Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Is Devan Dubnyk's career over?

Dobber Sports Master

Default Re: Is Devan Dubnyk's career over?

The islanders have no goaltending depth whatsoever and Snow likes his reclamation projects .

Even if they get Halak under contract they still need a backup that can spell Halak during his groin tweaks .

I supppose dubnyk either takes and offer from KHL or trys to carve a niche as a good backup in the NHL with hopes of becoming a starter again .

Dobber Sports Titan

If Reimer leaves Toronto I wouldn’t be upset to see Duby in Toronto. I don’t think it would be an ideal situation for him, due to shaky confidence. But as a Leafs fan I wouldn’t be totally mad if they had him just as a backup.
    I can’t say I know if Toronto fired their goalie coach during the “assistant coach” firings, but if it’s the same one as last yr, I feel like he could work with Duby. He’s worked with Reimer and Bernier, both different style goalies and both young.

As a side note, most teams/goalie coaches don’t give up on big goalies. Bishop and Rinne were both late bloomers so to speak and both are tall. Lindback is big and he wasn’t given up on even though his stats are not great. Positioning you can teach, being 6’6” is something that comes naturally.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by Fast Tony DeNiro View Post
    .916 sv% over 35 games in 2010-11
    .914 sv% over 47 games in 2011-12
    .920 sv% over 38 games in 2012-13

Considering the team he was playing behind, those are pretty solid numbers. If he is really so awful, how did he post those stats over a span over 120+ games? I just don't buy it, I think he was a victim of "our team has so many issues, just blame the goalie" in Edmonton.

Obviously something went bad this year, he wasn't able to latch on in Nashville or Montreal either. But to say that he should have never sniffed the NHL in the first place....I don't know if I buy that.
    Good post! Was my inclination as well but too lazy to find and post! LOL
    16 Team H2H League (Keep 6)
    3C - 3LW - 3RW - 6D - 2G

2013 1st place, 2014 1st place, 2015 1st place
    G, A, +/-, PIM, SOG, HIT, BLK GS, W, GAA, SV%, SO
    C= Stall, Marchessault, Hayes, Suzuki
    LW= Svechnikov, Goodrow, DeBrusk,
    RW= P.Kane, Kucherov, Fiala, Johnson
    D= Rielly, Borowieki, Fowler, Hagg, Murphy
    G= Demko, Samsonov, Jarry, Allen, Shesterkin, Talbot

Dobber Sports Padawan

I'd say its a bit of a reach to say his career is over. But his future is certainly not with the Habs who have Price as their #1 and also have Budaj and Tokarski signed for next season, He most certainly could get a backup job somewhere and could be a good signing who can help push the #1 guy to be better / keep his job.

Administrator

If he can't find a backup gig he can always find a #3 role where one or both of the NHL guys have a history of getting hurt often. That could get him back in the picture quickly.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Titan

Maybe a 3 yr in the Isle? History shows Halak can’t hold down a starting job for more than a few yrs. Nothing against Halak, I like him and he should be a starter, but he just never seems to lock a starting role down
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Quote Originally Posted by Fast Tony DeNiro View Post
    .916 sv% over 35 games in 2010-11
    .914 sv% over 47 games in 2011-12
    .920 sv% over 38 games in 2012-13

Considering the team he was playing behind, those are pretty solid numbers. If he is really so awful, how did he post those stats over a span over 120+ games? I just don't buy it, I think he was a victim of "our team has so many issues, just blame the goalie" in Edmonton.

Obviously something went bad this year, he wasn't able to latch on in Nashville or Montreal either. But to say that he should have never sniffed the NHL in the first place....I don't know if I buy that.
    I was just about to reply to Shiva Blaster with Dubnyk's stats as well.

I failed to see the logic of his argument that he couldn't hack it on the worst team in the NHL... Is it not MORE impressive for a goalie to put up good numbers on a shitty team?

Edmonton ruined him. If anyone remembers, when he went to Nashville, Trotz said "We got Devan from Edmonton, and what we realized very quickly was that Devan has a lot of… I’ll say bad habits he’s picked up this year." That's an indictment of Edmonton. The team has had him from the ground up, so it was there job to instill good habits in him. And all their prospects for that matter.

Dubnyk could have been a very solid goalie, but Edmonton killed his development much like they've done with almost every prospect they've touched. Bunch of ********.

Dobber Sports Master

I think for our purposes, his career is over. He wont be fantasy relevant next year and that is all we care about. He wont be fantasy relevant ever again unless he gets a change of scenery. We could review the situation if that ever happens.

Dobber Sports Veteran

He was bad at the beginning of the year in Edmonton but was solid before that. I think they should've brought in Khudobin or Greisz to challenge him rather than make an offer for Schneider (confidence killer) then not making him compete by bringing in a career backup goalie in Labarbera.
    The Oiler fans never gave him any praise for his efforts here when he probably deserved some.

I hope he rebounds to carve out an NHL career.
    12 tm pts only dynasty
    F (count 12): Bedard, Boldy, Beniers, Cooley, Michkov, Norris, Landeskog, Rossi, Reichel, Pelletier, Tomasino, Foerster, Bordeleau, Lysell, Wahlstrom, Bourque, Stankoven, Nazar, Othmann, Ostlund, O.Moore
    D (count 6): McAvoy, Kylington, Byram, Boqvist, Perunovich, Lundkvist, L.Hughes, Zellweger, Morrow
    G (count 2): Askarov, Wallstedt, Wolf, Kochetkov, Levi
    3 round draft and 1 waiver per team per year