Thread: Keep Chara or let him go back into Auction

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Default Keep Chara or let him go back into Auction

We bid on players in a player auction after which the winning bid becomes the players salary for either 1, 2 or 3 years. Winning bidder must determine that after winning player. Each year thier salary increases by $250,000. You have the option to resign for two more years at the end of original contract but Salary increases by $500, 000 each year.

Our salary Cap is 60 M and does not change.

I currently have Chara at 6.25 but have to resign him. My dilemma is do I resign Chara for 6.75 M this year and 7.25 next year or do I let him go back to auction and bid hard on players like kieth, doughty, Subban, yandle, Suter, Kronwall who are all available this year. I can always bid on Chara again and hope to score him at a lower salary. He was a stud for me during my playoffs this year helping me win my league.

I have Karlsson, Fowler and Shattenkirk under contract for a couple more years.

Thoughts?
    12 Team Capped (Auction Style) H2H League
    G, A, +/-, W, SO, OTL
    20 player min, 23 Max. $60M Cap
    Start 12 2C, 4W, 4D, 2G

C: Kuznetsov , toffoli, staal, Turris
    W: Schwartz, Grandlund, Palat, Spooner, Rakell,
    D: Carlson, Hedman, Gostisbehere, Lindell, Maatta, Pieterangelo
    G: Lundqvist , Quick, Elliot
    Farm: Petan, Buchnevich, Bjorkstrand, AHO,
    4 Time HOLE Fantasy Hockey League Champion: 2011, 2013, 2015, & 2017

Default Re: Keep Chara or let him go back into Auction

Well, in your league format, you certainly don't gain owning Chara over a player like Keith as your scoring cats are G, A and +/-. The guy to own would be Keith. A player like Kronwall put up similar points and would probably be available for less $$$ as I don't think he is must own "stud" pick like most of the other guys on your list. Suter would be a better acquisition as well.

For the kind of money you would have to resign Chara for, I think I would throw him back into the auction and, at worse, try to sign him for a lessor amount if you are not successful on one of your other bids for a D.

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Quote Originally Posted by woodrow View Post
    Well, in your league format, you certainly don't gain owning Chara over a player like Keith as your scoring cats are G, A and +/-. The guy to own would be Keith. A player like Kronwall put up similar points and would probably be available for less $$$ as I don't think he is must own "stud" pick like most of the other guys on your list. Suter would be a better acquisition as well.

For the kind of money you would have to resign Chara for, I think I would throw him back into the auction and, at worse, try to sign him for a lessor amount if you are not successful on one of your other bids for a D.
    That has been my thinking all along.

I had Kieth but traded him just before at our auction before this season as I was going to lose him at seasons end. I used that asset to bring in JVR, Marchand and a first round entry draft pick. Then I pulled the trigger on obtainig Chara for a second rd pick at the auction. The other owner wanted to dump his salary and I had the cap room to add him. These were some bold moves but they worked in my favour as I had to play both of these owners in our playoffs sweeping one series and beating the other owner whom I obtained Chara from in 5 games. I eventually went on to win the Final in 4.
    12 Team Capped (Auction Style) H2H League
    G, A, +/-, W, SO, OTL
    20 player min, 23 Max. $60M Cap
    Start 12 2C, 4W, 4D, 2G

C: Kuznetsov , toffoli, staal, Turris
    W: Schwartz, Grandlund, Palat, Spooner, Rakell,
    D: Carlson, Hedman, Gostisbehere, Lindell, Maatta, Pieterangelo
    G: Lundqvist , Quick, Elliot
    Farm: Petan, Buchnevich, Bjorkstrand, AHO,
    4 Time HOLE Fantasy Hockey League Champion: 2011, 2013, 2015, & 2017

Dobber Sports Star

Chara is nothing special in your format, I'd let him go. If your salaries increase every year, you want players whose production won't be doing the opposite.

Dobber Sports Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by forumname View Post
    Chara is nothing special in your format, I'd let him go. If your salaries increase every year, you want players whose production won't be doing the opposite.
    I agree with most of the above quotes. The money you save on Chara can be put towards obtaining another top defenceman and if you aren't successful there then you can just redraft Chara, and you might get him cheaper.
    Piranha Hockey League est 1990 - Oakley Doakley's - 16 teams
    Pts only W=2 OL=1 SO=3 Auction Draft

WHL - est 2016 Expansion - Glasgow Kiss - 24 teams
    25 pro players / 10 minor league players
    G,A,+/-,PPP,SOG,Hits,Blk,PIM,FOW, W,Sv,GA,SHO

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Cap leagues are very, very tough to evaluate.
    In general, Krug/Hamilton are moving into that BOS PP role a bit more... eating up Chara's PP time and thus, the easiest points that defensemen rake.

Let it go... let it goo....

Dobber Sports Titan

Chara is a forward on PP though, so Krug/Hamilton aren’t really eating his time.

But cap hit vs fantasy production, Chara is not a great player. 6.25mill for 40 points, $156,250 per point. For the same $/point, you can bid on Keith for just over 9.5mill. Or Yandle at $8.3mill. I wouldn’t pay that much for either player.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll