Thread: Family feuds

Dobber Sports Master

Default Family feuds

First Round Pick mentioned in another thread that he is an Avs fans, but his two sons liked the Flames and Capitals respectively. I am sure that makes for some lively discussion / family feuding when two of those teams face each other.

And it got me thinking about my own family. It isn't too bad in my immediate family as my son, aged 10, likes the Maple Leafs like me (I did dress him in blue and white a lot as a baby).

My four brothers, however, all have (mostly) different preferences. One likes the Edmonton Oilers, one likes the Boston Bruins and his wife likes the Vancouver Canucks (great fun during the 2011 Stanley Cup Finals; my brother wisely kept his mouth shut for the most part, LOL), one likes the Los Angeles Kings, and the youngest cheers on the Leafs like me. It has made for some playful, and sometimes incessant, chirping. Like for instance, two years ago, when it seemed like the Leafs were about to eliminate the Bruins from the Stanley Cup playoffs, I texted brother #2, the Bruins fan, about his team's imminent demise. We know how that ended, and he likes to remind me about it often.

My point, is there anyone out there who enjoys a good "team loyalty" rivalry with siblings, spouses, parents, friends or neighbours they would like to share.

Hey, it is a slow hockey day...

Bottleneckers (12/16 in 2022)
    16 team, points only. G: 2-W, 4-SO.
    Top 9F, 4D & 1G . Keep 15, Max 23
    F: J. Robertson, J. Hughes, Tavares, Lafreniere, Cozens, Newhook, Teravainen, Domi, R. Strome, Laine, Rossi, Raymond, Holtz, Perfetti
    D: Bouchard, McAvoy, Morrissey, Heiskanen
    G: Vasilevskiy

Dobber Sports Deity

Default Re: Family feuds

I have been an Oilers fan for years and some of my close cousins are Flames fans (a couple of them actually live in Calgary) so its always fun chirping back and forth with them on facebook and texts. We always let each other know when the next Battle of Alberta is coming up and the fun usually goes on for days afterwards.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, SBennett

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Stud

My father was a Bruins fan, my brother is a Leafs fan and I'm a Kings fan.

My brother also has a nasty habit of cheering against any team playing the Kings, so even when there was no danger this year I was getting very annoying texts from him constantly.

Dobber Sports Master

Quote Originally Posted by petegreg21 View Post
    My father was a Bruins fan, my brother is a Leafs fan and I'm a Kings fan.

My brother also has a nasty habit of cheering against any team playing the Kings, so even when there was no danger this year I was getting very annoying texts from him constantly.
    You did get the last laugh though, didn't you?

F: J. Robertson, J. Hughes, Tavares, Lafreniere, Cozens, Newhook, Teravainen, Domi, R. Strome, Laine, Rossi, Raymond, Holtz, Perfetti

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by The Bottlenecker View Post
    You did get the last laugh though, didn't you?
    I did yes, but I also had to deal with a lot of his crap this year haha. In round 2 I remember the morning after game 4 (when the Ducks tied the series 2-2) he called me, started chanting "Quack... Quack... QUACK! QUACK! QUACK!" then hung up. That was his thing until about 5 minutes into game 7

Dobber Sports Master

Quote Originally Posted by petegreg21 View Post
    I did yes, but I also had to deal with a lot of his crap this year haha. In round 2 I remember the morning after game 4 (when the Ducks tied the series 2-2) he called me, started chanting "Quack... Quack... QUACK! QUACK! QUACK!" then hung up. That was his thing until about 5 minutes into game 7
    I have an uncle who is a Habs fan, and for ten years while he lived in Calgary (late 80s into the mid 90s) he would call every time the Leafs would get eliminated from playoff contention and just laugh. Literally, I would pick up the phone, cause I knew it was for me, and he would laugh for thirty seconds, then hang up... Bastard!

Dobber Sports Ninja

My kids are not quite at the point where they are real fans of hockey teams, but my daughter likes to cheer against the Oilers (my team) just for kicks.

When I was younger (the 80s) my grandfather (who was a Flames fan) and I would call one another after any game the Oilers/Flames would play. Whoever had their team win the game would call the other one just to basically mock them for a few moments and then hang up. We did it for years. Great memories!

