Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast

Thread: Obama Distraction

Dobber Sports Master

Default Re: Obama Distraction

Let's take a breath kids... the original discussion is an interesting one and deserves better than being buried by bickering (forum alliteration ftw).

Do I believe that governments time bad news for when other things are distracting people? Oh yeah, all the time. The Canadian Gov't slipped out a raft of unpopular things during the last Winter Olympics if memory serves me correctly.

This is just common sense for people who have the primary goal of getting re-elected. Is is kind of sleazy and cowardly? Yep, but no one party/side holds a monopoly on it.

Now I don't think Obama made a statement to draw attention to Williams and away from other things but I'm pretty sure nobody thought twice about making use of the smokescreen.

Edit* Just as an fyi, I hope this thread stays on track but part of me wants a complete derailment so that I can close the thread with the epic final post of "This thread has been Loch'd!"
    /S

~ I'm not a sociopath, it's just that my magnetic personality keeps throwing off my moral compass.~

Victoria DH
    C(3): Athanasiou, Sissons, Zibanejad
    LW(3): Lehkonen, Burakovsky, Hymen
    RW(3): Bjorkstrand, Smith, Palmieri
    F(3): Stepan (C), Bjork (LW), Poehling (C)
    D(6): Carlson, Heiskanen, Bogosian, Edler, Hakanpaa, Fleury
    G(1): Talbot, Sorokin, Varlamov
    Bench: Parise (LW), Motte (C), Richardson (C), Hagg (D)
    IR: Wood, Henrique, Johnson, Dvorak

Prospects: (F) Barre-Boulet, Khovanov, Beckman, Greig, N. Robertson, Fagemo, Tuomalaa, (D) Ceulemans, Hughes, Schneider, Zboril

Dobber Sports Ninja

So what are we hinting at here? That some sort of foreign policy decision by the USA was put into action while the world focused on Robin Williams?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Loch View Post
    but part of me wants a complete derailment so that I can close the thread with the epic final post of "This thread has been Loch'd!"
    As much as I hate threads being locked, I would lmao

also, thumbs up on the nice job "moderating" the discussion

Dobber Sports Master

Quote Originally Posted by doulos View Post
    So what are we hinting at here? That some sort of foreign policy decision by the USA was put into action while the world focused on Robin Williams?
    I think the implication (the OP can correct me if I'm wrong) is that Obama may have drawn attention to Williams' death in attempt to pull focus off of the announcement of bombings and drone strikes in Iraq from a few days ago...
    /S

~ I'm not a sociopath, it's just that my magnetic personality keeps throwing off my moral compass.~

Victoria DH

Prospects: (F) Barre-Boulet, Khovanov, Beckman, Greig, N. Robertson, Fagemo, Tuomalaa, (D) Ceulemans, Hughes, Schneider, Zboril

Dobber Sports Ninja

I've seen a lot of dumb threads on this forum over the years... this one ranks right up there.

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by Loch View Post
    I think the implication (the OP can correct me if I'm wrong) is that Obama may have drawn attention to Williams' death in attempt to pull focus off of the announcement of bombings and drone strikes in Iraq from a few days ago...
    But. It happened in the past. If I had special powers where I could do something today that would make a past situation far less awkward ... well let's just say that girl in high school would never have seen that thing happen that did happen.

Dobber Sports Veteran

Really - When any organization, be it a corporation, a government, hell even a pro sports team hires a communications "team" then there definitely will be careful management of information.

Whether we like it or not, there are likely more than a dozen people with communications/market/political science backgrounds carefully managing the information stream from any first world government - call it doublespeak, or being cynical if you like, but this isn't likely to change any time soon.
    18 Team Full Keeper. Total points.

Start 10 F, 3 D, 1 UTIL, 1 G

3 Points: SHO, 2 Points: G, PPA, SHG, SHA, W, 1 Point: A, PPG, GWG, .25 Points: BLK, .1 Points: FOW, SOG, SV, .15 Points: HIT, -.05 Points: FOL, -.15 Points: GA

Forwards: Backstrom, Barre-Boulet, Beauvillier, Caufield, Dickinson, Donato, Donskoi, Gourde, Greenway, Horvat, Kase, Keller, Kuznetsov, MacKinnon, Marchessault, J. T. Miller, Sikura, Tarasenko, Zegras

Defense: Barrie, Brannstrom, Cholowski, Honka, Matheson, Pulock, Shattenkirk

Goal: Dubnyk, Jarry, Markstrom, Merzlikins

2014-15, 2016-17 MHL Champions!

Dobber Sports Deity

https://twitter.com/pmharper/status/499007155593547776

Laureen and I were saddened to hear of the passing of Robin Williams. Our thoughts are with his loved ones at this time.

