Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Monahan has quietly put up 40 points

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Default Monahan has quietly put up 40 points

Sean Monahan scored against the ducks last night, giving him 20 goals and 40 points so far in 59 games this season.
    I've seen some interest in him, but it isn't as noticeable as a few of the other players from his draft class. I'm not saying he is a future top 10 scorer, but he leads his draft year in points this season:

Monahan, 59 GP / 40 Pts
    Mackinnon, 59 GP / 33 Pts
    E. Lindholm, 56 GP / 25 Pts
    Barkov, 46 GP / 19 Pts
    Drouin, 49 GP / 24 Pts
    Burakovsky, 44 GP / 21 Pts

Some other notables:

Galchenyuk, 57 GP / 36 Pts
    Huberdeau, 54 GP / 32 Pts
    Nyquist, 56 GP / 40 Pts
    RNH, 58 GP / 36 Pts

Obviously he isn't quite near the guys like Forsberg, Tarasenko, or arguably Gaudreau. But where should he be valued?
    His even strength on-ice team shooting is right around 8%, PDO is 1005. He sees tougher than normal minutes for a player his age, and only starts 29.7% of his shifts in the offensive zone compared to 42.5% defensive.

Monahan has as many points as Nyquist in only 3 more games played, while filling in far harder minutes. Nyquist plays against easier competition, with 38.5% offensive starts and 24.4% defensive starts. PDO and team shooting % are roughly the same at 7% and 1001.

If someone offered me Nyquist straight up for my Monahan, I would obviously accept. But I'm wondering why that is? Why is it that Monahan produces great numbers, but still fails in "value" to players like Huberdeau, Galchenyuk, Drouin, Nyquist, or Barkov?

Default Re: Monahan has quietly put up 40 points

Another interesting stat: if you don't include the first 8 games of the season, Monahan has 38 points in his last 51 games. Which is a 61 point pace full season.
    Last edited by Stringer; February 21, 2015 at 12:35 PM. Reason: typo

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Stringer View Post
    Another interesting stat: if you don't include the first 8 games of the season, Monahan has 38 points in his last 51 games. Which is a 61 point pace full season.
    Why are we excluding the first 8 games?

If we include the first 8 games, that gives him a 56 point pace. Which is really good.

Just sounds more impressive, and it also raises the question whether or not he should be considered a 60 point player.

Dobber Sports Padawan

Just sounds more impressive, and it also raises the question whether or not he should be considered a 60 point player.
    Then you could do that for every player. Every player goes through a stretch of games with very little to no points.
    20 Team Full Keeper (32 man Roster) Points only
    Start 12F 6D 1G

F- Skinner, Nyquist, Koivu, Carter,TJohnson, Kopitar, Tarasenko, Okposo, Williams, Kessel, Voracek, Wheeler, Galchenyuk, Lee

D-Vatanen, Bogosian, J Schultz, MacDonald, Demers, Muzzin, Stone, Edler

G- Halak, C.Anderson, Mason

Quote Originally Posted by Rustyrug View Post
    Then you could do that for every player. Every player goes through a stretch of games with very little to no points.
    Fine then. 56 point pace.

Dobber Sports Padawan

Fine then. 56 point pace.
    And like Big Ev mentioned, that is very good.

That will just improve in the future. He is the future in Calgary and I think will eventually become a consistent 70 pt player
    20 Team Full Keeper (32 man Roster) Points only
    Start 12F 6D 1G

F- Skinner, Nyquist, Koivu, Carter,TJohnson, Kopitar, Tarasenko, Okposo, Williams, Kessel, Voracek, Wheeler, Galchenyuk, Lee

D-Vatanen, Bogosian, J Schultz, MacDonald, Demers, Muzzin, Stone, Edler

G- Halak, C.Anderson, Mason

Quote Originally Posted by Rustyrug View Post
    And like Big Ev mentioned, that is very good.

That will just improve in the future. He is the future in Calgary and I think will eventually become a consistent 70 pt player
    So, do you mean he would rank somewhere in the Kopitar range?

Banned

I personally wouldn't trade him for any of Barkov, Huberdeau, Galchenyuk, Nyquist, Drouin, Lindholm. Other will differ because of "talent" and just because some of these guys are flashier players.

Interesting. I didn't think anybody here valued him so highly. Anybody care to give an opinion?

Dobber Sports Deity

He's definitely one of my favorite young players. I am still bitter that the Flames took him one spot before the Oilers could draft him.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Keep your eyes on him if the Flames make the playoffs, the only complaint I have about his all around game is a lack of physical play. If he gets into the playoffs and shows he can elevate to the level of play like he has every other time the coach has challenged him then watch out.
    18 Team Full Keeper Start 10F, 3D, 1 G, 1 Flex Skater, 3 ​JR

3 Points: SHO, 2 Points: G, SHG, SHA, W 1.5 Point: PPA 1 Point: A, PPG, GWG .5 Point; Star .25 Points: BLK, .1 Points: FOW, SOG, SV, .15 Points: HIT, -.05 Points: FOL, -.15 Points: GA

F:
    Johansen, JvR, Monahan, Kucherov, Tavares, Coyle, Pastrnak, Draisaitl, Rakell, Dadanov, Pacioretti, Gusev, Kaprizov, Tomasino, ​Greenway
    D: Theodore, Carlson, Josi, Valimaki, Hughes, K Miller, ​Grzelcyk
    G: Holtby, Gibson, Kahkonen

Quote Originally Posted by StuntsC View Post
    Keep your eyes on him if the Flames make the playoffs, the only complaint I have about his all around game is a lack of physical play. If he gets into the playoffs and shows he can elevate to the level of play like he has every other time the coach has challenged him then watch out.
    I don't doubt that he is an absolute stud in real life. But in fantasy, would you still consider him just as valuable as a player like Huberdeau or Galchenyuk?
    He was one of my keepers last season, with the hopes that he would score 60 points. I'm relatively satisfied so far, but is this about as much as we will see - or should we expect more production in future seasons?

Dobber Sports Icon

Monahan has as many points as Nyquist in only 3 more games played, while filling in far harder minutes. Nyquist plays against easier competition, with 38.5% offensive starts and 24.4% defensive starts. PDO and team shooting % are roughly the same at 7% and 1001.
    This statement, specifically the zone starts, is one of my biggest problems with advanced stats. Detroit has one line that takes defenxive zone faceoffs the majority of the time so any forward that isn't on that line will have a very high offensive zone start %. Nyquist does have the 3rd highest offensive zone start % of any Detroit forward but Monahan is the 7th highest for the Flames. Detroit has 7 forwards with more than 30 games played this season that have a higher offensive zone start percentage than ANY Calgary forward with as many games played. Comparing the zone starts for these two players does not reveal anything about their usage.

I'm asking because I almost never even hear his named mentioned around here - even in the ramblings. And he's only owned in like 38% of yahoo leagues, which really shows that not very many people even know about the guy.