Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Vanek's Agent says he's open to re-signing in MTL

Banned

Default Vanek's Agent says he's open to re-signing in MTL

I think most Habs fans thought he'd be a rental for the playoffs but apparently he's enjoyed his time in Montreal enough to be interested in contract negotiations

The best article I can find on it is in French:

http://www.lapresse.ca/sports/hockey...-de-rester.php

but here's my half assed translation:

Yesterday Vanek's agent told La Presse that his client will be willing to have discussions on a new contract with the Canadiens, once the season is over.

It is a shift for Vanek and his agent, who have repeatedly said they intended to wait for the opening of the free agent market on July 1.

"Thomas has not decided anything for next season, but he certainly loved the experience of recent weeks with the Canadiens", said Stephen Bartlett in a telephone interview. I think it shows a greater openness in relation to the signing of a new agreement with the team. Thomas was impressed by the market of Montreal and the team."

The agent also made clear that the possibility of waiting until July 1st

"Thomas will wait for July 1, but I would say that the Canadian is one of several teams that interest. The Canadiens have impressed him so far and his experience in Montreal has been very positive."

Dobber Sports Genius

Default Re: Vanek's Agent says he's open to re-signing in MTL

It's as good as the news can get right now for Habs fans as far as Vanek's future is concerned. I agree that most thought it would be a rental with very little chance of retaining him in the future. He really does bring Montreal an element that they sorely need and it will be almost impossible to replace if he leaves. The Habs will have to pay dearly to re-sign him and according to reports of what he wants the back end of the contract may be tough to swallow, but I truly believe that if he willing to come back the Habs have to do what it takes to make sure it happens.

Banned

Here's what I think...I think if he legitimately wants to play in Montreal we would be foolish not to court him. But my feeling is that he's going to test the ceiling and I think he'll have several suitors. I feel like if the Habs want him they're gonna have to take a page from what the Leafs did with Kessel and overpay a bit. And I'm OK with that provided they ensure one of the following:

-shorter term (5-6 years)
    -less money (6-7 mil cap hit maybe?) and front-loaded as much as possible
    -no non-trade clauses (so you can reap his best years and deal him away before his decline for cheap)

But I think he's the kinda guy who will go where the money is as long as the team is a contender. And everything I've read on the topic suggests that the Wild have a huge hard on for him and will throw a ton of cash at him like they did with Parise and Suter. If the price gets too high the Habs need to have the discipline to let him go.

Dobber Sports Ninja

He's fit in very well in Montreal. If you're going to spend the money, at least you know that he has a place on the team and don't have to worry about chemistry.
    "For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry God. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now and at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon. Amen." - Sterling Archer

"Don't spray that urine on my sons window. If you want a dollar for doing nothing, walk to Canada." - Malory Archer

“Anyone who thinks the pen is mightier than the sword has not been stabbed with both.” - Lemony Snicket

I have to admit, I thought Vanek to Montreal was odd at first. But he really fits well with this team. Great complimentary, 2nd line player, and the chemistry is definitely there.

With the cap rising and the UFAs and RFAs they could certainly afford to sign him, but I wouldn't break the bank either. Hopefully he and his agent realize he's a second line winger.

I would have to think six year term would suffice?
    @SmittysRant

Dobber Sports Stud

A not so half assed attempt to translate, if anyone wanted to read the whole thing. :P

Belief is playoff fever has touched Thomas Vanek. The Austrian player, who already expressed his willingness to test the market this summer, is now more open to the idea of pursuing his career in Montréal.

At least, that's what Stephen Bartlett is implying. Vanek's agent told La Presse that his famous client will have a discussion with the Canadiens regarding a new contract once the season is over.

It's a shift in direction for Vanek and his agent, who have repeatedly expressed their objective to test the Free Agent market, come July 1st.

