Thread: The Leafs don't need a rebuild ...

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Default The Leafs don't need a rebuild ...

...join me in my attempt to raise the discourse surrounding the team to a somewhat more sensible level?

http://thehockeywriters.com/leafs-fa...ly-be-excited/

Dobber Sports All-Star

Default Re: The Leafs don't need a rebuild ...

I agree. These guys have proven that they can beat anyone at anytime. They have a solid forward core beginning with Kessel, JVR, Kadri and Bozak, who can put up points and are relatively young. I still believe in Clarkson, and Santorelli has fit in just nicely. Unfortunately, Lupul can't stay healthy and Komorov had some bad luck with a concussion. They are quite solid in net with Bernier and Reimer. I truly believe they need to remove the 'C' from Phaneuf. I am convinced that he is not captain material and it may take the pressure off because he has been good in the past. Franson has been quite solid and holds his own. Polak and Robidas have been decent enough. If only Gardiner and Rielly would show some of their potential. All that is needed is a coach that can get through to these guys and make believers out of them. Lets not count on Babcock. I don't see him coming here. Its really too bad that ownership didn't give Burke a couple more years to finish what he started.

Dobber Sports Titan

Happens to Burke almost every time. Starts a rebuild and brings in Key players, gets fired. Only difference between Burke’s Toronto team and Burke’s Flames team has been the coach.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by eyemissgilmour View Post
    Sorry, I don't agree with this sentiment at all. I'm in the "tear it down" camp.

Look, this core has had several years to prove something, and they've failed time after time after time, with some spectacular "18 wheeler of a cliff" moments.
    The only time they've shown an ability to beat anybody is when Bernier (or Reimer in the lockout year) has stood on his head.
    Otherwise, they are somewhere between a poor and mediocre team and the fans deserve better. This is indisputable.

They've been one of the worst possession teams in hockey since Wilson was the coach. They've been winning because of goaltending and special teams.
    Unsustainable. Flawed. Lipstick on a pig.
    Whatever you want to call it.

Have some guts, Shanny. Blow it up and build it up right. Fans have waited for decades.

(interesting tweet, which beautifully summarizes the incompetence of Dave Nonis...)
    James Mirtle ‏@mirtle 59m59 minutes ago
    MacArthur-Grabovski-Kulemin easily the best even strength line the Leafs have had since I covered the team. They got nothing for all three.
    Couldn't agree more. Fired coaches, Burke and brought in Shanahan...same results. At some point you have to realize that the players are the constant in this mess, that and the culture around the team. That's what needs to change. I'm not saying tear it completely down but enough with the complacency and incompetence.

I'm tired of being just good enough to almost make the playoffs and not quite bad enough to get a good draft pick.
    Excelsior~ Ever Higher

Dear Mr. Fantasy play us a tune
    Something to make us all happy
    Do anything, take us out of this gloom
    Sing a song, play guitar, make it snappy~ Traffic

Banned

Have some guts, Shanny. Blow it up and build it up right. Fans have waited for decades.
    I couldn't agree more but can you honestly see them doing anything that potentially jeopardizes their bottom line? That's the core problem IMO, as long as they treat it purely like a business it will never change. But in an ideal world they should just do what we do in our fantasy leagues when our team is mired in mediocrity, put everyone on the trade block and see who you can move for picks, prospects and character guys.

Administrator

A rebuild does not help if management ultimately continues to make bad decisions all over the place. It's more than just blowing it up. They have to start doing things better from top to bottom.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Administrator

I suspect that's ultimately why Mark Hunter was brought in. He and Dubas will be running things next year, with Shanny having the final say on everything.
    Whether or not that works... seeing is believing.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Banned

Fair point, but there's a reasonable business argument to make here too.
    If Shanny can sell them on (short term) profit loss, via blowup and bottoming out, in order to achieve greater (long term) profit gain via perennial playoff revenue, that's the key. If he can't sell that to the board, then you're absolutely right. They're screwed. They'll keep trying the bandaid route.

I don't think Burke really tried to sell that concept to the board. That was one of his biggest mistakes. I'm a Burke fan, I miss the guy, but there's no denying he let his ego get the best of him when he proudly announced he would do a fast track rebuild.
    And there's no denying, he failed with that master plan.
    Fortunately he didn't fail with bumbling idiocy like Nonis, but he failed nonetheless.
    Is there though? No matter how bad the team sucks they still sell all those seats don't they? They still sell all that merch too and all those concessions and all the related marketing and advertising that goes along with it. What does winning matter when you're raking in dough? I think it's actually pretty low down their list of priorities at MLSE