Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: [Firing] PIT: Shero Fired. Bylsma not (?) fired.

Dobber Sports Master

Default Re: [Firing] PIT: Shero Fired. Bylsma not (?) fired.

Quote Originally Posted by fungchen3 View Post
    If the rumored divide between Crosby and Bylsma is true, the Pens should have fired him with Shero. The only way I see keeping Bylsma is if you're going to let your new GM decide to either keep the coach OR the player. In this case, there's zero chance of Crosby being traded so show some dignity and don't keep Bylsma out there to hang and rot in front of the media and fans alike. Bylsma has a right to search for a new job and enjoy his summer with his family. This is puzzling.
    I completely agree with this. Why leave the motzeh ball out there...? Waiting for the new GM to do it is illusory.. Just pull the plug if there's that much of an irreparable rift between the franchise (player) and the coach. You ain't trading the franchise (player)... so the coach (for right or for wrong), goes..
    Blades of Steel
    9 Team Full Keeper - Pts Only (G,A,W,SO)

Crosby, Wheeler, Bergeron, Forsberg, Connor, Kopitar, E.Lindholm, Pastrnak, DeBrincat, Fiala
    Jones, Klingberg, Hamilton, Theodore, Letang
    Saros, Shesterkin
    Garland, Vrana, Bjorkstrand, Verhaege, Backstrom, Karlsson, Perunovich, Spurgeon, Pulock, Hellebuyck

Dobber Sports Legend

This is funny though lol.
    8-GM / WK-H2H
    Forwards: G=2, A=1, PP/SH= +1, GWG= +2, Shootout G=1, HT= +1
    D-Men/Captain: G=3/A=2
    Goalies: W=3, OTL=1, SO= +2, SV= .10

Start = 13F, 6D, 2G / Keep 44 (3G)
    Captain: Matthews
    (F): MacKinnon, Pasta, Marner, Rantanen, Malkin, Barkov, M.Tkachuk, W.Nylander, Pettersson, Gaudreau, Laine, Keller, Miller, B.Tkachuk, Stutzle, DeBrincat, L.Raymond, K.Johnson, Cozens, Quinn, Guenther, Kulich, Cooley
    (D): Makar, Dahlin, Q.Hughes, Ekblad, Rielly, Werenski, Letang, Jones, Chychrun,
    Seider, Edvinsson, Jiricek, Korchinski, Mintyukov, Ceulemans, Hutson
    (G): Shesterkin, Demko, Vejmelka

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by agentzero View Post
    I would respond by saying: what's the difference to the coach? Fired by A or fired by B is still fired. Yeah sure you could argue the optics of it, but you can't tell me in the analogous situation of Tortorella and Vancouver that Linden made his own independent assessment to fire Torts. He met the guy twice and never had him coach a game under him and fired him like 4 days later. I think it's semantics to keep the coach around unless the ownership really feels the coach should stay. But in this case we're hearing the opposite. Put him out of his misery and fire him with Shero.

The rumour about keeping him from WSH by holding onto his contract is a funny/curious one. If WSH really wanted Bylsma and Bylsma wanted out, I have a feeling he'd approach the President/ownership to be let out of his deal. I don't think he could be unreasonably held to his contract if it was clear both parties wanted out..
    There is no difference to the coach. There is a difference to fan/media/public perception, and a fairly large one at that, which I'm sure matters much more to ownership than the feelings of a coach they are done with.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

best thing i've seen all day haha

Dobber Sports Legend

Quote Originally Posted by rataylor22 View Post
    There is no difference to the coach. There is a difference to fan/media/public perception, and a fairly large one at that, which I'm sure matters much more to ownership than the feelings of a coach they are done with.
    I'm not sure about the fan/media perception angle. Everyone, fans and media included, EXPECTED Bylsma to be relieved of his duties. There would have been no damage control if he was fired along with Shero. If they feel it's in their best (business) interest to hold onto Bylsma until other coaching vacancies are filled around the league, so be it. But it's a terrible thing to do do to a man who did his very best for your organization IMO. If you feel he's not good enough for the job, let the man toss his hat into the ring and find future employment.
    8-GM / WK-H2H
    Forwards: G=2, A=1, PP/SH= +1, GWG= +2, Shootout G=1, HT= +1
    D-Men/Captain: G=3/A=2
    Goalies: W=3, OTL=1, SO= +2, SV= .10

