Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: Kevin Fiala

Dobber Sports Wizard

Default Re: Kevin Fiala

Quote Originally Posted by notch4077 View Post
    So here I am looking at the Prospect Guides for Fiala. Why can't I find him? Can someone give me a scouting report, upside, player comparison and names of his family and friends. No need for his phone number or address, but they would indeed be helpful as well.
    Scouting report: stolen from Hockey's future
    Strong ability to stay on his skates, and avoid checks and physical contact from opponents. His agility is paramount to the effectiveness of his skill set. Holds onto the puck as if it’s glued to his stick. Very tricky as a dangler, especially when entering the zone with speed, something he can generate within three short steps. Extremely creative and loves to put that on display. Seems to have an uncanny ability to determine when teammates are in close vicinity and find them with the puck. Whether shooting or passing, he can generate an almost slingshot-like motion to accurately send the puck where he wants it to go. His shot has gotten better quickly and he displays good on-goal accuracy with it, be it a wrister or slapshot. A go-to guy with game-breaking skills who is turned to when a goal is required, something he often delivers.
    Fiala is still on the small side, he’s used to being an individual dynamo and is far from complete in the all-round, defensive zone game. Hasn’t always been known to stick to the coach’s gameplan. Will have to work on his physical strength along the way, which is the case for most 18-year-olds. Were he a head bigger, people may have been talking about him in a top-3 overall capacity.
    Upside: PPG player

Player comparison: Patrick Kane
    I can't promise I'll try but I'll try to try.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

I snapped Fiala up late in our draft after reading Corey Pronman from ESPN's top 100 prospects for 2014 article that had him 6th overall behind Ekblad, Bennett, Nylander, Reinhart and Ehlers and ahead of Draisaitl, Dal Colle, Kapanen and Fleury for the top 10. Here was the write-up:

6. Kevin Fiala | LW | HV71 (SHL)
    DOB: 7/22/96 | 2013-14 stats: 17 GP, 3 G, 8 A, 10 PIM

The next great Swiss prospect, Fiala really started to turn heads from about December on. He had a strong World Junior Championship and under-18 World Championship, started playing top-six minutes in the SHL, putting up a ton of points in the process. In terms of points per game, he had the second-highest rate in the SHL among under-18 players in modern history, behind Peter Forsberg. He can make highlight-reel plays with the puck, and he's also a really good passer with great hockey IQ, and doesn't seem to turn the puck over. On the power play, Fiala is the kind of player you want controlling the puck and starting the puck movement. He's 5-11, and while that isn't ideal, he does battle hard and has a lot of drive to his game. Fiala needs to improve his defensive positioning.

Ranking explanation: Fiala is a better if not much better skater than Draisaitl, with better pure skill and hands. They're close in terms of hockey sense and vision, with Draisaitl having a massive advantage in terms of size and physical game. All decisions within a tier are tough, but what made me lean toward Fiala is how he differentiated himself: He looks unique on the ice and had a unique season. That stands out to me since one of the main purposes of the draft for teams is obtaining stars as opposed to good/very good players who can be more easily gained through free agency. I'm not saying Leon can't be the former -- he very well could be -- but Fiala looks like that possibility is greater for him, even if he carries more risk. Draisaitl looks like a standard top-end 18-year-old prospect.
    10 Team Keeper League, 15 Keepers (max 2 goalies), 10 prospects, Start 2C, 2LW, 2RW, 3 Utility, 4D, 2G

Stats: G, A, P, +/-, PIMS, SOG, STP; W, SO, SV%, GAA

C: MacKinnon, Scheifele, Larkin, Pavelski (RW)
    LW Panarin, Ehlers , Ovechkin, Verhaeghe (C), Beauvillier, Killorn
    RW: Kucherov, Pastrnak, Wheeler, Mangiapane (LW)
    D: Makar, Hughes, Krug; Pietrangelo, Schmidt, Andersson, Gostibehere
    G: Vasilevskiy, Hellebuyck, Bobrovsky

Prospects: Sorokin (G), Askarov (G), Raymond (LW), Kaliyev (RW), Perfetti (RW), Norris (C), Kaprizov (LW), Hayton (C), Brannstrom (D), Boqvist (D), Clarke (D)

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by notch4077 View Post
    So here I am looking at the Prospect Guides for Fiala. Why can't I find him? Can someone give me a scouting report, upside, player comparison and names of his family and friends. No need for his phone number or address, but they would indeed be helpful as well.
    He's there, just not in the Nashville section. Remember, the guide comes out before the draft, so he wasn't owned by the Preds yet. The last section of the guide is devoted to the current draft class. In my version of the guide he's on page 163 of the PDF.

