Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Thread: Kypreos tweets that Ontario captains being shopped

Dobber Sports Deity

Default Re: Kypreos tweets that Ontario captains being shopped

The Oilers will not be trading Gagner + for Phaneuf unless they have a plan to replace Gagner. Their lack of depth down the middle is horrid.

Gagner for Spezza makes sense as they are shipping out a center for a center, but unless they have a plan B to replace Gagner down the middle, I doubt he is moved for Phaneuf.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    The Oilers will not be trading Gagner + for Phaneuf unless they have a plan to replace Gagner. Their lack of depth down the middle is horrid.

Gagner for Spezza makes sense as they are shipping out a center for a center, but unless they have a plan B to replace Gagner down the middle, I doubt he is moved for Phaneuf.

phaneuf + kadri + salary retained for gagner + yakupov?

oh god i'm starting to sound like all the delusional leaf fans, time to take a break from this thread lol

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by praba View Post
    word is the leafs have to retain salary if they are to move him. it would probably look better on the leafs to get a better return while retaining salary then to just trade him as a cap dump.

i don't think the sens need to retain any salary for spezza, his cap hit is 7M but he is only making 4M next season. would be perfect for a low budget team like nashville, phoenix etc.

what you think the oilers would need to give up for phaneuf? gagner seems to make the most sense. doubt yakupov would be involved.
    After the way things have gone for those two either one could easily be gone. But really, it pretty much has to be Gagner and I'm sure he'd have no issues waiving his no-trade after the nonsense they put him through after extending him with a no-trade. And he'd probably be happy to go back home.

Good point on Spezza. He could make a number of small market teams happy. It's a wonder Melnyk and his tight purse strings would let such a bargain go.
    Follow me on Twitter@SteveLaidlaw

https://image.ibb.co/k3o8Sa/dobber_banner_sig.jpg

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post

Or they swing the deal and then unload for one of Stastny, Legwand, Grabovski. I mean, if they've settled on Gagner not being a solution at C2 then whatever hole he is used to plug is better than what he is doing now. Not that they should rely on free agency, but again, when you've got lots of holes it doesn't necessarily matter how you plug them. Moving Gagner isn't really creating a hole elsewhere. It's removing the illusion that they have one filled.
    Follow me on Twitter@SteveLaidlaw

https://image.ibb.co/k3o8Sa/dobber_banner_sig.jpg

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by kbooks View Post
    Be careful for what you wish for. Leafs traded Larry Murphy to Detroit for Future considerations. Larry Murphy. Two Stanley cups later and entery to the Hockey Hall of fame is what Detroit got for those future considerations.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=554037

The next Leaf Scapegoat a few years later was Bryan McCabe and Leafs did a little better this time they got a 4th round pick and a crippled defenceman named Mike Van Ryan.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=248234

Now in both cases the leafs had struggling teams and the fans had concluded that first Murphy and then McCabe were what was at the root of the teams problems on defence. So getting rid of the scaoegoats was suppost to make the team better. We all know how those moves improved the Leafs.

Murphy, McCabe and now Phaneuf are not the cause of the problems with leaf teams. Yes they had frustrating parts to their games but who doesn't. Phaneuf is the most reliable guy on the Leafs back end. He plays well most nights against the other teams top players and was along with Gunnarsson the only plus player on the leafs D last season. Gleason -21, Franson -20, Rielly -13, Gardiner -3, Ranger -1

Now yes I wish Phaneuf would hit the dam net more often whn blasting from the point. Yes I wish he did not have those mental lapses in his own end. But on most nights he is the most steady and reliable guy leafs have on the back end. What leafs need is to provide Phaneuf with better support on the back end without him the back end would be an even bigger disaster.