Start = 13F, 6D, 2G / Keep 44 (3G)
    Captain: Matthews
    (F): MacKinnon, Pasta, Marner, Rantanen, Malkin, Barkov, M.Tkachuk, W.Nylander, Pettersson, Gaudreau, Laine, Keller, Miller, B.Tkachuk, Stutzle, DeBrincat, L.Raymond, K.Johnson, Cozens, Quinn, Guenther, Kulich, Cooley
    (D): Makar, Dahlin, Q.Hughes, Ekblad, Rielly, Werenski, Letang, Jones, Chychrun,
    Seider, Edvinsson, Jiricek, Korchinski, Mintyukov, Ceulemans, Hutson
    (G): Shesterkin, Demko, Vejmelka

Dobber Sports Master

The Bylsma moustache literally sells that one so good. Amazing.
    Blades of Steel

Crosby, Wheeler, Bergeron, Forsberg, Connor, Kopitar, E.Lindholm, Pastrnak, DeBrincat, Fiala
    Saros, Shesterkin
    Garland, Vrana, Bjorkstrand, Verhaege, Backstrom, Karlsson, Perunovich, Spurgeon, Pulock, Hellebuyck

Dobber Sports Master

I'm not sure about the fan/media perception angle. Everyone, fans and media included, EXPECTED Bylsma to be relieved of his duties. There would have been no damage control if he was fired along with Shero. If they feel it's in their best (business) interest to hold onto Bylsma until other coaching vacancies are filled around the league, so be it. But it's a terrible thing to do do to a man who did his very best for your organization IMO. If you feel he's not good enough for the job, let the man toss his hat into the ring and find future employment.
    Agree again. Fans, media and just about everyone can see right through this one. Unless there is some public wave of support from ownership on Bylsma paired with this, it's a pro forma exercise from ownership to basically distance themselves from the firing of Bylsma (whom they want to fire anyway..). Very moot move IMO for even the least cynical or keen of observers..
    Blades of Steel

Saros, Shesterkin

Dobber Sports Wizard

Well said - it's obvious the team needs to move in a different direction. I wonder how Vancouver is feeling about watching AV in the Eastern Final......

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Stayin' alive video...
    Beauty... pure beauty!

Dobber Sports Ace

Default Re: [Firing] PIT: Bylsma Fired. Shero Fired.

Quote Originally Posted by STONE. View Post
    Thought I read somewhere that Malkin has implied that Pittsburgh and Russia are the only places he's playing for.
    I wish I could remember where I saw that. Maybe I'm making it up, but I don't think so.

Kesler to Pitt would be great for Kesler, but I'm not sure the Nucks would get what they'd want from Pitt.
    Pitt has some good D prospects, but I think the Canucks would need a roster player as well (and a 1st) -- at least that was the demand earlier, and if anything the urgency should've settled a bit on dealing him (not sure how he's feeling after GM and Coach getting canned).

I suppose Sutter is an option.
    If I was PIT, I would not be too keen on losing Sutter. He is the only defensively responsible Center they have. How about a Kesler / Neal switch? I am not sure of the contract/CAP modalities here, but it does kinda make sense from a pure roster need perspective on both sides.
    League 1: 2021 Dobber Entry (Patrick), Yahoo Roto, 10 Teams
    4C, 4LW, 4RW, 6D, 2G start; 5 Bench
    Skaters: G, A, +/-, PPP, SOG, Hits
    Goalies: W, Saves, GAA

Forwards:
    C: Malkin, ROR, Backstrom
    LW: Forsberg, Parise
    RW: Gallagher, Hornqvist, D Brown, Kessel
    Dual Eligibility: Svechnikov, Jamie Benn, Radulov, Domi, Rakell, Pavelski
    Defense: Hamilton, Letang, OEL, Suter, Spurgeon, Girard
    Goalies: Vasilevskyi, Lehner, Mrazek, Reimer

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by suvojitde View Post
    If I was PIT, I would not be too keen on losing Sutter. He is the only defensively responsible Center they have. How about a Kesler / Neal switch? I am not sure of the contract/CAP modalities here, but it does kinda make sense from a pure roster need perspective on both sides.
    unless horvat is nhl ready i don't see how the nucks can move kesler without getting a C back (why did they trade hogdson again?) sutter + seems more likely, but not sure if that will be enough...pouliot may need to be involved as well.