Dobber Sports Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Oakville Squires View Post
    I snapped Fiala up late in our draft after reading Corey Pronman from ESPN's top 100 prospects for 2014 article that had him 6th overall behind Ekblad, Bennett, Nylander, Reinhart and Ehlers and ahead of Draisaitl, Dal Colle, Kapanen and Fleury for the top 10. Here was the write-up:

6. Kevin Fiala | LW | HV71 (SHL)
    DOB: 7/22/96 | 2013-14 stats: 17 GP, 3 G, 8 A, 10 PIM

The next great Swiss prospect, Fiala really started to turn heads from about December on. He had a strong World Junior Championship and under-18 World Championship, started playing top-six minutes in the SHL, putting up a ton of points in the process. In terms of points per game, he had the second-highest rate in the SHL among under-18 players in modern history, behind Peter Forsberg. He can make highlight-reel plays with the puck, and he's also a really good passer with great hockey IQ, and doesn't seem to turn the puck over. On the power play, Fiala is the kind of player you want controlling the puck and starting the puck movement. He's 5-11, and while that isn't ideal, he does battle hard and has a lot of drive to his game. Fiala needs to improve his defensive positioning.

Ranking explanation: Fiala is a better if not much better skater than Draisaitl, with better pure skill and hands. They're close in terms of hockey sense and vision, with Draisaitl having a massive advantage in terms of size and physical game. All decisions within a tier are tough, but what made me lean toward Fiala is how he differentiated himself: He looks unique on the ice and had a unique season. That stands out to me since one of the main purposes of the draft for teams is obtaining stars as opposed to good/very good players who can be more easily gained through free agency. I'm not saying Leon can't be the former -- he very well could be -- but Fiala looks like that possibility is greater for him, even if he carries more risk. Draisaitl looks like a standard top-end 18-year-old prospect.
    Great share, Squires. I also had Fiala rated among the offensively-elite in the draft. I let him slide a little in my draft because he wasn't a "sexy name" but I snagged him in the 3rd round. I think him, Ehlers and Nylander will start to produce immediately once they get full-time duty. I want to say, "like F.Forsberg" but they won't get a top line role out of the gate.
    8-GM / WK-H2H
    Forwards: G=2, A=1, PP/SH= +1, GWG= +2, Shootout G=1, HT= +1
    D-Men/Captain: G=3/A=2
    Goalies: W=3, OTL=1, SO= +2, SV= .10

Start = 13F, 6D, 2G / Keep 44 (3G)
    Captain: Matthews
    (F): MacKinnon, Pasta, Marner, Rantanen, Malkin, Barkov, M.Tkachuk, W.Nylander, Pettersson, Gaudreau, Laine, Keller, Miller, B.Tkachuk, Stutzle, DeBrincat, L.Raymond, K.Johnson, Cozens, Quinn, Guenther, Kulich, Cooley
    (D): Makar, Dahlin, Q.Hughes, Ekblad, Rielly, Werenski, Letang, Jones, Chychrun,
    Seider, Edvinsson, Jiricek, Korchinski, Mintyukov, Ceulemans, Hutson
    (G): Shesterkin, Demko, Vejmelka

Dobber Sports Wizard

Fiala to the AHL. Following Nylander.

Dobber Sports Initiate

Heading to the Admirals game tonight for Fiala's AHL debut. I'll let you know how he looked later on. Really looking forward to seeing him live!

Quote Originally Posted by VincentVega View Post
    Fiala to the AHL. Following Nylander.
    Yeah, there's a number of 'em being sent down due to the All Star break. Good opportunity to watch the prospects on the cheap if they happen in your neck of the woods.
    @SmittysRant

Dobber Sports Initiate

Quote Originally Posted by maya has the knife View Post
    Heading to the Admirals game tonight for Fiala's AHL debut. I'll let you know how he looked later on. Really looking forward to seeing him live!
    I see he scored a shootout goal, how did he look overall?
    16 GMs with 15 Keepers, Pts only, Top 9F,4D,1G count
    2020 & 2013 UFHL Champion

McDavid/Draisatl/Scheifele/Malkin/Marchand/
    Hall/Voracek/Nugent-Hopkins/Bergeron/Giroux

Hedman/Hamilton/Doughty/Ellis/Nurse

Grubauer

Dobber Sports Initiate

Quote Originally Posted by bizzy View Post
    I see he scored a shootout goal, how did he look overall?
    Bottom line: the kid has WHEELS. He skates like Pavel Bure, low and with a long stride. He has great hands and puck-handling skills. No issues throwing hits or going to the front of the net when needed. He's still very raw; he made a few no look passes that got intercepted and he lost the puck a few times, but that's to be expected in his first professional game adapting to the North American style of play. I think he's going to be a solid NHLer in a couple years, but he needs some time to acclimate and learn the ropes.