"Thomas still hasn't decided for next year, but he definitely loved his experience with the Canadiens these last few weeks," highlighted Stephen Barlett in a phone interview. "I believe he's demonstrating a open mind regarding signing a new deal with the team. Thomas is impressed by the team and market in Montréal."

During the call, the agent wanted to convey that reaching July 1st is still a real possibility for his client.

"Thomas could always wait until July 1st, but I'd say that the Canadiens one of the teams he's interested in. The Canadiens have definitely pulled all the stops in his time hear - Thomas' experience in Montréal has been very positive."

Meanwhile, rumors that Minnesota have a high level of interest in Vanek don't want to die. Yesterday, the Pioneer Press reported that Wild management would be ready to table around $40M this summer. It's not the first time that speculation about the Wild's interest in the 30 year old forward surface.

According to Barlett, rumors coming from Minnesota, despite the fact that many have already stated that the Wild have tried to acquire Vanek at the March trade deadline, shouldn't be trusted.

"I haven't heard about this", the agent added. "I know that there were other teams in the hunt in March, but I've never heard the Wild be mentioned.

"I think people are quick enough to make links. People link him with the Wild simply because his wife comes from Minnesota, and that he owns a house there, where he spends his summers. So some pull conclusions linking him to the Wild, and I don't find that fair."

It remains to be seen if the Canadiens could even offer Vanek a new deal, with his old 7 year, $50M dollar deal signed in Buffalo set to expire this season. Despite many discussions, Montreal management not reached a deal for next season with PK Subban and Andrei Markov, his two most important defencemen. Under GM Marc Bergevin, Canadiens management refuses to publicly comment on negociations.

Thomas Vanek finished the year collecting 68 points in 78 games. In 4 games against Tampa Bay in the first round of these playoffs, he scored a goal and added 2 assists.
    Being french first and english second has it's perks, even though I hate the Habs :P Also, it's amazing how much shorter it looks in english compared to french.
    UHL - Detroit Red Wings
    24 team H2H (W-:L) Dynasty - 3C/LW/RW/F, 6D, 1G.
    G/A/(+/-)/PIM/SOG/PPP/SHP/GWG/HIT/BLK/FOW
    W/GAA/SV/SV%/SHO

NHL Cap + 1M salary cap (AAV)

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Bomm Bastic View Post
    I have to admit, I thought Vanek to Montreal was odd at first. But he really fits well with this team. Great complimentary, 2nd line player, and the chemistry is definitely there.

With the cap rising and the UFAs and RFAs they could certainly afford to sign him, but I wouldn't break the bank either. Hopefully he and his agent realize he's a second line winger.

I would have to think six year term would suffice?
    Yeah he's 30 now so a 6 yr deal would capture him still mostly in his prime, especially if they front-loaded it as much as possible. So imagine if they paid him something like this:

cap hit = $6,750,000

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Nights View Post
    A not so half assed attempt to translate, if anyone wanted to read the whole thing. :P

Being french first and english second has it's perks, even though I hate the Habs :P Also, it's amazing how much shorter it looks in english compared to french.
    awesome Nights, thanks!

I tried my best in the main piece, I had to look up some stuff though...like ' changement de cap' I had no clue -lol
    I used to be mostly bilingual but now after living in the US for almost 15 years my French is awful

Dobber Sports Icon

Do the Isles get any kind of compensation from Mtl if he re-signs?
    12 Team Dynasty, H2H (points)
    Dress 2C, 4W, 1F, 4D, 1G (Daily)
    G (3), A (2), STP (1), SHOG (1), +/- (0.5), SOG (0.2), Hits (0.2), Blk (0.2), FOW (0.1); W (5), SO (2), Sv (0.2), GA (-1)

C - Draisaitl (W), Hughes, Larkin, Trochek
    W - T.Thompson (C), Pastrnak, Reinhart, Batherson, Nichushkin, Duchene (C), Zuccarello
    D - Dahlin, Theodore, Bouchard, Faber, Werenski, Skjei
    G - Jarry, Gustavsson, Montembault
    Fm - Bordeleau, Barlow, Lucius, G.Perreault, Luneau, Perunovich, Nikishin