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by The Bottlenecker View Post
    I have an uncle who is a Habs fan, and for ten years while he lived in Calgary (late 80s into the mid 90s) he would call every time the Leafs would get eliminated from playoff contention and just laugh. Literally, I would pick up the phone, cause I knew it was for me, and he would laugh for thirty seconds, then hang up... Bastard!
    You sat through all 30 seconds of it?
    I would have just stopped taking his calls.
    18 Team Full Keeper. Total points.

Start 10 F, 3 D, 1 UTIL, 1 G

3 Points: SHO, 2 Points: G, PPA, SHG, SHA, W, 1 Point: A, PPG, GWG, .25 Points: BLK, .1 Points: FOW, SOG, SV, .15 Points: HIT, -.05 Points: FOL, -.15 Points: GA

Forwards: Backstrom, Barre-Boulet, Beauvillier, Caufield, Dickinson, Donato, Donskoi, Gourde, Greenway, Horvat, Kase, Keller, Kuznetsov, MacKinnon, Marchessault, J. T. Miller, Sikura, Tarasenko, Zegras

Defense: Barrie, Brannstrom, Cholowski, Honka, Matheson, Pulock, Shattenkirk

Goal: Dubnyk, Jarry, Markstrom, Merzlikins

2014-15, 2016-17 MHL Champions!

Dobber Sports Master

Quote Originally Posted by Savvy1982 View Post
    You sat through all 30 seconds of it?
    I would have just stopped taking his calls.
    It was part of the deal. On the rarer occasion the Habs didn't make it, or were eliminated, he had to put up with my 30 seconds of laughter. It was what we had to do.

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Habs fans all across my family. With one exception.

My grand dad, god bless his soul, was a Nordique fan. My mon told me one Christmas, my dad and my uncle teased him so much they made him cry. Poor bastard.
    H2H Daily 12 Team League, 7 Keepers
    Start 3C, 3 LW, 3 RW, 4D, 2G
    G, A, +/-, SOG, PPP, PIM, HIT, BLK, W, L, GAA, SV%, SHO

2014-15 Champion

C- Tavares, Krejci, Trocheck
    LW- Hall, Lee, Guentzel (C), Lucic, Skinner, Marchessault (C)
    RW- Lindholm (C), Radulov, Nylander (C), Arvidsson,
    D- Weber, Provorov, Klingberg, Hamilton
    G- Bishop, Lehner, Mrazek

Farm: Zacha, Bjork

Not too many people in the family are super into hockey, my sister doesn't get into it!
    My Dad has been a Hawks fan for as long as he can remember, quick cool story!

He had just got his '365' license back in the day (1976 to be exact) and took his little brother (My Uncle) down to the gardens to watch their uncle play (Cliff Koroll), They usually got tickets when the Hawks were in the area and they ended up chatting with a couple of the guys afterwards and it carried on for so long that a bunch of the guys from the Hawks missed their bus back to the Royal York Hotel! My Dad actually left his brother at the gardens so he could drive Koroll, Esposito, Hull and Mikita to the hotel! I remember hearing the story and seeing pictures at a very young age and although Cliff never lived close to us I have still been able to keep in touch over the years!

I have been slowly bribing my wife into becoming a Hawks fan. I took her to a Blackhawks game on HER birthday (Only game they played in Toronto that season) and she loved it but then told me that one day on my birthday we had to do something that SHE wanted to do haha!

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by dooley89 View Post
    Not too many people in the family are super into hockey, my sister doesn't get into it!
    My Dad has been a Hawks fan for as long as he can remember, quick cool story!

He had just got his '365' license back in the day (1976 to be exact) and took his little brother (My Uncle) down to the gardens to watch their uncle play (Cliff Koroll), They usually got tickets when the Hawks were in the area and they ended up chatting with a couple of the guys afterwards and it carried on for so long that a bunch of the guys from the Hawks missed their bus back to the Royal York Hotel! My Dad actually left his brother at the gardens so he could drive Koroll, Esposito, Hull and Mikita to the hotel! I remember hearing the story and seeing pictures at a very young age and although Cliff never lived close to us I have still been able to keep in touch over the years!

I have been slowly bribing my wife into becoming a Hawks fan. I took her to a Blackhawks game on HER birthday (Only game they played in Toronto that season) and she loved it but then told me that one day on my birthday we had to do something that SHE wanted to do haha!

LOL! Awesome story.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, SBennett

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."