Thread: Opportunity to acquire MacKinnon (costly!)

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Default Opportunity to acquire MacKinnon (costly!)

Here's what the owner of MacKinnon just recently offered me:
    Markov, Khudobin, and MacKinnon
    for my
    Stepan, Franson, Dan Boyle and Kuemper

I'd be giving up a ton to get MacKinnon. The biggest piece I see moving is Kuemper. As much as I've complained about him on here with the Wild moving Harding down to the AHL, he's Minny's goalie for now and the future. That being said, I've been looking to move a goalie as I have Rask, Rinne and Gibson (+ Halak got dumped and I scooped him up). Is this a decent deal?

Another note: I am currently icing a roster with one extra skater because I stashed a few guys on IR and haven't moved them since they've gotten healthy. So, yahoo might not "allow" me to make this move. That being said, trades are accepted/rejected by the commish so I might be able to ask him to manually make it happen.

Our keeper league is not a true keeper (see signature)...

Thoughts? Feedback appreciated!!!
    10 team "Keeper-ish" League
    Keep players for 2 yrs. (yrs left in brackets)
    If we trade, we keep new players for this season +2 add. yrs after this season ends. Any 2+ = obtained thru trade this season.

C- Crosby (2+), Malkin (2+, RW) Steen (2+, LW), RNH (2)
    LW- Staal (2, C) Tatar (2) Vanek (2+, RW), Kunitz (2+)
    RW- Voracek (2) Vrbata (2+) Kesler (2+, C)
    D- Phaneuf (2) Subban (2+) Yandle (2+), Vatanen (2), Klingberg (2)

G- Rask (1), Rinne (2), Gibson (2)

Kunitz & Staal (had to drop), Brodie & MacKinnon (had to drop- crappy!)

H-2-H League
    3 Cs 3LWs 3RWs 4D 2G
    5 Bench
    G A +/- PPP SHG GWG SOG PIM HITS W Saves SV% GAA SO

Dobber Sports Sage

Default Re: Opportunity to acquire MacKinnon (costly!)

Try to boil this down more to the essence of what you want. His offer is loading you up with the dregs of his deep bench and you are giving up too much. Why even go after Mack if you can only keep people for another 2 years? He will be off your roster before he fully blossoms, most likely.

If you insist on making this play, counter with Halak in place of Kuemper. And you don't want either Markov or Khudobin so don't pay him for them. My idea might be to counter-offer him Stepan, Boyle and Halak for MacK. IF he needs to drop some people that's his problem and you don't want to be giving any actual value for the slapdicks off the bottom of his bench, who you will be dropping anyway. I am sure there are other variations that could be invented, this is off the top of the head.

Dobber Sports Stud

This is a great deal for you. MacKinnon's value is at his lowest right now.
    Kuemper is a good goalie, but hasn't proven he can sustain it over a full season yet. Plus you've got an A+ tandem in Rask and Rinne.
    You don't give any important piece of your core and you add a future stud to your squad.
    Don't overthink this!

EDIT: just saw your signature and the fact that you cannot keep a player more than 2 years... It makes it less appealing, but I still believe this trade is in your favour.
    Points-only keeper league. 12 teams. Keep any 12 players. Dress 12F - 6D - 2G.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Thanks to both of you for the feedback so far. Rufio- I like the offer a little bit as well- I think guys tend to hang onto their star/potential star players, so they're difficult to acquire. It kinda sucks to have to give up on him by his 4th year, but at least I can have him for this year (and all of the next two years). Plus, I'm playing down a RW right now, and could use some forward help.

I just counter-offered with a draft pick swap (my 4th for his 2nd)- and to Doug's point- an attempt to land the owner's keeper spot (you can trade the actual "keeper position", not just the players in our league).
    I feel like there are some decent players on the waiver wire, so while losing Franson will hurt in a hits league, and Stepan will likely have a great (contract!) year, maybe I can find some comparable value options (maybe not exactly the same) to replace them. Monahan and Bjuskstad (sp?) are available at C.... Been watching both for a while now...

Doug: I've also thought about Halak- and would prefer to trade him. I think Minny is an underrated, yet very solid team this year (and should be for years to come). If he declines my latest offer, I think I'll go that route next.

