Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Goodbye mister_mcgoo

Banned

Default Re: Goodbye mister_mcgoo

Quote Originally Posted by 2014olympicgold View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Vanek! at the Disco View Post
    Ah, OK that makes sense I guess. But man, you ruined my Friday afternoon, I was settling in to enjoy the show and now I've got to go do some actual work! A pox upon you vile beast!

Also, I would have liked to see Dobber respond to the rant like a man should when attacked in that fashion, much better than hiding in the skirts of his mods don't you think?
    Could just be me though, I love a good fight. Oh well, back to the grind

The less he talks and comments on it, the faster it dies I guess is the thinking. If the answer and reasoning was just I think an explaination for the ban would end this right now. but if it was more arbitrary and “we’ve had enough of this one users antics”, it may just stir the pot too much.

Just how I think Dobber is thinking.
    Yeah but that's the thing, the reasoning sounds like a pile of bullshit from where I'm sitting. You get banned for something you have on your own blog? How, wha, huh? Like I said, what's next, are they going to start monitoring people's Facebook accounts and banning them if they post anything objectionable over there? Seems pretty damn weak to me.

I thought he was really entertaining, definitely abrasive and angry but always entertaining. He's also given me some great hockey advice that helped me in my leagues. One time he went back and forth with me on PM for 4 days helping me hammer out a big trade and for that I'll raise a pint to him today at happy hour.

Dobber Sports Stud

whats mcgoos website..... now im interested....lol
    16 Team Dynasty Weekly H2H Fantrax (starters in bold)

G A P +/- PIM SOG PPP H+B FOW --- W SV SV% GAA SO

(C) Krejci, Spezza, Koivo, Statsny Faksa
    (LW) Zetterberg, Duclair, Ehlers, M Domi Belesky, M Martin
    (RW) Pastrnak, Oshie, Larkin, Toffoli S Reinhart, Brouwer
    (D) J Honka, Seabrook, Goligoski, D DeKeyser, Vatanen, Parayko L Schenn, S Johns
    (G) Ward, Lack

Prospects- W Nylander, C Dvorak, I Barbashev, C White, T Rattie, M Dal Colle, A Mantha, R Barber, L Crouse, M Barzal, C Keller, L Brown, C Fischer, B Point, J Forsbacka-Karlsson

Dobber Sports Stud

I've never consulted the infraction policy --never really had to.

That said, and regardless of what the infraction policy might say, I very stronly believe that, notwithstanding their abrasive and over-the top tone, Dakkster's posts in this thread were pertinent and contained valuable information and that they should not have been deleted.

If the rules say that these posts must be deleted, then there is something wrong with the rules, IMHO.

Dobber Sports Grand Master

I also am sad I missed Dakkster's rant.

As for mcgoo, one day we would completely agree and the next we hated each other. Was indifferent on it. But if he actually was banned because his avatar had his blog website on it, that is hella weak, regardless of what was written in his blog.

Dobber Sports Wizard

Never had the odd pleasure of being on m_m's bad side, but he was solid when I bounced some fantasy trades his way. Beyond me, if so many have been disrespected and offended,then,he would have needed to be let go. It I very difficult to keep the "peace" among so many if you have enough people who rock the boat.

As others have stated, he'll likely return under a different handle and hopefully under a new leaf.
    League:Fantrax 18 Team Dynasty, H2H (4C, 8W, 6D, 1G)
    Cats:G, A, GWG, PPP, SHP, SOG, H+B, FOW, S, SV%, W, GAA

C: Backstrom,Giroux,MacKinnon,Seguin
    W:
    D.Brown,Hartnell,Hossa,P.Kane
    Kesler,Marleau,Perron,Zibanejad

D: Boyle,Del Zotto,Doughty,D.Hamilton,Hedman,Markov
    G: Rinne
    Bench: Braun,Comeau, Demers,DeHaan,Polak,Stempniak,Wingels --Fleury

Dobber Sports Genius

Dutch and now McGoo.....this is like watching Survivor Island. Whose torch will be extinguished next? Stay tuned for more on Dobber Island.

You're my boy Goo!!
    Hockey Pools? Too many to mention. Points only, salary cap and dynasty.

Dobber Sports Ace

wow, a lot of deleted posts coming through here.. boy did I miss some fireworks...
    Not THAT hairy, honest!

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by Shoeless View Post
    I learned by email last night that mister_mcgoo will no longer be with us. A lifetime ban apparently. I have nothing further to say about that - it is none of my business. It is what it is.

However, I do wish to share my personal experience with the person who had that user name.

Several years ago when I first let it be known on the forums that I was doing some development work in Cambodia with the poor, he (Scott), immediately reached out and said that he and his wife wanted to help financially - and they did. Moreover, they continued to generously support initiatives over here on a regularly basis to the point where they have now started a monthly subscription to support a project providing service to children with disabilities - they asked me to vet the project to be sure it was on the up and up.

