Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast

Thread: Obama Distraction

Dobber Sports Star

Default Re: Obama Distraction

I can certainly understand those of you who think this particular event likely had nothing to do with distraction, but I don't understand how some of you can just throw that possibility completely out the window and brush it off as a silly and outrageous premise... How the **** do you know?!

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by forumname View Post
    I can certainly understand those of you who think this particular event likely had nothing to do with distraction, but I don't understand how some of you can just throw that possibility completely out the window and brush it off as a silly and outrageous premise... How the **** do you know?!
    Let us ask you, politely, but in your own words, how the (bleep) do you know that it is a distraction? And how is not silly and outrageous to say that it has to be a distraction without concrete proof that it is? Frankly none of us, zip, zero, nada, the square root of jack, know whether it was or not. Only Obama and his staff know and naturally they are never going to say. Instead of focusing on whether or not they are using Robin Williams' death as a smoke screen, hold their feet to the fire for the actual conduct that offends.

Dobber Sports Star

Quote Originally Posted by NoWayOut View Post
    Let us ask you, politely, but in your own words, how the (bleep) do you know that it is a distraction? And how is not silly and outrageous to say that it has to be a distraction without concrete proof that it is? Frankly none of us, zip, zero, nada, the square root of jack, know whether it was or not. Only Obama and his staff know and naturally they are never going to say. Instead of focusing on whether or not they are using Robin Williams' death as a smoke screen, hold their feet to the fire for the actual conduct that offends.
    I've said in this thread that it very well could not be!

Dobber Sports Star

This whole time I've been more focussed on the broader fact that distractions DO happen. Maybe I'm right about the Williams thing being an example of this, maybe I'm wrong. It's the unwillingness to even consider it a possibility that I don't get.

Nobody has commented on the VMA/NDAA part of my initial post, or any other example for that matter. From my understanding, Obama had declared he was going to veto the NDAA, but during the Miley debacle he quietly signed... Any opinions there?

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by forumname View Post
    I've said in this thread that it very well could not be!
    I'm sure you have, but it is still illogical to say that those of us who say it's most likely just coincidence are being silly or outrageous. Face it politicians of all stripes, at all levels, have used, and will in the future almost certainly, use anything they can to keep the sheeple in the dark as to their true motives and agendas. There's no gain to be had by crying distraction everytime a major news story happens to coincide with a questionable action undertaken by a political figure. We can't prove it, and our calling them out on taking advantage of an organic event, if in fact they have at a particular time, does nothing to stop them.

Dobber Sports Genius

Quote Originally Posted by NoWayOut View Post
    I'm sure you have, but it is still illogical to say that those of us who say it's most likely just coincidence are being silly or outrageous. Face it politicians of all stripes, at all levels, have used, and will in the future almost certainly, use anything they can to keep the sheeple in the dark as to their true motives and agendas. There's no gain to be had by crying distraction everytime a major news story happens to coincide with a questionable action undertaken by a political figure. We can't prove it, and our calling them out on taking advantage of an organic event, if in fact they have at a particular time, does nothing to stop them.
    This is all true, but I think there's value in the discussion, frankly. Nothing wrong with noting it, discussing it and being aware, at the very least. There's a little too much of a casual attitude among the public, and a lack of holding politicians (and others) accountable for sneaky shenanigans in recent years. Who knows about the particular incident in question in this thread, but I see nothing wrong in bringing up the notion.

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by CascadeFilly View Post
    This is all true, but I think there's value in the discussion, frankly. Nothing wrong with noting it, discussing it and being aware, at the very least. There's a little too much of a casual attitude among the public, and a lack of holding politicians (and others) accountable for sneaky shenanigans in recent years. Who knows about the particular incident in question in this thread, but I see nothing wrong in bringing up the notion.
    Very true. I am very very much a cynic when it comes to the political process and our ability to affect change. That said you are correct that discussion is a good thing. Personally I think it's better to swat aside their tricks if we're going to engage, after all they think we're so stupid that we'll lose sight of the larger issue. We should attack straight at the heart of matters, and focus the debate on ramping back up the military involvement in Iraq.

Dobber Sports Star

For me, I am all about being skeptical. With something like this though, there is definitely no way you will ever be able to prove one way or another. I think that authority needs to be questioned. That being said, I think it's sad that a man can't say that he is sad that a special person passed away without people questioning he motives.

It reminds me of a time many years ago when my grandmother died. I was very close with her and was very upset. My boss questioned me suggesting that a part of me was happy about it because it meant I could miss a couple days of work. Just going with that line of questioning can be hurtful.

In my opinion, I am fine questioning poor decisions made by the president. Stuff which really matters and affects people. Things like this which can't be proven and at the end of the day REALLY don't matter, I would just let it go.

