Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: [Firing] PIT: Shero Fired. Bylsma not (?) fired.

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

Default Re: [Firing] PIT: Shero Fired. Bylsma not (?) fired.

Quote Originally Posted by fungchen3 View Post
    This is funny though lol.
    This is just plain HILARIOUS!! Love the duster on good'ol DB..

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by agentzero View Post
    The rumour about keeping him from WSH by holding onto his contract is a funny/curious one. If WSH really wanted Bylsma and Bylsma wanted out, I have a feeling he'd approach the President/ownership to be let out of his deal. I don't think he could be unreasonably held to his contract if it was clear both parties wanted out..
    But wouldn't that void his contract? I'm sure he would rather get fired and still collect those 2 years of salary rather than voiding his contract and losing that money.
    Fantrax - Salary cap dynasty - cap hit - H2H each category
    Start: 2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 2UTIL, 2G, 6 Bench, 4IR
    Cats: G, A, +/-, PIM, STG, STA, SOG, FOW, GWG, Hits, BLK, W, GAA, Saves, SV%, SO

C: Getzlaf, Turris, Eakin, ____
    LW: Kunitz, MacArthur, Pacioretty, ____
    RW: Little (C), Tarasenko, Eriksson (LW)
    D: Pietrangelo, JJ, Streit, Brodie, Benn, ____
    G: Lundqvist, Bishop, Holtby

Farm: Grigorenko, H Lindholm, Faksa, Collberg, Grimaldi, Lee, K Hayes, G Carey, Schmaltz
    G: Grubauer, Gudlevskis

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by rataylor22 View Post
    There is no difference to the coach. There is a difference to fan/media/public perception, and a fairly large one at that, which I'm sure matters much more to ownership than the feelings of a coach they are done with.
    Personally I'm more pissed that they didn't fire Bylsma.
    Cats: G, A, +/-, PIM, STG, STA, SOG, FOW, GWG, Hits, BLK, W, GAA, Saves, SV%, SO

Farm: Grigorenko, H Lindholm, Faksa, Collberg, Grimaldi, Lee, K Hayes, G Carey, Schmaltz

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by letangerang58 View Post
    But wouldn't that void his contract? I'm sure he would rather get fired and still collect those 2 years of salary rather than voiding his contract and losing that money.
    Wow, the Caps would be a great fit actually, but in his shoes of course you have to guarantee the money first and wait to get fired.

Dobber Sports Veteran

The thing about holding onto bylsma to keep him from other teams would be a dumb strategy imo. If they keep him around then they can't sign a new coach. If they wait too long the guy they want may end up getting snatched up by another team.

Banned

Not sure how much stock to put into it but Bob McKenzie is on recrod as saying that there's no way Bylsma will be back with PIT, I dont know if he has inside inforomation or if thats just speculation on his part

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by MolsonX View Post
    Since winning the Cup in 2009, apparently the Penguins have lost in every playoffs to a lower seed - how both Bylsma and Shero weren't fired at the same time is beyond logical.
    really? that's telling isn't it?
    I don't necessarily think that there's anything wrong with either coach or GM but this is more a case of needing to shake things up and go in a different direction. They have a great shot to win another cup or two with the personnel that they have and they just weren't getting it done for whatever reason, time to try something new

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by rumplestiltskin View Post
    Not sure how much stock to put into it but Bob McKenzie is on recrod as saying that there's no way Bylsma will be back with PIT, I dont know if he has inside inforomation or if thats just speculation on his part
    The delay is just bizarre, get on with it - why is there a need to put the decision on the new/interim GM.

Dobber Sports Legend

The more I evaluate it, I think the Shero firing was unfortunate. The Pens have underachieved and someone needs to take the fall, I get it. But it's been leaking out now that Shero had a trade worked out for Letang and it was nixed by ownership. He also didn't want to sign Letang to that hefty contract but ownership wanted him to stay. If that's the case, Shero shouldn't be the only one talking the fall here. Letang's massive hit limited what the Pens could bring in at the deadline (and beyond) to fill other holes. Perhaps they could have spent more to bring in a W for Crosby like Vanek or Moulson? Moving forward, having an additional $7 mil + would give the Pens flexibility to fill other pressing holes. Martin, Maatta and Pouliot could supply plenty of offense from the point for the Pens and Letang isn't that great in his own end so he is replaceable. The Pens would be better off spending $6 mil for Girardi as a UFA in the summer and promoting Pouliot than keeping Letang who is always hurt anyway.
    8-GM / WK-H2H
    Forwards: G=2, A=1, PP/SH= +1, GWG= +2, Shootout G=1, HT= +1
    D-Men/Captain: G=3/A=2
    Goalies: W=3, OTL=1, SO= +2, SV= .10

Start = 13F, 6D, 2G / Keep 44 (3G)
    Captain: Matthews
    (F): MacKinnon, Pasta, Marner, Rantanen, Malkin, Barkov, M.Tkachuk, W.Nylander, Pettersson, Gaudreau, Laine, Keller, Miller, B.Tkachuk, Stutzle, DeBrincat, L.Raymond, K.Johnson, Cozens, Quinn, Guenther, Kulich, Cooley
    (D): Makar, Dahlin, Q.Hughes, Ekblad, Rielly, Werenski, Letang, Jones, Chychrun,
    Seider, Edvinsson, Jiricek, Korchinski, Mintyukov, Ceulemans, Hutson
    (G): Shesterkin, Demko, Vejmelka

Dobber Sports Wizard

The more I evaluate it, I think the Shero firing was unfortunate. The Pens have underachieved and someone needs to take the fall, I get it. But it's been leaking out now that Shero had a trade worked out for Letang and it was nixed by ownership. He also didn't want to sign Letang to that hefty contract but ownership wanted him to stay. If that's the case, Shero shouldn't be the only one talking the fall here. Letang's massive hit limited what the Pens could bring in at the deadline (and beyond) to fill other holes. Perhaps they could have spent more to bring in a W for Crosby like Vanek or Moulson? Moving forward, having an additional $7 mil + would give the Pens flexibility to fill other pressing holes. Martin, Maatta and Pouliot could supply plenty of offense from the point for the Pens and Letang isn't that great in his own end so he is replaceable. The Pens would be better off spending $6 mil for Girardi as a UFA in the summer and promoting Pouliot than keeping Letang who is always hurt anyway.
    If this is the case, Shero will have the last laugh when he gets signed by another team. I didn't mind the Letang contract, but the term was outrageous - a three year deal made more sense.

Dobber Sports Legend

Quote Originally Posted by MolsonX View Post
    If this is the case, Shero will have the last laugh when he gets signed by another team. I didn't mind the Letang contract, but the term was outrageous - a three year deal made more sense.
    Yeah, the only reason I can see Shero being fired is if he put his neck on the line for Bylsma if ownership wanted him gone last year. But it doesn't make sense that they would keep Bylsma around unless they ordered Shero to fire him and he said no so they fired him instead. Something similar happened in Philly when Snider told Clarke to fire hitchcock and Clarke resigned the moment he was forced to let Hitch go. Maybe Shero believed the failure fell at the feet of the players and not the coach?
    8-GM / WK-H2H

(F): MacKinnon, Pasta, Marner, Rantanen, Malkin, Barkov, M.Tkachuk, W.Nylander, Pettersson, Gaudreau, Laine, Keller, Miller, B.Tkachuk, Stutzle, DeBrincat, L.Raymond, K.Johnson, Cozens, Quinn, Guenther, Kulich, Cooley
    (D): Makar, Dahlin, Q.Hughes, Ekblad, Rielly, Werenski, Letang, Jones, Chychrun,

Dobber Sports Wizard

Yeah, the only reason I can see Shero being fired is if he put his neck on the line for Bylsma if ownership wanted him gone last year. But it doesn't make sense that they would keep Bylsma around unless they ordered Shero to fire him and he said no so they fired him instead. Something similar happened in Philly when Snider told Clarke to fire hitchcock and Clarke resigned the moment he was forced to let Hitch go. Maybe Shero believed the failure fell at the feet of the players and not the coach?

Interesting points - reading between the lines, fung. You may very well be dead on.
    League:Fantrax 18 Team Dynasty, H2H (4C, 8W, 6D, 1G)
    Cats:G, A, GWG, PPP, SHP, SOG, H+B, FOW, S, SV%, W, GAA

C: Backstrom,Giroux,MacKinnon,Seguin
    W:
    D.Brown,Hartnell,Hossa,P.Kane
    Kesler,Marleau,Perron,Zibanejad

D: Boyle,Del Zotto,Doughty,D.Hamilton,Hedman,Markov
    G: Rinne
    Bench: Braun,Comeau, Demers,DeHaan,Polak,Stempniak,Wingels --Fleury

Dobber Sports Legend

Quote Originally Posted by One87 View Post
    Interesting points - reading between the lines, fung. You may very well be dead on.
    I'm just speculating here. But it seems like a classic example of ownership, the GM, the coach and the players all being on separate pages. It's never a good thing when ownership dictates player personnel decisions - it's backfired in Philly for many years now.
    8-GM / WK-H2H

Dobber Sports Wizard

I'm just speculating here. But it seems like a classic example of ownership, the GM, the coach and the players all being on separate pages. It's never a good thing when ownership dictates player personnel decisions - it's backfired in Philly for many years now.

Yeah, the letting go of Shero and potential "retaining" of Bylsma clearly shows a divide with in the Pens' organization. Seems to be a reflection of what has transpired with them getting booted come crunch time in the playoffs.. They better right this ship and right it quick! The Crosby/Malkin window has been oped for a while now.
    League:Fantrax 18 Team Dynasty, H2H (4C, 8W, 6D, 1G)
    Cats:G, A, GWG, PPP, SHP, SOG, H+B, FOW, S, SV%, W, GAA

C: Backstrom,Giroux,MacKinnon,Seguin
    W:
    D.Brown,Hartnell,Hossa,P.Kane
    Kesler,Marleau,Perron,Zibanejad

D: Boyle,Del Zotto,Doughty,D.Hamilton,Hedman,Markov
    G: Rinne
    Bench: Braun,Comeau, Demers,DeHaan,Polak,Stempniak,Wingels --Fleury

Dobber Sports Wizard

Makes a ton of sense, but if they were ordering Shero to fire Bylsma, why not just fire them both at the same time if they want Bylsma gone.

I'm a believer in the theory that the Pens don't want Bylsma to get scooped by a rival team. They are probably waiting for a team from the West to inquire - that way they can get out of the contract and ensure he's coaching in the other Conference.