Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Thread: Obama Distraction

Dobber Sports Star

Default Re: Obama Distraction

Okay, didn't mean to upset everyone. Sorry for questioning authority, won't be bothering with that here anymore.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by rataylor22 View Post
    Just everything in the world is a conspiracy hey? I bet Obama himself deleted your comment so nobody would find out.
    No, you're right. Nothing is.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Bomm Bastic View Post
    Obama could feed the world and your ilk would blame him for overpopulation. Point being, you'll adhere to your foregone conclusion despite any evidence indicating otherwise. Why bother having this pointless discussion?
    Quote Originally Posted by forumname View Post

Not surprisingly, my comment was deleted while the rebuttals remained...
    This is the Lounge. It is for discussing non-hockey related topics, anything under the sun right?
    So where the **** do you get off deleting his post for obeying the forum rules and stating his opinions? You don't agree with his politics so you delete his post? This is getting old.

here it comes gang, thread will get locked in 3...2...1

Dobber Sports Deity

This is the lounge where you can ramble about what ever you like, as long as it stays civil. I didn't agree with you and you didn't agree with me. So be it. You are allowed to speak your mind here.

Ramble on!
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Quote Originally Posted by Vanek! at the Disco View Post
    This is the Lounge. It is for discussing non-hockey related topics, anything under the sun right?
    So why where the **** do you get off deleting his post for obeying the forum rules and stating his opinions? You don't agree with his politics so you delete his post? This is getting old.

here it comes gang, thread will get locked in 3...2...1
    Do you even know what you're talking about? The deleted political posts occurred in the Robin Williams thread. Off topic, irrelevant, and only purpose was to provoke. Much like this thread.

Become fully informed prior to delivering an opinion. Otherwise silence is much more beneficial.
    @SmittysRant

Banned

The deleted political posts occurred in the Robin Williams thread.
    Which was posted in which subforum exactly? Oh that's right, the Lounge.

Dobber Sports Star

Do you even know what you're talking about? The deleted political posts occurred in the Robin Williams thread. Off topic, irrelevant, and only purpose was to provoke. Much like this thread.
    I agree that it wasn't the best post to make in the Williams thread, but I acknowledged that in my next post and brought the discussion elsewhere. Why did the post get deleted? Only praise was allowed in that thread? Didn't see that in the rulebook. Also, it wasn't even me who brought Obama into it. Why did the original political post and those that followed remain? All my unpopular opinions seem to just disappear...

Dobber Sports Ninja

I agree that it wasn't the best post to make in the Williams thread, but I acknowledged that in my next post and brought the discussion elsewhere. Why did the post get deleted? Only praise was allowed in that thread? Didn't see that in the rulebook. Also, it wasn't even me who brought Obama into it. Why did the original political post and those that followed remain? All my unpopular opinions seem to just disappear...
    Your comments in the Robin Williams thread were deleted, because clearly that was not the time, nor place, for those comments. This new thread is a completely appropriate place to discuss the issue though, hence why it's being left alone for discussion. Your unpopular opinion are not being deleted when they are placed upon the appropriate platform

To the actual question at hand.

Did Obama use Robin Wiliams' death as a way to distract the public from other issues going on in the world?

Maybe yes, maybe no. Does it really matter though? Is the 24 hours of "distraction" really going to make that big of a difference in how they carry out their foreign policy? Are they going to be able to bomb a few extra targets because Fox news has something else to focus on for a day? The bombing and the policies surrounding it started way before Robin Williams entered the headlines. Did they jump on it and say 'Hey we can take the heat off of us for a bit?!"

Let's assume they did. My question is 'So What?' I fail to see how that changes anything at all in the long run. They are going to do what they are going to do and the public is going to react in whatever way they want to, long after Robin Williams' death is no longer a going concern. So what real incentive would Obama have to do such a thing if it won't make a difference anyways? I just don't get the logical reasoning for making these sorts of connections.

Here's what I do see though.

All my unpopular opinions seem to just disappear...
    Sorry for questioning authority
    Not surprisingly, my comment was deleted while the rebuttals remained...
    People sure get touchy when you question their beliefs...
    I bet we all know more details about the death of Robin Williams than the bombings. I know I do. Doesn't that seem strange?
    but do you guys really believe that the government doesn't see value in a distracted public and use that to their advantage?