Scott has additionally provided me with much needed consulting advice when I had an IT challenge on a project or campaign, giving willing of his time and going beyond the call in terms of trying to create even better solutions than I could imagine.

I use his NHL schedule tool on his website as I have found nothing better in that regard.

I will miss his insights into hockey from a fantasy perspective - one of the things he is, in that regard, is a critical thinker.

That is all.
    It's good to see that shoeless is the one that started this thread. If it was started by anyone else, guaranteed there would have been some type of backlash towards that forum member. I am among the many that have enormous respect for shoeless, and believe shoeless' intent was to acknowledge mcgoo's contributions in a positive way and stay classy by not speaking of the mods vs mcgoo war regardless of where he stands on it.

But let's not kid ourselves, shoeless is wise enough and has the foresight to know that starting this thread was going to lead to a variety of opinions on the matter. And that's a good thing, because there should be nothing wrong with the community having a conversation about mcgoo's ban. Obviously mcgoo was a polarizing character who is viewed in different ways by various members.

-Some folks felt his banter was downright obnoxious and abusive.
    -Some folks appreciated his insight but not the banter.
    -Some were indifferent.
    -Some found him entertaining.
    -Some appreciated the banter and insight, but occasionally he struck a nerve.
    -Some never had an issue at all.
    -Some were all or some of the above, depending on what day of the week it was!

I don't think linking an avatar/logo is reasonable in justifying a lifetime ban, so I guess it was more like the last straw after an accumulation of stuff.

But again, let's not kid ourselves, it's pretty obvious that the mods vs mcgoo/dutch/Dakk war was going to lead to lifetime bans for the three rebels. It was only a matter of time - and it was going to happen regardless of linked avatars, various infractions etc etc. It was in'ev'itable. Right or wrong - like shoeless said, it's not my place. I'm not sure how many members actually complained about mcgoo over the years, some posts in this thread indicate some are happy he is gone and even chose this thread as a way to bash him even when he can't respond.

But in this thread, it appears that quite a few appreciated his presence despite the ''banter". I can understand the logic in the ban, but forums need polarizing figures, it's healthy. Like Chuk, I was pretty entertained by mcgoo and got a good chuckle when he went head to head with some folks. It's too bad he won't be around anymore - 19,000+ posts is pretty impressive when you break it down.

Dobber Sports Master

McGoo's solid hockey advice will be missed, but some of the silly, asinine arguments over what was an insult and what wasn't got old. Personally, when he, or anyone for that matter, starting yammering on about that stuff, I tried taking it with a grain of salt.
    The lifetime ban seems harsh, but we are talking about a member who seems to have had other shorter bans, and they didn't work to curb his disdain for the mods and Dobber who do their best to provide us, the fantasy hockey fans, with insight and info we all are here for in the first place.

PS: Love Call of Doughty's reference to "Old School". "You're my boy, Blue."

Bottleneckers (12/16 in 2022)
    16 team, points only. G: 2-W, 4-SO.
    Top 9F, 4D & 1G . Keep 15, Max 23
    F: J. Robertson, J. Hughes, Tavares, Lafreniere, Cozens, Newhook, Teravainen, Domi, R. Strome, Laine, Rossi, Raymond, Holtz, Perfetti
    D: Bouchard, McAvoy, Morrissey, Heiskanen
    G: Vasilevskiy

Dobber Sports Pro

Disappointing news. Always liked Mcgoo, never had a negative run-in with him, had plenty of positive. Some people are overly sensitive.
    I dont know the whole story so I cant really comment beyond saying I disagree with almost any banning of longtime members. You'd have to do something despicable to warrant that.

p.s There's a few pots calling the kettle black in here.
    10 Team Roto Keeper League; 20 Keepers;
    Stats: G,A,Pts,ppg,ppa,pims,+/- ; W,sv%,svs
    C: Seguin, Panarin, Carter
    LW: Benn, Hall, Buchnevich, Coyle, Zucker
    RW: Kane, Simmonds, Stone, Nino, Gallagher
    D: Subban, Doughty, Byfuglien, Jones, Mcdonagh, Fowler
    G: Price, Holtby, Halak, Reimer

Dobber Sports Icon

Dutch, McGoo, Dakkster and Shoeless now all gone over the last month. 62,752 posts combined since 2007?

It's sad... just plain sad.

Dobber/Bomm, I've spoke to you both in private but it has obviously fallen on deaf ears. Please please please stop with the heavy-handedness and overmoderation. There is no need to delete as many of the posts as you have been. People can voice their concerns in a respectful manner publicly and you can take it as constructive criticism. There is no need to delete the posts unless they are outright insulting/attacking you (yes, sometimes that has been the case).

And for the record, if this post gets deleted, you can chalk up another 3600 posts that you will lose. I know it's nowhere near the level of the other guys, but I'm sure I'm not the only one who is ready to call it a day on here due to these issues.
    Without me, it's only "aweso".

