Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Steve Mason - turned another corner?

Dobber Sports Ace

Default Re: Steve Mason - turned another corner?

I'm really thinkink about keeping Mason. In my league he finished top 10 in pts this year. flyers started really bad and was splitting time with Emery early on. so if he plays a little better this year coming up he will have good pts. Also Mason is still younger then most other goalies and is not in goalie prime age.
    12 team, H2H points, limited keepers
    allowed 6 keeper players(PLAYER DRAFTED IN RDS 1-8 NOT ABLE TO BE KEEPER)
    Daily starts

16 man roster plus 1 IR
    start 6 forwards,4 d, 2 goalies

pts: G=3, A=2, DA=3, DG=5, +/-=1 GWG=1, OTG=2, OTA=1, PPG=2, PPA=1, SHG=3, SHA=1, HT=3, SHOOTOUT GOAL=1
    BLKS=.25, HITS=.25, MAJ=2

Goalie pts: WINS=5, SAVES=.20, GA=-1, SO=3
    SHOG SAVE=.50, SHOL=2

forwards: M.TKACHUK(k),MARCHAND(k),SCHEIFELE(k)
    BENN, GAUDREAU*, COUTURIER*
    d: M.RIELLY(k), JOSI*, MCAVOY*, ELLIS
    goalies :TALBOT* DEMKO MAF
    (k)=keeper
    *= no keeper eligibility
    bencH: KOPITAR* R. GRAVES ROBERTSON KREJCI
    IR E.PETTERSSON(k)

Dobber Sports Veteran

Another huge performance by Mason tonight....
    10 team, head-to-head, multi-cat, keep-12 keeper league. CATS: G,A,+/-,PPP,PIM,SOG,HITS BS,SHP, W,SV,SV%,GAA,SO Daily rosters of 6F, 4D, 2 Flex, 2G

F: Crosby, Hall, Pacioretty, Hartnell, Neal, Nugent-Hopkins, Callahan, Dubinsky, Hossa, Huberdeau, Abdelkader, Bjugstad (IR)
    D: Karlsson, Hedman, Muzzin, Savard, Streit (IR)
    G: Lundqvist, Quick, Condon

Banned

he's just too streaky...when he's on he's dynamite, but when he's not, he's awful

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Quote Originally Posted by Shiva Blaster View Post
    Another huge performance by Mason tonight....
    Which followed another horrible performance the night before

Mason was great tonight, but he needs to do it consistently.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

I have a feeling Mason will often make you want to draft him, trade for him, own him etc etc. He will give you that shiny ray of faith only to eventually let you down. This may not make sense, but I relate to Gaborik in a way.

Mason will wine and dine you then fade much like Gaborik has done. The difference is Gaborik's issues were with injuries. Mason's issues will be with lack of consistentcy.

Mason is on a nice run but it's been a long while prior to this year where you can have any kind of sustained confidence in him. He may win Game 7, I do not feel he will, but he may. Regardless of what he does the rest of this playoff season, I am very leary of him going into next season. Maybe he has turned the corner, or maybe it's just a hot run and he returns to his old form sooner rather than later?

This summer my guess owners will be looking to trade him high in leagues, other will be looking to buy low on him. He may end up being the most traded player in fantasy during the summer months in fantasy leagues.

For me, I need to see more consistency.

Quote Originally Posted by Dobber View Post
    Mason won the game for Philly last night. If the Flyers win the series, we'll look back to this turning point I think. 37 saves, 38 shots. We can all agree that none of us are comfortable with considering Mason a top 10 goalie. Or even a Top 15 goalie.

But does this change if he muscles them into the second round?

I was surprised at the outcome today, I must admit. Little faith. But good for him

Dobber Sports Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Ed. View Post
    In terms of GAA and S% he was average at best, and often worse than that from December onward, which makes him somewhat of a painful own in leagues where those stats are important. That said, he's my #2 by default, and goalies are damn near impossible to acquire in this league without sending one back the other way, so he's definitely a keeper for me.
    The statement "from December onward" isn't entirely accurate. He did struggle for a bit, but here are the actual month by month numbers:

Oct - 2.25 .928
    Nov - 1.82 .940
    Dec - 2.92 .899
    Jan - 3.28 .889
    Feb - 1.91 .938
    Mar - 2.48 .917
    Apr - 1.93 .935

There is no pattern of poor performance from December onward. In fact, if one were to overlook Dec and Jan, he looks to be quite the asset.
    __________________________________________________ __________________
    UHL Dynasty St. Louis Blues
    ...playoffs, how the eff did I make the playoffs?

