way game to Calgary blueline, and he also plays with an edge.

16. EDM (PIT) - Jeremy Roy, D
    If the Oilers decide to move on from Schultz, Roy is the perfect replacement for him. Could become one of the best offensive D-men in the league; the Oilers can easily take a high risk, high reward type of player with their second 1st round pick.

17. WPG - Evgeny Svechnikov, LW
    Svechnikov has great size (6'3") and excellent offensive skills. If he was born somewhere else than Russia, he could go much higher. The Jets can afford to take this risk because they have a good team already, and they also have two 1st round picks this year.

18. OTT - Paul Bittner, LW
    Bittner has excellent upside but he is a bit of a project right now. A 6'4" power forward who would fit in nicely with the Ottawa lineup.

19. DET - Oliver Kylington, D
    A year ago, Kylington was considered a possible Top-5 pick but his stock has fallen. The Red Wings are filled with great Swedish role models for Kylington, so they take their chances with him. Excellent upside if he can put it all together.

20. MIN - Thomas Chabot, D
    Chabot drops a little because he doesn't have that "wow" factor but he's a solid two-way D-man who can eat big minutes, so the Wild are happy to grab him when they can.

21. BUF (NYI) - Brandon Carlo, D
    After taking a center with their first pick, the Sabres select the 6'5" defensive D-man here. Add him to Bogosian, Ristolainen and Zadorov, and your blueline is looking pretty scary.

22. WSH - Daniel Sprong, RW
    The Capitals need more offensive talent in their Top-6, so they go with Sprong here. Sprong is also defensively responsible.

23. VAN - Brock Boeser, RW
    The Canucks also need more offensive talent in their Top-6, so they take Boeser. Boeser is kind of one-dimensional but goal-scoring is the thing he does best.

24. TOR (NSH) - Jansen Harkins, C
    After getting their #1 center with the first pick, the Maple Leafs take another center in Harkins. Harkins is a two-way center who is very good defensively, so he can be a decent #2 center or an excellent #3 center.

25. WPG (STL) - Jeremy Bracco, RW
    With their second 1st round pick, the Jets make a true home-run pick with Bracco. Bracco is very small (5'9") but his skill-set is likely Top-15 in this draft. Boom or bust type of prospect.

26. MON - Nicolas Roy, C
    A 6'4" power forward who plays good defensive game but also has some offensive upside. Has 2nd line upside but more likely becomes an excellent 3rd line center in the NHL.

27. PHI (TB) - Gabriel Carlsson, D
    Carlsson is a big (6'4") defensive D-man which is one of the things the Flyers need.

28. ANA - Colin White, C
    White is a strong two-way player who fits in nicely with the Anaheim system and could become a very good #3 center for the Ducks.

29. ARZ (CHI) - Nick Merkley, C
    Merkley is pretty small (5'10") but he has excellent playmaking skills, so the Coyotes are hoping he can overcome his size and become a very good #2 center in the NHL.

30. TB (NYR) - Joel Eriksson Ek, C
    Eriksson Ek has a very nice combination of size (6'2") and skills; the Lightning have very good prospect depth already, so they can be patient with him.

Dobber Sports Legend

My Top 10 predictions...

1. EDM - McDavid
    2. BUF - Eichel
    3. ARI - Hanifin
    4. TOR - Strome
    5. CAR - Marner
    6. NJ - Crouse
    7. PHI - Provorov
    8. CLB - Rantanen
    9. SJ - Werenski
    10. COL - Zacha
    8-GM / WK-H2H
    Forwards: G=2, A=1, PP/SH= +1, GWG= +2, Shootout G=1, HT= +1
    D-Men/Captain: G=3/A=2
    Goalies: W=3, OTL=1, SO= +2, SV= .10

Start = 13F, 6D, 2G / Keep 44 (3G)
    Captain: Matthews
    (F): MacKinnon, Pasta, Marner, Rantanen, Malkin, Barkov, M.Tkachuk, W.Nylander, Pettersson, Gaudreau, Laine, Keller, Miller, B.Tkachuk, Stutzle, DeBrincat, L.Raymond, K.Johnson, Cozens, Quinn, Guenther, Kulich, Cooley
    (D): Makar, Dahlin, Q.Hughes, Ekblad, Rielly, Werenski, Letang, Jones, Chychrun,
    Seider, Edvinsson, Jiricek, Korchinski, Mintyukov, Ceulemans, Hutson
    (G): Shesterkin, Demko, Vejmelka

Dobber Sports Deity

I'll give it a shot. This is not a fantasy mock.

1.EDM - McDavid
    2.BUF - Eichel
    3.ARI - Strome
    4.TOR - Hanifin
    5.CAR - Marner
    6. NJ - Barzal
    7. PHI - Zacha
    8. CBJ - Werenski
    9. SJ - Rantanen
    10.COL - Provorov
    11.FLA - Meier
    12.DAL - JRoy
    13.LAK - Chabot
    14.BOS - Svechnikov
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    I'll give it a shot. This is not a fantasy mock.

1.EDM - McDavid
    2.BUF - Eichel
    3.ARI - Strome
    4.TOR - Hanifin
    5.CAR - Marner
    6. NJ - Barzal
    7. PHI - Zacha
    8. CBJ - Werenski
    9. SJ - Rantanen
    10.COL - Provorov
    11.FLA - Meier
    12.DAL - JRoy