Here's a link to his lead off shootout goal on Jacob Markstrom: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oWomKKXpRK4

Dobber Sports Master

Quote Originally Posted by maya has the knife View Post
    Fiala looked like Pavel Bure today, potting 2 goals against the Czech Republic. Doesn't hurt that he wore #10 either.
    I think you are kevin fiala

Dobber Sports Initiate

Quote Originally Posted by butch View Post
    I think you are kevin fiala
    He wears #12 for the Admirals

Dobber Sports Apprentice

H2H - 16 teams - Auction (225 $ cap), cap up to 300$ after auction on any drafted player.
    Keep 3, +7$ each year. Keep 5 farm (cost 1$ to dress).[/I]

Points (1), Defense goals (2), Powerplay Points (0.5), GWG (0.5), ShG (0.5)

10 F 4 D 1 G 5 bench 10 farm

F: Kucherov (41$), Pettersson (15$), Marner (29$), Wheller (55$), Landeskog (18$), Horvat (15$), Meier (16$), Fiala (1$), Beauvillier (1$), Getzlaf (1$)
    D: Barrie (17$), Fox (1$), Girard (1$), Trouba (2$)
    G: Markstrom (6$)

Bench: Athanasiou, Granlund, Gostisbehere, Matheson, Garland

Farm: Boldy, Gurianov, Puljujarvi, Dach, Glass, Kaprizov, Patrick, Sanheim, Tomasino, Sorokin

Dobber Sports Padawan

To me Fiala and Pastrnak are very similar in that they are smaller players but will check and hit. Watching the Bruins yesterday I saw Pastrnak hip check an Isles player that impressed me for as small as he is. I think both have play maker written all over them and won't hurt you as much as you think in multi cat leagues. I enjoy owning both as I start to build my dynasty.
    16 Team H2H Dynasty
    G A Pt PIM SoG PPP H+B FOW DZS
    W Svs GAA Sv%

C Scheifele Tavares Dvorack Eller
    LW Domi Aho Ritchie Vrana
    RW Tarasenko J Williams Laine Sheary
    D Klefbom M Rielly Spurgeon Provorov Ellis Dahlin
    R White Kase Schmaltz Thomas Anston-Reese Lindell Theodore

G McEhlinney C Anderson
    R Kuemper

M Bjork Raddysh Kravtsov Ylonen Soderstorm Gilles Gustavsson Point Khakonen Delia Hill

Dobber Sports Stud

I am stoked having this guy in my 20 team keeper, he will produce well in the NHL and at a cheap cost when he arrives to Nashville replacing Riberio imo when he demands alot of money this off-season this is pure speculation of course.
    NFHA categories: G(25) A(25) PIM(3) Hits(2) Blocks(2) PPP(15) SHP(20) Goalie Stats: W(50) Sv(2) ShOu(100) OtL(10) ShL(10) L(-10) GA(-12)
    Cold As Ice Dynasty H2H categories: G A PIM SOG PPP +/- HIT BLK WINS GAA SV% SHO
    Starting Roster:
    Center - Giroux, Krejci, W.Karlsson
    Left Wing - Hall, Guentzel, Danault
    Right Wing - Stone, R.Smith, Compher
    Ultility Forward - Fast, Gaborik
    Defense - Klingberg, Pietrangelo, Jones, C.Miller, Phanuef, E.Johnson
    Goalie - Allen, R.Miller
    Bench - M.Foligno, Sheahan, Laughton, Glendening, Djoos, Jensen, H.Fleury
    Prospects - Kyrou, Andersson Hinostroza, Grundstrom, Roy, Timmins, Grzelcyk, Lauzon, Lindgren

Dobber Sports Wizard

2G, 1A tonight. Fiala now has 8 points in 11 games. Not bad for an 18-year-old in the AHL.