Take a step back and read your own words. This stemmed from the fact that Obama made a few public comments on an extremely popular public figure who died from a suicide? A guy who was known for his infectious kindness and humour, and yet was still overwhelmed by depression. The word that comes to mind is paranoia. At least Obama didn't try and distract from the issue of depression, suicide, and the character of a person by infecting a nice tribute thread with discussions of political distraction and world bombings hey? I mean if anyone did such a thing I'd seriously have to start questioning if they were using Robin Williams' death as a way to try and push forward a political agenda or something. Thankfully Obama didn't do THAT though ...

Dobber Sports Star

Quote Originally Posted by doulos View Post

Did Obama use Robin Wiliams' death as a way to distract the public from other issues going on in the world?

Let's assume they did. My question is 'So What?'
    Look, I just wanted to gauge how people look at these things. I'm not a conspiracy nut, but I do exercise critical thinking and tend to question what I'm told. I don't believe the nightly news any more than I believe TMZ, and I sure as hell don't believe in the goodness of politicians.

I think I got my answer - some don't believe the american government uses smokescreens whenever possible, and the rest say 'so what'. That's fine.

Dobber Sports Ninja

Look, I just wanted to gauge how people look at these things. I'm not a conspiracy nut, but I do exercise critical thinking and tend to question what I'm told. I don't believe the nightly news any more than I believe TMZ, and I sure as hell don't believe in the goodness of politicians.

I think I got my answer - some don't believe the american government uses smokescreens whenever possible, and the rest say 'so what'. That's fine.
    I'm sure they do, but in this case of what benefit is it to the government long term? Even beyond ... say 24 hours? That's the part I'm not able to connect the dots with on your ideas here.

Banned

Didn't you get the memo? Critical thinking is frowned upon in these parts. Especially when it goes against the hive mind and rubs a moderator the wrong way.
    Now shut your damn mouth and fall into line!

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by Vanek! at the Disco View Post
    Didn't you get the memo? Critical thinking is frowned upon in these parts. Especially when it goes against the hive mind and rubs a moderator the wrong way.
    Now shut your damn mouth and fall into line!
    No one is saying that but you. I have some genuine questions about the leaps being taken to connect the dots here.

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by doulos View Post
    No one is saying that but you. I have some genuine questions about the leaps being taken to connect the dots here.
    Leaps? You need a plane to properly connect these dots.

The original post was not deleted because it was directly related to the death of Robin Williams (ie, Obama expressing sentiment and condolences re same). Your subsequent posts were off-point and better suited for a separate thread (which you admitted to). A thread that that remains open, yet ironically not being used for its originally intended purpose.

Speaking of ironic, VATD wishes to engage in critical thinking. I do not think that term means what you think it means - if your posts heretofore are any indication.
    @SmittysRant

Dobber Sports Stud

I found your comments interesting forumname....have you read Glen Beck's version of the essay Common Sense....I'm not a Glen Beck fan or affiliated with a political party, but the book was actually quite good. Surprisingly not written to cater to any one side imo. I think you would like it.
    16 Team Dynasty Weekly H2H Fantrax (starters in bold)

G A P +/- PIM SOG PPP H+B FOW --- W SV SV% GAA SO

(C) Krejci, Spezza, Koivo, Statsny Faksa
    (LW) Zetterberg, Duclair, Ehlers, M Domi Belesky, M Martin
    (RW) Pastrnak, Oshie, Larkin, Toffoli S Reinhart, Brouwer
    (D) J Honka, Seabrook, Goligoski, D DeKeyser, Vatanen, Parayko L Schenn, S Johns
    (G) Ward, Lack

Prospects- W Nylander, C Dvorak, I Barbashev, C White, T Rattie, M Dal Colle, A Mantha, R Barber, L Crouse, M Barzal, C Keller, L Brown, C Fischer, B Point, J Forsbacka-Karlsson

Banned

Speaking of ironic, VATD wishes to engage in critical thinking. I do not think that term means what you think it means - if your posts heretofore are any indication.
    Kind of like how you engage in "moderation" with your charming "my way or the highway" approach and no clue what the concept even means.