Thread: Keepers + Expansion

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Default Keepers + Expansion

Expansion.docExpansion.docHi guys,

I'm in a 8 team keeper points only league and we are getting 2 expansion for next year so we'll be 10. We usually protect 6 players, but for the expansions we will protect 3 players and when we get 1 player draft from our team, we can protect 1 additionnal player and if we get and 2nd player drafted we complete our 6 players.

I will certainly protect Stamkos, Seguin and Kessel so I guess that Kopitar will be taken from my team.

My question is who should I protect after ? I hesitate between Couture or Drouin. I'm not even sure that I will loose another player but it's hard to guess if one of the new guys will take a chance on Drouin.

I made a list of potential keepers for the other GM, but it's not official yet.

Points only

8 teams limited keeper (keep 6 )
    16 round draft - Unlimited Trades and waivers – 2 IR

Start : 12 F 6 D 2 G
    Points are : Forwards : G – A = 1 pt
    D-Man : G = 2 pts A = 1 pt
    Goalies W = 2 pts SO = 3pts

F - S.Stamkos, T. Seguin, P.Kessel, A. Kopitar, L.Couture, J. Neal, J. Voracek,
    J. VanRiemsdyk, J. Carter, T. Bozak, M. Granlund, M. Lucic, J. Schwartz, J. Drouin
    D - N.Kronwall, M.Niskanen, T. Barrie, R.Josi, M. Giordano, C. Fowler
    G - A.Niemi, R. Miller

Dobber Sports Genius

Default Re: Keepers + Expansion

Sucks to have to lose some of these guys. I'd protect Drouin, but if you're in a win now mode, Couture would be your safest bet to keep. How do you know that Kopitar will be taken first from your team? Can they draft anyone from your team? Maybe they target Drouin first...
    Hockey Pools? Too many to mention. Points only, salary cap and dynasty.

Good call on your keepers, if Kopitar is indeed taken first I would protect Drouin next personally.
    Obviously if anyone else gets taken, Kopitar is your next protected player!

These two new teams have awesome players to choose from!
    I would be really interested to see how your draft goes, make sure you update us!

I think after your 3 it is:
    Kopitar
    Drouin
    Couture

So whoever gets taken first, I would protect the highest player left on that list of 3 personally.

Dobber Sports Ninja

I would protect Drouin since he seems like the most likely target. People love to draft the young hotshots, and Couture is not a name that immediately jumps out at people, so who knows what might happen there. Depends on how smart the new GMs are.

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by dooley89 View Post
    I think after your 3 it is:
    Kopitar
    Drouin
    Couture
    Dooley hit the nail on the head here. If someone is crazy enough to pluck Drouin from your team first, protect Kopitar and don't look back. If they take Kopi, I'd protect Drouin. The upside is there, and while you may have to go through some growing pains this year, you'll reap all the benefits from there on out.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

i'd protect couture over drouin. i'm not buying the whole "name" thing, you should be protecting guys who can make your team win. only way i'd consider protecting drouin is if you are sure you can flip him for a better producing piece than couture.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Quote Originally Posted by petegreg21 View Post
    Dooley hit the nail on the head here. If someone is crazy enough to pluck Drouin from your team first, protect Kopitar and don't look back. If they take Kopi, I'd protect Drouin. The upside is there, and while you may have to go through some growing pains this year, you'll reap all the benefits from there on out.
    I agree with this... either Kopi or Dru (whomever is free for you to pull back)