Thread: Welker suspended for PED use

Dobber Sports Deity

Default Welker suspended for PED use

Woah! So much for worrying about the concussion for week 1.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300..._atn_rosenthal

"Wes Welker won't be available for the start of the season, but it has nothing to do with the concussion he recently suffered.

NFL Media's Albert Breer reports that Welker has been suspended four games for violating the league's performance-enhancing drug policy, according to sources. Welker's appeal happened two weeks ago and parties were notified today that he lost the appeal.

Breer reports that Welker's positive test came in May, so the suspension doesn't hit the Broncos brass as a surprise. They are far more well equipped to handle the loss on the field than most squads. Emmanuel Sanders looked fantastic in the preseason, and he's better playing out of the slot than on the outside. Tight end Julius Thomas can handle a lot of the dirty work between the numbers where Welker resides. Veteran Andre Caldwell and second round pick Cody Latimer should also get more snaps.

The news is still a big setback for the Broncos during a challenging start of the season. They open the season with Indianapolis, Kansas City, Seattle, and Arizona. Their rebuilt defense will pick up more of the slack now, but we saw last season that this team isn't going to fall apart just because it's missing one player.

Welker suffered his third concussion in the last ten months only two weeks ago. His mandatory departure from the team will give him additional time to recover, but it doesn't help Welker's chances of returning in 2015. He's a free agent at the end of the season."
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, SBennett

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Default Re: Welker suspended for PED use

Sanders' value just vaulted into the stratosphere.
    @SmittysRant

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by Bomm Bastic View Post
    Sanders' value just vaulted into the stratosphere.
    For a few weeks, yes!

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, SBennett

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Could see a spike in Caldwell and/or Tamme production, depending on which one steps into the slot role.
    @SmittysRant

Dobber Sports Deity

Could see a spike in Caldwell and/or Tamme production, depending on which one steps into the slot role.
    What about the rookie Cody Latimer? This just helped his numbers short term as well!

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    What about the rookie Cody Latimer? This just helped his numbers short term as well!
    I disagree to an extent. This Welker situation definitely helps Sanders right outta the gate. GMs picking him in the sixth or later rounds as their WR3 or flex have to be friggin' ecstatic.

Here's the thing...recall last season? Welker gets a concussion, that game Tamme comes in plays really well, in fact gets a TD. Everyone assume "Ok! Get Tamme, Broncos are going two TE sets. BOOM!"

Unfortunately, the next week Caldwell comes out, performs really well. He himself gets a TD.

Point being, we can guess all we want about the short term, and who the fourth receiver will be. Welker's value was low to begin with, given that third concussion. No one knows what the Broncos/Manning will do. Manning likes reliability, Caldwell is reliable and so is Tamme.

Fantasy GMs shouldn't be scrambling for WR4 scraps. Get the talent. The talent in this case being, Latimer. If he's on your WW right now, grab him, bench him with the hope that weeks 5 and beyond he finds a groove with Manning. Because latimer...not Sanders is Decker's replacement skill-wise. Don't misunderstand, Sanders is great value due to opportunity by sheer virtue of having Manning as his QB.

BUT...if you don't own Sanders, grab Latimer as your forth or fifth WR and let the other owners grovel over Caldwell, Welker and Tamme.

That's my take
    @SmittysRant

Dobber Sports Expert

I disagree to an extent. This Welker situation definitely helps Sanders right outta the gate. GMs picking him in the sixth or later rounds as their WR3 or flex have to be friggin' ecstatic.

Here's the thing...recall last season? Welker gets a concussion, that game Tamme comes in plays really well, in fact gets a TD. Everyone assume "Ok! Get Tamme, Broncos are going two TE sets. BOOM!"

Unfortunately, the next week Caldwell comes out, performs really well. He himself gets a TD.

Point being, we can guess all we want about the short term, and who the fourth receiver will be. Welker's value was low to begin with, given that third concussion. No one knows what the Broncos/Manning will do. Manning likes reliability, Caldwell is reliable and so is Tamme.

Fantasy GMs shouldn't be scrambling for WR4 scraps. Get the talent. The talent in this case being, Latimer. If he's on your WW right now, grab him, bench him with the hope that weeks 5 and beyond he finds a groove with Manning. Because latimer...not Sanders is Decker's replacement skill-wise. Don't misunderstand, Sanders is great value due to opportunity by sheer virtue of having Manning as his QB.

BUT...if you don't own Sanders, grab Latimer as your forth or fifth WR and let the other owners grovel over Caldwell, Welker and Tamme.

That's my take
    Interesting take, Bomm. Picking up on your comparison of Latimer and Decker, and realizing that you're absolutely right about the fact that we're just guessing right now, what do you think the chances are that in a few weeks Latimer's skill set and size force Sanders into the slot with Latimer regularly opposite Thomas on the outside?