Thanks you two!
    If we trade, we keep new players for this season +2 add. yrs after this season ends. Any 2+ = obtained thru trade this season.

H-2-H League
    3 Cs 3LWs 3RWs 4D 2G
    5 Bench

Dobber Sports Monster

I'd do it. You aren't giving up any superstars, but you're potentially getting one back.

12 team H2H Most Cats Wins; Keep 6/winner keeps 7; G A PPP +/- SHP SOG HIT BLK PIM // W SV GAA SV% SHO
    3 C, 3 LW, 3 RW, 6D, 2G, 5 bench

C - McDavid, Crosby, Tavares
    LW - DeBrincat
    RW - Meier, Miller
    D -
    G - Jarry

Dobber Sports Star

DO IT!!!!
    20 Team Dynasty League - POINTS ONLY (Champion - 2017, 2016, 2015)

Goalie: W (3.5) SO (4) L (-1)
    Daily starts: 9 Fwd, 6 D, 1 Goalie

Guentzel Tkachuk Larkin
    Couture Palmieri Zucker
    Wilson Beauvillier Labanc
    Leivo Joseph Sprong

Barrie Morrissey Montour
    Butcher Murray Bayreuther

Fleury
    Domingue

Dobber Sports Pro

I would do this deal. You get the best player (by far) and a potential star without giving up any big name player. Kuemper is not a sure thing nor would I be surprised if Minny makes a move for a true #1 with their solid team.

With only two keepers it makes it a little less appealing but still a definite win for you.
    WHL - World Hockey League (24-Team Daily H2H) Est. 2015

Vancouver Voodoo
    C: Scheifele, Sedin, Stastny, Zetterberg
    LW: Panarin, Landeskog,
    RW: P. Kane, , Meier, Mantha, Anderson, Coyle, Hansen
    D: Carlson, Faulk, Hamilton, Trouba, Goligoski, Matheson
    G: Andersen, Mason
    Minors: Demko, Virtanen, Walman, Benson, Gourde, Boqvist, Glass, Foote, Claesson, Gaudette

12 team, keep 15 H2H Weekly
    Crosby, Malkin, Seguin, Kessel, Kucherov, Byfuglien, OEL, Klingberg, Holtby, Quick, Scheifele, Hellebuyck, Simmonds, Arvidsson, Schenn

https://image.ibb.co/k3o8Sa/dobber_banner_sig.jpg

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Thanks everyone. I countered with Kuemper, Stepan, Boyle, Franson and a 4th rd. pick for his MacKinnon, Markov, Khudobin + his 2nd rd. pick and his extra keeper position.

He declined, but UPDATE: he just accepted Halak, Stepan, Boyle & Franson for Mac, Markov & Khudobin.
    No draft picks, no keeper-spot. So, that's too bad. But, I did just get a potential superstar.

Halak is playing well and I think the Islanders are for real. But, I think over the year (and beyond), Minnesota will be the more consistent defensive team. The Isles are on a huge hot streak, so I feel good about selling now. I could be completely wrong and they'll continue to win, but whatever- I still have Rask and Rinne (and Kuemper!!!).

Thanks everyone. I really appreciate the feedback. If you think I got screwed, feel free to comment. If you feel I got a good trade, same thing! I always appreciate hearing the opinions on here.

H-2-H League
    3 Cs 3LWs 3RWs 4D 2G
    5 Bench

Dobber Sports Genius

Does he know Mac threw down 3 assists last night lol?? steal for you, easy yes I think. good job
    Hockey Pools? Too many to mention. Points only, salary cap and dynasty.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Thanks! btw, your stormtrooper just made me physically laugh out loud.
    I saw that Mac had 3 assists and was like, "crap... he's totally going to reject it now". But, he is in last place, so he probably felt like he needed to do something. With our league being a "hits-league" I'm going to have to find someone to replace Franson. But, even if this manager improves, he's quite far behind in the standings, so he'll need the help to get to the playoffs. Hopefully it works out decently well for both of us!

H-2-H League
    3 Cs 3LWs 3RWs 4D 2G
    5 Bench