Thread: Should I acquire Green AND Fowler

Dobber Sports Initiate

Default Should I acquire Green AND Fowler

THe GM that owns both is having money problems
    I may have some to spare.

He asked if I could make him a trade in helping him get rid of Greens contract which he backloaded...so

Green
    2014 - 6m
    2015 - 9m

For doing this, he is willing to give me Fowler back in the deal.

Greens +/- is horrid, and I am not sure if will get better, but the prospect of owning Fowler would help my D.

I want to 'win' this trade for sure.

Is there a deal that would make it worth it for me?

Would a Ryan for both be too much? Ryan's contract is 5m, so the cost wouldn't be much different for this year.

Any insights would be greatly appriciated.
    Salary Cap League:
    13 Team, G, A,+/-, W-2, OTL,SO-3
    30 max, 21 weekly active roster (12F, 7D, 2G)
    Note: Our league is 1 year behind in terms of available players and salary. Salary doesn't change for length of Pool contract.

Team:
    F-Trochek, Necas, J.T.Miller,McCann,Terry,Engvall, Zibanajed,mikhehev,GourdeHagel, Petterson,skinner
    D-
    Lindgren,Barrie,Forsling,.Morrisey,Aho,Ekblad,fabe r
    G-
    ,ulnarkSherstkin, Ned

(*) = Multi year deal

Default Re: Should I acquire Green AND Fowler

Bump...

C'mon peeps. No zero reply threeads allowed. Help a brother out.
    @SmittysRant

Dobber Sports Sage

OK. I am not a big Green fan at this point. His +/- is likely to rise quite a bit along with the rest of the Trotz-coached Caps. But I dont see him wearing a Washington sweater much longer, either. If you have oodles of cap room you could take him on as a risky high-upside play. Fowler is quite good in your system. Thats definitely the gem in the deal.

Not sure I can see Ryan doing much more than 55 points and a bad +/- on that Ottawa group. Even though he is a free agent and should have plenty of motivation, I am beginning to wonder if he is really all that great of a player.

Your D as a whole is pretty awful and badly in need of upgrades. Ryan looks expendable and is likely to see a huge cap hit increase next year as a UFA regardless of how he does this year. I can see some variation of this deal working out for you. Would definitely sell high on Green as soon as he puts up a nice stretch.

Banned

i'll take my chances with green + fowler for ryan.

green I think is gonna get a comeback season. Ryan and the sens look like garbage to me.

cap hit aside....

I predicted last year that Green wouldn't hit 40pts again, and I'm sticking to that. That said I like Fowler...a lot. He's coming into his own. Not as fast as we GMs hope but he's progressing nonetheless. I actually like Ryan for a bounce back year. I think he settles in after another full off season and gets his groove back

Again...just my take on the individual players w/out the cap hi consideration.

Gaining Fowler alone would be worth it imo...anything Green adds is butter on the noodle.
    @SmittysRant

Dobber Sports Stud

The whole "I'll give you Fowler for helping me" make you feel like you have to give him a quality player.

I'd offer up maybe Eller or Atkinson straight up for Green. He gets cap relief, you probably win the deal. He keeps Fowler, you keep Ryan.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by petegreg21 View Post
    The whole "I'll give you Fowler for helping me" make you feel like you have to give him a quality player.

I'd offer up maybe Eller or Atkinson straight up for Green. He gets cap relief, you probably win the deal. He keeps Fowler, you keep Ryan.
    This was my thought aswell. While I agree with Glatt that Ryan doesn't look all that great and Ottawa As a whole even worse...help the guy out by taking green and his contract off his hands. Edler for green is a perfect angle. Edler could bounce back but is essentially garbage with potential. Green may get hurt in game 1 and if so... Your left shouldering the same issue he's trying to did himself of. He's asking for help...take the risk reward but don't over pay...hell, don't pay at all.

Dobber Sports Initiate

So it's looking like he Ryan for both players could happen, and it would fill some holes where I need them

He did ask if I would be willing to give him Eriksson as well in some capacity, offered his 1st rounder(8th overall)

I immediately said no, but went back with something else

The full trade would be
    Ryan
    Eriksson
    for
    8th overall
    Wingels
    Fowler
    Green

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by NatureX View Post
    So it's looking like he Ryan for both players could happen, and it would fill some holes where I need them

He did ask if I would be willing to give him Eriksson as well in some capacity, offered his 1st rounder(8th overall)

I immediately said no, but went back with something else

The full trade would be
    Ryan
    Eriksson
    for
    8th overall
    Wingels
    Fowler
    Green
    Personally I'm not a fan of that at all. IMO worse than the Ryan for Green & Fowler original offer.

Dobber Sports Initiate

Yeah i agree

I told him no

I would still take the original gamble though

Thanks

Dobber Sports Sage

Can't say I like that new option given your scoring system is basically points-only and +/-. Eriksson has 70-point/+ 20 potential and Wingels is really just a grinder on a high-scoring team.

Dobber Sports Master

You should try to acquire Green, Ward and Letang. The Holy Trinity of Frustration! Seriously tho.... I'd rather not have Green on my team.

Dobber Sports Stud

I'm not getting this.

He needs to get rid of Green. You'd be doing him a favour. That means Green is to be attributed negative value in this equation.

In other words, you're supposed to give back a player worth less than Fowler.

Ryan is overpaying, IMO.