UDL Western Kings
    ...oh boy... this build is gonna be a while...

Dobber Sports Genius

...I'm gonna need a bigger sample size with more consistency over his starts for me to be convinced...

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by rainydrinkwater View Post
    ...I'm gonna need a bigger sample size with more consistency over his starts for me to be convinced...
    I'm convinced. His game tonight was icing on the cake.
    "For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry God. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now and at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon. Amen." - Sterling Archer

"Don't spray that urine on my sons window. If you want a dollar for doing nothing, walk to Canada." - Malory Archer

“Anyone who thinks the pen is mightier than the sword has not been stabbed with both.” - Lemony Snicket

Dobber Sports Monster

Believe my friends, believe!

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by The Comish View Post
    I'm convinced. His game tonight was icing on the cake.
    Totally agree. I always thought Mason got sh*t on way too much. Anyone who is not a believer could not have watched games 6 and 7. He was straight up dominant. Silly good. So many timely saves. I don't follow the "small sample size" theory. It's different when you're talking about the playoffs. As mentioned before, take away December and January and he was consistently putting up solid numbers this season. I think the Olympic break threw him off his game and it took him a bit to get back his mojo. He is the only reason there even was a game 7.

He's only 25, still a few years away from the goalie prime years, on a strong Philly team. Easily top 15, no question. They signed him for 3 more years and have full confidence in him. He's the guy. And I personally am liking what I see. Go get him if you can.

Dobber Sports Veteran

For once, a goaltending meltdown was not the reason for the Flyers' demise........fantastic game for Mason today, he deserved a better fate. As an owner, his show of mental fortitude in the playoffs has really solidified his keeper status on my team.
    10 team, head-to-head, multi-cat, keep-12 keeper league. CATS: G,A,+/-,PPP,PIM,SOG,HITS BS,SHP, W,SV,SV%,GAA,SO Daily rosters of 6F, 4D, 2 Flex, 2G

F: Crosby, Hall, Pacioretty, Hartnell, Neal, Nugent-Hopkins, Callahan, Dubinsky, Hossa, Huberdeau, Abdelkader, Bjugstad (IR)
    D: Karlsson, Hedman, Muzzin, Savard, Streit (IR)
    G: Lundqvist, Quick, Condon

Dobber Sports Genius

Mason seems to have his Calder confidence again. (Aside from the ridiculous SO's)

He allowed a few goals against from a few ugly GA in game 5 as a result of bad turnovers, but I don't think that there were any losses that could be pinned on Mason. He was an absolute STUD in every game he played.

Aside from some defensive gaffs in front of him the only goals he allowed all series were off of sick plays as far as I remember. Really, did he let in any uglies as a result of his own bad play?

PS where is Shawnee Panthers to gloat about one Mr Steve Mason?
    10 team full keeper roto 4C/LW/RW,6D,2G

G,A,P,+/-,PIM,SOG,GWG,PPP,SHP,Hit,Blk,FOW
    W,GAA,SV,SV%,SHO

C-Aho,Couturier,Matthews,O'Reilly
    LW-Ehlers,Giroux,Panarin,Rust
    RW-Kucherov,Palmieri,Pastrnak,Wilson
    D-Burns,Carlson,Gudas,Josi,Nurse,Pietrangelo
    G-Fleury,F.Andersen,Markstrom
    BN-Zacha

Under 250 gp farm
    Beaucage,Berggren,Bokk,Brisson,Chytil,Dugan,Foerst er,Foote,Frost,Grewe,K.Johnson,Lindblom,Mikheyev,N ybeck,Peterka,Pospisil,Protas,Ranta,Raty,Stankoven ,Suzuki,Tuomaala
    Alexeyev,Brook,Foote,Graves,Poirier,Sanderson,Seid er,Wilde,Woo,Zamula
    Berdin,Brossoit,Commesso,Ersson,Husso,Knight,Koche tkov,Lafontaine,Oettinger,Primeau,Sandstrom,Stolar z,Ustimenko,Vladar