Page 100 of 310 FirstFirst ... 50 90 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 110 150 200 ... LastLast
Results 1,486 to 1,500 of 4641

Thread: Toronto Blue Jays

Banned

Default Re: Toronto Blue Jays

Price has zero reason to choose Toronto over Boston. He's going to Boston.

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by Big Ev View Post
    You are smoking crack if you truly think Toronto has nothing to offer over Boston and just shows how little you truly know about the Blue Jays. Thanks for chiming in.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Superstar

Well I don't think you can put it in such concrete terms. Although I don't necessarily disagree with you that Boston is the more likely scenario, there are a lot of reports out there regarding players not enjoying playing in Boston and hating the media and everything you have to put up with there, similar to the NHL in Toronto. Price is on record as saying he is the type of person who likes to have fun playing the game.

Again, likely scenario is Boston or some other big market team, but there's enough smoke and fuel out there to make me wonder if Toronto doesn't have a better chance than anyone thought.

Dobber Sports Ninja

Ultimately don't see him signing in Toronto again, but stranger things have happened I suppose.

If I'm him I'm tempted to do it to see if people actually do the things they say lol.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by Kofax View Post
    Well I don't think you can put it in such concrete terms. Although I don't necessarily disagree with you that Boston is the more likely scenario, there are a lot of reports out there regarding players not enjoying playing in Boston and hating the media and everything you have to put up with there, similar to the NHL in Toronto. Price is on record as saying he is the type of person who likes to have fun playing the game.

Again, likely scenario is Boston or some other big market team, but there's enough smoke and fuel out there to make me wonder if Toronto doesn't have a better chance than anyone thought.
    here's hoping!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    You are smoking crack if you truly think Toronto has nothing to offer over Boston and just shows how little you truly know about the Blue Jays. Thanks for chiming in.
    Ha. Nice snarky response that contributes nothing to thread. I know plenty about the Jays since people shove them down our throats in Canada.

Fact is stars rarely, if ever, sign in Toronto and the Jays just had a career year that is unlikely to be replicated. Price would earn far more money playing in the US than in Toronto and if he wants to play in a pressure atmosphere then it is no contest as to which city is better for that.

While Toronto currently has a good lineup, Boston has an extremely young and exciting lineup that should contend for years. And they have the $ to spend that the Blue Jays are not willing to. The BLue Jays also just lost their GM which could put a sour taste in players' mouths.

The Blue Jays had a good run but they are still not attractive to free agents.

Dobber Sports Deity

Ha. Nice snarky response that contributes nothing to thread. I know plenty about the Jays since people shove them down our throats in Canada.

Fact is stars rarely, if ever, sign in Toronto and the Jays just had a career year that is unlikely to be replicated. Price would earn far more money playing in the US than in Toronto and if he wants to play in a pressure atmosphere then it is no contest as to which city is better for that.

While Toronto currently has a good lineup, Boston has an extremely young and exciting lineup that should contend for years. And they have the $ to spend that the Blue Jays are not willing to. The BLue Jays also just lost their GM which could put a sour taste in players' mouths.

The Blue Jays had a good run but they are still not attractive to free agents.
    Thanks, I was hoping you'd catch the snarkiness of my reply because your comment was simply erroneous. You just gave one reason why he might want to return which I put in bold.

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Banned

Thanks, I was hoping you'd catch the snarkiness of my reply because your comment was simply erroneous. You just gave one reason why he might want to return which I put in bold.
    They have a good lineup but it is debatable if they will make the playoffs and be better than Boston or the Yankees next season. They also traded away prospects to win last season.

Dobber Sports Deity

Their starting lineup will basically be identical to last years. Their defense and offense will still "arguably" be one of the best in baseball. I don't see Boston even coming close to putting up the offense the Jays will and the Red Sox's D won't be anywhere near as good either. There's a couple of reasons for you, in case you needed to hear them.

Not to mention, he already knows most of the teammates and coaching staff in Toronto and seemed to enjoy his time in Toronto.

The country his plays in wont affect his paycheck because they all get paid in US dollars.

There's a couple more reasons why he may consider Toronto over other options.

You already know all this but just don't like the thought of actually admitting it.

I am not saying he signs in Toronto, but I also won't be shocked if he did either.

Banned

Their starting lineup will basically be identical to last years. Their defense and offense will still "arguably" be one of the best in baseball. I don't see Boston even coming close to putting up the offense the Jays will and the Red Sox's D won't be anywhere near as good either. There's a couple of reasons for you, in case you needed to hear them.

Not to mention, he already knows most of the teammates and coaching staff in Toronto and seemed to enjoy his time in Toronto.