Dobber Sports Ace

Quote Originally Posted by Pengwin7 View Post
    Well - we've probably already done enough of our own how/why discussion in other threads.

Since we all love fantasy hockey, it's interesting that:
    THIS move (PIT Coach/GM dismissal) might be the most MASSIVE impact to PIT & other fantasy hockey player values that we've seen in the last 10 years.
    Agree/disagree?

1. PIT needs to find a new GM.
    New GMs always, always, always put their stamp on their team... quickly.
    The first move is obvious - find a new coach.

2. PIT needs a new coach.
    Is the new coach offensive minded?
    Defensive minded?
    How could this impact player scoring?

3. GM starts to put "his stamp" on the team.
    I think the ONLY player safe on Pittsburgh is Crosby. No chance he's going anywhere.
    Everybody else is a possibility.
    Just look at a guy like Dale Tallon, in 5 years he has turned over almost EVERY piece of Florida.

So the questions are:
    *Who are the most likely Penguins to get traded away? Value up or down? (most likely DOWN, to most other clubs)
    *Who are some likely players to be brought IN to Pittsburgh?

This is major, major stuff here for fantasy hockey keepers, obviously/especially PIT players!!!

If you own MA Fleury? How worried are you on a scale of 1-10? I'd say I'm worried a LOT... a 8.
    If you own Letang? How worried are you on a scale of 1-10? I'd say a moderate amount... a 5.
    If you own Malkin? How worried are you on a scale of 1-10? I'd say I'm worried a LITTLE... a 4.
    If you own James Neal? How worried are you on a scale of 1-10? I'd say a tiny bit, good contract... a 2.
    Crosby... he's safe though, right?
    Excellent post, Peng - very thought provoking questions and discussion points. Surprised, just like others, to see that Bylsma is still around - I was thinking that he would be the first to go (firing), followed by MAF (trade).

Not sure about Letang and other D - its not as if there are lots of D men available and there is always a high demand for good D depth (ask the Oilers!!!)

I think Neal goes too. The Kesler choice is intriguing as are some other options depending on whether some UFAs / RFAs want to test the open market OR stay where they are (e.g. Vanek, Gaborik). Also, can PIT afford them (even with the increasing CAP)?

Interesting few months ahead for the PIT team and fans alike.

Forwards:

Dobber Sports Ace

Default Re: [Firing] PIT: Shero Fired. Bylsma (not?) fired.

As for the Brisson suggestion. Interesting. As far as I know it would be the second player agent to become GM in recent history, Gillis being the other. Gillis was a disaster so I wonder how Brisson would do. Funny for Sid as Brisson would essentially go from being Sid's hired representative to being Sid's boss. Payee to payor. Weird. He would obviously have to cease representation. Goes without saying..
    Agreed 100%. Talk about conflict of interest. Sheesh.....

Forwards:

Dobber Sports Wizard

Since winning the Cup in 2009, apparently the Penguins have lost in every playoffs to a lower seed - how both Bylsma and Shero weren't fired at the same time is beyond logical.

Dobber Sports Stud

Default Re: [Firing] PIT: Shero Fired. Bylsma (not?) fired.

As for the Brisson suggestion. Interesting. As far as I know it would be the second player agent to become GM in recent history, Gillis being the other. Gillis was a disaster so I wonder how Brisson would do. Funny for Sid as Brisson would essentially go from being Sid's hired representative to being Sid's hired representative Payee to payor. Weird. He would obviously have to cease representation. Goes without saying..
    Somehow I don't think a Brisson hiring would go over well with the rest of the players in Pittsburgh. Many think Sid already has too much say and is too tight with management.

Also find it interesting that it is finally coming out how disliked Neal is within the locker room and that he'll probably be moved.
    Excelsior~ Ever Higher

Dear Mr. Fantasy play us a tune
    Something to make us all happy
    Do anything, take us out of this gloom
    Sing a song, play guitar, make it snappy~ Traffic