Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: [rumor] Gaborik offered 3 yr extension by Kings

Dobber Sports Deity

Default [rumor] Gaborik offered 3 yr extension by Kings

http://www.cbssports.com/nhl/eye-on-...tract-by-kings

The Los Angeles Kings clearly had a good thing going by the end of the season, which saw them hoist the Stanley Cup again. So you can understand why they would be keen on keeping Marian Gaborik around.

Acquired at the deadline from Columbus when his value was down, Gaborik played well for the Kings down the stretch and then started doing what he does best in the playoffs: score goals. He finished the postseason with 14 goals, by far the most in the playoffs to put his name in the company of Wayne Gretzky.

But there was always the potential when the Kings got Gaborik that he would be a rental-type, a player they might not be able to afford to re-sign in terms of the salary cap. According to Steve Simmons of the Toronto Sun, though, they're going to give it a go.

The Kings aren't trading Mike Richards or buying him out. That's the plan. But they aren't happy paying a third- or fourth-liner first-line money and they've told him that. Los Angeles wants to keep leading playoff goal scorer Marian Gaborik -- they've offered three years and $15 million, which would require a hometown discount of sorts. To keep Gaborik and Richards, it means sacrificing a veteran free agent defenceman like Willie Mitchell or Matt Greene.

Indeed, that would be quite the discount. Gaborik just finished a five-year contract that had a cap hit of $7.5 million. While he's 32 now and it is fair to think his cost should go down as he exits his prime, it's tough to believe Gaborik wouldn't be able to get much more on the free-agent market. Still, the chance to stay with a Stanley Cup team could be intriguing enough to consider a bit of a discount, it will depend on what Gaborik wants most.

Something to keep in mind, though; the Kings probably can afford to go a little higher on a potential contract with Gaborik, they just (rightly) want to keep it down as much as they can. But they already have 18 players signed for next season and roughtly $13 million left below the cap according to Cap Geek.

Keeping Gaborik would probably lead to saying goodbye to either Willie Mitchell or Matt Greene -- both are also free agents. Each obviously played big parts in both of LA's recent Cups but they have five other Dmen under contract already and could fill the sixth/seventh spots on D for a cheaper price, possibly from within.

In other words if they want Gaborik, they should be able to keep Gaborik. It might take a little more money and term but the Kings should be able to do it. Considering what he gave them after the trade, you'd think they'd really want to keep him, too.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Veteran

Default Re: [rumor] Gaborik offered 3 yr extension by Kings

He made some cash before... He fits and likes playing with Kopitar... He will stay a king.

Dobber Sports Veteran

I think they'll meet at 6m per.
    12 tm pts only dynasty
    F (count 12): Bedard, Boldy, Beniers, Cooley, Michkov, Norris, Landeskog, Rossi, Reichel, Pelletier, Tomasino, Foerster, Bordeleau, Lysell, Wahlstrom, Bourque, Stankoven, Nazar, Othmann, Ostlund, O.Moore
    D (count 6): McAvoy, Kylington, Byram, Boqvist, Perunovich, Lundkvist, L.Hughes, Zellweger, Morrow
    G (count 2): Askarov, Wallstedt, Wolf, Kochetkov, Levi
    3 round draft and 1 waiver per team per year

Dobber Sports Star

i think theyll meet at 4 years 5.5m per. itll be much easier finding an easier alternate for their #5-6 dman spots than a goal-scorer like gaborik, no brainer.
    One day I will quit fantasy hockey, today is not that day.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

i hope he re-signs, could get brown back up to 50 points if he sticks on that line

Dobber Sports Ace

I can see 3 years 20 million.
    6.66 per year.

Second highest forward salary. Just under the captain Kopitar.
    6 Team no limit Keeper. Cap league $100m
    Points only G/A=1, Hattrick = +3, Wins = 2, SO = +3, OTL/SOL = +1
    12 Forwards, 6 Defense, 2 Goalies, 6 Reserve (any position)

Forwards
    Crosby $8.7
    Stone $9.5
    Svechnikov $7.7
    Debrincat $6.4
    Hall $6
    Meier $6
    Guentzel $6
    Ehlers $6
    Hertl $5.6
    Konecny $5.5
    Palat $5.3
    JT Miller $5.2
    Garland $4.9
    Kakko $.9
    Laff $.9

Defense
    Josi $9
    Burns $8
    Letang $7.2
    Nurse $5.6
    Werenski $5
    Sergachev $4.8
    Fox $.9

Goalies
    Shesterkin $5.6
    Ullmark $5
    Hart $3.9
    Blackwood $2.8

Dobber Sports Veteran

Nice contract length, he should be able to get a full 82 games in over those 3 years....
    10 team, head-to-head, multi-cat, keep-12 keeper league. CATS: G,A,+/-,PPP,PIM,SOG,HITS BS,SHP, W,SV,SV%,GAA,SO Daily rosters of 6F, 4D, 2 Flex, 2G

F: Crosby, Hall, Pacioretty, Hartnell, Neal, Nugent-Hopkins, Callahan, Dubinsky, Hossa, Huberdeau, Abdelkader, Bjugstad (IR)
    D: Karlsson, Hedman, Muzzin, Savard, Streit (IR)
    G: Lundqvist, Quick, Condon

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by Big Baby View Post
    I can see 3 years 20 million.
    6.66 per year.