The guys I would like to see moved off the back end are Franson, Ranger and Gleason (not likely with his salary) to make room for a defensive stalwart like Granberg and even McWilliams both of whom are solid shut down D as they demonstrat night in and night out with the Marlies. A trade to pick up Edler would be the kind of step that would help improve the leafs disappointing back end not moving out the strongest asset leafs have on the back end. Yes Gardiner and Rielly will likely be better than Phaneuf in time if we don't panic and move them out if they make a mistake and put the puck in their own end one night but they are not even close to providing what leafs get from Phaneuf night in and night out (well most nights anyway).
    +1 very good post. As much as I am not a Phaneuf fan, I have to agree with everything you said. They need to trade him or bring in someone to help him out, which is easier said than done. I do feel he will be gone by the draft though.

Nonis couldn't trade him after giving him that extension but in bringing in Shanahan they can blame the trade on him...cleaning house, making changes etc. I honestly don'y know how it will all unfold but they better not screw this up.
    Excelsior~ Ever Higher

Dear Mr. Fantasy play us a tune
    Something to make us all happy
    Do anything, take us out of this gloom
    Sing a song, play guitar, make it snappy~ Traffic

Dobber Sports Stud

I'm thinking Anaheim might be a landing spot for Spezza. Wasn't there rumours of Anaheim making an offer at the trade deadline.

The Sens are building around their youth with guys like Stone and probably Lazar playing this fall. Ottawa can roll with Turris, Zibanejad, Smith, Pageau at center and the Ducks are loaded with young players that would not only fit into Ottawa's youth movement but Melnyk's budget- Etem, Palmieri, Bonino. Maroon, Smith-Pelly etc.
    Excelsior~ Ever Higher

Dear Mr. Fantasy play us a tune
    Something to make us all happy
    Do anything, take us out of this gloom
    Sing a song, play guitar, make it snappy~ Traffic

Banned

Sens don't need a centre in return. Better to get a winger or d-man, but wing is most important. They are gonna offer up a lot of money to Stastny depending on the Spezza return.

Dobber Sports Pro

The Leafs defense is poor as it is. If you take your top d-man, primary minute muncher and PP d-man, what the hell do you have left. Do we even have another top 4 on our roster? Don's say Gardiner and Reilly because you know they are not even close yet.

Dion is playing with a #5/6 d-man as a partner in Gunnarson, no defensive system, no support from his forwards and playing 6-12 more minutes a night than he should.Go back and watch Gunnarson in the last 20 games last year. I am not sure what was wrong but I do not think he won a single puck battle.

All of you condemning him should take a minute an see what he would look like on another team.

Exhibit A - Jay Bouwmeester - Good young offensive player in FLA, they chase him off to CAL, where he plays on a brutal team, with no support. Never breaks 30 points, always a minus and all I hear is that he "SUCKS". Then he gets moved to St. Louis..... Low and behold J-Bo is an awesome d-man. 37 points, +26, and he does not even play on the top PP. Imagine that.

Now St. Louis is a great team but SJ is in need of D, so is COL and the NYI. Plus they will all be looking to adjust their rosters My guess is that if he ends up in any of those 3 spots, hockey fans will once again wonder why we gave up an asset in a position that we so desperately need.

Why not get an Orpik, a Greene or a d-man that can play 20+ minutes and against another top line. No other D on the Leafs can do that. At least give him a partner.

I am sorry but if the Leafs Brain trust is willing to pin this season on Dion instead of Nonis, Carlysle or any other player, then Dion should head straight for greener pastures, because without him things are going to get a whole lot worse before they get better.

(Unless the Leafs are just gonna tank for McDavid, then move Dion and I will tune back in for the 2015 draft.)

Dobber Sports Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by kbooks View Post
    Be careful for what you wish for. Leafs traded Larry Murphy to Detroit for Future considerations. Larry Murphy. Two Stanley cups later and entery to the Hockey Hall of fame is what Detroit got for those future considerations.

