Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: The Leafs and Eric Staal Rumours

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Default The Leafs and Eric Staal Rumours

Dobber Sports Deity

Default Re: The Leafs and Eric Staal Rumours

I actually agree with you. I am no Leafs fan but the price it would cost the Leafs, and the fact they would have to clear a lot of cap space to make this deal happen, doesn't make a lot of sense for the Leafs.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Administrator

Usually when you trade for someone else's overpaid player the results are not good.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Guru

This would not help the leafs, it seems as though Staal is starting to decline. Besides, didn't you hear we are going to get Stamkos once his contract is up so we don't need Staal

Banned

I wonder who orchestrates these rumors in Toronto? Is it a single troll or a bunch of random different ones? Or is it maybe a media-conglomerate of some kind who all get together in secret and decide what bullshit to make up next to sell more newspapers (or garner more clicks, whatever)

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

phaneuf + kadri for staal lololololololol

Banned

Leafs willing to pay 'enormous' price for him too...why does that not surprise me?

http://www.thescore.com/nhl/news/604859

I get the feeling that he would definitely make them a better team but that it would be at the price of the future that they are building (and doing at least OK at...certainly much better than they have historically I think most would agree?)

Dobber Sports Guru

I work with a guy who is a Leafs fan, and he believes this stuff all the time. A few months ago, he was talking about how in a couple of years, the Leafs would have Stamkos, Subban and Tavares on the Leafs, because they all want to play in Toronto. That talk stopped when Subban signed an eight-year deal.

The reason the media always bring it up is because Leafs fans eat it up.

Writer of the weekly Top 10 column.

12-team Keeper pool, straight points for forwards & dmen. Goalies get: 2 points per win, 3 per shutout, 1 point per assist & 1 point per shootout loss.

League champ in 2013, 2015, 2018, 2020 and 2022.

Top 8 forwards, 5 dmen and 2 goalies count.

We keep 15 players (any position) plus two rookies.

Forwards: Panarin, Ovechkin, Kopitar, Stamkos, Tuch, Rust, Marchessault, Pavelski, Miller, Bertuzzi, Stone, Kakko, Brown, Stankoven, Kovalenko
    Defence: Hedman, Fox, Matheson, Thrun, Jiricek
    Goalies: Kochetkov, Talbot, Vasilevskiy, Campbell, Schmid

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by newfcollins View Post
    I work with a guy who is a Leafs fan, and he believes this stuff all the time. A few months ago, he was talking about how in a couple of years, the Leafs would have Stamkos, Subban and Tavares on the Leafs, because they all want to play in Toronto. That talk stopped when Subban signed an eight-year deal.

The reason the media always bring it up is because Leafs fans eat it up.
    I think part of it is that the team has been so bad for so long that it's a survival mechanism if you're a fan.

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Don't mean to be overly critical here or disrespectful, but I think a less-biased perspective is needed for these blogs/articles that are shared here.

For instance, "...Staal has been remarkably durable during his entire career, but he turns 30 this month and his recent injuries and age, along with his style of game, suggest he will be less durable and more likely to be injured going forward."

And then, "The Leafs would almost certainly have to include Lupul in any trade for Staal and then clear an additional $3 million in cap space."

Just as an FYI, Lupul has missed a considerable amount of time on IR from season to season. Since 2005, Lupul has suffered a broken wrist, a sprained ankle, had back surgery (twice), a separated shoulder, a broken forearm, a strained groin, knee surgery and numerous concussions.

Eric Staal, in comparison, has suffered undisclosed lower and upper-body injuries throughout his career and almost all of his injuries have resulted in him being listed as day-to-day and not being placed on IR very often.

Why on earth would Francis be foolish enough to deal away his veteran centreman (and captain) for a player who is a year older and has been injured far more often than Staal? The notion of trading Bozak and Lupul to acquire Eric Staal is absolutely absurd.

Dobber Sports Stud

Didn't you hear? Every player in hockey wants to play in Toronto! It's the dream of everyone!

(was that enough sarcasm?)
    G,A,+/-,PPP,SHP,GWG,H,BS,W,SV%,SA,SO
    12 Man H2H Salary Keeper League
    C - S.Crosby/S.Monahan/G.Landeskog(lw)/W.Karlsson
    LW- T.Hall/B.Rust(lw)/N.Hoglander
    RW - J.Guentzel(lw)/ T.Tatar(lw)/J.Pulujaarvi/K.Kapanen(lw)
    D - B.Burns/E.Karlsson/M.Heiskanen/J.Carlson
    G - I.Sorokin/I.Shesterkin/T.Demko/C.Peterson/C.Talbot
    Farm - C.Primeau/P.Kochetov/C.Caufield/E.Svechnikov

Dobber Sports Genius

They are really gonna have some serious center depth in 2-3 years with Stamkos, Tavares and Staal as #1-3C.

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by rainydrinkwater View Post
    They are really gonna have some serious center depth in 2-3 years with Stamkos, Tavares and Staal as #1-3C.
    Plus Subban is supposed to sign there when his second bridge contract expires.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by praba View Post
    phaneuf + kadri for staal lololololololol
    No no no...

Phaneuf and Clarkson... That I would consider doing. Consider Cap Space Cleared (Shed considerable dead financial weight across 2 players and take on only 1 with greater upside than both).

Not that Carolina would, but I'd sure as hell take a chance on Staal if those two where sent packing.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by rainydrinkwater View Post
    Um...hellooooooo. No one said Bozak was going anywhere. He's continue to be the #1 C no?