Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Stamkos or Malkin?

Dobber Sports Initiate

Default Stamkos or Malkin?

Sim league in sig below, so players value is pretty close to real NHL value.

Malkin owner has said he would consider moving Gino, I have Stamkos.

So the question is : Real NHL, who would you rather have, Malkin or Stamkos? Should I ask for a bit more with Malkin (a draft pick perhaps)

TBH I'm a little worried about Stamkos' injury (he said himself after the playoffs that he held back because of it). Malkin isn't really an ironman either... but with trade uncertainty (new GM and all), who knows.

Also considering swapping Byf for Elias+, thus unloading before Byf's stats drop because of the move to wing and gaining a veteran playmaker to go with R.Johansen.

Thoughts?
    On a fantasy hockey break.

Dobber Sports Immortal

Default Re: Stamkos or Malkin?

Is this just a straight points league?? Even if that were the case I would still go with Stamkos. Adding categories like SOG or PPP would just add to that sentiment.

Dobber Sports Monster

I'd rather have Stamkos. I have Stamkos in my keeper so it might seem like bias, but honestly if I owned Malkin I would definitely move him for Stamkos. Give me the likely Rocket Richard winner over a guy who's gonna get hurt every year and tease you with often unfulfilled upside. People are always so infatuated with Malkins upside yet his injury problems just seem like something you have to accept as a yearly thing. He's more likely to miss 40 games than he is to get 110 points. I guess some people like to gamble, but I mean if you can get a guy who scores 55 g, 95 pts for sure, then I'd rather just have that than risk getting really ****ed over by Malkin every other year. I like to win every season, not just the ones where Malkin is healthy.

12 team H2H Most Cats Wins; Keep 6/winner keeps 7; G A PPP +/- SHP SOG HIT BLK PIM // W SV GAA SV% SHO
    3 C, 3 LW, 3 RW, 6D, 2G, 5 bench

C - McDavid, Crosby, Tavares
    LW - DeBrincat
    RW - Meier, Miller
    D -
    G - Jarry

Dobber Sports Veteran

I'll take Stamkos. I've always been curious about these sim leagues though.....what is the benefit of using "sim'ed" games rather than just basing scoring and stats on reality? It seems so weird to me, no offence.
    10 team, head-to-head, multi-cat, keep-12 keeper league. CATS: G,A,+/-,PPP,PIM,SOG,HITS BS,SHP, W,SV,SV%,GAA,SO Daily rosters of 6F, 4D, 2 Flex, 2G

F: Crosby, Hall, Pacioretty, Hartnell, Neal, Nugent-Hopkins, Callahan, Dubinsky, Hossa, Huberdeau, Abdelkader, Bjugstad (IR)
    D: Karlsson, Hedman, Muzzin, Savard, Streit (IR)
    G: Lundqvist, Quick, Condon

Dobber Sports Veteran

Just another one chiming in here, but I seem to be preaching to the choir... Stamkos for me, too. Far, far more durable. And I wouldn't worry at all about Stamkos saying the injury held him back in playoffs. He has an entire summer to be at full confidence - sometimes it just takes a couple months to get back to your previous style of play. And even then, he put up 4 pts in 4 games so whatever.

Dobber Sports Wizard

Just flip a coin?

Stamkos vote from me as well.

But I would just....................................flip a coin.

I'd like to reiterate what was said above. As much as you would like Malkin and his potential, Stamkos seems to be much more likely to put up his 90+ points then Malkin being healthy and getting you 100+.

You should also explore how anxious the other guy is to move Malkin. Perhaps you should consider moving Byfuglien and maybe Johansen or perhaps something else to try and get Malkin on your team. How bad does the other team need goaltending? You have 2 starters in a 30 league team so you may want to consider moving Anderson. His days are numbered in Ottawa and he is only an average goaltender who either runs really hot or really cold.

The Great One

Stamkos and definitely not an aging Elias for Buf.. I would think of trading him but would expct a bigger return tbh

Dobber Sports Initiate

Quote Originally Posted by hockeyrobot View Post
    Is this just a straight points league?? Even if that were the case I would still go with Stamkos. Adding categories like SOG or PPP would just add to that sentiment.
    Nope, it's a sim league.

