Thread: Rinne or St. Louis Tandem

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Default Rinne or St. Louis Tandem

Pretty sure it's a no brainer, but I just want some other eyes on the deal here. Also notice I can only have 10 keepers but I have a good idea of what I wanna do this off-season. The goalies I have are in my sig. I have Allen, and I was thinking of going out and getting Elliot. I offered the other GM who has Elliot, Rinne. We both agree Rinne is the better goaltender but Elliot is on the way better team. He won't do a straight across trade, so hopefully I can just add a pick. I'm not sure how high of a pick yet, but we are still playing with the idea, he's still unsure if he wants to move Elliot. Do you fellas think it's worth letting go of Rinne and chasing Elliot and securing the St. Louis tandem? And if so, at what cost?

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Default Re: Rinne or St. Louis Tandem

I'd keep Rinne personally.
    1) He's still Rinne, even though it was a brutal year.
    2) He will get more wins and shutouts than Elliot, since Allen will probably muscle into 25-35% of the starts. You are forfeiting a certain #1 for a guy in a platoon (regardless of the fact you have the other side of the platoon).
    3) His peripherals will probably be better in any given year, although goalies are frustratingly inconsistent as a whole year-to-year.
    4) Elliot himself is incredibly frustrating in his inconsistency. He has Craig Anderson-itis. He's either a stud or he totally sucks.
    The other owner seriously wants you to add the pick? I would say I want Elliot plus for Rinne if you desire the handcuff that bad. Use these points as your fodder as you barter, sell the case to the other owner. Or just stay put if he won't add to the package, I just value Rinne more - I'd want Elliot plus a top-75 player (O'Reilly/McDonagh/Hossa/Voracek/Johansen/Palat to name a few that might work for me). Wait for more responses to see if I'm insane though.
    12 Team H2H. Full Keeper
    G/A/Points/PIM/PPP/FOW/SOG/HIT/BLK/W/GAA/SV/SV%/SO
    Malkin, Seguin, Perry, Monahan, TJohnson, Wheeler, Lucic, Nichushkin, Drouin, Datsyuk, Hossa, Holland, Bouma, Nieto, Colborne, Prust, Jooris
    Subban, Savard, Dillon, Murphy, Prout, Petrovic
    Lundqvist, Rinne

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Last point, I think you should think of the deal the other way around--what would he give you for Allen? He's bound to pay a premium since he already has Elliott. That way you keep Rinne and you remain solid in goal with your other goalie options. Just don't sell low, try to get someone in that top-75 range.
    12 Team H2H. Full Keeper
    Malkin, Seguin, Perry, Monahan, TJohnson, Wheeler, Lucic, Nichushkin, Drouin, Datsyuk, Hossa, Holland, Bouma, Nieto, Colborne, Prust, Jooris
    Lundqvist, Rinne

Dobber Sports Superstar

My goodness, thank god he didn't take Rinne for Elliot striaght up. That would have been horrendous.

Rinne is by far the better goalie. Elliot is not and will not be a full time starter. He will split time with Allen while St. Louis eases Allen into the NHL and builds him up to their fulltime starter. Elliot only has value as a third goalie or in a tandem with Allen. I like the idea of acquiring Elliot for Rinne, but only if you get a solid piece back in addition to Elliot similar to what the Yeti has said above.

I would consider moving Howard for Elliot straight up, but his value is pretty low right now.

Moving Allen isn't a bad idea considering you have Andersen/Gibson and Holtby in the wings, but as stated, you need to make sure you get a solid piece back and don't sell him short.

Dobber Sports Rookie

You want to trade Rinne for Elliot and he wants you to add a pick? No deal. He should be the one adding. and he would have to add a lot before I made the deal. Rinne has a far better track record. There's no guarantee that both Elliot and Allen stumble and force St. Louis to add another goalie.

As other have said, Elliot is veeeeery inconsistent, which is why this 30 year old has only been able to hold onto a starter's role for one year. His numbers are almost predictable. Have a good year, get people thinking you're a potential starter, then let everyone down on the next year.

Allen is the better horse to own in this race, and with only 21 NHL games under his belt, he has a lot to prove. I would hold on to Rinne and Allen. You have a workhorse starter and a guy with a decent shot at starting for St. Louis. Sure, owning tandems are great, but you have enough depth at goalie that you should get the starts you need.

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Keep Rinne.
    YOU are in the driver's seat with Allen.
    You've got 1.5 goalies... he's got 0.5 goalies.

Elliott falters and HIS team is in trouble.

Hold Rinne.
    Don't forget he was a consensus top three goalie going into each of the last two years. (Lundqvist, Quick, Rinne)

Dobber Sports Titan

Rinne is a workhorse of a goalie too; he’s going to get you 60-70 games played. From 2010-2013 (lockout yr), he played 180 of 212 games. Keep him and try and get another goalie tandem. Something cheap will allow you to lock down your goalies. Holtby + Grubauer, or a Carolina tandem would do the trick. You’re selling low on one of the more stable goaltending options fantasy hockey has.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports Stud

Rinne is extremely undervalued right now... Yes he still has to prove that he recovered well next season, but he has earned that right with the quality of fantasy seasons he gave his owners previously. Plus, you have to think that his tenure at the World Championships was encouraging. He basically extended his season, reinforced his hip, and posted a .928 save percentage in the process.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Just lop-sided eh, right on. Easy choice to make then. Yeah, maybe i'm just fed up with Rinne for what he has brought to the table the last two years. Also with Howard's and Holtby's performance last year, i'm just fed up with my goalie situation all together. It hurt my team bad this year. I'll be patient and fish around more I suppose before I dish any goalies. Thanks to everyone!

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Great choice. You won't regret that decision like you would have trading him.
    12 Team H2H. Full Keeper
    Lundqvist, Rinne

Dobber Sports Superstar

I would be keeping Rinne too, I like the option of trading him allen, as you have other goalie options. You are the one trading from strength. As stated I would be getting a keeper forward for Allen ( trade him and someone for a better keeper).
    I hear you regarding Howard, also going down that road, but I will hang on to him as Detroit is going to be on the upswing next year, they can't have as many injuries - can they?
    Piranha Hockey League est 1990 - Oakley Doakley's - 16 teams
    Pts only W=2 OL=1 SO=3 Auction Draft

WHL - est 2016 Expansion - Glasgow Kiss - 24 teams
    25 pro players / 10 minor league players
    G,A,+/-,PPP,SOG,Hits,Blk,PIM,FOW, W,Sv,GA,SHO

The Great One

Tbh I don't think Elliott carries St Louis and in I could honestly see Allen being the starter by end of the first quarter... Elliot is a 1b option and nowhere near the value of Rinne... Though the appeal of carrying both goalies on a team like St. Louis is a

The Great One

Tbh I don't think Elliott carries St Louis and in I could honestly see Allen being the starter by end of the first quarter... Elliot is a 1b option and nowhere near the value of Rinne... Though the appeal of carrying both goalies on a team like St. Louis is appealing I think you could get more by targeting another team and offering rinne if you aren't sold on him...

Dobber Sports Wizard

Rinne.........easy choice.