Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: New Game of Thrones Book - Not what you think...

Dobber Sports Ninja

Default New Game of Thrones Book - Not what you think...

So here's one of the reasons why George RR Martin has been taking so long on Winds of Winter (Book 6).

http://www.amazon.com/The-World-Ice-...ame+of+thrones

The greedy bastard is too busy milking the franchise for every penny instead of focusing on advancing the core storyline.

Having said that... Can't wait to buy this lol

Dobber Sports Veteran

Default Re: New Game of Thrones Book - Not what you think...

I loved how pissy he got when people started suggesting he would die before he finished the series.

I will almost certainly read this, but I won't be buying it...
    18 Team Full Keeper. Total points.

Start 10 F, 3 D, 1 UTIL, 1 G

3 Points: SHO, 2 Points: G, PPA, SHG, SHA, W, 1 Point: A, PPG, GWG, .25 Points: BLK, .1 Points: FOW, SOG, SV, .15 Points: HIT, -.05 Points: FOL, -.15 Points: GA

Forwards: Backstrom, Barre-Boulet, Beauvillier, Caufield, Dickinson, Donato, Donskoi, Gourde, Greenway, Horvat, Kase, Keller, Kuznetsov, MacKinnon, Marchessault, J. T. Miller, Sikura, Tarasenko, Zegras

Defense: Barrie, Brannstrom, Cholowski, Honka, Matheson, Pulock, Shattenkirk

Goal: Dubnyk, Jarry, Markstrom, Merzlikins

2014-15, 2016-17 MHL Champions!

Dobber Sports Ace

so when is book 6 out then?

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by Savvy1982 View Post
    I loved how pissy he got when people started suggesting he would die before he finished the series.
    LOL - to be fair... dude doesn't look like he's in the healthiest shape. If I were his agent, I'd be hiring a full time trainer and nutritionist for him STAT.

From a recent article:

Fans of the more adult A Song of Ice and Fire are currently waiting for George RR Martin – who is notoriously slow at writing - to finish Winds of Winter.

Last month, the sexagenarian hit back at concerns posed to him during an interview that he might die before finishing the Westeros saga, and said he found the question “pretty offensive”.

“I find that question pretty offensive, frankly, when people start speculating as to my death and my health.
    “So, f*** you to those people,” he added, gesturing at the camera with his middle-finger.

Dobber Sports Demi-God

GRRM certainly seems to have burned out... after releasing the first three (GoT, CoK, SoS within 5 years... it was then 4 years until FfC and then 7 years to ADWD!).
    I actually just ripped through the three Dunk & Egg novellas in the last month.

This project looks more like a "collection of everything".
    http://www.socialbookshelves.com/blo...thrones-cover/
    And it's probably mostly put together by the two other names (Garcia & Antonsson) based on them getting name recognition.

I read recently that he introduces an average (average!) of 500 characters per book!
    Holy cow!

I just finished my 2nd watch-through of the first 3 seasons of HBO.
    And I'm mid book on Feast for Crows, which is the worst read of the five released ASOIAF books, from all I've heard (and it's definitely way below the first three, which is the original "First Two" of his intended "Three-Book" plan... which is now going towards six or seven or eight.)

Regardless, I'll probably jump on this too.
    Besides fantasy hockey, theorizing on the "end game" of ASOIAF is one of my favourite things to discuss.

A chrono-list of his Westeros work... pretty evident where he burnt out... around 2000.

1996 - A Game of Thrones (asoiaf, Book 1)
    1998 - A Clash of Kings (asoiaf, Book 2)
    1998 - The Hedge Knight (Dunk & Egg #1)
    2000 - A Storm of Swords (asoiaf, Book 3)
    2003 - The Sword Sword (Dunk & Egg #2)
    2005 - A Feast for Crows (asoiaf, Book 4)
    2010 - The Mystery Knight (Dunk & Egg #3)
    2011 - A Dance with Dragons (asoiaf, Book 5)
    2014 - Westeros (Oct release)

ps. Still no even "hinted" release year (year!!!) for Winds of Winter!!!