Rylant

Dobber Sports Genius

Quote Originally Posted by Rylant View Post
    It reminds me of a time many years ago when my grandmother died. I was very close with her and was very upset. My boss questioned me suggesting that a part of me was happy about it because it meant I could miss a couple days of work. Just going with that line of questioning can be hurtful.
    WOW. I understand challenging peoples motives from time to time but that guy sounds like a prick.

In line with this thread, there are more events that governments would like to cover up than there is pop-culture news. Do I trust the governments? Not much.

I do try to exercise critical thinking, but whoever was responsible for any perceived negative actions would have done it anyway. Obama may or may not be a legit RW fan and the sorrow expressed may have been real or not but the attack it "might" have distracted from would've happened anyway.
    10 team full keeper roto 4C/LW/RW,6D,2G

G,A,P,+/-,PIM,SOG,GWG,PPP,SHP,Hit,Blk,FOW
    W,GAA,SV,SV%,SHO

C-Aho,Couturier,Matthews,O'Reilly
    LW-Ehlers,Giroux,Panarin,Rust
    RW-Kucherov,Palmieri,Pastrnak,Wilson
    D-Burns,Carlson,Gudas,Josi,Nurse,Pietrangelo
    G-Fleury,F.Andersen,Markstrom
    BN-Zacha

Under 250 gp farm
    Beaucage,Berggren,Bokk,Brisson,Chytil,Dugan,Foerst er,Foote,Frost,Grewe,K.Johnson,Lindblom,Mikheyev,N ybeck,Peterka,Pospisil,Protas,Ranta,Raty,Stankoven ,Suzuki,Tuomaala
    Alexeyev,Brook,Foote,Graves,Poirier,Sanderson,Seid er,Wilde,Woo,Zamula
    Berdin,Brossoit,Commesso,Ersson,Husso,Knight,Koche tkov,Lafontaine,Oettinger,Primeau,Sandstrom,Stolar z,Ustimenko,Vladar

Dobber Sports Star

Quote Originally Posted by hockeymanG23 View Post
    Obama may or may not be a legit RW fan and the sorrow expressed may have been real or not but the attack it "might" have distracted from would've happened anyway.
    Of course they're going to do what they want anyway, but they know how to minimize damage to their reputations.

Quote Originally Posted by austeane View Post
    Any discussion in the Lounge can be silly!

I think the likely case is pretty obvious, and the only interesting questions are "Is it bad?" and "Does anyone care?"

There was a tragedy. Obama, the human being, was sincerely saddened. Obama's administration, the political organization, either encouraged the public remarks or simply promoted something that already was happening to maybe take some focus off an event that was going to happen already.
    Silly, sure. This is silly under a thin veil of seriousness. Obama's on the downside of his second term. He doesn't give a rat's arse what anyone thinks.
    @SmittysRant

Dobber Sports Grand Master

This is honestly dumb. Yes every single sports team, corporation, government body, etc. releases negative news items at times when they feel it will have the least possible negative effect. This isn't a US government thing or an Obama thing, it's a global thing that everyone does it. Hell. You do it forumname. Every single person in the world tries to find the "best time" to tell someone bad news if they can help it to minimize the impact of bad news.

It's not a conspiracy theory, it's human nature. Yes governments attempt to minimize backlash on potentially unpopular policy, IF THEY CAN. If this bill was really as terrible and unpopular as you seem to think it is, the death of an actor wouldn't distract public opinion from it.

IMO, Mods should be locking this thread at this point. Not that I care. I'm not coming back but let the thread die. It's such a dumb thing. This more feels like you're advocating everyone who works in marketing/PR should be jobless, not any substantial revelation about government conspiracy. Woah, good job, you finally cracked the complex code of what public relations teams get hired for! Bravo!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by rataylor22 View Post
    IMO, Mods should be locking this thread at this point. Not that I care. I'm not coming back but let the thread die. It's such a dumb thing. This more feels like you're advocating everyone who works in marketing/PR should be jobless, not any substantial revelation about government conspiracy. Woah, good job, you finally cracked the complex code of what public relations teams get hired for! Bravo!
    So because you don't like it you think the thread should be locked? I think most of the threads you start are useless too but you don't hear me clamoring for them to be closed.
    This is the Lounge, it's intended for open discussion. For ****'s sake they had a thread on pooping in here last week, I think it's safe to say anything goes, if you don't like it then don't read it.

Quote Originally Posted by Vanek! at the Disco View Post
    So because you don't like it you think the thread should be locked? I think most of the threads you start are useless too but you don't hear me clamoring for them to be closed.
    This is the Lounge, it's intended for open discussion. For ****'s sake they had a thread on pooping in here last week, I think it's safe to say anything goes, if you don't like it then don't read it.
    Why try to contribute to the topic, instead of this incessant whining?
    @SmittysRant

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by Bomm Bastic View Post
    Why try to contribute to the topic, instead of this incessant whining?
    Quote Originally Posted by Vanek! at the Disco View Post
    Love ya Bomm, but you gotta give the man his due. That. Was. Funny.