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by Excelsior View Post
    Is this the same Mister McGoo that people ( including many senior posters ) were congratulating a few days ago for passing 19K posts and his contributions to the forum?

2014olympicgold, I don't know you or him but it seems a bit unfair for someone who's been a member for less than a year to generalize in your characterization of someone who has been on these boards for 6 years and contributed 19K posts. He must have contributed a lot of positives to have lasted that long.

Bondon, your comments sound a bit judgemental as well.

I know he ruffled a lot of feathers lately with the whole deleted posts argument, but from the sounds of it even his distractors seemed to value his fantasy hockey input. I'm not sure what one has to do to receive a lifetime ban.

Seriuos question 2014olympicgold- how do you know he's had 5 bans since you joined last Feb. Is that posted some where, is there a list or something?
    +1 to this.

Ev, I read enough in the first thread to decide you and those like you are the epitome of what's wrong with this forum now.

Haven't been as active in the forums in recent years, but mcgoo, lanky, and shoeless were the best and most insightful members I had interactions with on the boards over the years.

Truly an end if an era, not in a good way at all.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Quote Originally Posted by 4T2 View Post
    Dutch, McGoo, Dakkster and Shoeless now all gone over the last month. 62,752 posts combined since 2007?

It's sad... just plain sad.

Dobber/Bomm, I've spoke to you both in private but it has obviously fallen on deaf ears. Please please please stop with the heavy-handedness and overmoderation. There is no need to delete as many of the posts as you have been. People can voice their concerns in a respectful manner publicly and you can take it as constructive criticism. There is no need to delete the posts unless they are outright insulting/attacking you (yes, sometimes that has been the case).

And for the record, if this post gets deleted, you can chalk up another 3600 posts that you will lose. I know it's nowhere near the level of the other guys, but I'm sure I'm not the only one who is ready to call it a day on here due to these issues.
    It is more than just sad 4T2, it is shameful is what it is. This pattern of behavior happens in all walks of life, you give anyone too much power and pretty soon they become incapable of not abusing it. I firmly contend that had they not eployed such an awful deathgrip approach to everything over the last few months these fine contributors would not have been lost forever. My grandad used to say that you should never point the finger because youre pointing 3 fingers back at yourself, that's a lesson that Dobbers team needs to learn

Enough if all this, it is time for me to mosey on down to road to something better, I wish you all the best gentlemen, it was fun while it lasted.
    Death smiles at us all. All a man can do is smile back.

16 Team Keeper Keep 10, start 15 (3C-3LW-3RW-4D-2G)
    G, A, +/-, PIM, PPP, SHP, W, SO, GAA, S%

C: Duchene, Giroux, Richards B
    LW: Kessel, Vanek, Marchand
    RW: Perry, Nyqvist, Voraeck
    D: Weber, Wisneiwsky,Phaneuf,Josi,McDonough
    G: Varlamov, Bobrovsky
    BN: Lecavalier, Palat, Bonino

Dobber Sports Giant

your insight will be missed.
    10 team Full Keeper Roto League
    4C-4LW-4RW-6D-2G-5bench-unlimited farm.

C= eichel,horvat,malkin,kuznetsov
    LW= forsberg,kreider,lee,b.tkchuch,hertle,granlund
    RW= reinhart,radulov,hoffman,laine,hayes
    D= doughty,ghostebehere,karlsson,jones,klefbom,dahlin ,skjei
    G= price,murray,grubauer,georgiev,ullmark,samsonov

under250gp=nichushkin,tuch,mathesson,marino,pujuja rvi,hosang,terry,andersson,j.hughes,patrik,crouse, zadina,podkolzin,k.miller,nedeljkovic,kravtsov,hay ton

--G,A,P,PPP,SHP,GWG,PIMS,+/-,SOG,hits,FOW,blks-Wins,GAA,SV%,saves,SO

Dobber Sports All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by maximumass View Post
    It is more than just sad 4T2, it is shameful is what it is. This pattern of behavior happens in all walks of life, you give anyone too much power and pretty soon they become incapable of not abusing it. I firmly contend that had they not eployed such an awful deathgrip approach to everything over the last few months these fine contributors would not have been lost forever. My grandad used to say that you should never point the finger because youre pointing 3 fingers back at yourself, that's a lesson that Dobbers team needs to learn

Enough if all this, it is time for me to mosey on down to road to something better, I wish you all the best gentlemen, it was fun while it lasted.
    Really? Dobber and his moderators, Bomm especially, have been nothing less than gracious through all this. They have sincerely apologized for their mistakes, which is something Mcgoo could never do, and he made many of them. Yes, Mcgoo was very knowledgeable and insightful but, he could also be very rude and arrogant and would constantly resort to name calling, which is probably why he received so many warnings.
    You say that giving someone too much power and pretty soon they become incapable of not abusing it? How about giving them the benefit of the doubt because they're in a position in which they can't win. These guys are moderators because of their level headedness, integrity and fairness and have kept the site respectful and comfortable for everyone.