Murphy, McCabe and now Phaneuf are not the cause of the problems with leaf teams. Yes they had frustrating parts to their games but who doesn't. Phaneuf is the most reliable guy on the Leafs back end. He plays well most nights against the other teams top players and was along with Gunnarsson the only plus player on the leafs D last season. Gleason -21, Franson -20, Rielly -13, Gardiner -3, Ranger -1

Now yes I wish Phaneuf would hit the dam net more often whn blasting from the point. Yes I wish he did not have those mental lapses in his own end. But on most nights he is the most steady and reliable guy leafs have on the back end. What leafs need is to provide Phaneuf with better support on the back end without him the back end would be an even bigger disaster.

The guys I would like to see moved off the back end are Franson, Ranger and Gleason (not likely with his salary) to make room for a defensive stalwart like Granberg and even McWilliams both of whom are solid shut down D as they demonstrat night in and night out with the Marlies. A trade to pick up Edler would be the kind of step that would help improve the leafs disappointing back end not moving out the strongest asset leafs have on the back end. Yes Gardiner and Rielly will likely be better than Phaneuf in time if we don't panic and move them out if they make a mistake and put the puck in their own end one night but they are not even close to providing what leafs get from Phaneuf night in and night out (well most nights anyway).
    To add to this, the Leafs were I think -16 as a team at even strength. Phaneuf was +5. On top of that he is near the top in quality of competition faced. Despite his defensive lapses at times, he is by far the best defensemen the Leafs have, and if you move him for a poor return, you sre setting the team back miles.

Unless you can move Phaneuf/+ for an upgrade on the backend, like a Weber, then I don't make the deal. The cap hit will get better as time goes on and top-pairing defensemen don't go on trees. The Leafs need to tread very carefully here.

Dobber Sports Master

Quote Originally Posted by Excelsior View Post
    Ottawa can roll with Turris, Zibanejad, Smith, Pageau at center .
    That does not sound like playoff team depth at C... If it has to, Zibanejad better turn-in one hell of a summer of training. I think he will be a very useful player, but there's gonna be some growing pains if this is your group for next year. Big Ev said they'd take a run at Stastny but if you ask me, that's basically replacing Spezza with Spezza-light. While he had an OK postseason showing, Stastny has been the recipient of much of the same complaints that has Spezza and I would probably prefer to have Spezza signed at a reasonable number for like 4 years vs tying myself down to Stastny and what he is going to command on the open market. If Weiss can get 4.9, Stastny is gonna cost a fortune. If he lands in Ottawa at fat dollars, say hello to your new whipping boy...

I think neither Spezza or Phaneuf end up with Canadian teams (at least, not if it's their preference). These guys don't like pressure and if they can help it, would probably want to avoid it.. I can see Phaneuf ending up in a southern destination and Spezza, I'm really not sure.
    Blades of Steel
    9 Team Full Keeper - Pts Only (G,A,W,SO)

Crosby, Wheeler, Bergeron, Forsberg, Connor, Kopitar, E.Lindholm, Pastrnak, DeBrincat, Fiala
    Jones, Klingberg, Hamilton, Theodore, Letang
    Saros, Shesterkin
    Garland, Vrana, Bjorkstrand, Verhaege, Backstrom, Karlsson, Perunovich, Spurgeon, Pulock, Hellebuyck

Dobber Sports Grand Master

I can't imagine why Calgary is possibly an option for Phaneuf? What makes him attractive for them? The fact that he has played there before? He was a problem here last time, and I actually really like him, but he has no place here. A young rebuilding team based on hard work and no egos. Dion doesn't really fit the bill. Plus they want to give minutes to their young kids. Gio eats minutes up, Wideman has the top PP locked down, plus they have Brodie and Russell stepping up and playing well in big roles. Wotherspoon played well last season and is ready for more minutes. Not to mention Smid who is still a top 4 guy defensively, not to mention keeping space open for Cundari and Sieloff to start playing bigger roles. No fit in Calgary and their team situation for Phanuef.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by agentzero View Post
    That does not sound like playoff team depth at C... If it has to, Zibanejad better turn-in one hell of a summer of training. I think he will be a very useful player, but there's gonna be some growing pains if this is your group for next year. Big Ev said they'd take a run at Stastny but if you ask me, that's basically replacing Spezza with Spezza-light. While he had an OK postseason showing, Stastny has been the recipient of much of the same complaints that has Spezza and I would probably prefer to have Spezza signed at a reasonable number for like 4 years vs tying myself down to Stastny and what he is going to command on the open market. If Weiss can get 4.9, Stastny is gonna cost a fortune. If he lands in Ottawa at fat dollars, say hello to your new whipping boy...

