Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Strome or Marner

Dobber Sports Recruit

Default Strome or Marner

At 3rd overall, who should I take?

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Default Re: Strome or Marner

I think that Strome is the pick for a vast majority here. He seems to be ahead of Marner and Hanifin.

I...am your father.

Strome is the safer pick with the more certain high ceiling
    The Best Fantasy Hockey Site

15-Team Keeper, points only, best 12 fwd, 4 dman, 2 G count. Playoffs count.

F - T. Thompson, Thomas, Nylander, Tarasenko, Arvidsson, Guentzel, Fiala, Quinn, Mittelstadt, Hagel, Zacha, Roslovic, Berggren, Brink, Ostlund
    G - Kahkonen, Vejmelka, L. Thompson, Levi, Comrie
    D - Hronek, Morrissey, Lundkvist, Girard, Brannstrom, Rathbone, Hanifin, Severson, Durzi

Dobber Sports Initiate

I think he'll look good in Arizona. It may take a little while like his brother but he'll have more icetime earlier (good situation).
    17th season keeper league with salary cap,16 teams ,max 38 players per team,UFA/RFA system,contracts.
    Cats:fwd(1pt=1pt)top 6 count -Bratt/Hischier/Kakko/Hintz/Meier/W.Johnston/Mercer/Lafrénière/Perfetti/Zibanejad//Mercer/Holtz/Panarin/Kreider/
    D(G=2,A=1.5)top 4 count- A.Fox/Heiskanen/K.Miller/Hutson
    Goalies(save%,W,SO)top 2 count-Shesterkin/Oettinger
    plus 4 other cats: top powerfwd(Trocheck)
    setupman(J.Hughes),sniper(J.Robertson)rookie(M.Bou rque/G.Perreault/Stankoven)

Playoffs Champion 2009, 2010, 2018
    Reg.season Champion 2011-12,2012-13,2016-17,2017-18,2018-19,2022-23

Dobber Sports Deity

I have a feeling this is a question (and thread title) we will see often leading up to the draft.

My personal choice is Strome.

FYI, someone else asked this question in a different thread as well.

http://forums.dobbersports.com/showt...ghlight=marner
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Padawan

I'd even be tempted to take Strome before Eichel. That's how good I see him.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by Avangard View Post
    I'd even be tempted to take Strome before Eichel. That's how good I see him.
    or how poorly you see Eichel?

What do you see in Strome or Lacking in Eichel which is believed by the near unanimous alternative view of Eichel clear cut #2 and in that a tier above the rest himself?

Dobber Sports Guru

it's close, but Marner for me.

Dobber Sports Padawan

Quote Originally Posted by havanablast21 View Post
    or how poorly you see Eichel?

What do you see in Strome or Lacking in Eichel which is believed by the near unanimous alternative view of Eichel clear cut #2 and in that a tier above the rest himself?
    I'm tempted to think that the presence of Strome is making McDavid look better. Nothing against Eichel, but I didn't see any highlight reel plays that made me sitting at the tip of my chair.

The Great One

OFF TOPIC - but Quest for the cup (use google) did a nice series on London when Marner first went there and is a good watch

Dobber Sports Genius

Both players have a varied combination of big league skills and areas where improvement seems needed as well. Strome has the NHL size and strength and has a nice set of versatile offensive skills. He absolutely will be looking to improve his skating, particularly start up speed as this is his major drawback. Same was said of John Tavares. Marner is a great skater will awesome offensive talent and great creativity. Real small frame that needs growing and strengthening to be effective at the next level. But then again, Johnny Gaudreau you know?

My personal rankings have Strome ahead.

Dobber Sports Padawan

Quote Originally Posted by voodoo2 View Post
    OFF TOPIC - but Quest for the cup (use google) did a nice series on London when Marner first went there and is a good watch
    Thanks !

Dobber Sports Initiate

I have the 1/2/4/11/14/16 first rnd picks in the our upcoming draft, so I get to take whoever #3 doesn't, I'm torn on who will generate more points in the NHL...but have now recently began getting my tires kicked on the #4 pick, who does everyone compare Strome and Marner to in NHL now, IS Marner a MSL type in his prime, can Strome be a Benn ??
    Team in sig... I'm in full rebuild so time is not a factor.
    16 GMs with 15 Keepers, Pts only, Top 9F,4D,1G count
    2020 & 2013 UFHL Champion

McDavid/Draisatl/Scheifele/Malkin/Marchand/
    Hall/Voracek/Nugent-Hopkins/Bergeron/Giroux

Hedman/Hamilton/Doughty/Ellis/Nurse

Grubauer

Dobber Sports Guru

Quote Originally Posted by bizzy View Post
    I have the 1/2/4/11/14/16 first rnd picks in the our upcoming draft, so I get to take whoever #3 doesn't, I'm torn on who will generate more points in the NHL...but have now recently began getting my tires kicked on the #4 pick, who does everyone compare Strome and Marner to in NHL now, IS Marner a MSL type in his prime, can Strome be a Benn ??
    I'll take crack at this. Dsiclaimer: I'm comparing based on style, and not saying anything about point expectations.

Marner looks to me like a cross between Nugent-Hopkins and Pat Kane. Similar frame to RNH, which shouldn't be a problem as he gets into his mid-20s but is a small worry early in his career.

Strome... I'm not quite as comfortable with this one but Joe Thornton is a fit. Strome is not quite as big, a bit better of a skater, and has a touch more stick skill. That comp fits better than Benn, who is a much more truculent player.

by the way, this guy on youtube has been making shift-by-shift videos and they are great for getting a feel for guys. Here is Strome's: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=krAX-yI4CKY

Dobber Sports Monster

I actually think Marner and Strome have very similar upsides. I thought more people would say Marner. I could see Strome taking a more 2-way role whereas Marner is going to be a Patrick-Kane type.

12 team H2H Most Cats Wins; Keep 6/winner keeps 7; G A PPP +/- SHP SOG HIT BLK PIM // W SV GAA SV% SHO
    3 C, 3 LW, 3 RW, 6D, 2G, 5 bench

C - McDavid, Crosby, Tavares
    LW - DeBrincat
    RW - Meier, Miller
    D -
    G - Jarry