So, this is more to get an opinion on things and see what the Dobber community has to say.

At a time like this in the season, already 2 weeks, what would be the best strategy?

Targeting an elite goalie that is currently slumping (Lundy or Rask)?
  • in this case, you'll still likely have to pay top dollar...but you'll at least be able to get one of them.
  • Are these goalies going to turn it around, or is this going to be a year where they don't perform well (e.g. Boston's D has taken a lot of damage lately)

Targeting a mid-level goalie, who is performing at expected levels (e.g. Holtby)?
  • Price won't be as high as the elite
  • Since goalies are a commodity, it might have to be an overpayment

Target a goalie who is performing better than expected, but will likely keep it up (e.g. Rinne)?
  • Going to cost top-assets due to "sell high" status
  • Would it still be worth it if he keeps it up?

Targeting a back up goalie off the wire and hope for spot starts (e.g. Allen, Svedberg...etc.)?
  • Might not get all of the starts you'd like (W takes a hit)
  • Still could be useful to own for other categories

Short term streaming from the wire (e.g. Emery or Darling)?
  • Get the starts you need, and dump them afterwards.

Let's take my league into consideration. I'm treating it like a 1 year league because we only have 2 keepers and they can't be players drafted in the first 2 rounds. That basically eliminates: Rask, Lundy, Quick, Bishop, and Price as keepers. The rest COULD be keepers, but I think I'd rather keep an elite skater unless one of my goalies ended in the top 5 G.

With this in mind, I think the best target would be to I would have trouble deciding who to target. If I were to land Rinne, (I guess Bobrovsky, Fleury, Niemi, and Crawford also apply) would likely be a keeper, so I would end up paying quite a bit for them. Likely, i would only keep Rinne out of the above.

However, considering my team, I think I'd be better off keeping someone like Coture and another skater (e.g. If I land Parise) over a goalie.

This leads me to think it'd be better to target a mid-level goalie performing at expected/below-expected levels, who will hopefully turn it around. The other possibility is targeting an elite goalie with a bunch of Sell-highs and hope the turn it around.

Alternatively, one could gamble on the wire, but that's always risky, especially with limited transactions (though we have 3 per week).

I'm curious to hear what you guys think.