Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: Obama Distraction

Dobber Sports Deity

Default Re: Obama Distraction

You are entitled to your opinion but I think you are wrong.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Star

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    You are entitled to your opinion but I think you are wrong.
    Welp, that's the way she goes sometimes. Anybody else with an opinion around here?

Dobber Sports Stud

I gave mine but it must have sucked 'caus no one said anything....hahah
    16 Team Dynasty Weekly H2H Fantrax (starters in bold)

G A P +/- PIM SOG PPP H+B FOW --- W SV SV% GAA SO

(C) Krejci, Spezza, Koivo, Statsny Faksa
    (LW) Zetterberg, Duclair, Ehlers, M Domi Belesky, M Martin
    (RW) Pastrnak, Oshie, Larkin, Toffoli S Reinhart, Brouwer
    (D) J Honka, Seabrook, Goligoski, D DeKeyser, Vatanen, Parayko L Schenn, S Johns
    (G) Ward, Lack

Prospects- W Nylander, C Dvorak, I Barbashev, C White, T Rattie, M Dal Colle, A Mantha, R Barber, L Crouse, M Barzal, C Keller, L Brown, C Fischer, B Point, J Forsbacka-Karlsson

Dobber Sports Ace

I agree with you forumname, the American political machine will use anything and everything to further its cause and get re-elected. Not saying there was some huge smoke screen in this particular case, but to not see that this is a frequent tactic is extremely naive.

Dobber Sports Guru

Quote Originally Posted by forumname View Post
    And I don't doubt that pressure is a factor, but do you guys really believe that the government doesn't see value in a distracted public and use that to their advantage?
    This I agree with. I heard at one point, when a government official in England heard about 9/11, they starting sending out their major bad news to the media, knowing it wouldn't be covered in detail and that people wouldn't focus on it.

It's why politicians put bad news press releases/press conferences on Friday afternoon. Because people stop following the news on the weekend, and by the time Monday rolls around, people have forgotten. Whereas if you release the bad news on Monday morning, you'll be hammered by the media and the public all week.

That said, I think Robin Williams is a bit different than some of the actors listed later (Taylor, Hoffman, etc.). Williams is a superstar movie actor that pretty much everyone in North America recognized. No offence to the others, but I don't think the majority of people could recognize Lou Reed or Philip Seymour Hoffman.

Writer of the weekly Top 10 column.

12-team Keeper pool, straight points for forwards & dmen. Goalies get: 2 points per win, 3 per shutout, 1 point per assist & 1 point per shootout loss.

League champ in 2013, 2015, 2018, 2020 and 2022.

Top 8 forwards, 5 dmen and 2 goalies count.

We keep 15 players (any position) plus two rookies.

Forwards: Panarin, Ovechkin, Kopitar, Stamkos, Tuch, Rust, Marchessault, Pavelski, Miller, Bertuzzi, Stone, Kakko, Brown, Stankoven, Kovalenko
    Defence: Hedman, Fox, Matheson, Thrun, Jiricek
    Goalies: Kochetkov, Talbot, Vasilevskiy, Campbell, Schmid

Dobber Sports Grand Master

I actually think you're being pretty narrow-minded forumname.

Relating foreign policy to the death of a beloved public figure ("he's mourning the death of one while signing off on the death of others") that have nothing to do with each other. If someone was planning to bomb your house, would you rather let them do it or do it to them first?

Every government, politician, public figure in the world uses distractions to pass through unpopular legislation. Thats not just a US or North American thing. To say "he's mourning the death of one person and signing off on the death of others and its ironic and shouldn't happen" is extremely narrow-minded and not considering the current global political landscape, nor are you considering the current military/threat global landscape.

Dobber Sports Ninja

I don't see that there is any connection at all. There are any number of reasons why Obama might have commented on Robin Williams' passing. The reason why it happened, or maybe that he's a big fan, or maybe that he realizes his broad appeal to people. Obama is not just a statesman, but also a person that might have a connection to the type of movies that Robin was in.

The guy should be allowed to say a nice thing about a guy who just passed away and who a great number of people felt "connected" to, without criticizing him for doing so.

Dobber Sports Star

Quote Originally Posted by doulos View Post
    Obama is not just a statesman, but also a person that might have a connection to the type of movies that Robin was in.
    Everything else aside, if you think Obama wrote that statement and made the decision to publicize it all on his own accord, you are out to lunch.

---

I'm aware that america isn't the only country to use distraction tactics, but that obviously doesn't make it okay. What bothers me is that some people (in this thread included) just assume that the US is above this type of thing. Hence the comment about being narrow-minded. The underlying problem is that everybody always thinks they are the good guy, and I would argue that north americans may be more guilty of this than anyone.

Dobber Sports Ninja

You've made your mind up on the reasons why this happened and don't seem too interested in why people disagree with you, so why did you bother posting this thread?

Dobber Sports Star

Quote Originally Posted by doulos View Post
    You've made your mind up on the reasons why this happened and don't seem too interested in why people disagree with you, so why did you bother posting this thread?
    Yeesh. I've softened my stance on the Williams part of the argument, conceding that other factors are at play. It could very well be reaching, but the majority of my argument focuses on the fact that those types of things do happen. From my perspective I've been more flexible and open-minded than most in this thread, but maybe that's not the case?

People sure get touchy when you question their beliefs...

Dobber Sports Ace

Quote Originally Posted by rataylor22 View Post
    "he's mourning the death of one person and signing off on the death of others"
    It is befitting that a Noble Peace Prize winner mourns the death of one person.
    Like most (all?) politicians Obama is a hypocrite.

Dobber Sports Star

To answer your question, the reason I started this thread was because of the backlash I got for bringing it up in the first place. I was met with:

"Obama created the flooding in Michigan yesterday. Damn you Obama! I shake my fist at you! *fist shaking*"

"If you don't like Obama, I get it. But to accuse him of using this tragic incident to try to deflect the attention away from him, is pretty sad..."

I wanted to clarify that I obviously don't think Obama put Williams up to it, but it would not surprise me in the least if his administration sees such events as an opportunity.

Not surprisingly, my comment was deleted while the rebuttals remained...

Everything else aside, if you think Obama wrote that statement and made the decision to publicize it all on his own accord, you are out to lunch.

---

I'm aware that america isn't the only country to use distraction tactics, but that obviously doesn't make it okay. What bothers me is that some people (in this thread included) just assume that the US is above this type of thing. Hence the comment about being narrow-minded. The underlying problem is that everybody always thinks they are the good guy, and I would argue that north americans may be more guilty of this than anyone.
    Obama could feed the world and your ilk would blame him for overpopulation. Point being, you'll adhere to your foregone conclusion despite any evidence indicating otherwise. Why bother having this pointless discussion?
    @SmittysRant

Dobber Sports Grand Master

To answer your question, the reason I started this thread was because of the backlash I got for bringing it up in the first place. I was met with:

"Obama created the flooding in Michigan yesterday. Damn you Obama! I shake my fist at you! *fist shaking*"

"If you don't like Obama, I get it. But to accuse him of using this tragic incident to try to deflect the attention away from him, is pretty sad..."

I wanted to clarify that I obviously don't think Obama put Williams up to it, but it would not surprise me in the least if his administration sees such events as an opportunity.

Not surprisingly, my comment was deleted while the rebuttals remained...
    Just everything in the world is a conspiracy hey? I bet Obama himself deleted your comment so nobody would find out.

Dobber Sports Demi-God

My contribution to this thread: