View Poll Results: Ottawa Senators will make the playoffs in 2014-15...

Voters
26. This poll is closed
  • i think will make the playoffs...yes

7 26.92%
  • no too many problems, they suck

15 57.69%
  • probably wont make the playoffs but i wish they would

4 15.38%
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Ottawa Senators won't make playoffs next year

Dobber Sports Rookie

Thumbs down Ottawa Senators won't make playoffs next year

Let's face it Ottawa stinks.

Spezza is washed up. Their best defenseman is a rover who can't actually play D. AWFUL team defense. No scoring depth. Paul MacLean is a bug eyed fat walrus. Certainly this team can't go anywhere. They traded their best goalie for Cory Conacher then didn't use him properly and waived him, lost him for nothing. Who is the savior here? Zibanejad? Lazar?!

Alfredsson...oh wait...

Hey what says you Dobber Hockey Nation do you think the Ottawa Senators will make the playoffs?

Dobber Sports Stud

Default Re: Ottawa Senators won't make playoffs next year

A Norris and a Jack Adams would disagree. And I hardly find the 5 point difference needed for a wildcard spot this season, as an insurmountable task to achieve next season.
    16 Team H2H League (Keep 6)
    3C - 3LW - 3RW - 6D - 2G

2013 1st place, 2014 1st place, 2015 1st place
    G, A, +/-, PIM, SOG, HIT, BLK GS, W, GAA, SV%, SO
    C= Stall, Marchessault, Hayes, Suzuki
    LW= Svechnikov, Goodrow, DeBrusk,
    RW= P.Kane, Kucherov, Fiala, Johnson
    D= Rielly, Borowieki, Fowler, Hagg, Murphy
    G= Demko, Samsonov, Jarry, Allen, Shesterkin, Talbot

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by Lucic17 View Post
    Let's face it Ottawa stinks.

Spezza is washed up. Their best defenseman is a rover who can't actually play D. AWFUL team defense. No scoring depth. Paul MacLean is a bug eyed fat walrus. Certainly this team can't go anywhere. They traded their best goalie for Cory Conacher then didn't use him properly and waived him, lost him for nothing. Who is the savior here? Zibanejad? Lazar?!

Alfredsson...oh wait...

Hey what says you Dobber Hockey Nation do you think the Ottawa Senators will make the playoffs?
    Did you start your account and this thread just to get Big Ev all riled up?
    10 team, head-to-head, multi-cat, keep-12 keeper league. CATS: G,A,+/-,PPP,PIM,SOG,HITS BS,SHP, W,SV,SV%,GAA,SO Daily rosters of 6F, 4D, 2 Flex, 2G

F: Crosby, Hall, Pacioretty, Hartnell, Neal, Nugent-Hopkins, Callahan, Dubinsky, Hossa, Huberdeau, Abdelkader, Bjugstad (IR)
    D: Karlsson, Hedman, Muzzin, Savard, Streit (IR)
    G: Lundqvist, Quick, Condon

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by Shiva Blaster View Post
    Did you start your account and this thread just to get Big Ev all riled up?
    I picture this guy as his Dr Jekl LOL
    3C - 3LW - 3RW - 6D - 2G

Dobber Sports Rookie

LOL @ Karlsson's "Norris" like he was deserving of the award.

What a joke

Dobber Sports Stud

In the last 16 years nobody reached his point totals for defencemen, except Lidstrom and Leetch, in 2005 and 1998.

That really puts Karlsson among bad company LOL
    3C - 3LW - 3RW - 6D - 2G

Banned

I think they'll continue to be in the mix for one of the wildcard spots. The East has a glut of teams in that 85 - 95 pt range every year and they all duke it out for playoff spots, I see n reason why the Sens won't be part of that mix again next year. Often all that separates the haves from the have nots in that scenario is a timely winning streak, a hot goalie or a favorable schedule down the stretch so it would not surprise me at all if they were in next season.

They need to stop the bad deals though...the Ryan deal was fine but Bishop for Conacher and then waiving him? Ouch. Or ****ing Ales Hemsky for anything? Filatov?
    As Kenny Rogers said 'know when to hold em, know when to fold em'...

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by mister_mcgoo View Post
    I think they'll continue to be in the mix for one of the wildcard spots. The East has a glut of teams in that 85 - 95 pt range every year and they all duke it out for playoff spots, I see n reason why the Sens won't be part of that mix again next year. Often all that separates the haves from the have nots in that scenario is a timely winning streak, a hot goalie or a favorable schedule down the stretch so it would not surprise me at all if they were in next season.

They need to stop the bad deals though...the Ryan deal was fine but Bishop for Conacher and then waiving him? Ouch. Or ****ing Ales Hemsky for anything? Filatov?
    As Kenny Rogers said 'know when to hold em, know when to fold em'...

hemsky and filatov were both low risk moves, no issue with that.

bishop for conacher was a risky move, but a move they felt they could do since anderson was the starter and lehner the golden boy to eventually take over. clearly in hindsight it didn't work out, looks like a pretty bad deal right now too.

i don't think they make the playoffs with their current roster, they need some guys that can actually play D. i'd rather have turris #1C, either sign a FA or slot zibanejed for #2C, and trade spezza for a top 2 dman, may need to add to him to get it done. not sure if any are available though...yandle? would phoenix dare to deal with ottawa again?

Dobber Sports Stud

Without some major improvements and retooling I am afraid I don't see the Senators making the playoffs next season.

I see them more of a bubble team. Hopefully for them and their fans they can make a run of it into the last week or so.

I just don't see any synergy on the team.

Individually there are obviously some standout players and performances but consistently over 82 games the math just add up to me. Then again that's simply just my opinion which means that for others it holds little value hehehe

but seriously the team's blueline just does not stand out to me and they need a 2nd rushing defenseman very badly
    Consider Sim Hockey because guys who play shutdown minutes, deflect shots and clear creases build championships. Yet in fantasy they litter the unwanted UFA lists.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by praba View Post
    hemsky and filatov were both low risk moves, no issue with that.
    true, but also completely unnecessary...why not hold onto your draft picks and draft smart so you're always developing talent?
    Even the Ryan deal I thought throwing in a 1st rounder on top of Silfverberg was too much

Banned

The fact that you think Bishop was their best goalie really tells me all I need to know lol

and talking about Spezza being washed up when he won't even be on the team...

Dobber Sports Initiate

Before this season many "experts" predicted Ottawa would win the Cup... lol.

Dobber Sports Superstar

The Jack Adams last year was warranted, abosultely.

I don't understand the Karlsson Norris though when he can't play defense. He puts up the points, and that's incredibly valuable, but to me that's not what that trophy is about. Thought it was a poor decision.

Looking back at their trades, they all seemed like big wins at the time. Bishop hadn't played well and everyone thought Conacher was a steal there. Ryan was a good pickup and no one expected their 1st rounder to fall this low, so again, good trade at the time, circumstances changed things a bit. Nothing wrong with taking a chance on Filatov and Hemsky for some picks. Filatov didn't work out, but Hemsky has palyed well and might be a nice verteran presence on the team.

The prediction of challenging for a wildcard spot is probably right, but they are only a hot goalie away from challenging for the division, and with Anderson and Lehner there, you can't count them out. There are definitely holes in the roster, but they have enough pieces to challenge for a palyoff spot and maybe surprise. I ultimately think they'll miss out again, but wouldn't be surprised if they don't.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Kofax View Post
    The Jack Adams last year was warranted, abosultely.

I don't understand the Karlsson Norris though when he can't play defense. He puts up the points, and that's incredibly valuable, but to me that's not what that trophy is about. Thought it was a poor decision.

Looking back at their trades, they all seemed like big wins at the time. Bishop hadn't played well and everyone thought Conacher was a steal there. Ryan was a good pickup and no one expected their 1st rounder to fall this low, so again, good trade at the time, circumstances changed things a bit. Nothing wrong with taking a chance on Filatov and Hemsky for some picks. Filatov didn't work out, but Hemsky has palyed well and might be a nice verteran presence on the team.

The prediction of challenging for a wildcard spot is probably right, but they are only a hot goalie away from challenging for the division, and with Anderson and Lehner there, you can't count them out. There are definitely holes in the roster, but they have enough pieces to challenge for a palyoff spot and maybe surprise. I ultimately think they'll miss out again, but wouldn't be surprised if they don't.
    Karlsson was great defensively in his Norris year, but he wasn't this year. He'll be back to being fine once fully recovered mentally and physically (and when the team plays better D as a whole).

The Ryan trade is still a big win. They gave up nothing but prospects and the first rounder is not that low. I would do that trade every time for a star forward.

Next year is gonna be a lower scoring team but a more stingier one. There will be many new faces.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Username View Post
    Before this season many "experts" predicted Ottawa would win the Cup... lol.
    Those were ridiculous, no doubt. Based on advanced stats for the most part...