Thread: Jordan Staal

Dobber Sports Padawan

Default Jordan Staal

So what is his upside? I think this past year was an aberration. He was skating for the most part with scrubs and the whole team just sucked in general. So is he a 50pt guy or is there more? He is still only 25 years old.

Dobber Sports Guru

Default Re: Jordan Staal

He's played eight seasons, and 50 points has been his highest mark. I think you should consider that his upside. Yes, maybe one of these seasons, he has a fluke year and gets 65, but at this stage, he is what he is.

Writer of the weekly Top 10 column.

12-team Keeper pool, straight points for forwards & dmen. Goalies get: 2 points per win, 3 per shutout, 1 point per assist & 1 point per shootout loss.

League champ in 2013, 2015, 2018, 2020 and 2022.

Top 8 forwards, 5 dmen and 2 goalies count.

We keep 15 players (any position) plus two rookies.

Forwards: Panarin, Ovechkin, Kopitar, Stamkos, Tuch, Rust, Marchessault, Pavelski, Miller, Bertuzzi, Stone, Kakko, Brown, Stankoven, Kovalenko
    Defence: Hedman, Fox, Matheson, Thrun, Jiricek
    Goalies: Kochetkov, Talbot, Vasilevskiy, Campbell, Schmid

Dobber Sports Veteran

I'd give him a 67 point upside but wouldn't count on him for more than 55 points at best in any given year.
    Fantrax - Salary cap dynasty - cap hit - H2H each category
    Start: 2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 2UTIL, 2G, 6 Bench, 4IR
    Cats: G, A, +/-, PIM, STG, STA, SOG, FOW, GWG, Hits, BLK, W, GAA, Saves, SV%, SO

C: Getzlaf, Turris, Eakin, ____
    LW: Kunitz, MacArthur, Pacioretty, ____
    RW: Little (C), Tarasenko, Eriksson (LW)
    D: Pietrangelo, JJ, Streit, Brodie, Benn, ____
    G: Lundqvist, Bishop, Holtby

Farm: Grigorenko, H Lindholm, Faksa, Collberg, Grimaldi, Lee, K Hayes, G Carey, Schmaltz
    G: Grubauer, Gudlevskis

Dobber Sports Padawan

place him at 50 and your safe, I see 60 upside max.

Dobber Sports Stud

If he moves to a team where he gets top line minutes and PP time I can see 70 on a career season

While he was the #3 forward in even strength ice time for Carolina he was only 6th in PP time and #3 on the PK. I think for him to put up better numbers he needs a coach and system that flip the PP and PK rankings
    Consider Sim Hockey because guys who play shutdown minutes, deflect shots and clear creases build championships. Yet in fantasy they litter the unwanted UFA lists.

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by newfcollins View Post
    He's played eight seasons, and 50 points has been his highest mark. I think you should consider that his upside. Yes, maybe one of these seasons, he has a fluke year and gets 65, but at this stage, he is what he is.
    Pretty much sums it up and Carolina is in serious need of an overhaul so count him for 45-55 at the most.

Dobber Sports Guru

Quote Originally Posted by newfcollins View Post
    Perfect response. At this point, he's carved out expectations.
    Unless he finds himself in a MUCH better situation (see: Brendan Morrison w/ Naslund and Bertuzzi) at some point, he shouldn't be banked on for anything more than what he's done.
    Points-only, Full Keeper Dynasty League
    Active roster (no starts, just total points): 12 FW, 6 D, 1 Goalie

Forwards: Kucherov, Barkov, Teravainen, Seguin, Hoffman, Lindholm, Gusev, Horvat, Meier, Perron, Schwartz, Johansen, Pavelski, Buchnevich, Hischier, Granlund, Bracco

Defense: Josi, Dahlin, Letang, Gostisbehere, Ekman-Larsson, Petry, Slavin, Keith, Matheson

Goal: Lehner, Holtby, Varlamov

Farm: Soderstrom, York, Woo, Tracey, Dorofeyev

Dobber Sports Ace

Quote Originally Posted by donpaulo View Post
    If he moves to a team where he gets top line minutes and PP time I can see 70 on a career season

While he was the #3 forward in even strength ice time for Carolina he was only 6th in PP time and #3 on the PK. I think for him to put up better numbers he needs a coach and system that flip the PP and PK rankings
    Jordan Staal is solid defensively. He consistently is used for PK and against the other team's top lines. He is solidly in the class of more valueable to his team than the fantasy community. I would count on 40-50 points moving forward most seasons.
    Dyn H2H (14 tm) - Start 4C, 4LW, 4RW, 6D, 2G, Bench - 8, Farm - 20 (less than 100 GP) Categories: G, A, P, +/-, PIM, SOG, STP, H+B, TOI, W, GAA, SV%, SV, SO

Dobber Sports Padawan

I think he should be pegged right where he is, as most have already said. He is a great two way forward and an expert defensive C. One of those cases where he is much more valuable to his team in real life than in fantasy.