Thread: Simon Hjalmarsson signs with Columbus

Dobber Sports Stud

Default Simon Hjalmarsson signs with Columbus

http://bluejackets.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=721613

The Columbus Blue Jackets have signed forward Simon Hjalmarsson to a one-year, two-way (NHL/AHL) contract, club General Manager Jarmo Kekalainen announced today. The 6-0, 182-pound left winger has spent the past five seasons in the Swedish Hockey League, scoring 77 goals and registering 108 assists for 185 points in 271 games played with Rogle, Lulea and Linkoping.

Last season, Hjalmarsson tallied 27-30-57 in 55 games with Linkoping, finishing tied for third in the league in both goals and points. He added 5-4-9 in 14 playoff games. In 2012-13, he collected 12-31-43, 10 PIM and was +21 in 55 games during the regular season and 5-6-11 with eight PIM in 10 playoff games.

Hjalmarsson, 25, was originally a second round pick, 39th overall, of the St. Louis Blues in the 2007 NHL Draft. The Varnamo, Sweden, native has represented his country at several international tournaments, including the past two IIHF World Championships (2014- Bronze, 2013- Gold).

He won a silver medal with Team Sweden at the 2009 IIHF World Junior Championships in Ottawa, Ontario, Canada, and captured bronze at the 2007 IIHW World U-18 Championships in Tampere, Finland, where he led the Swedes in scoring with 4-5-9 in six games played.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Default Re: Simon Hjalmarsson signs with Columbus

Not surprised that Jarmo is signing one of his own draft picks form when he was with the Blues.
    GO WINGS!

Dobber Sports Stud

Anyone have an idea of whether he has a shot at making CBJ and what his upside could be?

I wonder if he could be a replacement for Umberger.
    Excelsior~ Ever Higher

Dear Mr. Fantasy play us a tune
    Something to make us all happy
    Do anything, take us out of this gloom
    Sing a song, play guitar, make it snappy~ Traffic

Dobber Sports Initiate

From Eliteprospects:

"Hjalmarsson is a skilled winger who plays a very well-rounded game. He owns great overall offensive ability and instincts, and is also a hard worker. Although not terribly big, Hjalmarsson is very good along the boards and hard to knock off the puck. Plays with lots of intensity and grit.
    - Erik K. Piri, EP (2014)"

Really old Hockeysfuture profile:

"Talent Analysis

A very well-rounded player, Hjalmarsson stands out with his speed, technical skills and intensity. He's a good goal scorer with a quick release and above average playmaking ability who has so far produced at all levels. Although he has plenty of flash offensively, Hjalmarsson is also a hard worker with excellent attitude and penalty killing ability. He needs to become stronger.
    Future

He could develop into a scoring winger in the NHL."

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/prospec...n_hjalmarsson/

The speed, intensity and pk ability suggest he might pull off a bottom-6 role in Columbus at least. What he does beyond that is anyone's guess. Probably heavily dependent on opportunity and chemistry with key Columbus players. One year, two-way means he either wins a spot this season, or he goes home next summer I'd imagine.

Dobber Sports Pro

I can tell you this much...from what I'm getting, he's someone who should definitely be on your radar in deep keeper leagues. Player comparable is Alex Steen.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

I was racking my brain on deciding whether I should take a flier on Hjalmarsson or Keränen in my dynasty for Kosmachuk. I ended up going with Keränen because of some articles/opinions I read. My team is in sig and any player out of Kosmachuk/Keränen/Hjalmarsson wouldn't really have an impact on my season next year. So I figured WTH, take a chance, hopefully it pays off down the road...

GMHL Dynasty
    14 Team H2H 27-Pro/20-Farm
    4C, 4LW, 4RW, 6D, 2G, 7BN, 4IR+
    G, A, PTS, +/-, PIM, PPP, GWG,SOG, HITS, BLKS
    W, GAA, SV, SV%, SHO

C: Tavares, Barkov, Malkin, Nielsen, Zibanejad
    LW: Lucic, Benn, Tatar, Fleischmann
    RW: Johansen, Tarasenko, Downie, Perron
    D: Doughty, Chara, Yandle, Edler, Seidenberg, Brodin, Wideman, Kulikov, Robidas
    G: Niemi, Nabokov, Mason, Emery, Reimer

Farm: Lazar, Nieto, Pulkkinen, Compher, Fiala, Vrana, Barber, Pastrnak, Larkin, McCann, Rattie, Rakell, Salomaki, Connelly, Keranen, Clendening, Borowiecki, Matheson, de Haan, Carrick, Gillies, Nilsson-KHL, Dansk, Stalock

Picks Owned:
    2015: 1st, 1st, 1st, 1st, 3rd

Dobber Sports Guru

here's the highlight reel from this past season:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a0dEuNhaNBM