Feel free to join this little game...

Dobber Sports Deity

Default Re: Matt O'Connor derby

I'll say Edmonton but who really knows.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Wizard

Edmonton has been after him for a while now. I think MacTavish has met with him three times already. The Oilers want him badly.

Since teams are offering him NHL playing time this season, that pretty much rules out all playoff teams. Arizona could be a good destination. But my money's on Edmonton.

Is his NCAA postseason still ongoing? He can't sign before his season is over.

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

I'd like to see him go to Arizona. Great goalie coach, great core of young D-men to inflate his numbers and some real promising forward propects coming in very soon. Also, wouldn't have to deal with the insanity of a Canadian market and pressure.
    20 team H2H Fantrax Cap Dynasty
    2018/2018 Cap=90 mil
    G, A, +/-, PPP, SHP, PIM, SOG, FO%, HIT, BLK, TOI/G
    W, GAA, SV%, SV, SHO
    3C/LW/RW, 6D, 2Sk, 2G

C: Backstrom, Bergeron, Eichel
    L: Benn, Rakell, Coleman, Goldobin, Weal, B. McGinn
    R: Pavelski, Radulov, Panik, B. Tanev, D. Ryan
    D: Burns, Josi, Weber, Ellis, Manson, Forbort, Stecher, Weegar
    G: Talbot, Elliott
    Farm: Harkins, Hayden, Kampf, Highmore, Dickinson, Bjork, Motte, Foegele, Rychel, Kossila, Poturalski, Graves, Bear, Nielsen, Timmins, Ozhiganov, McKeown, Gillies, Boyle, Brossoit, Ellis, Rittich

Dobber Sports Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Jouko-Pouko View Post
    Edmonton has been after him for a while now. I think MacTavish has met with him three times already. The Oilers want him badly.

Since teams are offering him NHL playing time this season, that pretty much rules out all playoff teams. Arizona could be a good destination. But my money's on Edmonton.

Is his NCAA postseason still ongoing? He can't sign before his season is over
    I'd like to hear more about this tidbit. Any predictions on when he could sign? If teams are promising playing time this year, you have to think he'll sign as soon as offers come at him.

Dobber Sports Icon

Why is there so much fuss about him? In the game that I watched, he looked like a big, unathletic goalie who plays on a great team. He wasn't even one of the top 5 goalies in the NCAA this year as per the Mike Richter Award finalists. I think 3 of the 5 finalists for that award are also NHL free agents.

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by chuckcouples View Post
    Why is there so much fuss about him? In the game that I watched, he looked like a big, unathletic goalie who plays on a great team. He wasn't even one of the top 5 goalies in the NCAA this year as per the Mike Richter Award finalists. I think 3 of the 5 finalists for that award are also NHL free agents.
    Because of the potential. He's not a finished product yet, still very much developing. It was just his 3rd season at NCAA level and his 1st season as a true starting goalie.

Besides, the Mike Richter Award is not purely about hockey.
    Criteria for the Mike Richter Award:
    ♦ Candidates must display outstanding skills on the ice
    ♦ Candidates should be in good academic standing at an NCAA college or university
    ♦ Consideration should be given to academic achievement and sportsmanship
    ♦ Candidates must comply with all NCAA rules; be full-time students at an NCAA college or university; and complete 50 percentor more of the season
    ♦ Consideration should be given to the candidate’s activities in the community

Dobber Sports Expert

http://www.tsn.ca/dreger-report-team...onnor-1.215858

Dreger Report: Teams lining up for O'Connor

By Darren Dreger

Matt O'Connor, Getty Images

Darren DregerHockey Insider
    Follow|Archive

Fresh off winning the Beanpot tournament on Monday, Boston University goaltender Matt O'Connor has become a prime target for several NHL teams.
    Sources tell TSN that as of Monday, 14 NHL clubs have expressed interest in signing the 23-year-old college free agent and as many as five teams are promising NHL playing time this season if O'Connor chooses to sign at the end of his college season.
    Toronto, Ottawa, Edmonton, Vancouver and Calgary are all believed to be keenly interested in signing the the undrafted 6'5" goalie, while Buffalo and Phoenix are also considered to be contenders on the list of 14 as well.
    O'Connor has met individually with a number of teams and will continue to do so before making a final decision.
    O'Connor is scheduled to graduate this summer with a business degree.

Born Feb 14 1992 --
    Toronto, ONT

Dont count out the Leafs. He was a big fan growing up!!!!!

Saying that it will probably all come down to money and opportunity.

Dobber Sports Initiate

Is his NCAA postseason still ongoing? He can't sign before his season is over.
    BU is in the final 16 for NCAA championship as #1 seed in the Northeast. They play Yale in the Regionals on Friday 3/27 and if they advance would play again vs. Minn Duluth or Minnesota on Saturday 3/28. Semifinals would be on 4/9 and Championship on 4/11. http://www.ncaa.com/news/icehockey-m...ens-ice-hockey

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by maya has the knife View Post
    BU is in the final 16 for NCAA championship as #1 seed in the Northeast. They play Yale in the Regionals on Friday 3/27 and if they advance would play again vs. Minn Duluth or Minnesota on Saturday 3/28. Semifinals would be on 4/9 and Championship on 4/11. http://www.ncaa.com/news/icehockey-m...ens-ice-hockey
    Thanks for the information. I was too lazy to look it up myself.

Dobber Sports Padawan

Both games I saw he stumbled the puck on an easy play, and the second time that cost BU the championship.

I am far from impressed about him. If you asked me, I'd say he still has a long way to go before making noise, and his mental game seems a bit fragile.

Dobber Sports Titan

I see a Lindback 2.0 in him. On a good defensive team he can excel due to his size, or a solid goalie coach on a bad team can refine him enough to be an adequate NHL goalie. If he stumbles on his first NHL team, he’ll stick around for a while on someone’s roster. Either AHL or NHL (Backup) role. You can teach a goalie techniques, but you can’t teach someone to be 6’5”
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Banned

He'll be in Ottawa Sunday. Might never become anything but he's a free prospect and can start in the A at least

Dobber Sports Initiate

Since teams are offering him NHL playing time this season, that pretty much rules out all playoff teams.
    I guess he won't be getting any playing time this season after all... :P
    On a fantasy hockey break.

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by Potatoeman View Post
    I guess he won't be getting any playing time this season after all... :P
    Yes, that changed when his team made it to the NCAA final. He would have otherwise. Now it's a matter of finding the perfect team. These are the latest I could find about him:

‏@TSNBobMcKenzie
    Tough finish for BU G Matt O'Connor but he remains sought after UFA. Has visits scheduled with OTT, EDM, VAN. BUF and NYR likely to follow.
    @DarrenDreger
    Matt O'Connor to meet Sens in Ottawa on Sunday, Canucks in Van next Thurs, followed by Oilers next Sat in Edmtn. Other stops will be added.