The country his plays in wont affect his paycheck because they all get paid in US dollars.

There's a couple more reasons why he may consider Toronto over other options.

You already know all this but just don't like the thought of actually admitting it.

I am not saying he signs in Toronto, but I also won't be shocked if he did either.
    That's not accurate. Boston has the best defensive outfield in baseball right now with Mookie Betts, Jackie Bradley Jr. and Rusney Castillo. They have a gold glove winner at second base and a very good defensive SS in Xander Boegarts.

I don't have the numbers for the last 2-3 months of the season the Red Sox were scoring runs at the same rate as the Blue Jays after they invested in their youth movement. Their pitching was also very good during that time, and they will be adding an ace. They have great prospect depth featuring stud prospects 2B Yoan Moncada and SP Anderson Espinoza (who is only 17 but dominating the minors).

and yeah the country he plays in affects his pay...it's called taxes. The taxes are much higher for players in Canada. Even the most casual sports fan would know this.

Dobber Sports Ninja

I heard the Senators were the frontrunners to sign Price

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by bondon View Post
    I heard the Senators were the frontrunners to sign Price
    Not relevant to the discussion and that's how I know I won.

Dobber Sports Deity

That's not accurate. Boston has the best defensive outfield in baseball right now with Mookie Betts, Jackie Bradley Jr. and Rusney Castillo. They have a gold glove winner at second base and a very good defensive SS in Xander Boegarts.

I don't have the numbers for the last 2-3 months of the season the Red Sox were scoring runs at the same rate as the Blue Jays after they invested in their youth movement. Their pitching was also very good during that time.

and yeah the country he plays in affects his pay...it's called taxes. The taxes are much higher for players in Canada. Even the most casual sports fan would know this.
    You need to google "jock tax". There's so much grey area and loopholes to get these athletes their taxes back it's not even funny. The ones losing money is the Jays because of the crappy CDN dollar, not the players.

Dobber Sports Deity

Interesting thoughts from Ken Rosenthal on Price and his destinations.

http://www.foxsports.com/mlb/story/d...senthal-112515

While Price enjoyed his time with the Blue Jays and is open to returning to Toronto, the Jays are not expected to be a major factor in his free agency, sources say.

So, how will all this play out?

It's too early to say. But Price, 30, values comfort even more than most players. He had that in Tampa Bay. He eventually found it in Detroit. And he felt it almost immediately in Toronto.

The Red Sox, then, might be the toughest sell for Price, given the complexities of his past relationships with their fan base and biggest star, David Ortiz. By contrast, the Cubs and Giants could hold particular appeal.

Dobber Sports Titan

The Average tax rate for a Boston NHL athlete (just using NHL athletes because I know the numbers), is 42.93%. Toronto’s is 48.43%.

Signs a 30mill/yr contract doesn’t he get taxed in Canadian dollars tho? So 30mill US = 39,885,000 CAD, Taxed 48.43% = $19,316,305.5CAD – 39,885,000 = $20,568,694.50 = $15,471,000USD TAKE HOME IN TORONTO vs. 30millUSD taxed 42.93% = $17,121,000 USD TAKE HOME PAY

Toronto Take home = $15,471,000USD Boston take home = $17,121,000USD = a difference of $1,650,000USD/yr

I could be 100% wrong. But that’s how I see it. So for money, Toronto has to offer roughly 3mill/yr more than Boston than the dollar figures are the same.33mill/yr in Toronto = 30mill/yr in Boston in take home pay.

As per defense. Toronto has arguably the best 3B, 2B, SS trio in the business, a CF who could have won gold glover this yr (was nominated for it), a LF who is very good defensively (remember we only had him for 1/3rd of the season), and a RF who is hungry to win and has a cannon of an arm (which was hurt most of the season). Then he’s throwing to one of the top catchers in the league. If they trade one of the CF or LF, they have Pompey who defensively is right up there too. And they have Saunders

Pitching staff wise, he’s an instant ace, with Stroman (who he really took a liking too), Estrada who had a surprisingly good yr (and was cool as a cucumber in the playoffs), and a guy who can eat 200ip (Dickey).

I’m not saying Toronto is a lock to sign him, or has the higher chance than Boston, I’m just saying you are not giving Toronto the credit it deserves. Give the defensive lineup of Toronto the credit it deserves, the biggest hole in their defensive lineup is 3B backup (Donaldson can play 150+ games anyways), 2B back up (Kawasaki can do it tho), and 1B. 1B is more of a “what position in our starting lineup is the weakest?”. They don’t really need to upgrade there at all. Colly was fine.

If Price is worried about Toronto’s prospects, he could sign a 7yr deal with a player option after the 3rd yr.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll