Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Blackhawks offseason moves?

Banned

Default Re: Blackhawks offseason moves?

Shaw for #2 C? No, I don't think so. He's a perfect 3rd line C, I think that's where he'll have the biggest impact. Other than spotting some shifts in the top 6 I can't see the Hawks making him their full time #2.

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by mister_mcgoo View Post
    Shaw for #2 C? No, I don't think so. He's a perfect 3rd line C, I think that's where he'll have the biggest impact. Other than spotting some shifts in the top 6 I can't see the Hawks making him their full time #2.
    Agreed, long-term Shaw is not the answer at the 2C spot. But the thing with the Hawks is Pat Kane plays on that second line, so they don't really need a traditional center in that spot. Someone to take a faceoff, play some defense, and then step aside and let Kane do his thing, and Shaw can do all of that. Long-term though you're completely right, Shaw should be a 3rd liner. I really think Kruger needs to be in the 3C spot, so put Shaw next to him with Morin on the other side and there's a killer 3rd line....just kinda waiting on Teravainen to be ready before that can happen.
    20 Team Dynasty (points per) - G (25, 50 for defense) A (25) PIM (3) PPP (15) SHP (25) OTG (15) GWG (25) HTr (50) SOW (75) HIT (1) BLK (2) W (50) SHO (100) OTL (10) GA (-15) SV (2) Use actual NHL salary

Start 12 F, 6 D, 1G weekly

F: Kucherov, Marchand, Barkov, Gaudreau, Laine, Aho, Dubois, Dadonov, Huberdeau, Trocheck, Bertuzzi, Beauvillier, Khaira, Grigorenko

D: Ekman-Larsson, Yandle, Edler, Pulock, Borowiecki, Weegar, Mike Reilly

G: Andersen, Hart

Farm: Boldy, Beckman, Wise, Mascherin, Kovalenko, Manukyan, Walker, Morozov, Shafigullin, Palmu, Tychonic, Zhuravlyov, Kesselring, Zamula, Lankinen, Sogaard, Ingram, Rybar

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Fast Tony DeNiro View Post
    Agreed, long-term Shaw is not the answer at the 2C spot. But the thing with the Hawks is Pat Kane plays on that second line, so they don't really need a traditional center in that spot. Someone to take a faceoff, play some defense, and then step aside and let Kane do his thing, and Shaw can do all of that. Long-term though you're completely right, Shaw should be a 3rd liner. I really think Kruger needs to be in the 3C spot, so put Shaw next to him with Morin on the other side and there's a killer 3rd line....just kinda waiting on Teravainen to be ready before that can happen.
    Maybe, I guess we'll see soon enough, I kinda expect them to sign a vet short term (1 or 2 years) to fill that role while TT works his way up the depth chart. Can you imagine Kane and TT setting each other up? Yikes!

Dobber Sports Stud

I noticed Brandon Saad taking a fair number of faceoffs for the Saad/Shaw/Kane line, maybe thats an option they'll try again, this time with a little more warning so Saad can prepare over the summer?

Do you guys think Clendening will have a shot at the roster next year? He continues to impress and it seems as if he's more than ready. Bowman is pretty high on him too. Maybe they can use someone like Leddy as a chip to help bring in a 2C and in turn also make room for Clendening?

Similarly, is anyone really still giving Rundblad a shot? He just can't seem to get a grip on a solid roster spot anywhere.

Dobber Sports Wizard

I think they should consider moving Bickell..........

Dobber Sports Sage

Handzus- Will not be resigned.
    Versteeg- Will be traded to clear up cap space. Versteeg was a major disappointment with the Hawks and was practically nonexistent in the playoffs. Plus, he is easy to replace from within.
    Rosival- He has a modified no-trade clause so it will be harder to trade him. Plus, he is a solid veteran for the 3rd D pairing.
    Brookbank- As much as Q likes him, I don't think he'll be resigned. The Hawks need to give some minutes to Clendening, Johns, and Rundblad because the following year will see some big changes on the blue line. Plus, they can find someone at the deadline if they need a #7.
    Regin- Depends on the contract. Could be resigned if under a mil.
    Raanta- See Regin.

Overall, the Hawks will have very few changes from this season. The only change I see them making is trading Versteeg to get under the cap. I see the lines by the end of next season shaping out something like this:
    Toews, Kane, Saad
    TT, Hossa, Sharp (TT gets support from a couple vets)
    Shaw, Bickell, Morin
    Kruger, Bollig, Smith (Nordstrom, Regin)

Keith, Seabrook
    Hammer, Oduya
    Leddy, Rosy
    Rundblad/Johns/Clendening

Couple other notes:
    1) TT is not ready for full-time minutes but he is not a liability on D which is what gets players in Q's doghouse (Versteeg, Pirri, Morin, ect). So that definitely works in his favor of spending more time in the NHL early in the season.
    2) Ben Smith IMO needs to be resigned. He is an RFA and is a good depth player. He is very versatile and has played anywhere from the 4th to 2nd line. And he scores BIG goals.
    3) Resigning Raanta is not a priority. There are many good backup goalies that are available. The Hawks signed Crawford for 6 seasons at 6 mil per. They don't have the luxury of having a higher paid backup.
    4) Did someone really say to resign Seabrook for 9-10 Mil? That will not happen. He has scored some big goals but his play has been lackluster overall the last two seasons. He has a concussion history and just plays lazy at times. Keith makes up for a lot of his mistakes. Seabrook's contract expires in 2 more seasons when he'll be 31. At that time Hammer becomes the SAH D man with Keith and you let him go. Hammer is already better than Seabrook and has been for a while.
    5) When Kane and Toews need to be resigned, Oduya and Rosival will be coming off the books (5.5 M). They'll be replaced from within so you'll save around 4 M. Spread that out to Kane and Toews and you're at 8.3 M. I don't think it will be as difficult to get those guys signed as some do. Plus, Leddy and his 2.7 M might be moved if he doesn't take a big step forward in 2014-15.
    6) If the Hawks trade any "core" player in the next couple years it will be Sharp. He has some clauses on his contract so it will be an obstacle but he is a player that could be replaced as he ages.
    7) Bickell at 4 mil per is an asset. He brings size that can skate and shoot which is not found anywhere else on the team. He is not getting traded.
    10 Team, 60 Player Roster
    G, A, PTS, PPP, PIM, BLKs, Hits, +/-, Shots, W, GAA, SV%, Saves
    C- JHughes, Trocheck, RThomas, Zegras, Norris, Bennett, PLD, Stephenson, Danualt
    RW- Raymond, Stone, TWilson, Toffoli, KJohnson, Nyqvist, Zary
    LW- Keller, Schmaltz, Bunting, Skinner, Barbashev, Duclair
    D- QHughes, McAvoy, Doughty, Heiskanen, LHughes, Mintyukov
    G- Shesterkin, Demko, Andersen, Kahkonen, Levi, Tarasov, Annunen

Notable Prospects- Nikishin, Kulich, Leonard, Wood, Perreault, Lekkermaki, Ostlund, Othmman, REvans, L-Heureux, Ivanov, Murashov

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by petegreg21 View Post
    Do you guys think Clendening will have a shot at the roster next year? He continues to impress and it seems as if he's more than ready. Bowman is pretty high on him too. Maybe they can use someone like Leddy as a chip to help bring in a 2C and in turn also make room for Clendening?
    I think Clendening will be the first call up this season, although Rundblad will be in the mix for that spot. The Hawks have their powerplay lines set pretty well on the blue line and if Clendening isn't coming up to get some PP time, I imagine he'll stay in the AHL to continue work on his defensive game. If the Hawks are looking for more mobility and puck moving on their bottom pair at the start of the season, I think Rundblad will get the first crack.

And I still HATE the Bickell contract. Sure he "steps up" in the playoffs I suppose, but 4 million is a good sized anchor to drag around for the first 82 games when he scores his 15 goals and 25 points, and what happens if he bombs in a playoff run? I think they should have let him walk and replaced him with Jimmy Hayes (who, you know, outscored him this season in less games)....would have saved about 3.5 million in cap space.
    20 Team Dynasty (points per) - G (25, 50 for defense) A (25) PIM (3) PPP (15) SHP (25) OTG (15) GWG (25) HTr (50) SOW (75) HIT (1) BLK (2) W (50) SHO (100) OTL (10) GA (-15) SV (2) Use actual NHL salary

Start 12 F, 6 D, 1G weekly

F: Kucherov, Marchand, Barkov, Gaudreau, Laine, Aho, Dubois, Dadonov, Huberdeau, Trocheck, Bertuzzi, Beauvillier, Khaira, Grigorenko

D: Ekman-Larsson, Yandle, Edler, Pulock, Borowiecki, Weegar, Mike Reilly

G: Andersen, Hart

Farm: Boldy, Beckman, Wise, Mascherin, Kovalenko, Manukyan, Walker, Morozov, Shafigullin, Palmu, Tychonic, Zhuravlyov, Kesselring, Zamula, Lankinen, Sogaard, Ingram, Rybar