I think neither Spezza or Phaneuf end up with Canadian teams (at least, not if it's their preference). These guys don't like pressure and if they can help it, would probably want to avoid it.. I can see Phaneuf ending up in a southern destination and Spezza, I'm really not sure.
    Who does Minnesota have at C? Looks about the same depth-wise. They're doing just fine right now.

Don't forget about Lazar who is ready the NHL and is a natural centre.

Stastny is a better overall player than Spezza but even if he was the exact same player, that isn't the point. The point is you need to change it up after 10+ years of having the same guy and achieving no results. You need to build your team on winners and guys who can play a 200 ft game.

Dobber Sports Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Shiva Blaster View Post
    As an Oilers fan, I'd much rather Spezza than Dion, although I'm not a big fan of either. Doesn't Dion have a NTC? He's said on a couple of occasions that he has no interest in playing in his hometown, so I don't really see it happening.
    This.
    Dion would be on a short leash with Edmonton fans, he is not well liked here. I personally would not like to see him in Edmonton no matter how bad Edmonton needs a vet #1/2 D-man. That contract is too long if things don't go well. Edmonton would be better speading their cap space elsewhere.
    Getting Spezza would be more on the radar for MacT but with only 1 year left on his contract there has to be an extension or the Oilers won't want to pay very much. I agree with others that Spezza may want to get out of the Canadian limelight and go somewhere states side.

Dobber Sports Master

Quote Originally Posted by Big Ev View Post
    Who does Minnesota have at C? Looks about the same depth-wise. They're doing just fine right now.

Don't forget about Lazar who is ready the NHL and is a natural centre.

Stastny is a better overall player than Spezza but even if he was the exact same player, that isn't the point. The point is you need to change it up after 10+ years of having the same guy and achieving no results. You need to build your team on winners and guys who can play a 200 ft game.

You're seriously going to compare Koivu-Granlund to Turris-Zibanejad.......? T and Z are no slouches, but they are not Koivu and Granlund.

Lazar could be a good one too, but that's not a lot of experience we're counting on if we are to rely on him as well. Koivu is a very experienced C and has been in the league longer than Turris and Zibanejad combined.

Also, Minnesota plays different competition... is a different team altogether and their top 3 Cs are not the main reason as to why they are where they are... They got some unreal goaltending early in the year to put them in great position.. but also have many other parts that explain their success to this point. It doesn't start and end with their group at C (though I still believe that their top 2 C are better than the Sens').
    Blades of Steel
    9 Team Full Keeper - Pts Only (G,A,W,SO)

Crosby, Wheeler, Bergeron, Forsberg, Connor, Kopitar, E.Lindholm, Pastrnak, DeBrincat, Fiala
    Jones, Klingberg, Hamilton, Theodore, Letang
    Saros, Shesterkin
    Garland, Vrana, Bjorkstrand, Verhaege, Backstrom, Karlsson, Perunovich, Spurgeon, Pulock, Hellebuyck

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

Not to take anything away from these rumors, but does anybody else see how ridiculous Kypreos is??

Kypreos broke the news after he read Bob MacKenzie's tweet.. Get your own 'breaking stories' Nick.. Can't wait until next year, when this bum is the face of hockey on Rogers Sportsnet, NOT.. More then half the games will probably be blacked out, so probably won't see much of his mug!! HaHa..

Kypreos is the tv version of that ridiculous rumor monger eklund fella on the internet..