Dobber Sports Stud

im bored with the show already....it will get canceled before it actually finishes you mark my words....
    16 Team Dynasty Weekly H2H Fantrax (starters in bold)

G A P +/- PIM SOG PPP H+B FOW --- W SV SV% GAA SO

(C) Krejci, Spezza, Koivo, Statsny Faksa
    (LW) Zetterberg, Duclair, Ehlers, M Domi Belesky, M Martin
    (RW) Pastrnak, Oshie, Larkin, Toffoli S Reinhart, Brouwer
    (D) J Honka, Seabrook, Goligoski, D DeKeyser, Vatanen, Parayko L Schenn, S Johns
    (G) Ward, Lack

Prospects- W Nylander, C Dvorak, I Barbashev, C White, T Rattie, M Dal Colle, A Mantha, R Barber, L Crouse, M Barzal, C Keller, L Brown, C Fischer, B Point, J Forsbacka-Karlsson

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by STLblues View Post
    im bored with the show already....it will get canceled before it actually finishes you mark my words....
    No way... it's too wildly popular in the general media now to ever get cancelled. The next 5 seasons can be utter flops and will still command a loyal, rabid following.

That's what happens when you reach cult status - you can afford to be terrible and still bring in billions. Just look at Twilight.

ps: the show is incredible.

Dobber Sports Demi-God

I agree... the show will be fine.
    Especially since they'll have to switch locations - there'll just be all kinds of new sex scenes with new sexy characters to keep their "fan base".

I mean... Arianne Martell.
    Va-va-voom.

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by STLblues View Post
    You are in the stark minority.
    Follow me on Twitter@SteveLaidlaw

https://image.ibb.co/k3o8Sa/dobber_banner_sig.jpg

Dobber Sports Wizard

I love the show and can't wait for the next season but no way am I investing time in the books too. Especially knowing where they are headed.
    I can't promise I'll try but I'll try to try.

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Quote Originally Posted by metaldude26 View Post
    You are in the stark minority.
    I see what you did there.
    Theon and Jon are not impressed.

Dobber Sports Ninja

Ok, so honest answer here folks. I read the first two books and I enjoyed them but I could see that every single character was going to get slaughtered by the end. Is there any hope of there being even a remote 'warm and fuzzy' ending to this series? I'd really like to plug through and read the whole series, but if it's just going to be one long and giant fantasy version of Cormac McCarthy's 'The Road', which makes you want to throw yourself off a bridge, then I just can't do it.

Can anyone who is really in on this series throw me a bone here?

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Pengwin7 View Post
    I see what you did there.
    Theon and Jon are not impressed.

Oh god. I feel so dirty. I honestly didn't even mean to do that.
    Follow me on Twitter@SteveLaidlaw

https://image.ibb.co/k3o8Sa/dobber_banner_sig.jpg

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by doulos View Post
    Ok, so honest answer here folks. I read the first two books and I enjoyed them but I could see that every single character was going to get slaughtered by the end. Is there any hope of there being even a remote 'warm and fuzzy' ending to this series? I'd really like to plug through and read the whole series, but if it's just going to be one long and giant fantasy version of Cormac McCarthy's 'The Road', which makes you want to throw yourself off a bridge, then I just can't do it.

Can anyone who is really in on this series throw me a bone here?
    *Spoiler Alert*

I think the single biggest reason the books have been so successful is because of the unpredictability surrounding the characters' fates. It angers us, it hurts us, but above all, it keeps us coming back for more.

You don't have that sense of permanence and invincibility that is typically associated with main characters in traditional novels. Right from the get go, Bran is positioned as a prominent character and then a few chapters in he gets pushed out a window and fades out for a while. Ned Stark emerges as the clear protagonist of the story - the voice of reason and only figure who appears capable of justice - and he gets his head chopped off out of nowhere in the most un-just way imaginable. Anyone can die at any time, and yes - there are a LOT of deaths. I love the unpredictability. The deaths are a necessary evil for the story to remain gripping and compelling. If you can't handle that, or would rather be led down a predictable, feel-good path, then I suggest you move on.

Having said that, I really do believe there will be a "warm and fuzzy" ending to the series when all is said and done. There are also well-timed, small emotional victories along the way as well to keep us sane.

Martin has a plan. You'll just have to wait another 5-6 years to find out

Dobber Sports Ninja

That's probably good enough for me. I don't care if they slaughter 99% of the people I am invested in as long as the end I can yell at the book and feel like somehow the 'good guys' (even if that is defined as this ugly shade of black/grey that is only marginally more faded than the 'evil side) win.