Thread: Marc-Andre Fleury... 'nuff said?

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Default Marc-Andre Fleury... 'nuff said?

Well... I have to make a decision on Fleury, and really without any information, is he worth it next year? Any one able to guess will he be the #1, traded to be a #1, will the Pens get 1A/1B type thing... He is a solid regular season goalie, but...

Some fearless forecasts would be very helpful...

W SO GAA SV%

Thanks.

The Great One

Default Re: Marc-Andre Fleury... 'nuff said?

Still guaranteed to be a number 1 in my eyes

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Yea he's still the undisputed #1. If the Pens bring in a veteran it will just be a handcuff in case of injury.

You are right too, he's a solid top 5 fantasy goalie in the regular season

GMHL Dynasty
    14 Team H2H 27-Pro/20-Farm
    4C, 4LW, 4RW, 6D, 2G, 7BN, 4IR+
    G, A, PTS, +/-, PIM, PPP, GWG,SOG, HITS, BLKS
    W, GAA, SV, SV%, SHO

C: Tavares, Barkov, Malkin, Nielsen, Zibanejad
    LW: Lucic, Benn, Tatar, Fleischmann
    RW: Johansen, Tarasenko, Downie, Perron
    D: Doughty, Chara, Yandle, Edler, Seidenberg, Brodin, Wideman, Kulikov, Robidas
    G: Niemi, Nabokov, Mason, Emery, Reimer

Farm: Lazar, Nieto, Pulkkinen, Compher, Fiala, Vrana, Barber, Pastrnak, Larkin, McCann, Rattie, Rakell, Salomaki, Connelly, Keranen, Clendening, Borowiecki, Matheson, de Haan, Carrick, Gillies, Nilsson-KHL, Dansk, Stalock

Picks Owned:
    2015: 1st, 1st, 1st, 1st, 3rd

Dobber Sports Stud

As was pointed out in another recent thread, the goalie market is pretty flooded right now. I don't think that will allow the Pens to move Fleury this summer, nor will they give away Zatkoff (no longer exempt from waivers) for free to bring in another goalie to partner with Fleury.

That being said, Fleury's contract is up next summer and I think it's best for both parties to move on. He's taken way too much abuse in Pittsburgh and always shoulders all the blame for playoffs failures. I think he'll finish the year with Pittsburgh.

Based off of Zatkoff playing 20 gems last season and performing relatively well for a backup, I'd estimate Fleury's stats for 2014-2015:

60 GP
    37 W
    2.40 GAA
    .915 Sv%
    4 SHO

Obviously, this is just a rough estimate that could change depending on the coach (TBD) and other off-season moves.

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Expect Fleury to play 55-60 games and win 2/3rds of them. That's 37-40wins.
    A new GM & new coach will typically look to tweak a team through "skaters".
    I consider Fleury a safe-own.

Dobber Sports Expert

Fleury is criminally under-appreciated from a regular season standpoint. He finished tied for 2nd in W [with 39], tied for tied for 4th in SO [with 5], 7th in GAA among G who played at least 50 games, and 14th in SV% among G who played at least 50. His regular season SV% was tied with J. Quick...and no one questions his ability.

Having said that, Fleury has become the scapegoat in PIT for the past 3 post-seasons, and few believed even when he was young that PIT would ever win a Cup with him. I think the team will likely ride out the last year of his current contract [they have other roster needs more pressing to address this off-season], and then show him the UFA door next summer.

Unless your pool counts post-season stats heavily you should hang onto him, but I would recommend you begin making contingency plans as I don't think his value is sustainable on most other teams. I plan to allow him to rack up some points this season and then trade him to a contending GM for prospects and picks myself.
    10 Team [keep 10 + 4 prospects]
    Scoring F=1[g/a]; D=2[g], 1[a]; G=2[w], -1[L], 1[OT], 2[SO] Top 12 F, 6 D, 2 G count

Forwards
    Crosby, Ovechkin, Backstrom, Wheeler, Byfuglien, Hornqvist, Simmonds, Ladd, Zuccarello, Ribeiro, Desharnais, Semin, MacArthur, Moulson, Purcell, Soderberg, Dupuis
    Defense
    Keith, Goligoski, Carlson, Krug, Trouba, Streit, Pouliot, Ceci, Nurse, Martinez
    Goalie
    Fleury/Price/Rask

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Quote Originally Posted by lorenzin View Post
    I have to make a decision on Fleury, and really without any information
    As an aside, do you really have to decide now, before pittsburgh even decides? Why would your hockey pool set the roster deadline 3.5 months early? Or is it a trade offer that you think might not be there once pittsburgh decides what to do in net? The obvious answer is, if you can wait, wait.
    10 team pts-only keeper league - keep 10 plus 10 from past/present farm. No bench: entire active roster counts. Goalies: 2 pts/win + 3/shutout. 82 adds / year. NHL playoffs count for separate prize.

F: J Eichel, M Tkachuk, J Guentzel, E Pettersson, P Laine, R Thomas, C Kreider, M Boldy, J Kyrou, M Backlund, F Vatrano, N Niederreiter, R Rakell, M Marchment, M Domi
    D: A Fox, S Theodore, R Andersson, B Montour, S Durzi, D Keith
    G: F Andersen, S Knight, J Swayman
    IR: J Hughes, M Stone, M Grzelcyk, S Perunovich
    Farm: L Raymond, O Wahlstrom, S Skinner, C Addison, Y Chinakhov, J Perreault

Dobber Sports Giant

Quote Originally Posted by lorenzin View Post
    Well... I have to make a decision on Fleury, and really without any information, is he worth it next year? Any one able to guess will he be the #1, traded to be a #1, will the Pens get 1A/1B type thing... He is a solid regular season goalie, but...

Some fearless forecasts would be very helpful...

W SO GAA SV%

Thanks.

Assuming a healthy season, I would be shocked to see him post any worse than:

35 Wins, 4 Shutouts, 2.5 GAA, .915 SV%

He's still very legit for fantasy-hockey purposes. People have totally gone bananas with MAF over the past couple years, but he's still a very good fantasy option.
    MounD - Double Threat FHL (18-19 champs)

10-Team Yahoo daily H2H Dynasty
    3C, 3LW, 3RW, 6D, 2G, 7Bn (IR)
    G, A, +/-, PPP, SHP, SOG, FW, HIT, BLK // W, Sv, GAA, Sv%, SHO

C: Bergeron, Barkov, Aho, Point, Kadri
    LW: Marchand, Landeskog, Hertl, Marchessault
    RW: Stamkos, Tarasenko, Laine, Palmieri
    D: Carlson, Letang, Dumba, Weber, Pietrangelo, Ristolainen, Byfuglien*
    G: Bobrovsky, Holtby, Lehner, Greiss-Varlamov

Farm: Turcotte, Cozens, Denisenko, Newhook // Sandin, Jokiharju, Dobson, K'Andre // Shesterkin

Dobber Sports Veteran

If they have a better year, he might even stick there beyond this year. The goalie market is so saturated that I'm not sure he'd get paid extremely well regardless of where he goes. He'd be smart to take a discount and stick with the Pens as long as they'll have him.

He regained a lot of credibility this year too. Kept the number one job all season. Had a few shaky games against CLB but the Pens found a way to win. Had two shutouts vs NYR before his team collapsed. Sure he was outplayed (by the best goalie in the world over the last five years) during the last three games but nobody blamed that series on him.
    12 tm pts only dynasty
    F (count 12): Bedard, Boldy, Beniers, Cooley, Michkov, Norris, Landeskog, Rossi, Reichel, Pelletier, Tomasino, Foerster, Bordeleau, Lysell, Wahlstrom, Bourque, Stankoven, Nazar, Othmann, Ostlund, O.Moore
    D (count 6): McAvoy, Kylington, Byram, Boqvist, Perunovich, Lundkvist, L.Hughes, Zellweger, Morrow
    G (count 2): Askarov, Wallstedt, Wolf, Kochetkov, Levi
    3 round draft and 1 waiver per team per year

Dobber Sports Pro

Since everyone feels so safe with Fleury, I'd test the trade market. I'm not a fan at all and if I could get another solid tender back, I'd seriously consider it.

You might be able to sell high on Fleury and buy low on Schneider.
    __________________________________________________ __________________
    UHL Dynasty St. Louis Blues
    ...playoffs, how the eff did I make the playoffs?

UDL Western Kings
    ...oh boy... this build is gonna be a while...