Maybe a little unlikely, but seems like more than a non-existent chance to me, which would be a boon to Latimer. At least that was the thought process I had when I picked up Latimer as a stash earlier today. Maybe exactly the point you were making too....
    14 Team H2H Dynasty League (14 keepers, no farm)
    Weekly Starts (3C, 5W, 5D, 1Util, 2G)
    G, A, PPP, SOG, BS, +/-, GAA, W+OTL, SV%

C: MacKinnon/Eichel/Kopitar/Pinto/Wright
    W: Ovechkin/Toffoli/Necas/Giroux/E.Kane/K.Johnson/Schmaltz/Bjorkstrand
    D: Dobson/Trouba/Mintyukov/Gostisbehere/Edvinsson/York
    G: Saros/Demko/Askarov

Quote Originally Posted by dejeanneret View Post
    Interesting take, Bomm. Picking up on your comparison of Latimer and Decker, and realizing that you're absolutely right about the fact that we're just guessing right now, what do you think the chances are that in a few weeks Latimer's skill set and size force Sanders into the slot with Latimer regularly opposite Thomas on the outside?

Maybe a little unlikely, but seems like more than a non-existent chance to me, which would be a boon to Latimer. At least that was the thought process I had when I picked up Latimer as a stash earlier today. Maybe exactly the point you were making too....
    Exactly. Reports are Latimer has seen some red zone work in practices. Problem is Manning doesn't like specialized personnel for red zone play. He usually wants the same personnel on the field at all times. So the question becomes, how quickly can Latimer develop Manning's trust is the key. That's why I like him as a stash for the second half of the season...perhaps a couple games sooner. I'd rather him on my bench than Britt or Roob Randle, off the top of my head.
    @SmittysRant

Dobber Sports Deity

I just completed an inaugural draft with a bunch of my co-workers last night. It's a limited keeper (keep 2) and I managed to snag him in the 13th round of a 10 team league. I can stash him on my bench short term and hope he is a playoff stud for me!

Dobber Sports Expert

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    I just completed an inaugural draft with a bunch of my co-workers last night. It's a limited keeper (keep 2) and I managed to snag him in the 13th round of a 10 team league. I can stash him on my bench short term and hope he is a playoff stud for me!
    So not to completely jack this thread, but I did the same thing in one league and now have a somewhat intriguing trade question:

I received an offer last night whereby I'd give Welker and get Kelvin Benjamin. 12 team, non-PPR league, limited keeper. Either guy is really my WR4 (behind Julio, Marshall, Torrey Smith) and neither will be a keeper for me next year. Start 2 WR and 1 RB/WR flex.

I kind of like the deal. Non-PPR. Kelvin is the main target in CAR. Holds much better trade value next off-season. Isn't another head shot away from who knows what. But I also really like the thought of Welker stashed as my WR4 in that offense (and I have Peyton).

Thinking maybe trying to squeeze the other owner for an upgraded draft pick too (nothing major, but like flipping my 6th for his 4th). He just picked up Caldwell last night too, so maybe he bites on it as he seems to have set a strategy in motion.

What do you guys think?

Quote Originally Posted by dejeanneret View Post
    So not to completely jack this thread, but I did the same thing in one league and now have a somewhat intriguing trade question:

I received an offer last night whereby I'd give Welker and get Kelvin Benjamin. 12 team, non-PPR league, limited keeper. Either guy is really my WR4 (behind Julio, Marshall, Torrey Smith) and neither will be a keeper for me next year. Start 2 WR and 1 RB/WR flex.

I kind of like the deal. Non-PPR. Kelvin is the main target in CAR. Holds much better trade value next off-season. Isn't another head shot away from who knows what. But I also really like the thought of Welker stashed as my WR4 in that offense (and I have Peyton).

Thinking maybe trying to squeeze the other owner for an upgraded draft pick too (nothing major, but like flipping my 6th for his 4th). He just picked up Caldwell last night too, so maybe he bites on it as he seems to have set a strategy in motion.

What do you guys think?
    I like all of what you just said. It being a non-ppr league serves you well in this scenario, and it would seem the other GM jumped on Caldwell and is now tied to having to acquire Welker. Go for it.
    @SmittysRant

Dobber Sports Expert

I like all of what you just said. It being a non-ppr league serves you well in this scenario, and it would seem the other GM jumped on Caldwell and is now tied to having to acquire Welker. Go for it.
    Sooo.... Regardless of the whole drug policy renegotiation talk and possible reduction of suspensions, I went ahead and did the deal. Got his Benjamin and 4th rounder next season for my Welker and a 6th rounder. We'll see how the whole fiasco plays out, but I still think I like this deal in a non-PPR and given Welker's concussion concerns.