Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Coffee

Dobber Sports Wizard

Default Re: Coffee

Quote Originally Posted by Atomic Wedgy View Post
    I don't want to offend anyone, but if you are getting your coffee at Timmys or MacDs and you like it, you don't yet understand what a good coffee is. Good coffee ain't for everyone. Some folks don't want to pay more for a good coffee. Some people won't pay more for a good beer or a good wine. I personally don't understand the menatality. You get what you pay for. It only takes a few tries to understand the difference.

There is a science and a methodology to making good coffee. It starts with good product and it ends with a skilled barista.
    Amen. I'm willing to sacrifice other things to have the money to pursue higher-end coffee, beer, and spirits. It takes time and effort to able to truly appreciate all the nuances in these drinks, but the end result is well worth the investment.

I've also noticed, at least for me, that the pursuit of quality has led to a reduction in quantity. In the end if you take that approach, quality before quantity, the difference in money spent is negligible at best. Yes, the coffee I buy now is north of $12USD for 12oz, but at the end of the year I spend less than $25 more per/year because what I drink is so satisfying that I don't feel the need consume as much.

I know I can't afford to drink 2 pots/day of coffee at the price it would cost. But the trade off is each and every cup is infinitely better tasting, more complex in flavor, and more rewarding for it. It comes down to what your motivation for drinking coffee is. If it's solely the caffeine jolt then by all means grab Maxwell House or Folgers, Starbucks or Timmy's, that's why they exist.

Starbucks can try all they want to say that they produce high-end coffee, but at the end of the day they're just up-jumped Maxwell House. Search out your local mom-'n-pop coffee shops and approach with an open mind and you will be richly rewarded. Yeah there's a snobbish element that congregates at, in some cases works at, those type of places but ignore them and focus on the drink instead. Bliss awaits.

On to the main point of this post. The lone saving grace of the hell-hole I currently call home is a place called PT's Coffee. Hard to believe this shitwater burg has a top-10 nationally ranked coffee roaster, but thank god it does. Check them out, they ship outside the US but those outside the lower 48 will have to call to order I do believe.

PT's has loads of single-origin, direct-sourced coffee from all over the world. Agoodburn, PT's has a green Yirgacheffe from Ethiopia that may interest you. I buy my beans already roasted so I can't say much about the green variation, but the roasted Yirgacheffe I get from them is killer good. They also have a Fazenda Rainha from Brazil that is what I'm currently drinking that is also available green.

Dobber Sports Ninja

I'd like to taste some of this real fancy monkey pooped coffee I hear about and see if it's really any good.

Dobber Sports Sage

Quote Originally Posted by NoWayOut View Post
    Amen. I'm willing to sacrifice other things to have the money to pursue higher-end coffee, beer, and spirits. It takes time and effort to able to truly appreciate all the nuances in these drinks, but the end result is well worth the investment.
    Keep in mind, people can drink a lot of coffee in a day while alcohol is drank, mostly, in moderation. I pay for premium beer and scotch which I drink in moderation on the weekends but my daily coffee is the "cheap" Folgers.

And you talk about a reduction in quantity- I don't want to drink less coffee. Hell, I already quit smoking!! I drink coffee throughout my day and it is something I look forward to. I don't want to lessen that by drinking a couple cups of higher quality coffee. 2 pots of coffee a day is standard in my house and there is no way I want to decrease that amount or pay to drink that much of premium roasts.
    10 Team, 60 Player Roster
    G, A, PTS, PPP, PIM, BLKs, Hits, +/-, Shots, W, GAA, SV%, Saves
    C- JHughes, Trocheck, RThomas, Zegras, Norris, Bennett, PLD, Stephenson, Danualt
    RW- Raymond, Stone, TWilson, Toffoli, KJohnson, Nyqvist, Zary
    LW- Keller, Schmaltz, Bunting, Skinner, Barbashev, Duclair
    D- QHughes, McAvoy, Doughty, Heiskanen, LHughes, Mintyukov
    G- Shesterkin, Demko, Andersen, Kahkonen, Levi, Tarasov, Annunen

Notable Prospects- Nikishin, Kulich, Leonard, Wood, Perreault, Lekkermaki, Ostlund, Othmman, REvans, L-Heureux, Ivanov, Murashov

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

I've also noticed, at least for me, that the pursuit of quality has led to a reduction in quantity. In the end if you take that approach, quality before quantity, the difference in money spent is negligible at best. Yes, the coffee I buy now is north of $12USD for 12oz, but at the end of the year I spend less than $25 more per/year because what I drink is so satisfying that I don't feel the need consume as much.

