Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Thread: [Guess] Subban's extention

Dobber Sports Padawan

Default Re: [Guess] Subban's extention

You guys are crazy if you think the number the Habs put forward for arbitration is the same one they're offering Subban during negotiations.
    Setting up the play.

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by thatbirdguy View Post
    You guys are crazy if you think the number the Habs put forward for arbitration is the same one they're offering Subban during negotiations.
    I don't think anyone thinks or implied they think that. It's still a pretty crazy low offer to enter arbitration with.

Dobber Sports Master

Quote Originally Posted by rataylor22 View Post
    It's still a pretty crazy low offer to enter arbitration with.
    They had to. It's par for the course, bc they know the arb picks in the middle.. He has little leeway when it comes to setting precedent and knows that he can't lean too much one way or another.
    Blades of Steel
    9 Team Full Keeper - Pts Only (G,A,W,SO)

Crosby, Wheeler, Bergeron, Forsberg, Connor, Kopitar, E.Lindholm, Pastrnak, DeBrincat, Fiala
    Jones, Klingberg, Hamilton, Theodore, Letang
    Saros, Shesterkin
    Garland, Vrana, Bjorkstrand, Verhaege, Backstrom, Karlsson, Perunovich, Spurgeon, Pulock, Hellebuyck

Dobber Sports Padawan

Quote Originally Posted by rataylor22 View Post
    I don't think anyone thinks or implied they think that. It's still a pretty crazy low offer to enter arbitration with.
    It's implied when people talk about Subban being insulted by the arbitration demand. It's not like 5.25 is the only number he's been seeing.
    Setting up the play.

Dobber Sports Veteran

Per Yvon Pedneault (journal de Montreal), an 8 years, 64 M$ offer is already on the table for Subban.
    Here's the link, but we can't read the whole article...
    http://www.journaldemontreal.com/sports
    Keeper league (12 teams) - keep 6 (+ NHL team is auto keep)
    Weekly lineup: 1T, 9F, 4D, 1G
    Points only:
    Forwards & Dmen: goal (1), assist (1)
    Goalies: win (2), otl/sol (1), shutout (2)
    Team: win (2), otl/sol (1)
    Only 2 FA pickups for the season (remaining: 0)

[T] Edmonton
    [F] Panarin, Pettersson, Bedard
    [D] Heiskanen, Theodore, Dobson
    [G]

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by The Bottlenecker View Post
    I agree with this and predict a similar contract of 2 years at 8 million. This is the second time in the last three years that his contract negotiations have been hashed out over a too-long period of time. Subban can say what he wants about staying in Montreal, but I think he'll move on when he realizes that they aren't going to pay him what he could get elsewhere.
    B. I. N. G. O. and Subban will be gone'ohhhhh!

Short term, High Dollars and start your stop watch for the SUBBAN Trade Talks.

Really wish someone would have Offer Sheeted him. OH well...glad he's Montreal's problem. They're made for each other.

Dobber Sports Master

Quote Originally Posted by havanablast21 View Post
    B. I. N. G. O. and Subban will be gone'ohhhhh!

Short term, High Dollars and start your stop watch for the SUBBAN Trade Talks.

Really wish someone would have Offer Sheeted him. OH well...glad he's Montreal's problem. They're made for each other.
    This was hilarious lol.

Subban will stay in MTL and MTL wants him there. No sense in going to Florida for 10M when you can get 8+ in MTL and make it to the conference finals and have a chance to win. Both sides want the term. His agent Don Meehan wasn't in any way flippant about the negotiations when interviewed yesterday. Both sides want the relationship. So what if they renegotiated often? With a player of this ilk, things need to be done carefully and they are just taking their time. Things are being kept quiet which is great news for both sides and it shows a willingness to work together for both of their interests, rather than one party going public stating that the other side is unreasonable. This is one of the best negotiations I have seen, because everyone is mum and everyone seems positive.
    Blades of Steel

Crosby, Wheeler, Bergeron, Forsberg, Connor, Kopitar, E.Lindholm, Pastrnak, DeBrincat, Fiala
    Saros, Shesterkin
    Garland, Vrana, Bjorkstrand, Verhaege, Backstrom, Karlsson, Perunovich, Spurgeon, Pulock, Hellebuyck

Dobber Sports Wizard

Great article here from Elliotte Friedman: http://www.cbc.ca/sports-content/hoc...ng-subban.html

They couldn't reach a settlement beforehand, but the team was careful not to offend a franchise player during the hearing. Weber was awarded $7.5 million, which remains the arbitration record.

Subban, who just turned 25, is two years from being eligible for unrestricted free agency. Weber played about 150 more games than Subban has to this point, and was a bigger goal scorer. But, in the two seasons immediately prior to their arbitrations, both players had 91 points. Weber's came in 160 games. Subban's total was 124, because of the lockout.

Bet your first born that's going to come up here. So is Subban's Norris Trophy. Weber hasn't won it -- yet. Does anyone want to bet against a new record? And, remember, if there isn't an extension, Montreal has to qualify Subban at that number next season.
    Excellent points here. So I'm guessing Subban's RFA years are worth $8M based on everything. I like that the team has offered $8M x 8 years but they have to go a little higher to get the deal done. Otherwise Subban will just take the $8M and wait for the cap to go even higher. So let's say $8M per RFA season and $9M per UFA season. That's a total of $70M and a cap hit of $8.75M. That should get the job done.

Banned

To me they see his negatives and are questioning whether they want him long term for that kind of money.

