Thread: $$$ Leagues - Prize Money Distribution

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Default $$$ Leagues - Prize Money Distribution

Working on the 2nd year of a 3 year plan to develop a highly competitive Cap League on Fantrax, H2H Points, full keeper, 12 Teams, 28 roster, 28 Minors (climbing 4/yr to eventually get to 48 Minors with 80 game max).

I am subsidizing the whole package. This year has been going quite well, encouraged by active GMs and reasonably close point spreads.

The original objective was to develop the league so that the competition was close and that paying into the League would provide a good chance of winning good money.

I am thinking of springing for prize money, from my pocket, as early as this year. I am looking at distributing interesting payouts.

What are the payouts that relatively big payout Money Leagues use, and I am specifically looking for payouts that have provided a good incentive to stick around in keeper leagues.

Appreciate any good ideas that have been used successfully.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Default Re: $$$ Leagues - Prize Money Distribution

Alright, let's try a different angle.

For those that play in money Leagues, what works best?
    Many prizes spread out to include the bottom teams? Big championship payout with a little left over for 2nd and 3rd? Consolation round prizes? President Cup? Top scores?

Share some knowledge, guys.
    TEAM 1
    12 Team Dynasty, H2H, G, A, PPP, SOG, FOW, HITS, BLKS, PIM, GWG, ShG, W, SHO, GA, SV, ShL, OL
    3-6C, 3-6W, 6D, 8B, 2G, 20 farm, 3IR

C - Crosby-McDavid-Giroux-Kadri
    W - Ovechkin-Marchand-Lehkonen-Wheeler-E.Kane-Landeskog
    D - Jones-Schenn-Stone-Lindholm-Moser-Whitecloud
    G - Hellebuyck-Lindgren-Martin-Stalock

Full Keeper

Dobber Sports Superstar

My main cash league (pts only) has weekly payouts $10 (you can only win 1 week a month- 2nd gets the dough then etc), has a monthly payout $20 - $10 for 2nd. There is then prize money for 1-4 overall at end of year.
    Small weekly payouts keep everyone interested even guys at the bottom as they also once in a while have big weeks.
    Piranha Hockey League est 1990 - Oakley Doakley's - 16 teams
    Pts only W=2 OL=1 SO=3 Auction Draft

WHL - est 2016 Expansion - Glasgow Kiss - 24 teams
    25 pro players / 10 minor league players
    G,A,+/-,PPP,SOG,Hits,Blk,PIM,FOW, W,Sv,GA,SHO

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Thanks a bunch, great way of keeping a League alive!
    TEAM 1
    12 Team Dynasty, H2H, G, A, PPP, SOG, FOW, HITS, BLKS, PIM, GWG, ShG, W, SHO, GA, SV, ShL, OL

Full Keeper

Banned

A couple things you might want to consider (things that I've seen work pretty well)

-award both reg season and playoff success...sometimes a team might play a fantastic season and finish #1 overall but they get hit with brutal injuries in the last month and get knocked out of the playoffs, they should get some love for being the best team all year. Playoffs are the ultimate show-downs though, so much trash talking and agonizing over H2H playoff matachups so be sure to award those well too (we usually do top 2 or 3)
    -small rewards during the season are cool too...I'm in one league that gives $20-25 a month to the best team each month, not a lot but it keeps things competitive for all teams all season long.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Pretty good thoughts, also gives me range.

Keep 'em coming, all good. One can get bored with just the 1/2/3 playoff payoff.
    TEAM 1

Full Keeper

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Now heading into the 3rd season of the trial, and am back on the process of figuring cash out for the 2016 season. As a bonus this year, I am "donating" a $250 1st and a $100 2nd, playoff prizes. So we had a different GM win in the 2nd year, and there is plenty of evidence that a different GM will win this year, pretty tight team scenarios with the Cap.

That was my original intention, to have the option to play all players on your team while exploiting IRs, Minors, and the few remaining FAs lingering about. Brought on some highly active GMs and that triggered some pretty deep and wide trades that reflected good hockey sense. Time to re-evaluate the value of a very competitive league.

The above prizes reflect an equivalent $35 pay-in. Adding the following scenario, adds another $35, adding regular season prizes could pull us into the $100 a year pay-in.

Would GMs pay $100, kowing there was access to many prizes versus a few big prizes?

Quote Originally Posted by Magicstew View Post
    My main cash league (pts only) has weekly payouts $10 (you can only win 1 week a month- 2nd gets the dough then etc), has a monthly payout $20 - $10 for 2nd. There is then prize money for 1-4 overall at end of year.
    Small weekly payouts keep everyone interested even guys at the bottom as they also once in a while have big weeks.
    TEAM 1

Full Keeper

Dobber Sports Superstar

So you personally are paying all the cash for prizes, WHY? That seems really unfair and unnecessary to me, if you want to have a cash league with a buy-in and payout that's great but seems like it should be a buy-in from all GMs. Anyways, to answer your question, my league has 12 teams, and a $100 buy-in, we have 3 divisions (use ESPN). The $1200 is distributed as follows:

Regular Season Division Champs - $100
    Regular Season League Champ- $200 more ($300 total with division money)
    Playoffs 2nd Place - $200
    Playoffs Champ- $500

This is a good balance between having small prizes for a good regular season and then a decent chunk for the Playoffs Champ. I've seen some leagues that award all kinds of smaller prizes throughout the year ($10 here, $20 there). Personally I dislike the idea because what ends up happening is the big prizes (regular season champ, playoffs champ) get reduced, I'd rather have a few big payouts then a bunch of smaller ones. I'm not sure I'd get excited over a $10 prize for winning a week.

As far getting a group of competitive/motivated GMs I don't think money is enough to motivate an otherwise disinterested GM. I play fantasy hockey because it's fun, I enjoy competition, and I like to win. If you're looking for a competitive league it's way more important to get people who are internally motivated to win than simply people looking to score cash IMO. And while I think it's far too generous of you to "donate" $350 to the prize pool, by the same token that's about $10/week that's being won, if I was interested in money their are easier ways to earn $250 over 7 months.
    12 team H-2-H 1 year league, daily roster changes, 3 goalie start minimum/week
    2xC, 2xRW, 2xLW, 4xD, 3xUtil, 2xG, 5 Bench
    G, A, P, PIM, PPP, SHP, GWG, SOG, Hits, W, SV%, GAA, SVs
    C: C. Keller, C. Mittelstadt, B. Nelson, R. Strome,
    LW: K. Connor, B. Tkachuk, J. Gaudreau, J. Marchessault, E. Rodrigues, A. Lafreniere
    RW: K. Fiala, J. Bratt, T. Jeannot V. Arvidsson
    D: R. Josi, J. Trouba, E. Gustafsson,
    G: L. Thompson, F. Gustavsson, V. Vanecek
    NO IR

Dobber Sports Apprentice

All wise words, my hockey friend.

Quote Originally Posted by LawMan View Post
    So you personally are paying all the cash for prizes, WHY?
    Also paid for all Fantrax costs. Rewarding the fine group of GMs that made the League work from scratch, keeping me sane while living 6 weeks at a time in Arctic tents, yes tents, with a glimmer of WiFi. Some people might see it as buying friends, I call it paying forward for nightly entertainment that comes with the commitment, not just the commitment. Pretty passionate about my fantasy hockey, and loneliness = different bed every shift. Getting more personal enjoyment from this than paying $5 every crib game I lose.

Again, excellent disbursement of your ideas and thoughts. Very appreciated.
    TEAM 1

Full Keeper