I know I can't afford to drink 2 pots/day of coffee at the price it would cost. But the trade off is each and every cup is infinitely better tasting, more complex in flavor, and more rewarding for it. It comes down to what your motivation for drinking coffee is. If it's solely the caffeine jolt then by all means grab Maxwell House or Folgers, Starbucks or Timmy's, that's why they exist.

Starbucks can try all they want to say that they produce high-end coffee, but at the end of the day they're just up-jumped Maxwell House. Search out your local mom-'n-pop coffee shops and approach with an open mind and you will be richly rewarded. Yeah there's a snobbish element that congregates at, in some cases works at, those type of places but ignore them and focus on the drink instead. Bliss awaits.

On to the main point of this post. The lone saving grace of the hell-hole I currently call home is a place called PT's Coffee. Hard to believe this shitwater burg has a top-10 nationally ranked coffee roaster, but thank god it does. Check them out, they ship outside the US but those outside the lower 48 will have to call to order I do believe.

PT's has loads of single-origin, direct-sourced coffee from all over the world. Agoodburn, PT's has a green Yirgacheffe from Ethiopia that may interest you. I buy my beans already roasted so I can't say much about the green variation, but the roasted Yirgacheffe I get from them is killer good. They also have a Fazenda Rainha from Brazil that is what I'm currently drinking that is also available green.
    He looks like he has a decent selection, you're lucky to have him in your hometown.
    12 team, yahoo H2H Daily starts, keep 10
    G,A,+/-,Hits,PPP,SHP,SOG. W,SV%,SV,GAA,SHO
    2C,2LW,2RW,1Util,4D,2G
    C-RNH,
    LW-Benn,Kane, Drouin
    RW-Kessel,Ovechkin, Simmonds
    D-
    G-Lundqvist, Howard Gibson

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by Daydream Nation View Post
    Keep in mind, people can drink a lot of coffee in a day while alcohol is drank, mostly, in moderation. I pay for premium beer and scotch which I drink in moderation on the weekends but my daily coffee is the "cheap" Folgers.

And you talk about a reduction in quantity- I don't want to drink less coffee. Hell, I already quit smoking!! I drink coffee throughout my day and it is something I look forward to. I don't want to lessen that by drinking a couple cups of higher quality coffee. 2 pots of coffee a day is standard in my house and there is no way I want to decrease that amount or pay to drink that much of premium roasts.
    And if quantity is your thing I say enjoy. I still can't fathom that, but then again it's all personal preference.

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by agoodburn View Post
    He looks like he has a decent selection, you're lucky to have him in your hometown.
    Yeah they have a fantastic array of standards and seasonal offerings. After I finish the current one I have an Indonesian one to try. Haven't had any from that part of the world and I'm looking forward to giving it a go.

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Yeah they have a fantastic array of standards and seasonal offerings. After I finish the current one I have an Indonesian one to try. Haven't had any from that part of the world and I'm looking forward to giving it a go.
    Indonesian area I have found is typically more of an earthy flavour, it will be distinct from anything you've had before.
    12 team, yahoo H2H Daily starts, keep 10
    G,A,+/-,Hits,PPP,SHP,SOG. W,SV%,SV,GAA,SHO
    2C,2LW,2RW,1Util,4D,2G
    C-RNH,
    LW-Benn,Kane, Drouin
    RW-Kessel,Ovechkin, Simmonds
    D-
    G-Lundqvist, Howard Gibson

Dobber Sports Master

If you can get your hands on authentic North Vietnamese butter roast coffee... Do it. Best...coffee...ever! That coffee is like the Gretzky of coffee.

Dobber Sports Expert

Quote Originally Posted by SeaDawg View Post
    best coffee I've ever had was Blue Mountain from Jamaica...I also really enjoy Kona coffee from Hawaii. I think there is something about the volcanic soil that gives those coffees a real special flavor.
    A quick response on my coffee habits with a small reflection on SeaDawg's post. I used to drink a lot of coffee in university for studying purposes and simply because I like to be active-ish while doing something as it helps me to focus. That seems odd as it's written but it really is the truth. Also my eclectic group of friends and I would often go to Tim Hortons to debate and have discussions to get out of the house and bond. I recall most of our visits being in the four hour range and when we left, the table would be littered with cups. Around this time I felt the effects of being addicted to coffee as I would often get headaches when I didn't drink it so I decided to lay off my coffee habits.

Currently I have maybe 3-4 cups of coffee a week when I feel I want to relax and enjoy a hot beverage. I avoid the coffee in the morning routine and try to keep hydrated with water mostly during the day. I only drink Tim's on the rarest of occasions with McDonald's coffee being my "fast food" coffee go to. I remember in the past McDonald's coffee was pretty much the nastiest alternative to Tim's but over time the tides of java have changed. I can't stand Starbucks, simply as I refuse to buy into the experience or whatever the hell it is they are trying to offer. Also, I like going to a coffee shop where they don't look at me like a weirdo if I order a plain, simple old cup of J. I agree with SeaDawg in that Blue Mountain coffee from Jamaica has been the best coffee to date that I have tried. I like it so much that I bought multiple bags during a recent vacation to Jamaica.

I do not roast my own beans but that seems mighty interesting as it fits my coffee preference in that whole beans are the best. I choose to grind my own beans (right before I brew) as I feel that this really offers the best in taste and flavour. I also have played around with grinding such as not grinding fully, warming the beans a bit to sweat out any oils etc to see if it has any effects on the taste etc. I am not familiar with roasting and I assume you would have to do this outside of the home?
    73M Cap, Partial Keeper: 4F(ANY) 2D, 2G, Year : H2H Daily 2C/2LW/2RW/1F/4D/2G, 16 Teams

Pro

C: Eichel Seguin
    LW: Ovechkin, Lee
    RW: Marner, Palmieri Buchnevich, Simmonds
    D: Karlsson Byfuglien, Petry, Muzzin
    G: Rask, Murray Jarry

Farm (Max 200 GP):
    C. White, Vrana, Hischier, Sikura, DeSmith

Stat Categories

Skaters
    FOW(.1) G(4) A(3) PPG(1.5) PPA(1) SHG(3) SHA(2) GWG(1) SOG(.2) +-(1) PIMS(.1) BLK(.2) HIT(.2)
    Goalies
    W(6) L(-1) SHO(5) SV(0.1) GA(-0.2) GAA(Range of -1 to 8) SV%(Range of -1 to 8)
    Twitter:@RogerWi1co

Dobber Sports Expert

Quote Originally Posted by doulos View Post
    I can't speak to your specific case, because maybe you fall into the very small number of people who can actually tell the difference, but don't underestimate the power of marketing and the brain playing tricks.
    I did the blind taste and could tell the difference. I actually have a very heightened sense of smell which I think has an effect on my ability to discern very subtle tastes when it hits my palate. I honestly have no idea on the science behind it. I am not a taste tester or anything of the sort however I have found this to be the case with anything, such as wines, different craft beers, pipe tabaccos etc. But as it pertains to Coke and Pepsi there is actually a very distinct flavour and also how it "goes down," but that is just from my experience.
    73M Cap, Partial Keeper: 4F(ANY) 2D, 2G, Year : H2H Daily 2C/2LW/2RW/1F/4D/2G, 16 Teams

Pro

C: Eichel Seguin
    LW: Ovechkin, Lee
    RW: Marner, Palmieri Buchnevich, Simmonds
    D: Karlsson Byfuglien, Petry, Muzzin
    G: Rask, Murray Jarry

Farm (Max 200 GP):
    C. White, Vrana, Hischier, Sikura, DeSmith

Stat Categories

Skaters
    FOW(.1) G(4) A(3) PPG(1.5) PPA(1) SHG(3) SHA(2) GWG(1) SOG(.2) +-(1) PIMS(.1) BLK(.2) HIT(.2)
    Goalies
    W(6) L(-1) SHO(5) SV(0.1) GA(-0.2) GAA(Range of -1 to 8) SV%(Range of -1 to 8)
    Twitter:@RogerWi1co

Dobber Sports Master

Okay, so you guys are going to force me to go look into the research on this. I am almost positive that despite what you think about the distinct taste, that the reality is people can't tell the difference and most of the taste difference comes from the brain being tricked by brand marketing.

However.

I could be completely wrong on this. So time to go see what I can find out.
    not to pile on , but I could taste difference between coke/pepsi quite easily whether blindfolded or not .

Dobber Sports Master

Quote Originally Posted by Atomic Wedgy View Post
    I don't want to offend anyone, but if you are getting your coffee at Timmys or MacDs and you like it, you don't yet understand what a good coffee is. Good coffee ain't for everyone. Some folks don't want to pay more for a good coffee. Some people won't pay more for a good beer or a good wine. I personally don't understand the menatality. You get what you pay for. It only takes a few tries to understand the difference.

There is a science and a methodology to making good coffee. It starts with good product and it ends with a skilled barista.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mqIZa3PTX6c

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Usually I don't post on weekends, but this is a pretty fun thread to read.

Three comments:

1. From the home of Coca-Cola, Atlanta G-A:
    Coke vs. Pepsi are two very distinctive flavors. The only people that can't differentiate simply don't know which is which. This is the "numbers" that can exist to trick a reader.
    But it's like asking me to taste two cheeses. If I don't know which is which, sure... one is better, they are different, but I'd be guessing to put a name on each one.
    re: Coke vs. Pepsi, if you were to ask somebody "Do these two products taste differently?", I'd bet you 'd get a 80%+ vote towards, "Yes, they are noticeably different".
    And if a testee knew Coke or Pepsi... I'd say they'd pick their bev with 95%+ accuracy.
    It's that noticeable... to even a moderate soda drinker.

2. re: Coffees.
    My "world" runs the range. I drink Dunkin' Donuts pre-ground at home (because its pretty cheap), I drink McD's on the road, I drink Timmy's while in Canada, and my wife drinks Starbucks - which we share the LARGE (whatever those well-to-dos call it) if she needs one. There is definitely a different taste between coffees, to the coffee drinker. Just like there is definitely a different taste to beers to the beer drinker and definitely a different taste to wines to the wine drinker. That's all there is to it... once your taste buds get some, they know the difference. Reminds me of a girl I once dated that compared Sex to Pizza and said... "Sex is like Pizza... even bad pizza is still good." I felt great shame after that.

3. Netflix "snail mail".
    HEY! No teasing.
    First off - we have Netflix Instant ($7/month, I think) and 2-Disc Snail Mail ($12/month, I think). NOBODY, and I mean NOBODY gets their money out of Netflix Instant like my family. My kids watch that all-day, better than TV because... no commercials = no "Mommy, I want that toy." Plus, we choose content. As for snail mail, with a 2-disc, 2-per-week cycle, we go through 16 discs per month = 192 discs per year.

I'd say our breakdown is:
    140 discs of HBO/Showtime series. And with about 5 discs per show-season, this means we can watch EVERYTHING on HBO/Showtime in a year for 140/192 x $12/mo x 12mo = ~$110.
    52 movies (maybe one per week, just finished HER and DALLAS BUYERS CLUB).

Now, for those parents out there, here's your options for catching New Releases Movies:
    1) Go to the Theater. Pay $15/each for ticket/bev. Plus 4 hours of babysitter @ $10. $70 for new movie.
    2) Wait for it to come out on Netflix and pay 1/8th of $12 2-Disc Monthly Charge = $1.50 for new (- 6months) movie.

$70 vs. $1.50
    Yes... snail mail...

(ps. Pengwin & Mrs. Pengwin are currently watching Masters of Sex. Mmmm... yes... and no, not available on Netflix Instant...)

Dobber Sports Ninja

Not worried about piling on, and over the past couple days I found some fascinating studies on the subject of brand preference, some of them related to Coke vs Pepsi, but also to other products. I had some vague recollections of what I thought was true from my introductory Psychology classes from years ago, but the information I remembered was not 100% reality (surprise, surprise, human memory is faulty)

It looks like initial studies done in the 60s showed that people could not tell the difference between the two products, but then then later tests showed that perhaps certain people could, but only those who drank a lot of the product.

That seemed to settle the issue for a while, but of course, as always with an issue like this, later science shed more light on it. 10 years ago there was some fascinating work done which carried out brain scans on people while they drank products that showed consistent neural responses based on brand preference. Really, really interesting work.

At the end of the day though, the question still isn't really answered as far as I can tell. There needs to be more work done on it, but it appears that people do 'think' they can tell the difference, their brains response differently based on what brand they 'think' they are drinking (and not on what they are actually drinking - which is the really cool part), but the jury is still out there on how well people can actually tell the difference between the two products.

I love this stuff!

Dobber Sports Sage

I'd like to taste some of this real fancy monkey pooped coffee I hear about and see if it's really any good.
    It's very good. Is it 2x-3x better than the "cheap" coffee that many of us drink? No
    10 Team, 60 Player Roster
    G, A, PTS, PPP, PIM, BLKs, Hits, +/-, Shots, W, GAA, SV%, Saves
    C- JHughes, Trocheck, RThomas, Zegras, Norris, Bennett, PLD, Stephenson, Danualt
    RW- Raymond, Stone, TWilson, Toffoli, KJohnson, Nyqvist, Zary
    LW- Keller, Schmaltz, Bunting, Skinner, Barbashev, Duclair
    D- QHughes, McAvoy, Doughty, Heiskanen, LHughes, Mintyukov
    G- Shesterkin, Demko, Andersen, Kahkonen, Levi, Tarasov, Annunen

Notable Prospects- Nikishin, Kulich, Leonard, Wood, Perreault, Lekkermaki, Ostlund, Othmman, REvans, L-Heureux, Ivanov, Murashov