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by PrairieDog View Post
    Do the Isles get any kind of compensation from Mtl if he re-signs?
    I thought it was just a conditional pick if the Habs made the playoffs? I don't recall anything beyond that

Quote Originally Posted by mister_mcgoo View Post
    Yeah he's 30 now so a 6 yr deal would capture him still mostly in his prime, especially if they front-loaded it as much as possible. So imagine if they paid him something like this:

cap hit = $6,750,000
    And that would be perfect for both him and the team. I just hope he and his agent realize that. Agents have a way of effing things up. But you're correct in that if it becomes a bidding war, Montreal should bow out gracefully.
    @SmittysRant

Dobber Sports Icon

I thought it was just a conditional pick if the Habs made the playoffs? I don't recall anything beyond that
    Yeah they get a 2nd rounder and don't have to give MTL their 5th rounder, both if Mtl made the playoffs.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=445354

Surprised there wasn't something if he re-signed (especially since its always seemed certain Vanek would go UFA).
    12 Team Dynasty, H2H (points)
    Dress 2C, 4W, 1F, 4D, 1G (Daily)
    G (3), A (2), STP (1), SHOG (1), +/- (0.5), SOG (0.2), Hits (0.2), Blk (0.2), FOW (0.1); W (5), SO (2), Sv (0.2), GA (-1)

C - Draisaitl (W), Hughes, Larkin, Trochek
    W - T.Thompson (C), Pastrnak, Reinhart, Batherson, Nichushkin, Duchene (C), Zuccarello
    D - Dahlin, Theodore, Bouchard, Faber, Werenski, Skjei
    G - Jarry, Gustavsson, Montembault
    Fm - Bordeleau, Barlow, Lucius, G.Perreault, Luneau, Perunovich, Nikishin

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Well, it's not the first time an agent use Montreal to make other teams to pay more. I remember when Brière sign with the Flyers. He first say he would like to play in Montreal then he accept a very lucrative contract with the Flyers. I know Vanek is not a french canadien like Brière, but this case look like the same for me. He will not sign in Montreal at all... I can bet on that.
    2014 Champion
    2015 Champion

18 teams league, G ; A ; Pts ; PIM ; +/- ; Wins ; %.
    22 players max/ team but only 8F 4D 2G are used each week.
    Farm or/and 2 way contract: 8F, 4D, 2G

Team
    F- S.Crosby, A.Ovechkin, J.Thornton, T.Johnson, N.Bjugstad, Radulov, Nyquist, R.Strome, Drouin
    D- Faulk, Klingberg, Shattenkirk, Stralman, Gardiner, J.Morrow
    G- Rask, Talbot,

Farm
    Nichushkin, Dvorak, Poirier, N.Ritchie, D.Pouliot, Zadorov, Kuemper, M.Murray, Hackett

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by haze_tech View Post
    Well, it's not the first time an agent use Montreal to make other teams to pay more. I remember when Brière sign with the Flyers. He first say he would like to play in Montreal then he accept a very lucrative contract with the Flyers. I know Vanek is not a french canadien like Brière, but this case look like the same for me. He will not sign in Montreal at all... I can bet on that.
    yeah haze, i am suspicious too, usually agents don't announce that a player is interested in a particular team unless they want to try to drive the price up

Dobber Sports Veteran

cap hit = $6,750,000
    He is 30 year old now so why would he want to be a free agent at 35/36 when all his leverage is gone? I would think he would fight hard to get the max term to take him to 37 (38 if the Habs sign him). Also, I don't see him taking that little money. Steen got 5.8. Kessel, Getzlaf, Giroux all got 8 or more. Which is where I think he will try to get close to. With the way the cap is projected to go. $8 will be the new $6 and I think we will see a lot more in that range.