Second highest forward salary. Just under the captain Kopitar.
    Although I make this mistake on a regular basis, the captain is Dustin Brown. But I agree Anze should be it
    14 team Fantrax H2H keeper league
    G, A, P, SOG, Hits, Blocks, FOW, - W, Gaa, Sv%, Svs

C - Crosby, Tavares, Kopitar, Toews
    LW - Hall, Giroux(C), Vrana, Gaudreau
    RW - Pastrnak, Kane, Stamkos(C), Kubalik
    D - Burns, Murphy, Morrisey, Cernak, Whitecloud, Chiarot
    G - Mrazek, Campbell, Brossoit, Greiss
    Bench - Middlestat, Wennberg, Perron, Olofsson, Schwartz, Atkinson, Yama

Dobber Sports Master

What does this potential signing do to youngsters Tyler Toffoli and Tanner Pearson's fantasy value?

Bottleneckers (12/16 in 2022)
    16 team, points only. G: 2-W, 4-SO.
    Top 9F, 4D & 1G . Keep 15, Max 23
    F: J. Robertson, J. Hughes, Tavares, Lafreniere, Cozens, Newhook, Teravainen, Domi, R. Strome, Laine, Rossi, Raymond, Holtz, Perfetti
    D: Bouchard, McAvoy, Morrissey, Heiskanen
    G: Vasilevskiy

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by The Bottlenecker View Post
    What does this potential signing do to youngsters Tyler Toffoli and Tanner Pearson's fantasy value?
    I don't think it will impact Toffoli much. He is in line for PP2 time and Top 6 minutes with our without Gabby I believe. Darryl Sutter showed a lot of faith in him throughout their playoff run. I think Pearson might be impacted more if he signs but much will become clearer over the next week.

Dobber Sports Ace

I don't think it would do much to it. A lot can change but I think they'd go with:
    Gabby-kopitar-brown/Williams
    Pearson-carter-toffoli
    Williams/brown-stoll-king/Clifford/lewis

Again I'm not a kings expert but something like that would see them getting top 6 minutes
    Quote Originally Posted by The Bottlenecker View Post

Dobber Sports Ninja

Highly competitive team that can pay you a great salary and gives you great weather and not massive pressure. Pretty much the perfect place for anyone to play. I mean other than the giant earthquake that is going to remove that area of the world from the map eventually, but you can't factor that into any equation realistically

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

I wouldn't give any more then the 3 years at $5 million per!! That is a fair contract if the player wants to play on a winner!!
    Zorro says "vote for Dobber"
    Angus is my best friend at dobberhockey..

Dobber Sports Padawan

Quote Originally Posted by Shiva Blaster View Post
    Nice contract length, he should be able to get a full 82 games in over those 3 years....
    haha

Gaborik is the prime example to give a bonus clad contract too. We all know his [insert previous injury here] will go out around late November.
    WHL (24-Team Daily H2H)
    Weighted Scoring: G(1),A(1),PPP(0.5),+/-(0.25), SOG/PIM/HIT/BLK(all 0.05), FOW-C(0.01)

Braham Pietasters
    C(3): Barkov, Seguin, N.Schmaltz
    LW(3): Gaudreau, Pacioretty, Hinostroza
    RW(3): Radulov, Mantha, Dadonov
    F(3): Bailey, Thornton, Vanek
    D(6): Josi, Jones, Krug, Leddy, Ellis, Miller
    G(1): Bishop (Sparks)
    Bench: T. Wilson (RW), Boyle (C), Pirri (C), Boyd (C)
    Farm: Myers (D), Husso (G), Soderstrom (G), Petersen (G), Anderson-Dolan (C), Pilut (D), Capobianco (D), Aho (D)

Dobber Sports Stud

The issue for Gaborik has always been his health. When he is healthy an on his game, he is a game breaker. Especially with his nasty snap shot off the rush.

A 3 year deal will probably result in 1 great season, 1 mediocre season and 1 lousy season.

Skating with Anze maybe Gaborik can pot 50.
    Consider Sim Hockey because guys who play shutdown minutes, deflect shots and clear creases build championships. Yet in fantasy they litter the unwanted UFA lists.