Hmm, I wonder what PM Harpers agenda was when he tweeted this. He must be trying to detract from other things that Canada is doing in the world too.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Master

Quote Originally Posted by doulos View Post
    But. It happened in the past. If I had special powers where I could do something today that would make a past situation far less awkward ... well let's just say that girl in high school would never have seen that thing happen that did happen.
    Hehe... maybe not, but if there had been a cheerleader convicted of bank robbery the following week you probably would have steered conversations that way rather than towards your indiscretions.
    /S

Victoria DH

Dobber Sports Deity

Never mind, I just remembered, it's in our DNA for us Canadians to be nice. That has to be it.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Ninja

No indiscretions. More of a highly embarrassing situation.

In the end I suppose it all worked out for the best!

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    https://twitter.com/pmharper/status/499007155593547776

Hmm, I wonder what PM Harpers agenda was when he tweeted this. He must be trying to detract from other things that Canada is doing in the world too.
    Harper? Frankly I wouldn't put anything past that sneaky little douchebag.

I agree though, you can't assume there is always a hidden agenda, even slimy politicians are people too (barely), and Robin Williams was larger than life personality who touched many families, I give most of them the benefit of the doubt on this one!

Dobber Sports Apprentice

In Quebec, television channel TVA decided to broadcast the movie Mrs Doubtfire. The way I see and analyze it, they may act like they're "paying a tribute" to M. Robin Williams and the population is probably thinking they have, but honestly, its just savvy marketing and taking advantage of the current Robin Williams wave to increase views.

In politics, status quo is worse than sucking up to something you don't believe (i.e. PM Harper taking part in Quebec Day festivities) or being overly emphatic of a current event. Same could be said for Obama I guess.
    Keeper league H2H weekly (12 teams, 22P, 12K)
    9 Skater stats: P, G, +/-, PPG, PPP, GWG, Shots, Hits, BS -- 4 Goalie stats: W, SO, Save%, GAA%
    C: Dubois, Hischier, Patrick
    W: Rakell, Pastrnak, Ferland, Ho-Sang
    D: Dumba, Klingberg, Rielly, Klefbom
    G: Raanta, Grubauer
    Bench: Hart, C. Anderson, Kinkaid, M. Smith, Werenski, Myers, Zadina, Ferland, Ho-Sang,

Quote Originally Posted by gfunkb7 View Post
    In Quebec, television channel TVA decided to broadcast the movie Mrs Doubtfire. The way I see and analyze it, they may act like they're "paying a tribute" to M. Robin Williams and the population is probably thinking they have, but honestly, its just savvy marketing and taking advantage of the current Robin Williams wave to increase views.

In politics, status quo is worse than sucking up to something you don't believe (i.e. PM Harper taking part in Quebec Day festivities) or being overly emphatic of a current event. Same could be said for Obama I guess.
    Does POTUS cease being human upon election to office? Is he not allowed to publicly express remorse for the loss of a great mind, talent, and human being? And to do so without retaliation of unsupported suspicion/innuendo of ulterior motive? Did CNN et al suddenly stop covering the global self destruction of itself, committing instead to 72hrs of non-stop interpretation and salutation of Obama's expression of regret? Did Obama's poll numbers suddenly jump 20 points?

No, I didn't think so.

As blayze said, this is silly (I paraphrase)
    @SmittysRant

Dobber Sports Ace

Any discussion in the Lounge can be silly!

I think the likely case is pretty obvious, and the only interesting questions are "Is it bad?" and "Does anyone care?"

There was a tragedy. Obama, the human being, was sincerely saddened. Obama's administration, the political organization, either encouraged the public remarks or simply promoted something that already was happening to maybe take some focus off an event that was going to happen already.
    Data Science Intern, Pebble
    COO, Quidditch Post
    Associate Editor, Dobber Sports Network
    Hockey Operations Intern, UBC Thunderbirds

Top 100 Roto
    Dobber Prospects

Ask me your fantasy questions on Twitter: @austeane
    My main league:

H2H Each Cat - Yahoo - 14 teams - Real Cap Hit - 85m cap
    Start: 2C 2LW 2RW 4D 2U 2G 7B daily (21)
    Cats: G A +- PIM SOG PPG PPA SHP GWG FW HIT W
    GAA SV SV% SO
    Edler's Mind Tricks:
    C:, Lehtera, Plekanec, Kuznetsov, Komarov
    LW: Benn, Kreider, Roussel
    RW: Malkin, Yakupov, Nyquist
    D: Subban, Letang, Karlsson, Jones, Dillon, Deslauriers
    G: Bobrovsky, Lehner, Elliott
    JV: Sekac, Petan, Poirier, Vrana, Fleury, Sanheim, Galiev, 5th, 9th, 15th, 18th, 24th overall amateur picks