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Big Ev View Post
    To me they see his negatives and are questioning whether they want him long term for that kind of money.
    I would love to be in that room for that hearing, if it takes place!!
    Zorro says "vote for Dobber"
    Angus is my best friend at dobberhockey..

Dobber Sports Master

Quote Originally Posted by Zorro View Post
    I would love to be in that room for that hearing, if it takes place!!
    Ditto.

Ièm not sure if Subban is all LeBron about doing the "I wonder what the cap will be" thing to not sign a long term deal but I do agree they will have to pay premium to get the UFA years. To me, the RFA years are 7 to 7.5 and the UFA 9, which balances out at 8 or 8 and change... Jouko-Pouko is bang on to me in that a shade over 8 to 8.75 should get'er done and I don't think the Habs would blink at that. Subban should also consider some kind of discount unless he doesn't want the team to build around him.. Isolating yourself salary-wise really hurts your chance at winning, in Montreal or elsewhere.. Which is why I keep thinking it should settle at 8/per, but that's me..
    Blades of Steel

Saros, Shesterkin

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by agentzero View Post
    Ièm not sure if Subban is all LeBron about doing the "I wonder what the cap will be" thing to not sign a long term deal but I do agree they will have to pay premium to get the UFA years. To me, the RFA years are 7 to 7.5 and the UFA 9, which balances out at 8 or 8 and change... Jouko-Pouko is bang on to me in that a shade over 8 to 8.75 should get'er done and I don't think the Habs would blink at that. Subban should also consider some kind of discount unless he doesn't want the team to build around him.. Isolating yourself salary-wise really hurts your chance at winning, in Montreal or elsewhere.. Which is why I keep thinking it should settle at 8/per, but that's me..
    Anything less than $10M per season is a hometown discount because that's what Subban would get as a UFA. Just like Toews and Kane at $10.5M are discounts because they would have received $12M on the open market.

Every year fans say "this and this player should give the team a hometown discount" but I personally wouldn't be willing to give up millions of dollars just so that the team can waste that money on a player who isn't worth it. Because that's what always happens. If teams save some money on a star player, they turn around and overpay for a depth player. Hopefully star players are finally starting to realize this. How many Stanley Cups did the Sedins win when they signed those hometown discount contracts? $6.1M was WAY below their market value at the time but leaving money on the table didn't help them any.

I see no way Subban gets less than $7.5M from the arbitration if it gets there. His numbers are better than Weber's, he has a Norris, and the cap is higher. $7.5M is, in my mind, the absolute minimum he will get on a 1-year deal.

Dobber Sports Master

Quote Originally Posted by Jouko-Pouko View Post
    Anything less than $10M per season is a hometown discount because that's what Subban would get as a UFA. Just like Toews and Kane at $10.5M are discounts because they would have received $12M on the open market.

Every year fans say "this and this player should give the team a hometown discount" but I personally wouldn't be willing to give up millions of dollars just so that the team can waste that money on a player who isn't worth it. Because that's what always happens. If teams save some money on a star player, they turn around and overpay for a depth player. Hopefully star players are finally starting to realize this. How many Stanley Cups did the Sedins win when they signed those hometown discount contracts? $6.1M was WAY below their market value at the time but leaving money on the table didn't help them any.

I see no way Subban gets less than $7.5M from the arbitration if it gets there. His numbers are better than Weber's, he has a Norris, and the cap is higher. $7.5M is, in my mind, the absolute minimum he will get on a 1-year deal.
    Honestly, what can you do with 70M that you can't do with 64.... and also, these guys stand to make way more in endorsements and other deals and all sorts of crap than their base salary. Not singing a huge deal because you couldn't squeeze an extra 0.5M out of the team just for kicks is not an advisable strategy, not if playing for that team means anything to you and apparently it means something to Subban. I would like to say it means something to all athletes, but obviously it doesn't..(right LeBron?) But I don't respect those athletes and want nothing to do with them anyway..

Whatever it's all business but if both sides are truly working to common goals, this deal gets done easily..

The Sedins will be fine, as complete multi-millionnaires... You can only ride in one Ferrari at a time..........
    Blades of Steel

Saros, Shesterkin

Dobber Sports Ace

TSN 690: Montreal Forum-PK Subban Interview

http://www2.tsn.ca/window/podcastcen...id=35239&id=17

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by agentzero View Post
    Honestly, what can you do with 70M that you can't do with 64.... and also, these guys stand to make way more in endorsements and other deals and all sorts of crap than their base salary. Not singing a huge deal because you couldn't squeeze an extra 0.5M out of the team just for kicks is not an advisable strategy, not if playing for that team means anything to you and apparently it means something to Subban. I would like to say it means something to all athletes, but obviously it doesn't..(right LeBron?) But I don't respect those athletes and want nothing to do with them anyway..

Whatever it's all business but if both sides are truly working to common goals, this deal gets done easily..

The Sedins will be fine, as complete multi-millionnaires... You can only ride in one Ferrari at a time..........
    First off, this is a bad argument. In one day? Nothing. But this money isn't just for one day. What they make now has to support them for the rest of their lives (potentially 40-50 years). And their families. Players shouldn't take less money because "what can I do with an extra $6 million", because they have a limited window to make what they can, when they can.

Really, you're gonna bring LeBron into this? Sorry man, have your opinion on Subban, but you don't know anything about LeBron OR Basketball OR the entire situation if you are going to throw out something like that.