Dobber Sports Initiate

Quote Originally Posted by Shiva Blaster View Post
    I'll take Stamkos. I've always been curious about these sim leagues though.....what is the benefit of using "sim'ed" games rather than just basing scoring and stats on reality? It seems so weird to me, no offence.
    With sim leagues my impression is that you feel a lot closer to what it is to be a real GM/coach. Almost every aspect of a player is taken into consideration so defensive-minded players have more value than in a standard fantasy league. Also, you make up your lines, so you have to complement the players on it (playmakers with scorers and checkers, PP, PK and 4 vs 4 units, and so on). Also we negociate our players' contracts.

The other benefit is that the players' stats (passing, scoring, puck handling, etc...) are based on the last 2 seasons, so if a player has an off season, it's less of a hit.

Dobber Sports Initiate

Quote Originally Posted by woodrow View Post
    I'd like to reiterate what was said above. As much as you would like Malkin and his potential, Stamkos seems to be much more likely to put up his 90+ points then Malkin being healthy and getting you 100+.

You should also explore how anxious the other guy is to move Malkin. Perhaps you should consider moving Byfuglien and maybe Johansen or perhaps something else to try and get Malkin on your team. How bad does the other team need goaltending? You have 2 starters in a 30 league team so you may want to consider moving Anderson. His days are numbered in Ottawa and he is only an average goaltender who either runs really hot or really cold.
    Good suggestion, I might try it out. I only have to make sure it'll fit under the cap, but it should (Malkin is signed to 9M/ season for 7 more years in my league, Byf is signed 2 more years at 7,5M and Johansen's contract is up, but I figure he'll likely sign for more than 1,5M so it lowers my cap).

He has Fleury... but has also expressed an intent to maybe trade him. The only thing is that my Bishop's contract is up and I would have to make sure he resigns before trading Anderson, or else I may get stuck starting Carter Hutton or Richard Bachman...

Dobber Sports Titan

Pure skill I think Malkin is better, but I’d pick Stamkos. He improved his defensive game a lot last yr, it actually caused the injury weird enough (back check). In a real life situation, both have the same PPG potential, both are highly skilled, both are top player(s) on their teams. One however is the captain, one has missed 3 games in 5 seasons and 0 in 4 seasons, and this one’s injury won’t be a reoccurring injury like the other players injuries. Stamkos by far.

When it comes to Big Buff, I’d be offloading him. This yr I think he will be fine fantasy wise for a defense eligible forward, but in 2015-16 season I think he will no longer be a D-man in Yahoo. He is much more desirable with that position eligibility, so the second he loses it his value drops. Wait till you can show everyone this yr (season starts) he’s still a defenseman, but offload him quick. Maurice has already said he likes him on forward, and Winnipeg doesn’t quite fire coaches quickly so Buff is going to be a forward from now on.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports Deity

I have never played in a SIM league but if I were looking at Malkin or Stamkos in real life (which I think SIM is close to emulating), I would rather own Malkin.

On a side note, for a 30 team league, you have a solid looking team. Well done.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Giant

id go with malkin but ive never done a sim league.
    10 team Full Keeper Roto League
    4C-4LW-4RW-6D-2G-5bench-unlimited farm.

C= eichel,horvat,malkin,kuznetsov
    LW= forsberg,kreider,lee,b.tkchuch,hertle,granlund
    RW= reinhart,radulov,hoffman,laine,hayes
    D= doughty,ghostebehere,karlsson,jones,klefbom,dahlin ,skjei
    G= price,murray,grubauer,georgiev,ullmark,samsonov

under250gp=nichushkin,tuch,mathesson,marino,pujuja rvi,hosang,terry,andersson,j.hughes,patrik,crouse, zadina,podkolzin,k.miller,nedeljkovic,kravtsov,hay ton

--G,A,P,PPP,SHP,GWG,PIMS,+/-,SOG,hits,FOW,blks-Wins,GAA,SV%,saves,SO

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    I have never played in a SIM league but if I were looking at Malkin or Stamkos in real life (which I think SIM is close to emulating), I would rather own Malkin.

On a side note, for a 30 team league, you have a solid looking team. Well done.

agreed. i'm very interested to see what stamkos can do without st.louis this season